The Amazing Spider-Man: Trailer #2

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

The Amazing Spider-Man: Trailer #2

Post by Jim Raynor »

Apparently, this came out yesterday:

Link

Does this look awesome or what? This trailer thankfully showed some more flashes of humor than the first one, which had me worried that the reboot would be completely grim and serious. I'm still not sure if this new movie will match the sense of fun and wonder from the first Raimi film in 2002 (one of my favorite movies ever), but things are looking a lot better now. The actor for Dr. Conners looks really good playing the villain, even if his character seems to be more outright evil here than in his classic portrayal. I love the idea of the police mounting a serious city wide manhunt for Spidey (as opposed to a couple very half-hearted attempts in the first movie), as well as Gwen being torn between Peter and her father.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: Trailer #2

Post by Drooling Iguana »

The suit still looks awful.

The rest of the movie shows promise, though. Looks like this'll be more of a reboot in the sense of "we're just going to tell a new Spider-Man story without clinging to the details of the Raimi movies" rather than focusing on the origin story a second time.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Yeah, I think they went too far trying to differentiate this Spider-Man from the one in the Raimi movies (which absolutely nailed the costume's appearance IMO). It just looks so excessively glossy and even "wet" when he's sitting in the back seat of that stolen car.

But I can get past that as long as everything else is good. And it's not like the original got all the costumes right either, like the Green Goblin's. Full armored suits don't work for comic costumes, unless you're Iron Man. :)
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wow. That looks really good. The suit look MILES better than it did in the production stills. That was my only gripe about this movie up until this trailer.

I am glad they started with Gwen Stacey. The relationship with her, and her resulting death is an integral part of the development of Spider-Man.

I'm guessing she makes it through the first movie to get to the sequel which should have the Green Goblin chuck her off the bridge.

Hopefully they take their time with the villains too. Set them up, but don't mash them all into one movie.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

I think the casting on Peter is great, the look fits and has the right amount of wit and mocking tone. Also like how he moves around and fights, more superhuman acrobatic is a good thing especially that this is early on in his career, use wit to distract and dodge a bunch. Not a fan of Emma Stone so hope she pulls off the role, same with Leary.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

The part where he is just casually dodging bullets is hilarious.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Did I see the testing of artificial webshooters there?! :D Awesome.

And Banter, which was mostly missing from Raimi's version.

Still from the looks of things, it seem like everyone will be knowing Peter's secret identity again. And the lizard as a villian? Bleh.
Havok wrote: I am glad they started with Gwen Stacey. The relationship with her, and her resulting death is an integral part of the development of Spider-Man.

I'm guessing she makes it through the first movie to get to the sequel which should have the Green Goblin chuck her off the bridge.
Aww, hell no. I'm hoping they don't go the same old routine. Either don't kill her or don't do via bridge throwing. it's a different continuity. Let actually be different for a change.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Crazedwraith wrote: Aww, hell no. I'm hoping they don't go the same old routine. Either don't kill her or don't do via bridge throwing. it's a different continuity. Let actually be different for a change.

Considering Stone is signed for three movies, I think they intend Gwen to survive for a good long while.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ah... ow well then.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

The Cooler King wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote: Aww, hell no. I'm hoping they don't go the same old routine. Either don't kill her or don't do via bridge throwing. it's a different continuity. Let actually be different for a change.

Considering Stone is signed for three movies, I think they intend Gwen to survive for a good long while.
Wow, that's surprising. So either they're taking time before killing her at the end of the trilogy, or they aren't killing her at all. With the trailer showing her as knowledgable of Peter's dual identity, I was sure that they were putting the fast track on the relationship in order to kill her in the sequel and make way for Mary Jane.

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I really like this trailer and I think the casting is spot-on in this iteration than in the Sam Raimi films. In particular Garfield is so much better than Maguire, who looked like he sleepwalked his way through the role.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Is this spidey reboot going to be in-continuity with the other Marvelverse films? I know he was an avenger at one point, maybe he'll be in the sequel.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The suit looks decidedly better than it did in the studio stills. And is it me or did they change it to look more like the traditional suit?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Looks good.

So Norman Osborne is now a cop? :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Darksider wrote:Is this spidey reboot going to be in-continuity with the other Marvelverse films? I know he was an avenger at one point, maybe he'll be in the sequel.
It won't be in continuity. Marvel may own Spider-Man, but they don't own the rights to Spider-Man movie adaptations, which were sold to Sony. Likewise, Fox owns the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Daredevil. I believe the rights are supposed to revert back to Marvel if these characters lie dormant for enough years, which is why they'll never stop making Spider-Man and X-Men movies (like the vague reboot/prequel that just came out last summer).

The only movies in the Marvel movie universe continuity are:

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk (2008 version only; the failure of the 2003 film led to Universal giving up the Hulk rights)
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
The Avengers

Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Enigma wrote:Looks good.

Not sure if you're joking, Dennis Leary does look like Willem Dafoe.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That was my first reaction actually. :lol:

Also, Stone being signed for three movies simply means that they have the option to use her. It doesn't mean she is a main and could be signed for flashbacks, etc..
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Meest wrote:
Enigma wrote:Looks good.

Not sure if you're joking, Dennis Leary does look like Willem Dafoe.
I realized my error only when I went to bed. Derp. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Nope, not feeling it. Spider-Man does not feel like a property that needs to be overly dark and dramatic; I prefer it as a four-colour world of snarky heroes, hammy villains and cheesy stories. While the action looks great, I ultimately don't care much about it; Spider-Man is not about Spider-Man's problems, it's about Peter Parker's problems.

I mean, look at this trailer. It's pitch-black 90% of the time, the instance of Spider-Snarking was pretty lame, and there is all this big, serious drama about Spider-Man being a fugitive from justice and setting right what went wrong and the whole time I can only think when did this become a Batman movie?

I understand wanting to use a different tone from the other trilogy, but it doesn't mean I need to like the one they went with.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Are you fucking dumbtartded?
Spider-Man has always had a dark overtone to it, despite the bright colors.
Parker is a nerd that gets picked on by the whole school, who's parents are dead, who caused the death of his own uncle and accidentally killed his girlfriend trying to save her. His powers have never brought him fame or fortune and are the source of constant struggle in his life as to who he is supposed to be.

Yeah, what a bright and rosy story that is. It's just like fucking Care Bears.

Also, Peter Parker's problems are DIRECTLY related to him being Spider-Man. Taking Spidey away from Peter and his problems amount to getting bullied, acne and pining after girls.

Oh and P. Fucking S. Spider-Man has always been considered a vigilante and a fugitive from justice and the police AND is painted that way constantly in the Daily Bugle, and other media outlets on an almost weekly basis.

And what is this?! New York is dark at night when Spider-Man comes out to fight crime?! I am shocked and appalled by this news!
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am not sure about the costume, but it definitely looks better than in the stills.

I don't really mind the Lizard. Given that the Raimi films have already used the Green Goblin (both of them), Doctor Octopus, Venom, I can't think of any other villain from the Rogues Gallery that stands out. Besides Carnage, but then we will have to go through the Venom thing again. Maybe Morbius comes out and his skin sparkles in the sunlight to be smacked by Spidey. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Kraven the Hunter would be super cool.

Maybe relaunch the Punisher in the Spidey franchise too.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Kraven the Hunter would be really cool. Vulture hasn't been done. He was one of the first villains. Chameleon too. Electro is another potential one, mysterio as well.

Spidey's rogue's gallery is really super-quirky rather than iconically threatening. I can't help but feel that's somewhat of a challenge when it comes to selecting a villain. I'd love to see a Green Goblin done right, because IMO the first film was a bit meh as far as Willem Dafoe and the general aesthetic of the costume went.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Is it my imagination or does the Lizard look awfully... human? Also looks like they're going for the Ultimate Spiderman backstory, wherein Peter's dad was a scientist who, together with Dr. Connors created the Venom Symbiote (they were trying to cure cancer) and left Peter a half-finished formula for web fluid.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Havok wrote:Kraven the Hunter would be super cool.

Maybe relaunch the Punisher in the Spidey franchise too.

Kraven would definitely kick ass; as much as it would rush decades of character development into 2 hours, I'd love to see a version of 'Kraven's Last Hunt'. You won't likely see the Punisher, though, since Marvel Studios just got the rights back to the character (so you can expect YET ANOTHER Punisher movie soon).
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"