Chinese Dissidents flood POTUS' Google+ page.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Chinese Dissidents flood POTUS' Google+ page.

Post by SirNitram »

Link
President Obama's page on Google's social network site has been inundated with messages in Chinese after restrictions in China were removed.

Every current topic on Mr Obama's Google+ page attracted hundreds of Chinese comments.

Some contributors made jokes; others said they were occupying the site in the style of western Occupy campaigns.

Google+ is normally blocked in China along with other social media that the authorities deem unacceptable.

Since Google+ was launched in 2011, software known informally as the Great Firewall had appeared to block it within China.

But on 20 February 2012 internet-users in many parts of China found they could gain access to the site - prompting some to suggest occupying it, in a tongue-in-cheek reference to the Occupy Wall Street campaign.

On 24 and 25 February, to the consternation of American readers, every current topic on President Obama's 2012 election campaign page attracted hundreds of comments, apparently from China.

Their exact provenance cannot be verified, but the expressions contributors used were in the style of mainland China and in simplified Chinese.

A few appealed for the liberty of the civil rights activist Chen Guangcheng, who is under house arrest.

Others asked about a recent political intrigue in south-west China, in which one of the country's top policemen, Wang Lijun, spent a day in the US consulate in Chengdu for undisclosed reasons.

But many simply voiced delight at their freedom to speak: they talked about occupying the furniture and bringing snacks and soft drinks.

The White House in Washington has not commented on the upsurge of Chinese interest in President Obama's campaign site.

But it has prompted one poster to suggest that if China ever abandoned its internet restrictions, the United States would have to protect its social media with a Great Firewall of its own.
A surprising but not unwelcome development. A victory for freedom of speech on a global scale.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Chinese Dissidents flood POTUS' Google+ page.

Post by K. A. Pital »

Not really surprising. During my stay in China I found websites were blocked and unblocked haphazardly according to the whims of officials at the time. I guess the 8th Department just feels like it.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Someone's going to say this, so it might as well be me. Given the stuff Obama has done since he took the presidency, is Obama really a good example for Chinese wanting freedom of speech? This strikes me as either a) curiosity in accessing a site that is normally blocked, and b) a case of the grass is greener on the other side mentality (in the case of those calling for freedom for human rights activist for a guy who locks people up without trial).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Wow, a reason to bust out my G+ account again. Time to make some 新朋友
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

mr friendly guy wrote:Someone's going to say this, so it might as well be me. Given the stuff Obama has done since he took the presidency, is Obama really a good example for Chinese wanting freedom of speech?
Would you call a man with, say, measles envying health of one that has 'merely' flu stupid? :roll:
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Irbis wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:Someone's going to say this, so it might as well be me. Given the stuff Obama has done since he took the presidency, is Obama really a good example for Chinese wanting freedom of speech?
Would you call a man with, say, measles envying health of one that has 'merely' flu stupid? :roll:
Since you want to go down that path dipshit, lets play along.

China jails citizens for subversion, ie interfering with their freedom of speech. Obama has them assassinated via drone strike. Let me think about that one. Well, at least the guy in jail is still alive. :roll: But hey, America's internet has more access, that makes it all better now.

By the way, the "merely" flu jibe is retarded to anyone who actually knows how bad influenza has been with pandemics and all. But I bet your reply is going to go down this tangent rather than the main point. AM I RITE?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

America murders other foreign non-people with drones, but its own citizens can go fat and protest around and vote meat products into office and marry hamburgers and wrap sheaths of polyurethane foam around their penises and engage in swordfights without fear of being imprisoned for anything. China might not murder foreign people, and might actually consider foreign people to be people not to be murdered with, but it's own people can't really go around being fat while rolling around in tubs of high fructose corn syrup in protest of this or that. So yeah, a country that murders foreign children that they don't consider as human while domestically nourishing its citizens on lard-infused generic lime gelatin is probably gonna be a funner place to be a citizen of (rather than soon-to-be-dead foreign-enemy-of) than the other country that doesn't allow its citizens to wrap themselves in giant strips of bacon and roll around the ground pretending to be democratically elected freedom marshmallows, even if this second country doesn't make a habit of turning foreign people into ground beef patties for its fatso citizens to eat for barbecue every Sunday after Jesus Time with a jug of mayonnaise and some A1 steak sauce.
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on 2012-02-28 11:13am, edited 1 time in total.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Also, the US still, through the Civil Rights Movement, the Women's Movement, the Suffragettes, the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, and so on, serves as an inspiration for people around the world struggling against oligarchic and oppressive governments, even though the US has fallen from those heights. So Obama serves, by being POTUS, as a powerful symbol of freedom, and hasn't done as much to dispel that as George W. Bush did or a number of our other presidents.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The world looks up to America as an inspiration for all things beautiful, right and free. To be as rich and as wise as an American, as they say!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

mr friendly guy wrote:Since you want to go down that path dipshit, lets play along.
I can 'play along' with people who have rudimentary reading comprehension, dear piece of turd :roll:
China jails citizens for subversion, ie interfering with their freedom of speech. Obama has them assassinated via drone strike. Let me think about that one. Well, at least the guy in jail is still alive. :roll: But hey, America's internet has more access, that makes it all better now.
China also executes most people per country on this planet, you ignorant piece of shit. And that without counting people who "disappeared". Then sells their internal organs for money to the wealthy. And it had been killing dissidents in the entire western half of the country for the last 60 years. But hey, Oblahma is worse! :roll:

