SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: SKYRIM: Let's kill some Dragons!

Post by Executor32 »

I'm guessing your death on the way up the mountain was at the hands of that asshole frost troll like halfway up?
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Executor32 wrote:I'm guessing your death on the way up the mountain was at the hands of that asshole frost troll like halfway up?
So you actually went up there without using the Aura Whisper Thu'um? Honestly, I'm a fucking submarine the way I move, using that whisper whenever it has cooled off. It even works in dungeons and let's you basically see through walls! In combination with my highly enchanted bow and 3x sneak damage, most enemies don't even see me coming...

It's the most useful thing, ever, with Ice Form the next best thing - it doesn't die from the first shot? Switch your shout to Ice Form and keep on shooting. If it isn't dead before reaching you, freeze his ass into a nice block, move away to a nice distance, and unfreeze him by sticking another arrow into his ugly face. Repeat as long as necessary. (Usually only once.)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

When I first made the trip to High Hrothgar with my main char, I had Unrelenting Force and that was it. I've been playing my semi-jokey Khajiit brawler, Fists North-Star, lately, and though he knows plenty of Shouts, he has done absolutely none of the main quest aside from the escape from Helgen. Thus, none of them are usable owing to a complete lack of dragons and, therefore, dragon souls. That's okay though, he can just one-shot most people with his fists, and for everything else there's Fireballs. :D
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Why, at level sixty are Foresworn Briarhearts still taking off two thirds of my health? Those guys are a menace, it's like I'm not even WEARING epic glass armor :shock: I can incinerate them at range as long as my suicidal companion doesn't LEAP in the way.

By the way, your companions can carry way more stuff when you enchant all their armor with fortify carry burden. My biggest problem is depleting city vendors of cash when I'm trying to unload. Is there a particularly rich vendor anyone knows of? Half of them can't afford the stuff I make.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Start taking perks in the Speechcraft tree. Vendors will get more money, and you can get any vendor to buy anything.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Themightytom wrote:Why, at level sixty are Foresworn Briarhearts still taking off two thirds of my health? Those guys are a menace, it's like I'm not even WEARING epic glass armor :shock: I can incinerate them at range as long as my suicidal companion doesn't LEAP in the way.

By the way, your companions can carry way more stuff when you enchant all their armor with fortify carry burden. My biggest problem is depleting city vendors of cash when I'm trying to unload. Is there a particularly rich vendor anyone knows of? Half of them can't afford the stuff I make.

can you sneak/pickpocket? You may already know this, but if you cvan get behind a briarheart and have the ability to pickpocket equipped items (That last bit may be optional, I'm not 100% sure) but you can literally take the heart right out of their inventory, killing them.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Executor32 wrote:Start taking perks in the Speechcraft tree. Vendors will get more money, and you can get any vendor to buy anything.
Like you even need that. I'm only 30ish Speechcraft and none of the perks and i'm still swimming in gold, houses, etc. That transmutation spell is game-breaking but Enchantment is even worse. I've become rich from flooding the market with shitty +4 Health Point Gold Rings.
Best care anywhere.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

CaptHawkeye wrote:
Executor32 wrote:Start taking perks in the Speechcraft tree. Vendors will get more money, and you can get any vendor to buy anything.
Like you even need that. I'm only 30ish Speechcraft and none of the perks and i'm still swimming in gold, houses, etc. That transmutation spell is game-breaking but Enchantment is even worse. I've become rich from flooding the market with shitty +4 Health Point Gold Rings.
Yeah transmute is hilariously lucrative. I prefer to enchant crappy iike clothes, just because they go from completely worthless to kind of less worthless

Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

If you complete all the Thieves Guild quests and become Guildmaster there will be a fence in or around each major city that has 4000 gold for trading. Plus an extra 4 merchants in the Ragged Flagon underneath Riften.
Chardok wrote:can you sneak/pickpocket? You may already know this, but if you cvan get behind a briarheart and have the ability to pickpocket equipped items (That last bit may be optional, I'm not 100% sure) but you can literally take the heart right out of their inventory, killing them.
You don't need any perks in pickpocket for that. I was pickpocketing their hearts with just the Thieves Guild Armor and an enchanted ring and necklace and even when I did get caught pickpocketing their heart they still died.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Executor32 wrote:I'm guessing your death on the way up the mountain was at the hands of that asshole frost troll like halfway up?
Yeah. I just slain a dragon on the way up the steps, celebrated by blasting the area with the basic fire spell and got quite distracted when I hit the troll with relatively low health and mana.

