Station Of SD.Net

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

S.L.Acker
BANNED

Re: Station Of SD.Net

Post by S.L.Acker »

Assuming we have enough mages capable of enchantment our space station could be nigh indestructible even with simple low level spells. Items of healing at even a low level combined with our medical technology should mean injuries less than death or dismemberment are easy to treat. At higher levels diseases can be eradicated and even death itself can be avoided. This isn't even speaking of what a mass sanctuary spell and some illusion cast over the station might do to thwart any incoming attack. So we should have plenty of safe time to adjust.

On offense things can get very fun with aiming greatly aided by giving items of true spell to our gunners to aid even our high quality sensors. This isn't even mentioning offensive enchantments of missile weapons, or what greater invisibility on the same might do. Depending on how sci-fi shields and magic interact etheral boarding parties and magical teleportation will be great boons. Summoned monsters directly injected into the enemy hull could also be very difficult to deal with even with the weakest of summons.

Scrying and other divination spells will be better than even FTL sensors at detecting certain threats. If an item can be crafted to emulate true naming then we can even get line of sight blind sense effect stretching a potentially infinite range. If that's out we can send eyeball scouts out to gather information at a range that is also listed as 'line of sight'. No mention of any lag between the eye seeing something and info being sent, so that's one form of FTL optical sensor.

This is just fairly low level stuff of the top of my head.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Don't worry, I can think of . . . creative restrictions. And yes, hero factions and villain factions from all universes are available. As it so happens, it is precisely however long it was after the ending of the Fifth Season of Babylon 5, or the last season of TNG, etceterar. (By that I mean, if it was 2262 by the end of Crusade, it's 13 years later now.) Also, I"m not an expert or that knowledgable of Star Wars ten years after the Emperor bit it in the reactor of the Death Star, but it's say, uh, 29 years afterwards. (Seeing as it's 2012 now)
Also, as GM, I have the power to restrict everyone's use of powers. I will try not to be an evil genie and turn your powers against you, but I can, if I wish it, simply cause it to fizzle out.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Pfft, Battlecrabs and Sharlins die to puny 2 megaton nukes. They're not much of a threat if we figure out to make ourselves some REAL nukes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Sharlin. But...yeah.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

What's the point in giving us power if we are always in a situation where it can fizzle based on a whim. For that matter you're a mere mortal, if we have actual magic we can call on the very gods to rid ourselves of your restrictions. I see no reason not to let all the magics work with as much reliability as they do in their standard universes and have knowable means of working.

I can see limits based on how they work against things like shields and cloaking devices though.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

S.L.Acker wrote:What's the point in giving us power if we are always in a situation where it can fizzle based on a whim. For that matter you're a mere mortal, if we have actual magic we can call on the very gods to rid ourselves of your restrictions. I see no reason not to let all the magics work with as much reliability as they do in their standard universes and have knowable means of working.

I can see limits based on how they work against things like shields and cloaking devices though.
That's kind of what I mean. I mean, it's not just I can decide your powers don't work on a whim, I"m just going to have to some how restrict powers based on a rational, in-universe kind of way. The point of the game is to have a solid-permanent headquarters, survive, and kind of explore, always having a reference and fall-back point. There are things that could threaten us even when we get our acts together, act intelligently and develop our massive powers, but given the fact that so many of us have a firm education, it could be possible to threaten even the Time Lords with our wankitude.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

Depending on how much experience killing a ship nets we could get epic pretty quick.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

S.L.Acker wrote:Depending on how much experience killing a ship nets we could get epic pretty quick.
Eh. . . killing things won't really net Exp. This is more like "Skyrim".
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

That was more of a joke anyway. I'd think gaining in magical power would be more a factor of study, research, and practice as is anything in life. Depending on how complete our understanding is, what the most powerful among us can do, and how interoperable magic systems are, we could either get powerful very swiftly, or magic might simply be a very nice perk.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

If I join I chose... powers based on Magical Girl Lyrica Nanoha. Here I think is the best part to start if looking for an understanding of the magitek powers that I am talking about. The powers do come down to some of the more ridiculous ends of anime, but I don't think in a lifetime of work I'd make it past A level. Sure A level has powers equal to a small nuke, but meh not too far off some of the cheesier dnd nerds will start working towards. And I just like the fact that owning a Device increases my capacity to learn. That will help a lot in getting the station working.

Though that is mostly if I had a Intelligent Device rather than a lesser version. Oh well at least they don't require any heavy industry to make so theoretically I could make one if I had a lesser device.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Alright. :)
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

From a defense prospective, what options do we have for dealing with posession? Sith Force Ghosts, Goa'uld, and the like are almost certain to be gunning for our "high magic potential" bodies even ignoring the potential to infiltrate and aquire our tech.

If there's no First One tech on hand that can clean that sort of thing up for us, what options do the mage types have for exorcisms?
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

The best defense is just not letting them get to you in the first place.

If they do grab somebody we have a few options. Sith ghosts should be dealt with by any Clerical type D&D nerds, turn undead should work on them. Dispel possession is a 5th level Cleric/Mage spell. Even before that token items of protection from possession will be nice and cheap as that's a first level spell open to all casters.

So that really shouldn't be our biggest issue even with just D&D magic.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Has everyone chosen their applications yet?

We've got, a Day/NightWatch mage, a Fall Out guy in armor who will have to choose other powers later, hm. . . an artificer, and what else?
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Does Captain Marvel, Captain Atom, or Firestorm work fine if APA Mk II isn't that great?
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Demiurgas wrote:Don't worry, I can think of . . . creative restrictions. And yes, hero factions and villain factions from all universes are available. As it so happens, it is precisely however long it was after the ending of the Fifth Season of Babylon 5, or the last season of TNG, etceterar. (By that I mean, if it was 2262 by the end of Crusade, it's 13 years later now.) Also, I"m not an expert or that knowledgable of Star Wars ten years after the Emperor bit it in the reactor of the Death Star, but it's say, uh, 29 years afterwards. (Seeing as it's 2012 now)
Also, as GM, I have the power to restrict everyone's use of powers. I will try not to be an evil genie and turn your powers against you, but I can, if I wish it, simply cause it to fizzle out.
Okay, for SW, if we count the EU, that puts us between NJO and the Dark Nest books. If we go from the end of Crusade, rather than from Sleeping in Light, which fast-forwarded 20 years, so SHeriden is still alive and probably still president of the IA. Maybe we can even save Londo, if we organize and act quickly. Having the Centauri Emperor owe us one would be nice for purposes of legitimacy, even if a Centauri battlefleet is unable to add much against some of the threats we'll face.

We can probably establish a pretty good rapport with the SGC, both being small groups with technology considerably above the norm. Then again, they, and everyone else, will probably be suspicious of our motives and off-balance from the sudden materialization of so many unknown empires. There is also at least a small problem in that even our allies are likely to covet our advanced technology.

Oh, btw Demiurgas, if this thread follows the same pattern as the dragon rar before it, expect several people to flood in once you get a decent post/page number and proclaim that with our advanced technology and powers we should really conquer the universe, for it's own good, of course. If you object, expect them to call you overly restrictive, if any of the rest of us object, they will say that we are setting up an opressive facist government that will be impossible to maintain in the long run, that they reject the authority of our emergency government, which is really just a bunch of internet nerds dropped in the situation and picked democratically.

They may also try to kill the rest of us, then say we have no moral authority to imprison them or in any way hinder their murder attempts.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Ahriman238 wrote:
Demiurgas wrote:Don't worry, I can think of . . . creative restrictions. And yes, hero factions and villain factions from all universes are available. As it so happens, it is precisely however long it was after the ending of the Fifth Season of Babylon 5, or the last season of TNG, etceterar. (By that I mean, if it was 2262 by the end of Crusade, it's 13 years later now.) Also, I"m not an expert or that knowledgable of Star Wars ten years after the Emperor bit it in the reactor of the Death Star, but it's say, uh, 29 years afterwards. (Seeing as it's 2012 now)
Okay, for SW, if we count the EU, that puts us between NJO and the Dark Nest books. If we go from the end of Crusade, rather than from Sleeping in Light, which fast-forwarded 20 years, so SHeriden is still alive and probably still president of the IA. Maybe we can even save Londo, if we organize and act quickly. Having the Centauri Emperor owe us one would be nice for purposes of legitimacy, even if a Centauri battlefleet is unable to add much against some of the threats we'll face.

We can probably establish a pretty good rapport with the SGC, both being small groups with technology considerably above the norm. Then again, they, and everyone else, will probably be suspicious of our motives and off-balance from the sudden materialization of so many unknown empires. There is also at least a small problem in that even our allies are likely to covet our advanced technology.

Oh, btw Demiurgas, if this thread follows the same pattern as the dragon rar before it, expect several people to flood in once you get a decent post/page number and proclaim that with our advanced technology and powers we should really conquer the universe, for it's own good, of course. If you object, expect them to call you overly restrictive, if any of the rest of us object, they will say that we are setting up an opressive facist government that will be impossible to maintain in the long run, that they reject the authority of our emergency government, which is really just a bunch of internet nerds dropped in the situation and picked democratically.

They may also try to kill the rest of us, then say we have no moral authority to imprison them or in any way hinder their murder attempts.
Ehheheheheheh, lovely bunch you are.

Alright, expect the game to start later tonight or tomorrow.
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

Okay, if Patryns are out, I suppose I'll take up your offer in the OP to style my abilities after the great Tamrielic wizards. I will be able to get ahold of spell tomes, soul gems, and the like, right?
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Cesario wrote:Okay, if Patryns are out, I suppose I'll take up your offer in the OP to style my abilities after the great Tamrielic wizards. I will be able to get ahold of spell tomes, soul gems, and the like, right?
Absolutely.
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

All right then, first order of business is to confirm the state of the station's power, life support, and defensive systems.

Once our immediate security is confirmed, we can then take an inventory of our new tech base. The First Ones were always deliberately mysterious about what they could and couldn't do. We do know that the Shadows had nanotech bio-weapons, but we also know that the same technology can be put to other uses.

I would think that depending on how long the process takes, organizing into search parties and research groups would be the most natural heirarchy until the time comes to formalize a government. Just something to keep us from duplicating effort.

While conducting the search, regularly casting cantrip spells of the various schools of magicka should gradually improve my handling of those energies over time. Fortunately Tamrielic mages don't need a lot of concentration to use their spells, and cantrip training is an effective tradition among PCs and NPCs alike.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

S.L.Acker wrote:As a D&D gamer, I'd be an artificer. What's better than space tech? Magic space tech!

Now if somebody gets us some sort of practical nanoassemblers my job gets even easier as crafting time drops, we can make a wider range of cool stuff, and I can top it off with magic.
Too bad we can't get the tech from Startopia.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

Coalition wrote:
S.L.Acker wrote:As a D&D gamer, I'd be an artificer. What's better than space tech? Magic space tech!

Now if somebody gets us some sort of practical nanoassemblers my job gets even easier as crafting time drops, we can make a wider range of cool stuff, and I can top it off with magic.
Too bad we can't get the tech from Startopia.
How did I never hear about that game? It sounds awesome.

--------------------------------------------------

As for this game/RAR what sort of power levels do we start off at? It makes a great level of difference to my effectiveness if I'm powerful enough to craft wondrous items and potions instead of just making magic scrolls. If we're going less based on the game rules for the class I suppose we could say that I can craft any type of thing, and that some spells seem to prefer being cast into certain items. However, depending on what others get, it might be fair that I'm still limited in what I can actually craft.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

If no one's joining in, I really WILL start on Friday.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Star Destroyer Station

First 6 months:
Now, it's our time. The Powers that Be have assigned our new station. Well, the Station, and also, our station. Our lot in this new Galaxy of confusion and Chaos. The Ragun have always been here, and they reside in the nearby Sector. We'll have to be on our toes if we are to survive. But how will or can we? We don't even have a government or any discernable social structure.

