Avengers Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Re: Avengers Trailer

Post by The Cooler King »

Ahriman238 wrote:Am I the only one who thought of the dragon-aliens from the Mandarin's backstory when I saw they flying mechanical D-War reject?

The Makluans, yeah. Fin Fang Foom was one of them (as Tsyroc mentioned). If you look, the dragon-thing's 'face' does have that Kirby-esque Fin Fang Foom look to it.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Interesting, I'd completely forgotten about Blonsky from the more recent Hulk movie. Is there any dialogue or visual portrayal that would discount it from it being related to Cap's 1940s Super Soldier program? Or conversely, is there any sign of intentional clues that reinforce the connection?

The following is already known to be true, so I'm just stating the obvious, but since Tony Stark appears in the after-credits clip where he meets General Ross, we know that it's in the same continuity, since Tony's father Howard is involved in the Super Soldier program. Thus, it's the same U.S. government and U.S. Army that we see in the Captain America movie and the Incredible Hulk movie, though separated by ~60 years.
However, it's still possible that the two military human performance enhancement programs may be separate and unrelated, and I don't have the Hulk movie on hand, hence my question above.

Otherwise, it gives us a good picture of what movie Captain America may be capable of (as Streetad has already pointed out), and I would in fact expect Cap to be superior since Erskine performed the complete procedure on him including the "vita-ray" bombardment. And also because Cap is a swell guy, to begin with :)
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

The Cooler King wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:Am I the only one who thought of the dragon-aliens from the Mandarin's backstory when I saw they flying mechanical D-War reject?

The Makluans, yeah. Fin Fang Foom was one of them (as Tsyroc mentioned). If you look, the dragon-thing's 'face' does have that Kirby-esque Fin Fang Foom look to it.
Or it could be a different sort of shout-out. "The aliens have this huge dragon thing that looks like Mecha-FinFang, and that's the closest you'll ever get to seeing the big dragon in a movie."
Cykeisme wrote:Interesting, I'd completely forgotten about Blonsky from the more recent Hulk movie. Is there any dialogue or visual portrayal that would discount it from it being related to Cap's 1940s Super Soldier program? Or conversely, is there any sign of intentional clues that reinforce the connection?

The following is already known to be true, so I'm just stating the obvious, but since Tony Stark appears in the after-credits clip where he meets General Ross, we know that it's in the same continuity, since Tony's father Howard is involved in the Super Soldier program. Thus, it's the same U.S. government and U.S. Army that we see in the Captain America movie and the Incredible Hulk movie, though separated by ~60 years.
However, it's still possible that the two military human performance enhancement programs may be separate and unrelated, and I don't have the Hulk movie on hand, hence my question above.

Otherwise, it gives us a good picture of what movie Captain America may be capable of (as Streetad has already pointed out), and I would in fact expect Cap to be superior since Erskine performed the complete procedure on him including the "vita-ray" bombardment. And also because Cap is a swell guy, to begin with :)
It's subtle, but in Captain America they take Cap's blood samples and put them in a container identical to the one they got Blonsky's super-serum from. The only stumbling point I see is that blonsky started growing spines even before he became the Abombination, though that could easily tie into Erskine's "good becomes great, bad becomes worse" line.

For the fight itself, I didn't see anything that would be hard for Cap.

EDIT: swapped out video for a more complete one.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Blonsky if I recall, overdosed himself with the serum. But holly fuck adding Tim Roth to this cast and the Abomination? :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

New Japanese trailer for Avengers, very long and very detailed. Good looks at the skrull invasion, and the SHIELD helicarrier taking flight. This movie is going to rock.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Man, it is so cool that they have kept Ferigno as the voice of the Hulk. That's class.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Havok wrote:Man, it is so cool that they have kept Ferigno as the voice of the Hulk. That's class.
Is that a joke?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Nope. Why would it be? He made the Hulk a household name. Saved the comic from getting canned too, just like the whacky 60's Batman show did for that character way back when. Has been the voice in many of the cartoons.

