My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmm. Attempt to rile up RogueIce in Testing has failed. Move to option B. :P
RogueIce wrote:Man, the SB crew is just saying it better than I can tonight.
Darth Invictus on SpaceBattles.com wrote:It was very true to Applejack, Rainbow Dash has an ego which won't let her loose or admit defeat, as the Iron pony contest and Mare-Do-Well showed, she has to win for herself. In contrast Applejack is stubborn and proud, she made a promise, she couldn't face breaking it and letting down people who'd put their trust in her, couldn't face her family or Applebloom after loosing and shattering her sisters image of her, she would've stayed in Dodge until she got the money, or until Big Mac or the Mane Six went to find her, hogtied her and dragged her back themselves. For someone so devoted to her family and who cares so much about their view of her, gaining anything less than first after promising to get it would be unthinkable
Now, to be fair to myself, this was also my original take on it. But this fellow just said it better than I managed previously.
While I like Applejack's determination to bring back the money. I can't help but feeling the rest of the episode was contrived and result of the ponys forgetting what they already 'learnt.' After all Applejack's other episode was all about not being so arrogant and ignoring her friend. And her blithe assumption that she'd win all the prize money easily is exactly the same thing.

And while Applejack seemed concerned about the money, it was clearly more about the fear of losing her friend's respect and that is complete baloneey. Its the same kind of plot we saw from Twilight in 'Boast Buster' and while it really makes sense for her. It doesn't fit Applejack especially as she was the one saying to Twilight in that episode 'don't be silly we love you for you'.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Habitual behaviour is hard to break? SHOCKING!
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

tim31 wrote:Habitual behaviour is hard to break? SHOCKING!
Bah. I demand complete pony character change after every episode. Or at least explicit mention they're repeating the same problems but maybe thats too explicitly continuity-y for the cartoon.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Okay, this is absolutely embarrassing on my part... a young adult, and I recently got hooked onto MLP FIM...I don't know why but I can't stop thinking about it since... :banghead: :( :| :)

Anyway, I always wonder about something all the way from Episode 1 and 2: If Princess Celestia and Nightmare Moon decides to go in an all out duel to the death, no holding back, no Elements of Harmony to banish any of them to the Moon or the Sun or change them back, which one of them could actually win?

I mean, in Ep 1 and 2 It was revealed that Celestia used the Elements of Harmony to banish Nightmare Moon to the Moon. And then Princess Celestia simply disappeared when Nightmare Moon returned, and only came back after the Mane Cast defeated Nightmare Moon to reveal her Batman gambit and ask Princess Luna to accept her friendship once more. They never actually FOUGHT.

So place your bets, if they do fight, in an all out duel between princess-goddesses, which one of them would actually win?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

We have nowhere near enough information on the limits to their magical power to put them in a fight. Though as the back story said Celestia needec the elements to banish Nightmare Moon. Though even that is real left up for debate.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

This is my impressions of the power rankings, unsupported by any real facts:

Luna < Celestia < Nightmare Moon (< Elements of Harmony)

I got the distinct impression that becoming NMM involved some sort of boost (Luna talking about her "dark powers"). Hence I choose to believe that she could defeat Celestia.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Bright wrote:This is my impressions of the power rankings, unsupported by any real facts:

Luna < Celestia < Nightmare Moon (< Elements of Harmony)

I got the distinct impression that becoming NMM involved some sort of boost (Luna talking about her "dark powers"). Hence I choose to believe that she could defeat Celestia.
I have reasons to believe that Celestia is just holding back. I mean, she controls the Sun, she rules with Light, how can any stereotypical Moon or Darkness based powers one could find in any fantasy setting stand up against that?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

As I said, we have next to no knowledge on their capabilities.
Last edited by lordofchange13 on 2012-01-23 10:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

It's a little vague what controlling the sun actually means. Considering Celestia can pull off double duty raising the moon as well, it stands to reason Luna could raise and lower the sun if need be.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Perhaps, I think the whole situation is ultimately open to interpretation.

What about their status? Are the two princesses really goddesses, then? Or just very powerful Alicorns?

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Whell in the show they have replaced the word "God" with "Celestia". What if the difference between a god and a being with really high amounts of magical power?
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

No much difference, I suppose.

By the way, you might want to take a look at a fan's interpretation of her:

http://lilithnanhart.deviantart.com/gal ... 8#/d3inlnl

Very interesting, don't you think?

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:No much difference, I suppose.

Though she looks really fucking scary in the last panel, i actual like this interpretation.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

lordofchange13 wrote:

Though she looks really fucking scary in the last panel, i actual like this interpretation.
I know, right? Even better, the author of the comic strip had announced that he/she will expand this into a full blown Comic fanfic, titled "Vast". I can't wait to see how Twilight is going to deal with that!

montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:

I know, right? Even better, the author of the comic strip had announced that he/she will expand this into a full blown Comic fanfic, titled "Vast". I can't wait to see how Twilight is going to deal with that!
Part of me doesn't like it insomuch as it just seems to go against the underlying spirit of the series...
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

montypython wrote:
Part of me doesn't like it insomuch as it just seems to go against the underlying spirit of the series...
This is true, but Fandom's tend to try and expand characters beyond the limitations of the show. At the moment this is a little bit more logical then the show given levels of her power.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

As far as I am concerned, as of now Celestia and Luna are just very powerful Alicorns who happen to be immortal.

My headcannon where that they are indeed semi all powerful gods 'taking it easy' in Equestia. But there is very little proof to bare this out. In dealing with NMM and Discord, the cry from many "GOD" supporters was that, Celestia COULD have dealt with things herself but wanted to 'train' the mane six to become protectors of Equestria.

While this may have been true for NMM, it really did seem that Celestia was genuinally stumped by Discord and was powerless to stop him.

Really, the two fall into the common mistake of many old myths where the moon and sun are of roughly equal power and considered equals.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

montypython wrote:Part of me doesn't like it insomuch as it just seems to go against the underlying spirit of the series...
But that's the fun in it all, isn't it? A deconstruction of everything we think is good and taken for granted from a piece of fiction is just so much more enjoyable than the original thing.

I really want to see what happens when Celestia finally figure out the difference in power between the Sun and the Moon, and how little and insignificant everything in Equestria actually is to her might.

Where's the power in 'friendship' now when your friends less than ants compared to you... :twisted:

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: Really, the two fall into the common mistake of many old myths where the moon and sun are of roughly equal power and considered equals.
In your mind are they really personifications of the Moon and Sun, or are they more like Zeus and Hades who just kinda divided the world. But doesn't really represent their ability's? My Headcanon follows the latter.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:
montypython wrote:Part of me doesn't like it insomuch as it just seems to go against the underlying spirit of the series...
But that's the fun in it all, isn't it? A deconstruction of everything we think is good and taken for granted from a piece of fiction is just so much more enjoyable than the original thing.

I really want to see what happens when Celestia finally figure out the difference in power between the Sun and the Moon, and how little and insignificant everything in Equestria actually is to her might.

Where's the power in 'friendship' now when your friends less than ants compared to you... :twisted:
Thematically that smells more of something that Type-Moon would think up of, and if I wanted that I'd just read more Nasuverse materials instead.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

I suddenly got an idea where Pinkie Pie tries building a Sonic Rainboom firecracker (basically a bottle rocket with a payload of Rainbow Juice set to go off once it hits the sound barrier) so that she could make sonic rainbooms at her parties. Then, checking the wikipedia article on supersonic speed it looks like alot of things from rifle bullets to bullwhips to high-speed trains can break the sound barrier.

Soo, if a Sonic Rainboom is basically the result of a sonic boom and a rainbow happening at the same time then how could a party pony like Pinkie Pie perform such a perilous project (preferably without pulverizing ponyville)?

There are 3 main questions:

1. How difficult would it be to send a given payload of rainbow juice to an arbitrary point where it can break the sound barrier? Preferably getting the shockwave to appear high enough in the air where ponies can watch (I'm sure its easy to fire things at supersonic speed out of a rifle muzzle or possibly a party cannon but if the shockwave manifests right at the end of the muzzle then it limits the enjoyment innocent bystanders might get). Larger amounts of rainbow juice produce larger rainbooms, so I figure getting a Rainbow Dash style Rainboom would require a payload somewhere around Dashs body weight.

2. How big a threat to Equestria would Pinkie Pie be if she could make and fire off Rainboom Rockets? Who's attention would she get (local police, Celestia, spies from griffin or zebra lands)?

3. What kind of crazy hijinks and chaos can happen from this without anypony actually dying?
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

So. Looks like John De Lancie is going to be at BronyCon in the summer?
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Bright wrote:So. Looks like John De Lancie is going to be at BronyCon in the summer?
You got a source? That would be fucking amazing!
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

You have just made my day!