Second Year, first 12 months:
We managed to eek out an existence here on Star Destroyer. Eek out isn't quite the right word. The first few days, even the first week, for some was difficult, but as I give this message it's been a year since we were stranded on this Station. We still have had no contact with the Ragun. If a species like the Ragun haven't discovered us yet, then something is wrong. But I digress. Life on the station has been highly luxurious compared to life on Earth. Despite that, some of us miss our homes, I'm sure we all miss friends, family and the like. Ever since last year we have been busy honing our skills, and trying to learn the basic fundamentals of our new found technology. We know how to operate systems well enough, life support replicates oxygen, light and food perfectly well, as well as clothing. Some of us. . . died. Sort of. We discovered that we can't really die here. Using our Lightsabers, as some of us have, and accidently killing ourselves yielded simultaneously embarressing, painful, but relieving results. We have also managed to create something called a "High Council". Several cliques of different belief systems uniquely tailored for Star Destroyer have been made. Each elected Voice of these cliques have been put on the Council. And important decisions are made here, in the High Council. (All player characters are in the High Council)

High Council Branches:
Love They Neighbor: A humerous acronym, LTN, is a Branch of the High Council which believes in risking our necks, and running around the Galaxy, gaining Allies. An assertive Branch of the High Council which wants us to get out there and do something.

Mind Your P's And Q's: MYPAQ, This Branch thinks the best thing to do is to stay isolationist, somewhat. What it really wants us to do is move slowly and gradually.

Wagggh Now! Derogitively referred to as "Waa!!" As in the crying baby sound, Wagh is the Branch which believes in expansionism. Of course this Branch doesn't necessarily believe in Exterminatus or even Conquest, but they do believe we should try to make ourselves the Sovereign Power of the universe as quickly as possible.

Second Year 18 months
We've learned how to operate these sophisticated small arms, finally. Mind machine interface. How we managed to find out how to operate these guns without wiring our brains to a machine or anything I don't understand. I still don't understand. Also, some of us have managed to hone our skills in our powers well enough to learn basic fundamental principles for very minor abilities. Some of us can even wield a light saber without killing ourselves. Oh, and there's another thing, we have developed enough function of this Station to finally communicate with eachother across entire decks.

Third Year 24 months
STILL NO RUN-IN with the Ragun. Has the ROB left us all here for no reason? Even I"m beginning to lose patience. And perhaps even reason. It seems that I was given some sort of Alienist power, to commune with the Great Old Ones from something called the Cthulhu Mythos. I don't know what that is, but the voices told me not to tell anyone. The Powers that Be have also informed me that most with my powers go insane merely from being in any sort of contact with these so called "gods". Eh, no matter.

On a brighter note, it seems that we have discovered more ship's functions. We are able to make contact with the Ragun probes. But they are all dead probes. I say a "Brighter" note because at least we have learned how to make use of the ship better.

Third Year 30 months
Ah, we've finally managed to get the maintenance Droids in working order, and just recently we have managed to set up a Security System with our Droids. Of course, other basic functions of this technology still elude us. No contact with the Ragun yet, if ever, sadly, but we have managed to . . . just a second. . . "Get up here now." "I have to go. Log out."

Character Sheet:
Username:
Personality: (Required, in order to assign bonuses to your Cosmic powers.)
Real Life Experience: (Job experiences, or at least special attributes which are positive to contributing to the Station.)
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Username: DudeGuyMan
Personality: Nauseated at yet another ludicrously overcomplicated pointless RAR.
Real Life Experience: Absolutely nothing that contributes to being a space wizard.

I manifest the powers of Harry Keogh from the Necroscope book series. Using the Mobius Continuum, I teleport myself back to Earth and post goatse in every SD.net forum until banned, so as to prevent myself being sucked up into any more ridiculous scenarios. I then use my abilities to make a nice living as a stage magician while a billion miles away 5000 random dudes with newfound god powers go insane and kill each other fighting over who gets to be Wizard King of Space Station Fattynerd.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

User name: Panzersharkcat
Personality: Trigger-happy
Real-life experience: The only thing relevant to being a soldier in power armor was two years of ROTC and even then I could not lead a squad out of a wet paper bag.

I express disappointment I haven't gotten a chance to shoot at anything yet. I also wonder what the stock of 2mm EC ammo is in this station because I will burn through a lot.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer