Santorum claims the Netherlands has forced euthanizations.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Santorum claims the Netherlands has forced euthanizations.

Post by bobalot »

In the video above, Santorum claims that in the Netherlands, 50% of all euthanizations are forced and elderly people flee the country in fear of being euthanized.

Even worse is that the audience is taking his claims at face value.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: Santorum claims the Netherlands has forced euthanization

Post by Siege »

:lol:

Yes, it is indeed a well known fact that the principal drain on the German economy these days is not in fact Greece, but the burden of running vast refugee camps teeming with tens of thousands of geriatric Dutch who have fled the monstrous euthanasia factories run by our center-right liberal/christian democrat government.

I'm not quite sure what's funnier, that Mr. Santorum is so obviously making shit up, or that there's a chance some of his constituents are so ignorant they'll actually believe this silliness.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Siege wrote:I'm not quite sure what's funnier, that Mr. Santorum is so obviously making shit up, or that there's a chance some of his constituents are so ignorant they'll actually believe this silliness.
The fact that not a single audience member, nor the host called bullshit on his claims makes me pretty sure that you can strike the "some" from that statement.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Americans are predisposed to believing pretty much anything you tell them about another country, provided that the comparison claims something favorable about America. While this is not a uniquely American trait, the lack of necessity for the average american to know much of anything about other countries does make the American suspension of disbelief substantially greater for this form of fiction.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I like how there's a gigantic 'AMERICAN HEARTLAND' thing in the background while these guys make themselves sound like total dumb fucks.

I hope he becomes President.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

I find this completely unfunny. The fact that public figures can come out and spew this shit to their constituents and then pull back and say that 'it wasn't intended as a factual statement' with little loss of face irks me to no end. It's not just silly, it's irresponsible. That said, Americans reap what they sow in terms of education about their off-continent counterparts.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

"Mr. Santorum, the Netherlands just called, they said they want to include you in a new clinical trial."

What this is, simply, is a bait and switch using strawmen. He gets the idea that most people find horrible, like euthanasia, and then links it with something they probably already find horrible, like abortion. He's now saying that abortion = murder. Now he then makes the connection to liberals and specifically, Obamacare. What he's doing is trying to make people, on some level even a subconscious one, to associate murder with Obamacare. Considering that many of the voters here are elderly Americans, playing off the fear that they might die if they go into the hospital at the whims of some bureaucratic bean counter is trying to take any who might be on the fence and force them into believing his horseshit. Consider also that most elderly Americans are also set in their ways, he's banking on them willing to believe his horseshit as racism that they'll accept.

While I doubt all the people in the room are willing to accept his 'statistics' of how many people are winding up dead in hospitals, they're not going to just scream out "You fucking idiot!" because they're in a room full of supporters. There's that fear in the back of your mind that if you call bullshit on this, you won't make it out of that room without getting the shit kicked out of you. Even if the host called him on it, which I highly doubt considering the heavy Republican vibe I get from the video, I imagine he'd spin it to make himself look good.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

The fact that not a single audience member, nor the host called bullshit on his claims makes me pretty sure that you can strike the "some" from that statement.
Here there are some known shows where both channel, host and audience are payed by the same guy, (i.e. the "audience" is composed of payed actors) and of course they spew obvious propaganda in favor of the guy paying them (who would have guessed?).

I don't see why this douchebag couldn't just do the same.

Albeit of course there will be significant amounts of retards in front of the screen which will beilieve this, but they are the same that also swallow most commercials as well.
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Didn't Santorum also claim during the debates around the time of the Florida primaries that Iran wanted to base missiles in Cuba, effectively recreating the Cuban Missile Crisis with different actors? Pandering to the state's Cuban population and anti-Muslim bigotry in one go.
USA Today Fact Checker wrote: Jihadist missiles in Cuba
Santorum made a wild claim that Cuba is working to harbor Muslim terrorists seeking to develop missile sites.

Santorum: We're going to reward a country [Cuba] that is now working with these other countries to harbor and bring in Iran and the terrorist — the Jihadists who want to set up missile sites and to set up training camps.

Santorum's comment sounds very similar to a claim that Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann made back in the fall about Hezbollah working with Cuba, and potentially building missile sites within its borders.

Bachmann, Sept. 26, 2011: There's reports that have come out that Cuba has been working with another terrorist organization called Hezbollah. And Hezbollah is potentially looking at wanting to be part of missile sites in Iran and, of course, when you're 90 miles offshore from Florida, you don't want to entertain the prospect of hosting bases or sites where Hezbollah could have training camps or perhaps have missile sites or weapons sites in Cuba. This would be foolish.

But according to a report on the Hill's Briefing Room blog, Bachmann was getting her information from an Italian newspaper that did not report that Hezbollah was developing missile sites in Cuba.

The Hill, Sept. 27, 2011: Bachmann was referring to a report in the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, which claimed that Hezbollah was setting up a base in Cuba to target Israelis in Latin America. The article was circulated on some conservative blogs, but did not report that Hezbollah planned to import weapons; rather, the terror operation was said to be oriented around intelligence collection, coordination of the group's logistics in Latin America and identification forgery.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
RIPP_n_WIPE
Jedi Knight

Post by RIPP_n_WIPE »

:banghead: God damnit rick you need to get through the primaries so you can lose to Obama. You're supposed to say this AFTER you get the GOP nomination not before. Then even the Repubs will think you're crazy.

I am the hammer, I am the right hand of my Lord. The instrument of His will and the gauntlet about His fist. The tip of His spear, the edge of His sword. I am His wrath just as he is my shield. I am the bane of His foes and the woe of the treacherous. I am the end.

-Ravus Ordo Militis

"Fear and ignorance claim the unwary and the incomplete. The wise man may flinch away from their embrace if he girds his soul with the armour of contempt."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Saying Hezbollah is workign to build a base in Cuba to attack Iraelis in Latin America? How do they think that makes any sense at all?

I am reminded of Dick Cheney's appearance in the Simpsons, with his wonderufl comment:

"You realise that every time I don't get what I want Al Qaeda wins?"
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

RIPP_n_WIPE wrote::banghead: God damnit rick you need to get through the primaries so you can lose to Obama. You're supposed to say this AFTER you get the GOP nomination not before. Then even the Repubs will think you're crazy.
I'd rather Mr. Frothy not get the nomination. If a black swan event like Iran testing a nuclear weapon in October happens, he might suddenly become electable.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Pelranius wrote:
RIPP_n_WIPE wrote::banghead: God damnit rick you need to get through the primaries so you can lose to Obama. You're supposed to say this AFTER you get the GOP nomination not before. Then even the Repubs will think you're crazy.
I'd rather Mr. Frothy not get the nomination. If a black swan event like Iran testing a nuclear weapon in October happens, he might suddenly become electable.
Hear, hear.

Every time I read comments about how Obama will win handily if Newt or Frothy are his opponents, I want to remind people that this is the country that elected Bush Jr.

TWICE.

Obama is no saint but he's not batshit insanse.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Even Chimpo the clown looks like the model of a statesman compared to these slime-scrapings, though.

Still, I'd rather not risk it.
Truth fears no trial.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Saying Hezbollah is workign to build a base in Cuba to attack Iraelis in Latin America? How do they think that makes any sense at all?
Do did you know that Iranian and Hezbollah backed terrorist already did attack Israelis and Jews in Latin america in the past? At least that's who Argentina, that raving bastion of pro Israeli propaganda, says carried out the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires which killed or wounded over 400 people. Islamic Jihad meanwhile openly claimed responsibility for another large attack in 1992 killing and wounded several hundred, and has direct links to Iran and Hezbollah. It also most likely carried out a suicide bombing of a small plane carrying primarily jews the day afterward.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

With rockets based in Cuba?
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Saying Hezbollah is workign to build a base in Cuba to attack Iraelis in Latin America? How do they think that makes any sense at all?
Do did you know that Iranian and Hezbollah backed terrorist already did attack Israelis and Jews in Latin america in the past? At least that's who Argentina, that raving bastion of pro Israeli propaganda, says carried out the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires which killed or wounded over 400 people. Islamic Jihad meanwhile openly claimed responsibility for another large attack in 1992 killing and wounded several hundred, and has direct links to Iran and Hezbollah. It also most likely carried out a suicide bombing of a small plane carrying primarily jews the day afterward.
No, I didn't know that. But I do now. However, it's still insane.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Skgoa wrote:With rockets based in Cuba?
Again, fear mongering to get people scared shitless. People know about the Cuban Missile Crisis and some even remember it. By claiming the terrorists are building missiles in Cuba, he's scaring everyone into saying, "Don't let fear run your life! Pick me and let me scare you shitless instead!"
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team