"The Walking Dead" Season 2 Part II Discussion (Spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: "The Walking Dead" Season 2 Part II Discussion (Spoilers

Post by JME2 »

Well, I enjoyed it. The was actually less surprised by the infection revelation and more by Rick confessing he'd killed Shane to the entire group. Both revelations could damage his authority, yet I think everyone's going to be too scared of him.

And since he's a fan of the comic,I know that Michonne's cameo elicited a yell of delight from one of my friends miles away in Sacramento.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

They probably should have taken the time to make the RV a little less of a death trap.

Also, I know the samurai girl with the chained zombies is a fan favorite, but she did not seems to fit into the show's universe.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

spaceviking wrote:They probably should have taken the time to make the RV a little less of a death trap.

Also, I know the samurai girl with the chained zombies is a fan favorite, but she did not seems to fit into the show's universe.
What, like put a bar across the door??? I don't even get how that happened, it rumbled forward like it was gonna just splatter spree walkers, and then... stopped and let them in? Also, way to put down your gun buddy, you needed at least a baseball bat for close in action. Glenn and Maggie should have been in that thing, not The One Guy by himself. Rick and Carl didn't even get in! That whole post about making it a mobile fortress from last week? Nope, it's still just a POS.

As for the other ignominious death, that goes to Patricia, she and the other guy were pretty much red shirts though you could tell by their lack of significant development.

The way Rick confessed to killing Shane was very organic. he wasn't ready to say exactly what happened at first, he had to deal with that critical thought that never got voiced when he saw him reanimate, that everyone is infected.

Um that was not at all a surprise revelation by the way. I would be MORE surprised if he told Rick everyone is infected byt that he alone is immune.

Lori gets the Fuck You award. Three episodes ago she TOLD him to kill Shane to protect them. He kills Shane after Shane kills another guy and walks Rick out into the fucking woods to kill him and she has a problem with it now? I don't care HOW pregnant you are, that's awful.

I thought herschel was going to die, probably a half dozen times, they kept faking me out!

T Dawg was all talk. he made a big deal of "Lets go to the sea, it's safer!" Twenty minutes later they're leaving his truck behind and he's... not driving it to the sea, where it's safer. We also apparently didn't siphon gas from other cars this time around either, probably because of the random walker strolling by, but wouldn't they have been SAFER right there? the herd had already passed by and was through the woods, if you really want to deter them, just turn a couple cars sideways and block the road so they walk off the side like lemmings, OR, spend like...days piling up to move the car.

Andrea is firmly committed to Not Going Out Like A Bitch. I don't find some of her skills plausible... but they are fun to watch. Apparently head shots are easy, guns never miss and, my god, running around a tree IS a viable strategy for dealing with a zombie, but How Slow was whom we presume to be Michonne approaching all of this that she could to two retarded limbless walkers along and not be noticed. I wonder if the hood masks her scent like camouflage.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I think the two limbless zombies are supposed to confuse the other walkers. I think they have there jaws removed, though I don't know why they are not still trying to eat her with what is left of their face.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

spaceviking wrote:I think the two limbless zombies are supposed to confuse the other walkers. I think they have there jaws removed, though I don't know why they are not still trying to eat her with what is left of their face.
Their faces did look bizarre. She probably trained them like you would a pet Tiger, to add to her ridiculous badassery

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Themightytom wrote:Lori gets the Fuck You award. Three episodes ago she TOLD him to kill Shane to protect them. He kills Shane after Shane kills another guy and walks Rick out into the fucking woods to kill him and she has a problem with it now? I don't care HOW pregnant you are, that's awful.
Yeah, the bizarre inconsistency in characterization is really annoying. When she was talking to Shane after getting him to come down from the windmill, (at first) I thought she was playing more psychological games, but then it got to be this sort of confessional thing.