...is the thing you have between your ears brown as well? You show about as much knowledge of this world as typical teabagger from Alabama, you dumb cunt.
By the way, the "merely" flu jibe is retarded to anyone who actually knows how bad influenza has been with pandemics and all. But I bet your reply is going to go down this tangent rather than the main point. AM I RITE?
Reading comprehension, you infantile cretino. Severity of the disease is precisely why I put 'merely' between ' ' marks, and I picked flu (and not, say, common cold) as an allegory of how bad and easily spread drone attacks are. I see I overestimated your IQ by about 60 points by picking something so difficult, though. Next time I'll write using simple words and BIG LETTURZ, ok? :roll:
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Irbis wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:Since you want to go down that path dipshit, lets play along.
I can 'play along' with people who have rudimentary reading comprehension, dear piece of turd :roll:
This should be good.

China also executes most people per country on this planet, you ignorant piece of shit. And that without counting people who "disappeared". Then sells their internal organs for money to the wealthy. And it had been killing dissidents in the entire western half of the country for the last 60 years. But hey, Oblahma is worse! :roll:
Nice tangent retard. Not relevant to my freedom of speech point. Would you like me to write it in big capital letters for you nice time dumbass, since you allegedly don't have a reading comprehension problem. Since you are too stupid, lets explain it simply. China jails people for saying the wrong thing. Obama has killed someone for saying pro AQ propaganda. For China to emulate that it will be worse than what they are doing now (surprise surprise, because in jail is better than being dead, a concept beyond your meagre intellect). This is the whole point fuckwit when I said Obama isn't a good person for them to emulate in regards to freedom of speech. Its not like there are other countries with human right records better to look up to. :roll: No sirree there ain't.

So fucking address the point. Is killing someone for saying things you don't like (without trial I might add) worse than jailing them for saying something you don't like. Yes or no answer would be fine, since you refused to address this point last time, and like a chickenhawk ran away in favour of raising other human right violations.

I could point out also that your red herrings even if there not, are without context, but that would be side tracking like yourself. But I see simple sound bytes are more your thing than sticking to the point.
...is the thing you have between your ears brown as well? You show about as much knowledge of this world as typical teabagger from Alabama, you dumb cunt.
Considering you don't seem to know that at worse, China has the most population of any country (hence your jibe about it executing the most people by itself doesn't mean much) or at best you need to try and correct for this for an accurate analysis, thats quite a statement. But then you also regurgitate a Falun Gong propaganda piece which even anti Chinese activist like Harry Wu found no evidence of, so you are one to talk about being knowledgeable. Tell you what, next time your parents do it ask them to use contraception instead.

Reading comprehension, you infantile cretino. Severity of the disease is precisely why I put 'merely' between ' ' marks, and I picked flu (and not, say, common cold) as an allegory of how bad and easily spread drone attacks are. I see I overestimated your IQ by about 60 points by picking something so difficult, though. Next time I'll write using simple words and BIG LETTURZ, ok? :roll:
Ha ha ha. Nice shifting of the goalposts, since you were describing "a man with measles" ie singular not plural. In that context there is no way in hell you were talking about spread of disease using only singular. I guess you better read your own posts Mr "I have no reading comprehension problem". Dishonesty aside, your shifting the goalposts is still an epic fail. Since your disease allegory was in regards to ease of spread rather than effects on a person, it still doesn't work. Because it was replying to my jibe which wasn't comparing spread (ie either country going on imperialistic military misadventures), my jibe was comparing effects of internal policy (in your stupid analogy, it would be regarding the effect of the disease on the person rather than its spread).

Plus both diseases are vaccinated against, Mr "I am full of knowledge". No what you are, is full of shit, and you need a surgeon to manually disimpact you arsehole.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Are we really really talking about the virulence, pathogenicity, toxicology, mycoherbazoology, cytopathology and gram stain polarity of figures of speech? :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Are we really really talking about the virulence, pathogenicity, toxicology, mycoherbazoology, cytopathology and gram stain polarity of figures of speech?
C'mon, that's hardly the most surreal thing to have happened on this board.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Also love the way dipshit boy Irbis complains about Chinese capital punishment yet chooses to ignore the point that if China assassinated people for saying the wrong thing instead of jailing them, they would in effect be killing more people. :roll: But can't let logic get in the way of a good rant now can we?