I then compounded the mistake by trying to back away and shit, realised I was heading too close to the edge and then walked right into the troll claws where he swiped me to Oblivion.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Just how important are dragonscale/bones? I'm planning to sell some of these, as well..... I have 15 of each and in terms of main quest, I'm only just completed the journey up the 7 thousand steps.

I also severely hate the look of dragonscale armor, so... well, just how "viable" is leather armor in end game?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

who gives a flip about leather? I'm rocking glass armor/gauntlets, elven (lol) boots of resist fire and, of course, Krosis (mask).
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

If you are pulling of some shenanigans (using lot's of +smithing enchantments and potions), you can bring every armor in the game to grant maximum damage reduction. Very nice if you want to wear lower level armor for looks.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

I'm at level ~30 and didn't bother powerleveling smithing or going too crazy with enchantments. My main still uses (mostly) fur armor. He survives well enough. Modern ES games aren't all that hard.
Truth fears no trial.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Yeah, the ability to always hit things you're aiming at kind of helped, there.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Well, I liked the asethetics. I'm playing as a spellsword, or Jedi Lite and leather comes pretty close to stimulating the look. The only drawback is the damn hood which forces me to scarifice the armour perk.I took it anyway and am running with it cause the armour rating of 80 makes me pretty vulnerable to anything stronger than bandits.....
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

You can easily get the maximum effective armor rating with three points in the first light armor perk, the custom fit perk (all light armor equipped) and some apparel enchanted with fortify smithing.

The Nightingale Armor has an armored hood.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

That's more for a Sith character, though. It's what Darth Valefar is currently wearing, if I remember correctly.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

PainRack wrote:Well, I liked the asethetics. I'm playing as a spellsword, or Jedi Lite and leather comes pretty close to stimulating the look. The only drawback is the damn hood which forces me to scarifice the armour perk.I took it anyway and am running with it cause the armour rating of 80 makes me pretty vulnerable to anything stronger than bandits.....
I'm pretty sure the Skyrim Nexus actually has a mod now to remove the requirement for wearing helmets to get the custom fit bonus.
Truth fears no trial.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Well, I'm starting to learn the limitations of being a skirmisher. I can deal the damage, although I can barely outheal through damage. Facing off against a giant was.... instructional. barely won by having my tanker take all the damage. the odd damage halved my life.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

PainRack wrote:Well, I'm starting to learn the limitations of being a skirmisher. I can deal the damage, although I can barely outheal through damage. Facing off against a giant was.... instructional. barely won by having my tanker take all the damage. the odd damage halved my life.
Giants are a menace for a fairly long time. I find a combination of the rapid movement and unyielding force shouts is effective against them when I DO have to fight them.
Truth fears no trial.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Frost attacks (due to their slow effect) work very well, too.
Or long-range sneak attacks, if pulled off properly one can easily get enough hits to kill the giant that way.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Keep poisons around for that, too. You can rack up some serious damage while the giant closes.
Truth fears no trial.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I've been perching on tall rocks and fireballing them to death since level five.
Admittedly the first couple took like twenty minutes, and I had to compensate for Lydia's suicidal aggression by first leaving her out in the middle of nowhere and later replacing her with Janis. I also have the highborn trait will helps you regenerate magic quickly, and picked up/made apparel/potions on the way that gave me a giant magic tank. Because of my past experience with oblivion, for the first three hours of the game, I was travelling to all the major towns, and then just WALKING circles around Skyrim, picking stuff up and eating it. It has made the rest of the game very enjoyable, whereas my brother is playing stop and go, because he has to explore whole new areas to get to where he's going, and has to look stuff up on wiki to figure out how to craft.

The single largest problem I've had with giants is how to cart all their shit off to the nearest town and sell it :-p

Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Well, 1.4 patch has hit. Time to see if I can finally start Blood on the Ice so I can buy that fucking house in Windhelm.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。