NFL 2012

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Slacker
Jedi Knight

Re: NFL 2012

Post by Slacker »

The Tebow on the Jets thing is...oy, my stomach acid is still churning. If only he'd just become a TE or RB.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

It was reported that Tebow felt he had a better chance to start with the Jets than with the Jaguars, and I call bullshit. I think he knows that his mythos he is relying on for big paydays is going to dissipate if he goes 3-13 leading Jacksonville, no way is he getting more snaps competing with Sanchez than he would get competing with whatever walk on the Jags use this year.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Agreed.

In other news, Tebow wants to be the starter for the Jets. I'll never say this again but...Sanchez is better. Ooops.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

And Hines Ward retires, rather than play for another team. I imagine he got some disheartening offers from other teams before making that decision.
Last edited by Terralthra on 2012-03-25 01:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If he got any offers at all. When a well-run organization like the steelers think you are done, you are most likely done.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I think his concussion issues scare more teams away than his age, or at least combined with his age. Hines should have, for his health, considered retirement anyway.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Thanas wrote:^Agreed.

In other news, Tebow wants to be the starter for the Jets. I'll never say this again but...Sanchez is better. Ooops.
I have never seen so many angry Jets fans as I have over this last weekend. And if there's one thing that Jets fans can do correctly, it's impotent fury.

At least my wife does it right: we have officially made the switch. She's getting a Ray Rice jersey, whilst I will be sporting the Sizzle. The real trick will be finding a place that broadcasts Ravens games.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

So you abandoned the Jets because they got a mediocre backup for their mediocre starter, so you switch to a team (jerseys and all) that still has a mediocre quarterback?

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Darth Fanboy wrote:So you abandoned the Jets because they got a mediocre backup for their mediocre starter, so you switch to a team (jerseys and all) that still has a mediocre quarterback?
Who swept the division and only lost to the Patriots....while your team waddled off after being defeated by that same mediocre backup.
------------
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Darth Fanboy wrote:So you abandoned the Jets because they got a mediocre backup for their mediocre starter, so you switch to a team (jerseys and all) that still has a mediocre quarterback?
Ray Rice is from our alma mater, and is by far the most successful alum. Also we got to see him play a lot in his college days, which was fun.

Also, I cannot overstate how much my wife despises Tim Tebow for his personal politics.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Well as do I but you don't even have to leave New York/New Jersey to change teams. Good time to jump on the G-Men bandwagon!

CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Well as do I but you don't even have to leave New York/New Jersey to change teams. Good time to jump on the G-Men bandwagon!
No, all Giants fans know that the best time to jump on the bandwagon is the day after the New York Post runs its next "Fire Coughlin" story.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Buffalo News reporter Mark Gaughan has gotten his hands on a league document, or so he says, stating that Mark Anderson's contract has a total value of $19.5 million, with $7.9 million guaranteed, not the $27.5 million reported by Adam Schefter.

1. Nice job, Mr. "Insider".
2. Way to go OBD. Haven't said that in for fucking ever.

Of course, the last time we had signings that addressed glaring needs, they were named Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker and Tutan Reyes. Biggest, slowest, least physical line in the league.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Eagles lost Peters for the season with a ruptured Achilles tendon -yikes!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I just saw on NFL Network that a documentary filmmaker who was covering the Saints back in January supposedly has footage of Gregg Williams exhorting his men to injure several 49ers, including Alex Smith and Vernon Davis.

I hope he's kicked out of the League for good. What a dick!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Link to quotes
• Williams turned to the concussion history of 49ers wide receiver Kyle Williams: "We need to find out in the first two series of the game, the little wide receiver, No. 10, about his concussion. We need to (expletive) put a lick on him, move him to decide. He needs to decide."

• On 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree: "We need to decide whether Crabtree wants to be a fake-ass prima donna or he wants to be a tough guy. We need to find that out, and he becomes human when you (expletive) take out that outside ACL."

• Williams returned to Gore and 49ers tight end Vernon Davis: "We need to decide on how many times we can meet Frank Gore's head. We need to decide how many times we can bull rush and we can (expletive) clip Vernon Davis' ankles over the pile ... respect comes from them fearing us."
Screw him and the saints.
------------
------------
My LPs
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

The knees will kill him. There are still "tough guys" around the league (ex-players and players) who don't give a damn about concussions one way or another, but to intentionally go after the knees is the unforgivable sin in most player's eyes.

That's the impression I've always gotten from the tone that former players take when they talk, and I know that's the way we felt when I was playing in high school. Kick'em in the balls, punch'em in the ribs, try and hit'em so hard they wobble off the field...but going for the knees makes you scum.

Logically, trying to inflict brain damage is the worse one, and I know that...but my own gut reaction was not "Woah, he wanted to concuss Alex Smith" but "Woah, he actually told them to try and blow out Michael Crabtree's knee".

As scummy as all this bounty stuff has already been...I was still a little surprised that he explicitly said that; its worse than I had even thought it was.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah.

I think the saints may very well deserve to get yearlong suspensions or even bans for players like that thug Vilma who not only went along with it, but also paid money into the bounty pool.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

In other news, the schedule has been released. My complaint:

Wk 10: Raiders @ Ravens
(Steelers: KC @ PIT)
WK 11: Ravens @ PIT
WK 12: Ravens @ SD
Steelers @ Browns
WK 13: Pit@BAL

Really? You give us the Raiders before a Pittsburgh game and then have us go against SD while the Steelers only have to face the Browns? WTF, guys? Yeah, let's force us to make a trip to SD in between. It's only the other half of the country, dicks.

Oh yeah, and we will face 13 Pro-Bowl QBs....and RGIII. Great.

full schedule, aka FU RAVENS
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

New England gets the easiest schedule of all teams. Whaaaat?
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Wow, the Ravens really got screwed! :lol:

The Texans also got a crap schedule. I can't complain about the Chargers' schedule though.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Bills have:

Jets, Chiefs, Browns, Pats, Niners, Cards, Titans. I'd be very happy if we're 4-3 at the Bye.

Then Texans, Pats, Fins, Rams, Colts, Jags, Seahawks, Fins, Jets. I see perhaps five wins in there (double up on Flipper, Colts, Rams, flip a coin on the Texans/Seahawks).

9-7 is my call, unless we find a way to beat Rex Ryan.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Falkenhayn wrote:Bills have:

Jets, Chiefs, Browns, Pats, Niners, Cards, Titans. I'd be very happy if we're 4-3 at the Bye.

Then Texans, Pats, Fins, Rams, Colts, Jags, Seahawks, Fins, Jets. I see perhaps five wins in there (double up on Flipper, Colts, Rams, flip a coin on the Texans/Seahawks).

9-7 is my call, unless we find a way to beat Rex Ryan.
Well, unless Rex Ryan beats himself. Which he may, with this whole demented run two offenses plan.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Given that Tebow may be starting for them as soon as week six (oh god, please let this be true) there might be a good chance of that. Jets early schedule is pretty hard.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Yeah Thanas, the Ravens are the ones screwed by the schedule. The Steelers, who get two home games in the first seven weeks including a WEEK 4 bye week, are being coddled. Especially In those first three weeks at Denver, then at home, and then at Oakland. ;)