I don't know how many of the others are bothered by Rick's killing of Shane, but he (Rick) DID give Shane many chances to back down. I don't think Darryl is particularly bothered by it, given that he explicitly told Carol that Rick was honorable AFTER the revelation that everyone is a carrier (I was curious to see Lori's reaction upon overhearing that) and if he's not bothered by that information, I don't think he cares much about Shane being dead by Rick's hand. He also knows Shane killed Randall and lied about it. Hershel, too, he gave his daughters a sort of sphinx reaction when he was looking at them, but he's on Rick's side. He wanted Shane gone from the beginning, so Rick has no problem with losing his support. The only people I can see being truly troubled by Shane's killing are Lori (until she isn't), Andrea (who has no idea yet but I doubt she will be happy about it), possibly Glenn and T-Dog. I think T-Dog and Andrea most of all are/will be bothered by it. Carol should have no love lost for Mr. Let's Abandon Everyone At Every Opportunity Including A Young Girl. Carol's a little freaked right now and wanting to run, but I think she will get over that seeing how she respects Darryl.

Anyway, Rick's biggest allies right now should be Darryl, Herschel and Glenn (in that order, with D & H tied for first), mostly because Rick has repeatedly gone out of his way to do something important for each of those men: going back for Merle, though it didn't work out; going back for Glenn and going back for Herschel. I think Glenn will get over it, he's just weirded out like Carol. T-Dog is the mystery. He did want to run, but he stayed. But he does not appear to be comfortable with what Rick has done, going by his facial expressions.

And Lori, well, we will have to see. I don't know what we can make of her just yet. I think she is upset about Carl being in danger and his seeing what happened to Shane and subsequent killing of Walker Shane, but what the hell, why wasn't she keeping an eye on him? How many times is she going to let him run off unnoticed?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Themightytom wrote:Lori gets the Fuck You award. Three episodes ago she TOLD him to kill Shane to protect them. He kills Shane after Shane kills another guy and walks Rick out into the fucking woods to kill him and she has a problem with it now? I don't care HOW pregnant you are, that's awful.
That was annoying and pissing me off too.

Does Lori not comprehend that conversation with Shane last week was what triggered the last stages of his breakdown?
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Watching it again, Lori didn't react to Rick killing Shane. She only reacted when Rick mentioned that Carl put down Shane as a walker. She is absorbing what Rick is saying about Shane. No look of horror. But the moment Rick mentions that Carl put down the Shane walker, that is the instant Lori has the look of horror.

Her innocent child isn't innocent anymore. Her child "killed" someone that he respected and cared for.

I cannot fault Lori's behavior in this episode.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

T Dawg was all talk. he made a big deal of "Lets go to the sea, it's safer!" Twenty minutes later they're leaving his truck behind and he's... not driving it to the sea, where it's safer. We also apparently didn't siphon gas from other cars this time around either, probably because of the random walker strolling by, but wouldn't they have been SAFER right there? the herd had already passed by and was through the woods, if you really want to deter them, just turn a couple cars sideways and block the road so they walk off the side like lemmings, OR, spend like...days piling up to move the car.
At least he actually talked. Honestly I was hoping that he would die, simply because underutilized characters annoy me.

Rick is probably in a stronger position now than ever before. The one person who had both experience and incentive to question his decisions is gone. Darryl isn't going to do it, and Hershel realised that his authority evaporated with his farm. And the women? Please. The only one remotely interested in being proactive and getting involved in the defense of the group is apparently gone. Shane was the only person who could have split up the group, and thank god he was dead because after Rick's revelation there might have been some serious problems.

How exactly are limbless zombie supposed to confuse other zombies? Am I missing something here?

As for Lori,as much as I hate her I have agree with Alyeska, it was probably Carl putting down Shane that pushed her over the edge. She knew that he was dangerous and that it might come to this. Carl being involved though... that must hurt.

And how exactly should she have known that Shane would take the smallest amount of kindness and honesty and feed off it in true psycho fashion? Near the end he was pretty disconnected from normal, rational behavior. She went out and tried to defuse the situation, and give him his due for the things he did for her.Hell, if she had been dealing with a sane individual it may have worked. Perhaps she should have been clearer but she shouldn't have to, she's with Rick, everyone knows it.

I personally think that it was Rick's decision last week that triggered Shane's meltdown. Honestly, it would be enough to make anyone blow steam out of their ears.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Farewell, that youngish guy and older woman. I had actually forgotten Patricia existed.

I was really quite concerned that they wouldn't meet up. Given that it was the series finale, I could see them splitting everyone into groups, lost and alone, at least until next season. It's too easy to imagine them all going off in their own ways, as I didn't hear them actually agree an rendezvous point.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Sinewmire wrote:I was really quite concerned that they wouldn't meet up. Given that it was the series finale, I could see them splitting everyone into groups, lost and alone, at least until next season. It's too easy to imagine them all going off in their own ways, as I didn't hear them actually agree an rendezvous point.
They didn't agree to one. That was a mistake they made. But each group figured out the highway was a common point they all know and it contained some supplies. So even without a prearranged meeting place, it was the logical rally point.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Scrib wrote: How exactly are limbless zombie supposed to confuse other zombies? Am I missing something here?

They are attracted by the scent of live human flesh. Being covered in a gore soaked rain poncho and trialed by limbless jawless zombies goes a long way towards being able to move freely.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Yeah, but even armless jawless zombies ought to still try and gnaw on you with their upper teeth. Hell, even if you removed all of a zombies teeth I imagine it would still try and gum you to death. We're talking about things that will mindlessly crawl towards you even if they don't have any legs left to walk on. Those walkers on chains seemed to be just standing around all docile. Didn't make any sense.

Gotta love the instant headshots from handguns against moving targets in the dark, and in some cases fired from moving vehicles. I can't even pull something like that off in a video game, how freaking hard would it be in reality? In some cases they were just snapping off shots randomly whilst running, in a panic, surrounded and in the dark. And still dropping walkers with flawless headshots.

To hell with Chris Redfield, put these guys in the next Resident Evil game and watch it turn into a cakewalk.

Who was flying that helicopter at the start of the episode?
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Also, I'm pretty sure that firing a shotgun out of a car like Glen was would fling you out of it, or at least severly unbalance you, unless it's one of those recoil-less shotguns I hear they have now.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Revy wrote:Who was flying that helicopter at the start of the episode?
Presumably, the same person flying it when Rick saw it after he entered Atlanta on horseback in the very first episode. He actually saw its reflection on a high-rise, got the horse into a gallop to get a better view, but then came upon the mass of walkers which killed the horse, allowing him time to escape into the tank. He told Andrea and the others stuck in the department store about the helicopter after Glenn guided him to them from the tank, but they dismissed it as a hallucination. Clearly, it wasn't.

The idea is that the helicopter sounds stirred up a bunch of the walkers from the city and they started the long march in the general direction of the farm, ultimately following the sound of the gunshot (that Shane fired as Rick stabbed him) to the farm itself.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I wonder who is flying a helicopter this late in the Zombie Apocalypse. It seems like the rest of the government has just collapsed completely.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I wonder who is flying a helicopter this late in the Zombie Apocalypse. It seems like the rest of the government has just collapsed completely.
Well, we really don't know anything. The Atlanta region has no government presence, but that does not mean that their is no remnant Federal or state governments still functioning.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I thought that was the helicopter we saw all the way back in the first episode. I don't have it available so I can't compare the two. I thought we were basically being told that these zombies travelled far and wide and by coincidence wandered close to Herschel's farm.

I mean when you think about it, walking all the way from the city to wherever Herschel's farm is would take weeks/months, especially for slow-moving walkers. And it's been a few months since the start of the story IIRC.

I could easily be wrong about this, and it's possible that whoever was piloting that helicopter might be revealed in the next season. But I doubt it. Also, now that I know they're going to do the prison plotline, I am both curious and wary to see the next season. Curious to see what deviations they will make from the comic, wary of what they will keep from it.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Revy wrote:Yeah, but even armless jawless zombies ought to still try and gnaw on you with their upper teeth. Hell, even if you removed all of a zombies teeth I imagine it would still try and gum you to death. We're talking about things that will mindlessly crawl towards you even if they don't have any legs left to walk on. Those walkers on chains seemed to be just standing around all docile. Didn't make any sense.