I was bummed he had no attachment to the Ang Lee movie.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Havok wrote:Nope. Why would it be? He made the Hulk a household name. Saved the comic from getting canned too, just like the whacky 60's Batman show did for that character way back when. Has been the voice in many of the cartoons.

Didn't he have a cameo in both Hulk movies? I'm pretty sure he was a security guard in the Ang Lee one.

According to IMDB he was a security guard in the Ang Lee movie and provided a voice for a security guard in The Increbible Hulk.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Tsyroc wrote:
Havok wrote:Nope. Why would it be? He made the Hulk a household name. Saved the comic from getting canned too, just like the whacky 60's Batman show did for that character way back when. Has been the voice in many of the cartoons.

Didn't he have a cameo in both Hulk movies? I'm pretty sure he was a security guard in the Ang Lee one.

According to IMDB he was a security guard in the Ang Lee movie and provided a voice for a security guard in The Increbible Hulk.
He was a security guard at the college campus for Norton's Hulk. Remember Norton bribing the guard to let him through? The guard was Ferrigno.

In Ang Lee's movie. I believe he only appeared for a couple of seconds onscreen with Stan Lee.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Enigma wrote:He was a security guard at the college campus for Norton's Hulk. Remember Norton bribing the guard to let him through? The guard was Ferrigno.

In Ang Lee's movie. I believe he only appeared for a couple of seconds onscreen with Stan Lee.
You are right. Bruce Banner is walking into the building where his lab is while two guards are coming out. One of them is Stan Lee and the other one is Lou Ferrigno
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

ANGELUS wrote:
Enigma wrote:He was a security guard at the college campus for Norton's Hulk. Remember Norton bribing the guard to let him through? The guard was Ferrigno.

You are right. Bruce Banner is walking into the building where his lab is while two guards are coming out. One of them is Stan Lee and the other one is Lou Ferrigno
On that topic I wonder how they will have Stan Cameo in this one?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Bedlam wrote:
ANGELUS wrote:

On that topic I wonder how they will have Stan Cameo in this one?
They'll figure out a way somehow. A janitor, a pedestrian, etc... What ever the form, he'll be in the movie. :)

I'd like to know if Lou will make a cameo once again since the Hulk will be in the movie. :) Maybe as a security guard once again. :) On a side note, I'm very much impressed that he's kept himself in very good shape all these years even though he's getting on in years.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Just noticed on rewatching, Tony has a pair of 'backpack' jets on his armor, those weren't there in IM 1, anyone here who owns the second movie and can tell if it's part of his new armor?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Nope. It was just hand and feet jets just as in the first movie. Though given the way Tony likes to tinker him having yet another version of the armour shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ahriman238 wrote:Just noticed on rewatching, Tony has a pair of 'backpack' jets on his armor, those weren't there in IM 1, anyone here who owns the second movie and can tell if it's part of his new armor?
I liked that add on. If he's going to be using his palm repulsors as weapons while flying he's going need some additional thrust to keep him flying.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I think this is worth a post. :D

Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I'm pretty sure that as long as Iron Man makes movie appearances, we'll keep seeing new iterations of his armor, which both maintains the in-universe idea that Tony Stark keeps upgrading/modifying all his equipment, and in real life allows the production folks to keep coming up with cool looking designs.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Hahaha and good find, Bright, I loved that parody trailer :D

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Bright that trailer is truly a masterpiece. It's almost better then the actual trailer.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Ahriman238 wrote:
Cykeisme wrote:Interesting, I'd completely forgotten about Blonsky from the more recent Hulk movie. Is there any dialogue or visual portrayal that would discount it from it being related to Cap's 1940s Super Soldier program? Or conversely, is there any sign of intentional clues that reinforce the connection?

It's subtle, but in Captain America they take Cap's blood samples and put them in a container identical to the one they got Blonsky's super-serum from. The only stumbling point I see is that blonsky started growing spines even before he became the Abombination, though that could easily tie into Erskine's "good becomes great, bad becomes worse" line.
From The Incredible Hulk... General Ross goes into a cold storage room and pulls a cover off a nitrogen-filled cylinder. He looks at the data plate:

He opens the cylinder and draws out a vial of the serum:

Addendum, the Lou Ferrigno cameo: