Ryan O Neal cancer delusion?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Ryan O Neal cancer delusion?

Post by PainRack »

Ryan-O-Neal has cancer
He has already survived one serious health scare after beating leukemia.
And Ryan O'Neal has revealed he has another fight on his hands after being diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer.
The 70-year-old Oscar-nominated actor also said his doctors have told him he has a good chance of making a full recovery.

The Love Story star said: '"Recently I was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer.
'Although I was shocked and stunned by the news, I feel fortunate that it was detected early and according to my extraordinary team of doctors the prognosis is positive for a full recovery.
'I am deeply grateful for the support of my friends and family during this time, and I urge everyone to get regular check-ups, as early detection is the best defense against this horrible disease that has afflicted so many.'
Something sounds awfully weird with this quote.

1. Stage IV prostate cancer is curable? I mean, even with a well differentiated tumour, does this make sense?

2. You detected a Stage IV cancer "early"? By what definition is that early?

Anyone who knows better can tell me whether he's right or is Ryan too shocked from the diagnosis to be coherent?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Ryan O Neal cancer delusion?

Post by Sea Skimmer »

None of this is openly 'delusional' It is short on specific information. Stage IV prostate cancer actually breaks down into many different forms, with very different prognosis. Its not that good a guide to anything as a result. If it is still localized, has not spread into bones, and is well differentiated its still very treatable and it might even be possible to cut it all out. It could be 'early' in that it has only spread slightly from the prostate. Even with prostate cancer gets into the bones which is normally the worst place it can spread, it can still be treated with radioactive strontium-89 injections, its just not likely you'll actually stop it.

A full recovery however, well I dunno on that one. It may be highly treatable, and as long as the spread is stopped prostate cancer won't kill you but its very situational if you can actually eliminate prostate cancer. For one thing, he doesn't mention how aggressive the cancer is. If he has one of the less aggressive forms then hormone therapy alone may keep it in check for the rest of his life. I wish him the best of luck on this.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Assuming he's telling the truth and the doctors have given him a good prognosis, does that really count as 'delusional'?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

The very definition of a stage IV prostate cancer is that its no longer localised but has spread beyond the prostate.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/ ... ient/page2

I'm just curious in case there was some major breakthrough in the field .
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The definition is that it has spread past the prostate. As your own link indicates, without using the term localized one way or another I might add, what this actually means is highly variable. It could be anywhere from slightly into the fat around it to inside ones stomach or lungs or even brain. It can also spread down into the legs and knees. In fact Stage IV is often broken down into Stage IV D1 and Stage IV D2 to help with this distinction. D1 is a localized spread, mainly it means it has spread into the pelvic lymph nodes which actually wrap around the prostate, or the urethra and associated piping which also directly interlink with the prostate, while D2 means its wider ranging.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Ok... taking knowledge which is probably 5 years old, no stage IV prostate cancer is curable. Surgery for prostate cancer which has spread to the pelvic region isn't usually considered due to the poor benefits and other known side effects.

At that point, it really doesn't matter what Gleason score you have, because it isn't curable.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I've read elsewhere that it was Stage 2 prostate cancer not 4. Yahoo News.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Ryan O'Neal says the prognosis is positive for his recovery from recently diagnosed Stage 2 prostate cancer.

The 70-year-old actor said in a statement released through his publicist on Monday that he was "shocked and stunned by the news" but feels fortunate the disease was caught early. He says he's expected to make a full recovery.

A memoir about his romance with actress Farrah Fawcett, "Both of Us: My Life With Farrah," will be published on May 1. Fawcett died in 2009 after a public battle with cancer.

O'Neal says he's grateful for the support of his friends and family and advocates regular exams since early detection is the best defense.

Higher stage numbers mean more extensive disease, with Stage 4 being the highest, according to the National Cancer Institute.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Turns out the Daily Mail is wrong again.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED by this development.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Lol. So, its not Ryan with the delusion, but rather, the Daily mail. Duly noted.