It must be hard keeping your dark side hidden in Star Wars

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

jollyreaper
Jedi Master

It must be hard keeping your dark side hidden in Star Wars

Post by jollyreaper »

The moment you turn evil you get sith-faced.

I supposed the wrinkles and smelling like burnt broccoli come later.

Master Obvious: Hey, Clueless. I'm kinda worried about your apprentice.

Master Clueless: Whatever for?

Master Obvious: Well, he's wangsting more than usual.

Master Clueless: Not unexpected. He is young, after all.

Master Obvious: And he's developed a strong affection for wearing cowls.

Master Clueless: The kids call them hoodies these days.

Master Obvious: His skin has gone gray and eyes are yellow and he's incapable of looking at anyone directly, always has to have his head tilted down and eyes rolled up to glare.

Master Clueless: It's just a phase.

Master Obvious: Have you noticed his lightsaber's now red?

Master Clueless: Now that you mentioned it, he did force-choke a barista at the coffee shop for getting his order wrong.

Master Obvious: Either your apprentice is turning Sith or into a teenage vampire.

Master Clueless: If he starts to sparkle I'll shove him out the airlock myself.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: It must be hard keeping your dark side hidden in Star Wa

Post by Adam Reynolds »

It is much easier than it seems. While Sith do generally see physical changes over time, it can still be concealed with proper concentration which is shown by your own source. Anakin manages to appear normal for Padme. In the Darth Bane trilogy, Darth Zannah even manages to infiltrate the Jedi Archives for research without setting off alarms by using cloaking techniques that cause her to appear as a normal Jedi. It is also more important for a Sith to cloak their essence in the Force than it is for them to worry about their appearance, Jedi would be more likely to notice the disturbance in the force of a SIth Lord than they would his appearance.
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

...you're completely right. Hence why Obi Wan assumed in AotC that the Jedi would be aware of a sith lord influencing the Senate; they'd feel it even more profoundly than they can see physically. Hence why Darth Zannah needed an elaborate sith ritual in order to conceal her identity from the Jedi. Yoda appeared to have sensed Anakin's fall in RotS as well.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Nothing some makeup and contacts won't cure. Also there are dozens of force sensitive species were there are no visible signs (Kinda hard to get dry skin when you have an exoskeleton to begin with) as well as cannon examples of Jedi who fall who don't get all emo. The only ones who get the corruption look are the people for lack of a better word "basting" in the dark side. The Mwahhaa I am evil and angry 100% of the time. The people who have anger issues and don't take prisoners and generally don't act like a Jedi but don't act like evil Lincoln but are still dark jedi don't have the corruption.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:It is also more important for a Sith to cloak their essence in the Force than it is for them to worry about their appearance, Jedi would be more likely to notice the disturbance in the force of a SIth Lord than they would his appearance.
Doesn't the dark side fog normal jedi/light-force magic? in that case they'd have to reduce this 'absence' of force, rather than concealing their darkness. In that case, appearing to be a normal human would be easier disguise than being an all-powerful jedi.
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

the shroud of the dark side was something specific to Darth Bane's order (maybe even something specific to Darth Sidious), as far as I know Dark side effect the Light side in and off itself.

that said even really powerfull Sith can mask their corruption should they choose to do so, Darth Sidious was one example and Darth Zash is another (she looks like a normal blue eyed blond in her 30s or 40s(it's hard tell due to the art style) dispite being very powerfull in the dark side (she's the Sith inquisitor's master in SWTOR)), though it seems that in both these cases once the mask is dropped it cannot be reapplied so it might be more a case of "using the dark side to cure the effects" then hiding them.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n