Gotta love the instant headshots from handguns against moving targets in the dark, and in some cases fired from moving vehicles. I can't even pull something like that off in a video game, how freaking hard would it be in reality? In some cases they were just snapping off shots randomly whilst running, in a panic, surrounded and in the dark. And still dropping walkers with flawless headshots.

To hell with Chris Redfield, put these guys in the next Resident Evil game and watch it turn into a cakewalk.

Who was flying that helicopter at the start of the episode?
Oh Fuck No, this show only staggers forward on the backs of their stupid moves, conversely, without the Umbrella Corporation trying to just fuck everyone over whenever possible, any of the Resident Evil characters would probably end up ruling WD Earth.
Stofsk wrote:I thought that was the helicopter we saw all the way back in the first episode. I don't have it available so I can't compare the two. I thought we were basically being told that these zombies travelled far and wide and by coincidence wandered close to Herschel's farm.

I mean when you think about it, walking all the way from the city to wherever Herschel's farm is would take weeks/months, especially for slow-moving walkers. And it's been a few months since the start of the story IIRC.

I could easily be wrong about this, and it's possible that whoever was piloting that helicopter might be revealed in the next season. But I doubt it. Also, now that I know they're going to do the prison plotline, I am both curious and wary to see the next season. Curious to see what deviations they will make from the comic, wary of what they will keep from it.
Rick saw it's reflection on a building, i think the walkers saw the real thing, started following it, and that is what started the gradual stampede. like a snow ball running downhill and becoming an avalanche, I think they were flashing back to show that this horde has been growing since Rick first went into town. I actually think they would have passed by if Carl hadn't shot Shane. They turned at the sound and changed the direction of the group that was heading across the highway and into the woods. If my spatial orientation is right, by the way, I think they probably would have going straight to the prison, if allowed to progress uninterrupted, the group turned around and didn't continue further along the highway from the point where they left Sophia's supplies. that was the direction the herd was originally stumbling in, and while they walked of the road and into the woods, the cars obviously stayed on the road. They would probably have ended up where the group was eventually if they hadn't turned towards the farm, and the spot the group was camping in was just short of the big walled prison in the distance.

I suppose the herd could resume heading towards the prison, if they were following the retreating cars, which explains why Andrea wasn't COMPLETELY fucked. She was fleeing stragglers. who saw her, and not the main herd. She started after Rick's truck when he left, but I believe she changed direction when she couldn't catch him, to grab the gun bag.

personally I would have headed towards the marshes, because while SHE is smart enough to aim for branches and solid ground, the walkers would have thinned out as they got stuck. In the dark, she runs the risk of getting stuck herself, but she seems to have managed a flight through the woods without turning her ankle, plowing into a tree or pulling her earlier bad habit of not noticing a walker standing next to her.
Sinewmire wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure that firing a shotgun out of a car like Glen was would fling you out of it, or at least severly unbalance you, unless it's one of those recoil-less shotguns I hear they have now.
Yeah and they were showing head shots. In Night Time Driving Off Road! I would have been more convinced if there was massive torso damage and a functionally useless walker flopping around on the ground.

Incidently Glen was a shitbag to Rick as well. Equating a barn full of walkers to the knowledge of infection? Seriously? Glen if you told everyone about the barn "because it was the right thing to do" you're an impractical idiot. You should have done it, because it was an imminent threat that needed to be identified, if not dealt with. The only remote comparison, is that if Rick hadn't told them and someone had died unbitten, they might have resurrected and killed someone. That COULD be Glenn's concern as maggie's suicidal sister was definitely that risk, but seriously? if she'd known, what would she have done about? Exactly what she did anyway, I think Glen's being a whiny bitch, Rick has done more than enough for him, that if he gets ballsy enough to take his woman and run he'll very quickly regret it.

Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Revy wrote:Yeah, but even armless jawless zombies ought to still try and gnaw on you with their upper teeth. Hell, even if you removed all of a zombies teeth I imagine it would still try and gum you to death. We're talking about things that will mindlessly crawl towards you even if they don't have any legs left to walk on. Those walkers on chains seemed to be just standing around all docile. Didn't make any sense.
I always thought the walkers work on a really simple primal level but do show animal like tendencies because of that, she could come across as an alpha zombie in some way. Few walkers show residual intelligence or memory, Morgan's wife coming home, one walker uses a rock to try to break the store window in season one. So I think the walkers could fall into place and "learn" almost like a de-clawed cat, lots of them get docile after that.
Last edited by Meest on 2012-03-21 05:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Stofsk wrote:I thought that was the helicopter we saw all the way back in the first episode. I don't have it available so I can't compare the two. I thought we were basically being told that these zombies travelled far and wide and by coincidence wandered close to Herschel's farm.

I have to agree with your assessment of the helicopter. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the animal they were eating was Rick's horse, and the subsequent scenes moved farther along in time until they joined the moment where Carl killed Walker Shane.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Sinewmire wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure that firing a shotgun out of a car like Glen was would fling you out of it, or at least severly unbalance you, unless it's one of those recoil-less shotguns I hear they have now.
Flinging you straight out the car is unlikely. The amount of recoil in your average twelve gauge isn't that crazy, and all Glen's doing is leaning out the window to shoot.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Torben wrote:

I have to agree with your assessment of the helicopter. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the animal they were eating was Rick's horse, and the subsequent scenes moved farther along in time until they joined the moment where Carl killed Walker Shane.
Animal was a dog.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Animal was a dog.
Which makes me wander just how these things are catching anything to eat other than the occaisional unlucky person. Some of them make sense, Rick essentially ran the horse straight into the group, and the rat we see the sewer entrance zombie eat was probably cornered. How the one they gutted in early Season 2 caught something in the woods, or the one that killed Dale got the cow I don't think I'll ever understand. Granted cows aren't the brightest of creatures, but as soon as it got near or touched the cow the walker should be either out of a meal due to a fleeing cow or simply be crushed by a few hundred pounds of pissed off bovine. Walkers aren't fast, and they certainly lack the brain power to use conventional human hunting methods. I really don't see how they should be able to manage to kill anything that isn't trapped in some way. The only thing humans have going for us as predators are brains and endurance, but the speed of the walkers pretty much renders thier superior endurance to man moot. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Another thought, might the zombie apoclypse simply be waited out? They seem to decay, albeit more slowly. The one we see Andrea brain with her pistol looked liked it had its skull caved in far too easily compared to what I imagine a living human's would take. I'm thinking that walkers probably aren't going to register as humans to most animals. With the possible exception of thier bipedalism, they certainly don't act like people and certainly aren't going to smell like humans after very long. Meaning most of the stray walkers should be picked off by wild/feral animals anywhere but the cities. In North America we have predators ranging from coyotes to bears just about anywhere and, depending on your location, wolves and mountain lions. I don't even want think about the carrion eating insects/insect larvae and what they will do to all the walkers, excepting those in climes precluding insect habitation. If you can avoid being killed for a year or so the walkers should largly cease to exist, excepting the most recent.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Heh, I hope everyone is now caught up with the details of the helicopter. :D
spaceviking wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:I wonder who is flying a helicopter this late in the Zombie Apocalypse. It seems like the rest of the government has just collapsed completely.
Well, we really don't know anything. The Atlanta region has no government presence, but that does not mean that their is no remnant Federal or state governments still functioning.
It appeared to be a civilian or possibly State Police sort of aircraft. It did not look military at all.

There was a different helicopter seen in the 6th webisode directing people to a park where they would be picked up and taken to Atlanta. But given that both events happened many weeks ago with respect to the finale, who knows what's left.