Binary Domain

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Havok
Miscreant

Binary Domain

Post by Havok »

Ooooo I like the demo.

The team commands are El Oh El, but it looks like loads of fun.

It also has a balance in the design ethic that I really like. Toned down GoW mixed with a Mass Effect boxiness to the cover and such. The robots look cool. Reminiscent of A.I.

Plus, it's SEGA, so I am hoping for some unexpected wackiness in the story.

I saw that the release date has come and gone. Does anyone have this? If so, what are your impressions?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Binary Domain

Post by Stark »

I've got it. Unlike in the demo trust moves slowly, which I don't really like, but the play and voice stuff is a lot better.

What's astonishing is that the Japanese can write various ethnicities better than Americans/Europeans; the English guy is basically Vendetta, the French guy is every French guy I've ever met, etc. te main haracter is by far the worst actor, but they sell the comradeship as well as gears did.

It's so not as hard as the demo on hard; I'm not having any problems on hard (although sometimes I spend so long down the robit says in lazy). I think I'm about a third o he way through the game and I played for five hours or so, so it's average length.

And Cain is one of the best, most interesting and sympathetic robits in games. He is so awesome when you're being gassed he's casually saying you should get to a time booth while he deals with it. :v
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Is Big Bo Cole Train light? That's kinda the vibe I get.

Although Cole Train should just be inserted into every game.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

He's awesome

Nothing is better than havin big Bo yell 'that was SWWWWEEEET' in falsetto

The team building stuff is really solid and I like the characters and the cutscenes
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

How do the gun kiosks work in the full game? The same or are there more options?

Also I noticed that I can't drop my primary weapon. Is that just a demo thing or is that a full game feature as well?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Also not getting into too much detail, how does the story hold up?

AND will you keep this fucking game long enough for me to get it and do some multi? DO YOU EVEN HAVE GEARS 3 ANYMORE? :(
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think the english-language marketing 'spoiled' the game; the whole first part is about arresting Amada for breaking the law, while we all know already that the robots will Go Crazy and Take Over. :( I have to say that without knowing how flexibel the story is, I really like the writing and characterisation. Its a good mix of pathos and humour, and it has that sense that Gears had of guys who knew each other and who talked shit while trusting each other.

Little Japanese kids making fun of Vendetta was a lol. :V

And I'll certainly keep this game until next week, but who knows after that. I can't trade it in for Synidcate because it's banned here, and it was half price, so I might. I still have Gears 3 but you might have noticed it sucks. :V

Regarding guns, everyone has their 'primary' gun you can't change. You guy buy other nades or pistols to replace the one you have, and carry a secondary. In single player it's arguably because your rifle has the magic boson shot, and in horde mode you can configure your guy however you want.

The highpoint of the game for me is being shown - not told - that Cain doesn't use a pistol because we can't trust robot with real guns. He uses a pistol because he is totally awesome and basically robot batman.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Reminds me of Vanquish. I'm sold.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Sadly the last half takes away much of what made the game interesting and forces you down endless corridors.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Stark wrote:Sadly the last half takes away much of what made the game interesting and forces you down endless corridors.

Also the last 1/3 of the story takes a right turn to cliche heaven, Witch is sad since it all started with such a interesting setup.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, the exploration of interesting themes was disappointing. I liked the gameplay, I liked the setting, but I didn't really enjoy the endless corridors with the same two guys.

Even if one of them was Cain.

I'd much have prefered a sprawling and slow paces story (like their yakuza stuff) than the rushed and restricted stuff we got.