Wrong conclusion to draw from Game of Thrones intro

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Wrong conclusion to draw from Game of Thrones intro

Post by jollyreaper »

I know the world is supposed to be spherical but, given how the horizon curves up rather than down, one unfamiliar with the setting might be convinced they are living on the inside of a hollow world.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Wrong conclusion to draw from Game of Thrones intro

Post by Thanas »

It should be pretty clear from the intro that it is supposed to represent one early-type globe.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I have to admit that at least going by that picture this does look very much like the inside of a globe.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That pic is also not the Game of Thrones intro.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Then I wonder what the point of posting it was.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

As do I, but I think he'll explain himself quite soon.
------------
------------
My LPs
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

If I had to speculate I'd say it was to show 'no you dummies, this is what the inside of a hollow world looks like' and I'd agree it's a very well working example but a hint towards this being the intention of posting that picture would have been nice. As would have been mentioning that the picture is NOT from the Game of Thrones intro for the benefit of us poor peons who aren't intimately familiar with the material (last I checked Game of Thrones was a fantasy series).
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Just rewatched the intro on youtube and there is some evidence of curvature.
The intto ISN'T the world though, it's the camera flying over a map/model.

hmmm. ok. so if we can get a decent screen shot we can estimate the size of the sphere / bowl.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

madd0ct0r wrote:Just rewatched the intro on youtube and there is some evidence of curvature.
The intto ISN'T the world though, it's the camera flying over a map/model.
It flies over a moving globe. Compare to this.
------------
------------
My LPs
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

nah - the brass bands around the sun match, but the actual world is below on the table, with a small sun passing overhead, rather more like this.

the sun is clear in the first 8secs and at 43 secs

the curvature is weird
see 20sec to 30secs. and 1min to 1min 23
the first one could be a fisheye lense distortion, but it the latter one the sea rises up above you.
the map must be bowl shaped at least.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Turns out we are all wrong - it is a Dyson sphere with an astrolabe. source.

And of course it is not canon as far as the "real" world of ASoIaF is concerned.
------------
------------
My LPs
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Batman wrote:Then I wonder what the point of posting it was.
The map curves the same way.

jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Thanas wrote:Turns out we are all wrong - it is a Dyson sphere with an astrolabe. source.

And of course it is not canon as far as the "real" world of ASoIaF is concerned.

Oooooooh I like their explanation. I wonder if they'll ever try to portray this map machine in the show itself.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

That's kind of neat, I guess... I'd been thinking of it as a clockwork version of the Painted Table at Dragonstone, which would be a lot cooler in my humble opinion.

Regarding the shape of the planet and the seasons and whatnot in the books themselves, GRRM has gone on the record many times when asked to the effect that you shouldn't think about it too hard, because he didn't.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker