Mass Effect 3 Demo

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo

Post by PeZook »

More? Hmm. I'll have to play a pure asshole, because I seem to remember there's more snark, less racist belligerence.

Or maybe they're just better at communicating WHEN your renegade choice will make Shepard go totally fucking loco, unlike ME1 (Option says "Go away" = SHOVE GUN IN GUYS FACE TO MAKE HIM PISS HIMSELF)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Aaron MkII wrote:
Kingmaker wrote:Do the 'moral choices' still boil down to being a juvenile, belligerent, racist asshat or a sane, mature adult?

(I didn't play mass effect 2, but I heard the vaunted Bioware morality was in full effect).
It has a bit more of you sticking your gun in peoples face, threating people with bodily harm and of course you can punch that racist reporter right the fuck out.
There's even another reporter now, who apparently hangs out on the Normandy, who I really hope I have the option of telling them that they don't even know the meaning of the words "journalistic integrity" and that they should go off and pursue a more fitting career like underwear model.
Spoiler
Because the reporter is played by Jessica Chobot.
Not any real spoilers here, it was revealed in the Voice Actor trailer.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

I don't know who that is.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Its better than way, because your eyes don't have to roll out of your head.

Maybe we should make a list of all the things Bioware hates so we can try to ignore the terrible writing. Bioware tropes, if you will. It could lead to the fall of the government, and the end of civilian rule in Japan!
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Just make a Mass Effect game were I can buy a ship and fly around delivering cargo, exploring or maybe shooting Geth for pay.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Is there scope in this game to hate civilians, other races and the media? Because if not, I don't see it happening. :)

You could imagine a game where getting extracted just put you back on your ship so you could go somewhere else to do another mission for spacebux... but its not a Bioware game. :(
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Punch a reporter and her fans come after her?

Kill a Turian because you hate bird people? Bounty!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Steal a human adept's brain chip to get his special moves - fight them from within! Maybe the gnomes are stealing your shares and you have to go shoot them all. :V
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

I bet you could make a killing selling used Asari underwear.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

What the heck are y'all talking about? It sounds like gibberish.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Maybe there's a different version of the Mass Effect games y'all played or I glossed over something. Y'all talking the annoying fetch quests and small mini missions that suck in the first Mass Effect?
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

They're imagining if Mass Effect played like Star Control, rather than just ripping the story.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

No we're talking about making a Mass Effect version of fallout but on a galactic scale.

Or what he said.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Andrew_Fireborn wrote:They're imagining if Mass Effect played like Star Control, rather than just ripping the story.
:cry:

The multi element of ME3 is at least a sign that Bioware isn't totally married to their one playstyle. So... we can dream of an actual spaceship game rather than KOTOR 13.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

How about this...

The Mass Effect universe, with a dose of EVE and their Multi for the action?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

EVE's combat is way too boring and opaque. You'd want something action oriented but based on progression/unlocks/crew or whatever.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

I played the demo last night. I have to say, adding the Kinect support was a great idea. It really helps the immersion of the combat because it no longer requires the constant pausing to control team members. I had a good amount of fun timing vocal commands correctly against different types of enemies. So I think I'll enjoy combat more in ME3 than in 2.

I'm pretty excited for ME3, stupid story or no.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

PeZook wrote:The problem is that I don't believe ME writers actually did this to signify a change in her character due to her new status, responsibilities of command, dealing with loss of friends etc, but as a way to make her hotter for the fanboys.
The new Art of Mass Effect book specifically states that the hair was changed in Mass Effect 3 to increase Ashley's sex appeal. That struck me as particularly funny because I actually thought her original hair style looked better and suited her character more.
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Joe Momma wrote: The new Art of Mass Effect book specifically states that the hair was changed in Mass Effect 3 to increase Ashley's sex appeal. That struck me as particularly funny because I actually thought her original hair style looked better and suited her character more.

Man, I really wanted to be wrong about that.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Joe Momma wrote:
PeZook wrote:The problem is that I don't believe ME writers actually did this to signify a change in her character due to her new status, responsibilities of command, dealing with loss of friends etc, but as a way to make her hotter for the fanboys.
The new Art of Mass Effect book specifically states that the hair was changed in Mass Effect 3 to increase Ashley's sex appeal. That struck me as particularly funny because I actually thought her original hair style looked better and suited her character more.
I guess reading isen't your strong suit?

Here let me help you out : "For Ashley's reappearance in the series, we let her hair down AND gave her sex appeal...
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Anyone else notice that Kaidan Alenko hasn't changed at all in contrast to her?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Good grief. Who the hell cares?

The new Ash looks a thousand times better, and the best improvement really is her ditching the pink power ranger uniform she wore in the previous two instalments.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You know what would be great? If they had Ashley change her appearance because she's over Shepard. As in, in a steady relationship, settled down after conquering her family's bad rap, having handled Shep's death and reappearance...She's a Spectre and an officer now, leads people, is accomplished profesionally and in personal life. The invasion of Earth of course shatters all this, and she fights for what she has back home.

Wouldn't that fuck with the fanboys? :P

---------------------------------------

In addition to that, since they established it's possible to blow up star systems with mass relays, I wonder if they're hiding a real curveball in the plot. It would be an awesome moral decision if you had to chose between sacrificing Earth and the Solar System so that the other races have a better fighting chance (blow up the relay to destroy a large chunk of the Reaper fleet), or stubbornly hang on to Earth, essentially forcing everyone to sacrifice their own people to save humanity's homeworld.

And imagine the possibilities if your team could split based on what you do. As in really split, maybe some members could start a mutiny and you'd have to fight and kill them in an immensely emotional moment?

Imagine the galaxy becoming unraveled, entire world being consumed by a spectre from beyond the outer rim, and amongst this, Shepard in a standoff with those who were once his friends and comrades in arms.

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I am really hoping that because it's the final chapter they can go all-in with regards to gambling with the plot and story. The biggest problem with bioware is they listen to the wrong fans (they obviously don't listen to everyone or take every criticism onboard, hence the difference between the ME1 diehards and the ones who thought ME2 was a massive improvement). Since it's the final part of the story they could do all sorts of crazy shit and have all the consequences of the previous two games come back to bite Shepard in the ass.

Maybe I'm setting myself up for some massive disappointment, but to me it's crazy to go through all this effort, come up with a trilogy of games where saved game transfers are set up, and not do this. There should be multiple endings that are truly different from each other and based in whole or in part on the decisions you've carried over from the previous games. But... bioware.