General SCA Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LadyTevar »

Sorry, Bear... Autocrat is the traditional SCA name for the event coordinator. Another name that is slowly gaining respect is the Event Steward.

As the Autocrat, my job is to make sure everyone knows their responsibilities, gets their jobs done, and handles any emergencies that pops up. Right now, however, as potential autocrat, my job is to find a site to hold the event, figure out how much of a budget I need, and how much to charge how many people to break even, and then submit the proposal to first my Barony for approval, and then the Kingdom. IF the bid is accepted, THEN the fun begins.

Site fee to be paid. Menu to be approved and funds paid out. Schedule of events, decoration for the hall, event announcements in various publications. Reservations to be taken, site tokens to be bought/made. I've done it before, and it's a juggling act even with a small event like 12th Night, with only 200 attendees.
Blackstone Raid is expecting 800, and last for 3 days. I don't think I'm up for that. Not just yet.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

LadyTevar wrote:Blackstone Raid is expecting 800, and last for 3 days. I don't think I'm up for that. Not just yet.
That sounds like something they'd give to a Pelican. Are we aiming for a peerage, dearie? ;)

(Unless you're already one and I just don't know, which is always possible)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Uh... no... no one's ever gotten a Pelican out of running this event. It's not Pennsic or anything. Hell, I don't think anyone's ever got a Pelican out of Pennsic either...

It's just an event we run and have run for the past 21yrs

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And after two weeks of frantic sewing and fretting, it's Time.

As of tomorrow I'll be on-site and in garb, and having fun :)

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I note His Grace Duke Dag Thorgrimsson is competing in the Midrealm Crown Tournament this spring. I thought his last (sixth) reign was supposed to be his last; he swore up and down that it would be, at any rate...

How he left the throne last time, in case anyone's curious. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

One good reason to go to AEthelmearc AEcademy this coming weekend?
The Wilderness of Mirrors: Espionage and Covert Operations in the Pre-Modern Age

Description: This course will touch on the history of intelligence-gathering, cryptography, and secret operations in classical China and Rome, medieval Byzantium, and Elizabethan England. Special attention will be paid to the intelligence services of the Vatican, Sir Francis Walsingham, and the Gunpowder Plot. If tie permits, practical exercises in cryptography and the memory palace mnemonic system will be included.
2 hour class, but I am SO THERE!!!

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

why am I worring about est virginia's civil service government and secretaries using cryptography....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The king's chalice has gone missing from the Midrealm Regalia.

Rather than involve the police, Dag VII has dispatched some knights to quest for it. This probably means that it is "missing" at the hands of the usurper of Dag VI, who was assassinated May 1, AS XLV, and whose Secret Evil Journal references moving some of the treasury to a more secure location. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Oh dear.... At least Dag the 7th isn't an evil bastard

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Eh. Dag's still Dag. He awarded me arms in his sixth reign, the week before he did the whole "imprisoned by an imposter" thing, and he still made me kneel in a mud hole to get it. :razz: His license plate reads "6X REX" Guess he'll need to change it to 7 now. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

We have another 'repeat' on the throne again. Sometimes I wish there was a way to ban them from winning after 3 reigns.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

LadyTevar wrote:We have another 'repeat' on the throne again. Sometimes I wish there was a way to ban them from winning after 3 reigns.
But then you would deny Trimaris the awesomeness of a King Bytor for the newer people. :(

But then I don't know how close together your repeats are. From my (limited) experience it isn't much an issue here, whether because it's just more competitive or if those who could easily do it simply don't enter as often out of choice.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Here's the spread for the Midrealm. Dag is by far the most frequent to sit the throne, now on his seventh reign, but there have been several repeats. Duke Palymar has ruled four times, and in my opinion could easily win again if he so chose, but he no longer enters. (Instead, he occupies himself as oddsmaker for the Crown Tournaments...) Duke Moonwulf had his two and I know for a fact explicitly decided to quit because you don't get higher than duke and he'd rather retire to rule his barony (he's been Baron of Rivenstar for a long time and will have the post as long as he wants it) than keep doing Crown. Dag's reigns haven't been very frequent, though; he's been married three times and made each of his wives a duchess, which is why his reigns have come in pairs. :razz: I'm not sure what the deal is with the seventh, though scuttlebutt is that Anne-Marie wanted him to do it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I am amused by how many of those names I know, and think I've met. I see Moonwulf most often, when he's performing at Marcon.

Osis... :( I wonder how many more reigns he could have had, rest his soul. My 'other-brother' was squire-brother to the lady that was also in the car. He put one of his spurs in her coffin, and whenever someone asks why he has just the one, he speaks of her.

DieselJester
Youngling

Post by DieselJester »

I just happened to be browsing and found this sticky thread (and I apologize in advance if this is considered thread necromancy). I just recently joined the SCA myself in the Kingdom of the West (Shire of Earngyld up in Juneau to be specific) and was surprised to find an SCA thread here. I had no idea that the SCA was this big!
"Incoming Fire has the right of way."
-Murphy's 18th Law of Combat.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

We're worldd-wide, and you are surprised, M'lord?

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Meridies has declared for the Midrealm for Pennsic this year.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Speaking of Meridies and the Midrealm, video from Border Raids. This was the first real test of my new camcorder filming large melees, and I think it performed admirably. Turn it up to 1080p if your connection can handle it. :)

As you can see, the marshals invited the various people with cameras down to stand in the "river" for the second and third bridge battles. I'd never been that close with a camera before. :D
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Just back from Pennsic. I don't think it's fair that I got all the fighting I could stomach in the woods while the princess of Atlantia had to lay down against a tree and take a nap because there wasn't room for her in the line. :razz: Video's uploading now (though sadly not of the woods since it's a bitch to film; I may have to look into wearable cameras in the future).
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You could have stepped aside and let her fight, you know.

Once again, I skipped Pennsic due to Nitram's health, so I just get the stories of how fun it was. BTW: they did post the Known World Dance Competition to Youtube.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I've heard Pennsic has gotten...odder? In that people walk around with fairy wings and vampire teeth and other things normally frowned upon in the SCA but get away with it there.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You would have to ask someone else, Rogue. I was not there this year.

However Pennsic is open to members outside the SCA, such as Rennies, TuChux, etc. As long as they make an effort to be period, we overlook some of their antics.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

LadyTevar wrote:You could have stepped aside and let her fight, you know.
I was desperately trying to sneak around their line so I could stick her for her arrogance, actually. :P I was obliquely referencing the fact that Midrealm muster for the battle was 88 and the East's was 220.

And I didn't see any Rennie bullshit at the war. I saw lots of Tuchux bullshit, but there's no escaping that.

ANYWAY.

Each is first in a series, but rather than embed thirty some-odd videos I'll let you guys go to YouTube if you're interested. :)

Edit: And this right here is my favorite video of the war, and it isn't even mine. :mrgreen:

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote:I saw lots of Tuchux bullshit, but there's no escaping that.
I'll probably regret this, but...what is Tuchux? Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to sully this thread.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

RogueIce wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:I saw lots of Tuchux bullshit, but there's no escaping that.
I'll probably regret this, but...what is Tuchux? Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to sully this thread.
They're fans of that other banned topic of the board, the Gor series. If you don't know a lot about it, they pass as a Conan-esque attempt at Germanic barbarians as long as you don't look too closely at the women. They were on the side of the battlefield closest to the castle where I was filming from, so my videos have lots of close-in shots of them in action if you care to look. There's lots of them, but they mostly keep to their own camp, so you only have to put up with their chanting and so forth when they're marching to the battlefield.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!