No one respects Worf's opinion...

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

No one respects Worf's opinion...

Post by Alyeska »

http://www.wimp.com/worfdenied/

Wow. I didn't even realize Worf got denied that often.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Re: No one respects Worf's opinion...

Post by Burak Gazan »

The really sad part, is that Worf was correct 99% of the time. :mrgreen:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

It would've been great if he got steadily more agitated every time he was turned down by Picard and the like over the course of the show, culminating in him going off about how nobody ever listens to him and he's usually right, dammit. :P
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ryan Thunder wrote:It would've been great if he got steadily more agitated every time he was turned down by Picard and the like over the course of the show, culminating in him going off about how nobody ever listens to him and he's usually right, dammit. :P
A better example would him be going off in Season 2 and bringing up every single example from Season 1 where he was right. No Captain I insist we post a guard on the unknown alien we just brought aboard, when is the last time one broke out of sick-bay to hide presents under our pillows instead of what they always do, try to murder us in our sleep. Captain I must insist you don't try hugging the energy monster. Captain is it so much to ask that our chief medical officer not beam down into Plague-town. Captain I suggest we not steer directly into the giant evil looking energy anomaly.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Might explain why he was willing to give up a posting to the new flag ship(Enterprise-E) to serve on a space station.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Or maybe he just thought the new Enterprise was ugly as hell.
If it weren't for the 'RAR! Dying in battle is good' Klingon attitude I'd argue that he figured the chances of him getting killed because the command crew did something seriously stupid were far lower off the big E and asked for the transfer because of that.

Would work splendidly as a reason why O'Brien left though. :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Obrian said he preferred DS9 because it was broken down. He liked he had a lot to do.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I like the one at 4:30.

"Lieutenant, you are a member of this crew, and you will not go into hiding whenever a Klingon vessel uncloaks."
"I withdraw my request, sir."

You can just see Worf's brain ticking over there. :D
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

spaceviking wrote:Obrian said he preferred DS9 because it was broken down. He liked he had a lot to do.
I spent all my time standing around in the transporter room. :lol:
spaceviking wrote:Might explain why he was willing to give up a posting to the new flag ship(Enterprise-E) to serve on a space station.
Worf was requested on DS9 by Sisko and it was at a time when there was no Enterprise serving in Starfleet, so between the destruction of the D and the commission of the E. Worf also lamented the loss of the D and was skeptical that the E would ever replace what the D represented to him and he was contemplating leaving Starfleet because of it.
He really had no intention of serving on the E, although to think he would have turned down a request from Riker or Picard to rejoin the crew is stupid.

And the "space station" was only the most important posting in Starfleet as it was the point defense against the Dominion, Cardassians and at the time Klingon Empires and pretty much held sway over most of the Alpha Quadrant.., but you know, fucking around with the Remans and So'na is way more distinguished. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

If they had listened to Worf on many of those occaisions there would be no episode lol. One can only assume that all the less eventful occurences were in cases where he was listened to.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Now compare this to how Sisko treat's him.

He treats him like a professional and an equal. Not talking down to him like Picard and co.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

All joking aside, Picard has spoken to Worf as a professional multiple times. A couple of the instances in the video (like when Worf asked Picard to stand before the High Council with him), Picard ended up going along with Worf.

The problem with TNG Worf is being a Klingon, several times, gets in the way of his job (or he lets it get in the way) - and Picard has to remind him that he's in Starfleet.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The instances in the video are also taken out of context. Sometimes he's right and they should have followed his recommendations, other times he wasn't.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

i think part of that is that on TNG worf wasn't as developed as he was on DS9 and was basically reduced down to the ship's id most of the time.

And on DS9, Worf was much better developed as a character.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

Worf is always going to get denied. they are all pacifists and his advice is always 'we should shoot them'. He's too predicable.
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.