Mass Effect 3 Demo

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo

Post by PeZook »

That would be great. Man, actual consequences for your choices? It would be pretty refreshing for a bioware game :D

...of course, some of these decisions were terrible and forced on the player.

I mean, how is it a good idea to impose a human-led council on the galaxy, again? It's idiotic, won't help things in any way, shape or form, but that decision is forced upon the player based on his renegade score (because renegade = racist, right?), rather than left to his choice.

I sacrificed the original council because killing Sovereign was way more important than saving three politicians, not because I thought humanity was destined to lord over the galaxy with an iron fist. I get some players would like that, but renegade is supposed to be "get the job done at all costs", not "be a despicable fuckface" (though of course sometimes doing the former requires the latter).
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shadow6
Youngling

Post by Shadow6 »

New trailer:

Stofsk wrote:The new Ash looks a thousand times better, and the best improvement really is her ditching the pink power ranger uniform she wore in the previous two instalments.
To be fair to ME1, you could put any armour you wanted on her. At least it was a hardsuit.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

PeZook wrote:That would be great. Man, actual consequences for your choices? It would be pretty refreshing for a bioware game :D

...of course, some of these decisions were terrible and forced on the player.

I mean, how is it a good idea to impose a human-led council on the galaxy, again? It's idiotic, won't help things in any way, shape or form, but that decision is forced upon the player based on his renegade score (because renegade = racist, right?), rather than left to his choice.

I sacrificed the original council because killing Sovereign was way more important than saving three politicians, not because I thought humanity was destined to lord over the galaxy with an iron fist. I get some players would like that, but renegade is supposed to be "get the job done at all costs", not "be a despicable fuckface" (though of course sometimes doing the former requires the latter).
People seem to forget that letting the Council die and replacing them with a human-led council aren't intrinsically tied together. You can let the Council die and still recommend an old-style Council, with a human member. Or you can push for a human-led council.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

MAAAANG.... If they let me drive Mako's again or fly actual dog fighting mission in the Normandy or the little fighters or the other cool ship, I will not give two fucks about all the BS we were arguing about before. :D

Also, this, in case anyone wasn't clear, is Stark's and my biggest gripe about ME, and that is that the cinematics/cut scenes never seem to fall in line with the game play.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I have to wonder why anyone would let humans just set up whatever council they want, anyways. Even after getting notched up on the power ladder thanks to Sovereign fucking up everybody's fleets, humanity is still the small fish in the pond. Didn't the Turians alone have like 10 times the dreadnaughts humanity was allowed to build, and all of them were more technologically advanced?

Bah. Somehow ME1 and 2 still dragged me kicking and screaming into the universe. I guess it's the production values, which are way better than the actual writing.

EDIT: Also fuck yeah, real armored battles on planetary surfaces! :D

Not gonna happen though.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

PeZook, I really like your idea as the symbol for why Ash Williams grew her hair out. But I bet that's not going to be it, as I think she's probably supposed to be a romance-able option.

And, according to Bioware, there is supposed to be a Golden Ending, where you do everything right(not essentially paragon, nor renegade, but everything right), while there's also supposed to be a everyone loses and dies ending, and a spectrum in between. But that could just be rumors.

I have three playthroughs, and I want to see how each one ends.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Havok wrote:MAAAANG.... If they let me drive Mako's again or fly actual dog fighting mission in the Normandy or the little fighters or the other cool ship, I will not give two fucks about all the BS we were arguing about before. :D

Also, this, in case anyone wasn't clear, is Stark's and my biggest gripe about ME, and that is that the cinematics/cut scenes never seem to fall in line with the game play.
At least we do know that they designed a fighter cockpit for ME 3 but if that is to be used in game or in a cut scene or not all nobody knows.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

BTW: They are supposedly going to launch early copies of ME3 into fucking space with weather baloons.

They will have GPS chips installed and anyone who finds a baloon once it lands can get a copy for free. I can't for the love of me figure out how this will work WRT airspace issues etc, but it's one of the more awesome marketing ploys I have heard about :)

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I wonder how many copies will land in the water. But hopefully they'll account for the wind currents and have a general idea of where the things are supposed to go.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

my only real complaint is that the put the "fire" button is a really bad place in the PS3 version.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I played the demo last night, I won't comment on the story. It's Bioware typical.

I will comment on the Kinect features. Responsive. Yes. Effective. Yes. Pull you out of the game? Err.. I thought it would be but I guess not. I found myself talking to the game without even thinking about it. Choosing ammo type and weapon. I thought the most jarring thing would be speaking the conversation point I wanted, but I found myself doing it regardless.

Garrus Armour Piercing shot.
Boom.

I couldn't help but find it fun.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

In response to Shadow6 posting the newest trailer a few posts above, all I will say is that I laugh at it.

