MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by Edward Yee »

I at first wanted Edgar to suffer for this, but now... now I don't even want him around the title picture enough for that, I just want him to go away so that we can have Henderson vs. Pettis II. Now that's not happening and I'm disappointed.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Henderson v Pettis II would have just shown how far Ben Henderson has come since WEC and how far Pettis hasn't. I still think that Pettis runs for and maybe even gets the strap one day, but that time is not now.

Edgar v Henderson II is a good fight and really, the only one that makes sense given how confused the top of the LW division is right now.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Dana White: officially against half-point judging until MMA commission judges can properly add 10s and 9s (or 10s and 8s) first.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Half point judging is fucking dumb. Why give judges additional granularity to fuck up?

Score 10-10s and 10-9s and 10-8s properly. Round too close to realistically name one guy a winner? Then it's 10-10, if you have to say "you can make an argument that..." then 10-10 is probably the correct score for that round. 10-9 for when one guy displays a clear edge. 10-8 for beatdowns/serious control. 10-7 for things like when a Cyborg fight went longer than a round.

Honestly though, judges need to have their decisions more carefully reviewed, have commissions investigate scorecards and push guys off pro shows and into shadow or video judging and amateur stuff until they start doing it properly again.

And for god's sake. Stop hiring this guy:

And it shits me that Dana and the UFC will cry foul over judging and lack of monitors and everything like that, but when they go to a non-regulated territory and act as their own pseudo-commission, they bring in the same rubbish judges and don't have instant replay or anything else.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Man, I'm going through serious MMA withdrawal right now. We had an event every week for a month & half and now it's a month & half of nothing. This is what I'm reduced to watching. Seriously.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What? You're not watching Bellator, where Eric Prindle just won their heavyweight tourney after getting kicked in the nuts, then having the flu and then his opponent finally missing weight?

MMA ladies and gentlemen, we're a real sport.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I normally would, but our TV schedule is totally screwed up from March Madness (college basketball tournament) so I can't watch the fights unless I pirate them. We used to get the Bellator events about a week after they go down but all we're getting this month is fucking basketball.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

March Madness kills everything.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Today in MMA hilarity:

NSAC spot test all participants of the UFC146 press conference. No notice, non standard timing test? Of guys like Overweight, Mir, Bigfoot Silva and Velasquez? You know that someone is getting caught mid cycle.

NSAC suspend King Mo for 9 months and fine 39k after not buying his tainted supplements excuse. Please note that prior cheats like Sonnen only got 6 months and 2.5k. After being asked sarcastically by a NSAC official if he could read and write English during the hearing he tweeted that she seemed like a racist bitch. And Dana fired him.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:NSAC suspend King Mo for 9 months and fine 39k after not buying his tainted supplements excuse. Please note that prior cheats like Sonnen only got 6 months and 2.5k. After being asked sarcastically by a NSAC official if he could read and write English during the hearing he tweeted that she seemed like a racist bitch. And Dana fired him.
If you're gonna lie, you gotta lie big and come up with something that the commission hasn't heard before. Everyone's done the tainted supplements excuse but I think Sonnen was the first to claim hypogonadism, and he made a goddamn circus of the whole thing. Of course that one's not going to work for much longer since everyone's getting on the testosterone replacement bandwagon so they're going to have to come up with a new one soon.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

And Overeem tests positive with a 10:1 T/E ratio. Inconceivable! Who coulda seen that coming?
Apparently Dana White just popped a gasket and is in full f-bomb mode. Man this is going to be fun.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That's without going into Rampage "How to perform a rape" "comedy" video that also appeared.

But ywh. Reem was already in trouble for the criminal charges over assaulting a woman, now this.

Add in Rampage...

I envision that Zuffa HQ resembles the Reactor 4 control room right about now.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

On the plus side, if Reem is out.

There's a man on that card on a win streak.

He's got a chin tested by the best.

He's got a narrative to blow all other comers out of the water.

MARK HUNT.

UFC TITLE SHOT.

LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

weemadando wrote:On the plus side, if Reem is out.

There's a man on that card on a win streak.

He's got a chin tested by the best.

He's got a narrative to blow all other comers out of the water.

MARK HUNT.

UFC TITLE SHOT.

LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
oddly enough i think hunt is a better match up for jds than Mir
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Mark Hunt, because I had a horrifying mental image of JDS vs. Mir becoming "Silva vs. Maia II" at heavyweight.

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

aerius wrote:And Overeem tests positive with a 10:1 T/E ratio. Inconceivable! Who coulda seen that coming?
Apparently Dana White just popped a gasket and is in full f-bomb mode. Man this is going to be fun.
Seconded, I am shocked, abosolutely shocked that Overeem failed a drugs test, he has such a natural looking physique that I found it hard to believe people were even accusing him of using PEDs. Next people will be telling me Chael Sonnen doesn't have that high an opinion of Anderson Silva.

As for who to replace him, what about Dan Henderson? He's on a bit of a roll, he can take a hit and it wouldn't mes up the card (as just about every other heavyweight is already booked to fight). He'll probably be at a weight disadantage though.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I doubt it'll be Hendo.

In order of likelihood:

1) Mir - he's had a win over Nog, but has looked crap. Yet he must have the dirtiest dirt on Dana and the Fertitta's because he seems to get shots any time they need a fill-in.

2) Overeem - Yes. He didn't hold a current license in Nevada, so the failed test means that he cannot be suspended. They could move this to the Brazil card and put Overeem in anyway.

3) Werdum - Last loss was to Reem, which is now discredited. And he was forced out of the UFC by JDS. So there's a narrative there.

4) Jon Jones - There's a bit of talk about Jon Jones jumping up to Heavy for this and Hendo stepping in against Rashad. I can see this happening simply because the universe hates Rashad.

5) Mark Hunt - Just because.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Excuse me, but I have seen Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Paulo Thiago and... oh my.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

LEAD WITH YOUR CHIN SON.

LEAD WITH YOUR CHIN.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

weemadando wrote:I doubt it'll be Hendo.
In order of likelihood:
Dana has said it won't be Mir or Hunt now. I'm starting to think that if Overeem doesn't fight, they will simply pull JDS off the card and have him fight the winner of Cain v. Mir (or someone like Antonio Silva if he smashes Nelson well enough) at a later date. That would suck the most, but it won't surprise me.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

They're going to get Overeem licensed.

Or they'll just move the fight to Brazil.

Overeem has too much invested in him now for them to just dump him.

Not to mention that they seem to hate JDS and want to be rid of him as champ.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Is it me or do British teams lack some tactical nous? "You're a Warrior!" (rar) was awesome insight there when the other team completely just dismantled your fighter.

That was my favourite fight so far tonight; the Rory vs Che fight.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It was a total mismatch, but many Rory is violent.

Jones fought a really good defensive fight and Rashad couldn't adjust.

Pulling guard the avoid the last second haymakers was smart.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

TestosteReem is blocked from applying for a license for 9 months, backdated to test date. What's that? He can be licensed just in time for the NYE card? How convenient! Despite having a Doctor who has had multiple issues with authorities before ranging from domestic violence to faking prescriptions. Hell, he's been blocked from prescribing painkillers because he was clearly farming them out.

THIS IS THE MAN YOU SAY IS YOUR FUCKING FIGHT DOCTOR?

This is also without going into the fact that apparently he bolted when the spot tests were announced and had to be tracked down by the UFC to have them administered. Or the fact that his statements and the doctor's were internally inconsistent AND contradicted each other.

MMA. Continuing to be a fucking joke. Reem should have been given AT LEAST a 2 year ban.

It just makes it even more ridiculous that for 1.5m (quoted by the head of WADA), the UFC could have Olympic style testing of ALL their contracted guys year round. But clearly, that's not a priority for them as their big draws like Reem and Sonnen are fucking cheats.

Speaking of Sonnen, he skates on his continued racism and the UFC gets fully racist with their excuses for not running the Brazil card. What a fucking joke. Own up to the fact you didn't do your homework and double-booked your card against a goddamn UN conference.

And finally some good news. Hector Lombard is a UFC fighter. Now we can see just how much of his record really was pure can crushing. I reckon we see him v Stann or the winner of Palhares/Belcher first.

Mang. Paul Harris v Lombard. That's my jam.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Finally caught got up on my MMA. Rashad didn't get knocked out but he pretty much looked like GSP's last 9 opponents once Jones cracked him with an elbow in the 2nd round. You could practically see him realize that he's fucked, and that there's nothing he can do to win the fight. Rashad ain't the brightest fighter around, he didn't even try making adjustments or doing more of what was working. He was landing a high percentage of leg kicks but instead of throwing more of them to hurt Jones' legs and take away his power & movement he went head hunting. It's a 5 round fight, you have plenty of time to work his legs over and then go for the kill. Not to mention deer in the headlights and not going for broke in the 4th & 5th rounds.

Che Mills and Rory went about as expected, when you have no takedown defence and a shitty ground game, you're kinda screwed. Rory just exploited his weaknesses for all it was worth and brutalized the hell out of Mills.

Oh yeah, and Overeem. What was that excuse again? They gave him testosterone to treat a rib injury? You didn't know there was roids in the injection? Really? So that steroid needle just picked itself up and jabbed you in the ass?