My point stands. China has not stooped to killing people for saying things the government doesn't like. If they did that like Obama with the assassination of Anwar, it would be a step backwards. But apparently its a step in the right direction huh?

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Bakustra wrote:Also, the US still, through the Civil Rights Movement, the Women's Movement, the Suffragettes, the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, and so on, serves as an inspiration for people around the world struggling against oligarchic and oppressive governments, even though the US has fallen from those heights. So Obama serves, by being POTUS, as a powerful symbol of freedom, and hasn't done as much to dispel that as George W. Bush did or a number of our other presidents.
The problem with judging POTUS on what happened under his predecessors rather than what happened under his governance is pretty weak IMO. If you choose to focus on the good things done by his predecessors, then by extension its also fair to point out the bad things done by them as well. Neither of which Obama had control of. Frankly that type of thinking seems like voting for the GOP because they were the party of Lincoln once upon a time.

The problem with a person as a symbol, once he acts contradictory to that what he supposedly symbolises, the whole house of cards start becoming shaky. When he does it too many times, it comes down.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Even though the US has done this or that, how does that change the fact that the comparison of treatment of people domestic (not foreign) in both countries, particularly political dissidents and radicals and activists, and in the availability of information and free speech and censorship, still doesn't portray China as hot shit?

This is coming from me, and I don't need to remind anyone of my views of the land of the free and home of the brave. But come on. Maybe next people will be saying something silly like "it's more fun in the Philippines" or something. :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Even though the US has done this or that, how does that change the fact that the comparison of treatment of people domestic (not foreign) in both countries, particularly political dissidents and radicals and activists, and in the availability of information and free speech and censorship, still doesn't portray China as hot shit?
It doesn't, which is why I never claimed such despite the strawmen coming from dipshit boy. I do however point out if Chinese human rights activist want inspiration, they are better off looking elsewhere than Obama, because Obama has ordered the assasination of an American citizen without a trial, and without trial, all that we got on him was saying pro AQ things. Even Chinese leaders haven't stooped to using such a method to suppress free speech. I guess he just can't hack it that America has fallen from its lofty heights.
Last edited by mr friendly guy on 2012-02-29 04:32am, edited 1 time in total.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, yeah. But what he is, what he is perceived to be, and the line between the person specific and the more vaguer more nebulouser "America" thing, and all that.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Well, yeah. But what he is, what he is perceived to be, and the line between the person specific and the more vaguer more nebulouser "America" thing, and all that.
The thing is, if someone said we should look to the God of the Bible for inspiration on how to be more ethical, this board will have a field day ripping to shreds why thats stupid by pointing out what God did in the Bible. Saying its what he supposed to be perceived (ie just really ethical guy by people who don't actually read the Bible) would be met with derision. I don't see why we shouldn't give anyone else the same treatment. Judge them on what he has done, not what he is perceived to be, not on the merits of previous US administrations (which strangely enough as I pointed out to Bakustra, ignores the flaws of previous administrations).

Otherwise we just start becoming like the Christians who believe in God's "hype", only substitute God for America and we have a mentality that makes it harder to criticise America. Irbis is a prime example of that mentality. Rather than debate the actual point, we are treated with "but the other side does x,y,z".

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Okay. Obama is a bad and inappropriate and ungood example of what these Chinese guys would want or aspire for or look up to. Sure.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe someone should tell these Chinese guys of the terrible mistake they are doing.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

to clarify my position, and pardon my triple post:

look

i don't really give a wooden nickel about which country did what (in the context of that discussion) and who thinks what

America could crush the skulls of all the outside world's women and children, grind them into dust on an ivory mortar. And fat hypocritical psycho conservative Americans could roll up a dollar bill and snort a coke line of the ground up bones of these people, or melt the bones down on a spoon, suck it into a syringe and pump it into their cock veins or inject it into the corner of their eye, get all high on their own supply and roll around in the mud and blood like a bunch of pigs in a pen snorting and chuckling and wading and going out and washing themselves in soap made from the boiled fat of Arab men before attending Sunday morning church.

But living in that country, standards of living and all that bullshit, would still be preferable and people across the world would sell their souls and dignities and decencies to have a shot at living the American way of living at other people's expense. It's a good life. It's a beautiful life.

It's reprehensible.

Because America is a fucking reprehensible country. We are all reprehensible countries. China? Who gives a rat's shit about China. Ratshit looks like a raisin, sprinkle some on a muffin and put it in an oven.

so who's better than who who's worse than who greater than lesser than co-equal than pacman faces < or pacman faces > or = or =/= whatever

it's all a fucking joke
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!