Why? Pedoreaper. And spaceships in fucking ATMOSPHERE.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I like how everyone was impressed by Sovereign being able to land on a planet, and then suddenly it turns out everyone's battleships can do that :D

P.S.

Granted, those ships were smallish, probably fighters or some sort of frigate. Shepples SLOWLY WALKING side by side with Ash (who, of course, lets her woooshing hair down in combat so that it can get stuck to her face) amongst an armored assault was way more hilarious.

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Anyone know if Me3 will give you bonus stuff for importing a save above a certain level, like Me2 did?
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Yup you actually continues your character from ME 2 by importing - so if you import a lvl 30 character from ME 2 you start at lvl 30 (level cap in ME 3 is 60)- also you get bonus money and resources if you had a lot of that in ME 2 - though i do not know how much.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

And any weapons, armor, and major Normandy upgrades (shields, armor, main gun) you have in ME2, even the DLC ones, will carry over.

But not the fish or space hamster. :(
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

PeZook wrote:I have to wonder why anyone would let humans just set up whatever council they want, anyways. Even after getting notched up on the power ladder thanks to Sovereign fucking up everybody's fleets, humanity is still the small fish in the pond. Didn't the Turians alone have like 10 times the dreadnaughts humanity was allowed to build, and all of them were more technologically advanced?
I think it was 3 to 1 based on the Codexs I read years ago. I also remember reading Humanity has been pumping out all the hardware they could since the first contact war (skirmish) with the Turians. And they caught up technologically extremely fast because Humans Are Just Better. I think the Turian's having better technology on their Dreadnaughts (even though it would make sense) is an overstatement due to them knowing Humanity is primed to take over being the military leaders of the Citadel races.

I'm pretty sure the 3 Dreadnaughts that get blasted in the opening attack on the Citadel were Turian and I think they were required to keep a certain amount of them there at all times, so those were likely lost as well. The basic consensus at endgame was that the entire Citadel fleet, with except of the Human fleet (even if you sacrifice ships to defend the council), was in shambles and that Humanity was in position to take military power and no one could stop them. It's telling that humanity lost loads of ships defending the Citadel, but was still a major player. IIRC, only 5th Fleet showed up to the party whereas the Turians had a large portion of their entire Navy at the Citadel.

There were numerous references to Humans inserting themselves into all areas of galactic business at an alarming rate after first-contact and it was assumed that, besides the Turians, they had the strongest Citadel race fleet. I always assumed they made up for the lack of Dreadnaughts with sheer numbers of smaller ships. The Turians may bitch, but the Citadel had been bending over backwards for Humans giving them access to technology and resources far faster than any other race. And I could be channeling some other Sci-Fi, but I also remember a reference to Human breeding only being surpassed by the Krogan, which is worrisome for some races. It's really no surprise they can field the numbers they can.

Anyways, it's been years since I played ME, so take this with a grain of salt.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Up until the Citadel attack, humans were allowed to build one dreadnought for every 5 the turians had. Since it's an analogue for the Washington Naval Treaty, the alliance gets around it by building carriers. After the citadel attack, humanity becomes a council race, so they're allowed to build 1 dreadnought for every 3 the turians build, though if the council is killed, no one feels compelled to follow that treaty anymore.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Will ME3 show the Turians doing anything in space combat but getting utterly ruled in seconds y/n?
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

We can hope that the battle of the citadel taught the turian fleet to do more than sit perfectly still and plink at reapers trying to run them over.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Y'know speaking about that stuff... if the ship in the demo was doing anything at all, like had a goal it was heroically trying to acheive at huge risk, it would have worked.

If it was moving to shield a building full of orphans, or firing its weapons and destroying the city with blast waves by accident, or shooting down fliers, or ANYTHING except the one thing every captain knows WILL NEVER FUCKING WORK ie fire tiny blue dots at it while not moving.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Yeah, it goes back to a lot of the stuff in the intro. They wanted a specific thing or event, but didn't come up with any reasons why it should happen. They wanted a ship to blow up low to the ground and make a huge shockwave, so they stuck one there.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I guess they're too stupid to just have a ship crash from in space, after showing us ships in space to fight reapers. :V
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Stark wrote:Will ME3 show the Turians doing anything in space combat but getting utterly ruled in seconds y/n?
"Signs point to no." They seem more like the whatyacallit race from TNG (the one where Picard goes crazy in the Stargazer): they get talked up alot about how they are great war leaders, but everything we actually see is from them balls retarded or non-existent.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

The... Ferengi?

Turians are more like TNG Klingons, supposedly badass and menacing but ultimately just getting themselves blown up constantly.

I'm getting the impression from what I've been hearing about the demo that this is going to end up like Halo 3, a lot of overblown gestures at "epicness" that can't hold up on repeat performance or is just stupid from the beginning. The fact that this most recent trailer shows the entire American landmass on fire, a mile-long battleship attacking a girl, and guys with machine guns and tanks grappling with zombies doesn't bode well.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."