Modern Day Military VS Olympian Pantheon.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Re: Modern Day Military VS Olympian Pantheon.

Post by Channel72 »

First, we'd need to really identify the "canonical" sources that constitute Greek mythology. (And do we include Roman sources in this? Do we need to distinguish between G-canon and R-canon? :wink:)

The best sources (highest-level canon) are probably the archaic-period sources like the Iliad and Odyssey, along with Hesiod and all of the Homeric hymns, because they are the oldest sources and therefore "closest" to the mythological heroic age (which corresponds to the real-world Mycenaean era, back through mythological pre-history.)

Then we could have a "lesser canon", which includes the Greek playwrights, like Aeschylus and Euripides, along with other classical-era and Hellenistic sources. And finally, there's the Roman writers like Virgil and Ovid.
Ted C wrote:I'm pretty sure that the creation of humans predates the birth of the Olympians in most accounts. Rhea kept Cronus from swallowing Zeus like his elder siblings and sent him to Crete to be raised.
There's conflicting accounts of how man/woman were created. According to Hesiod, Kronos created the first humans during the "Golden Age". The creation of woman, however, is often associated with the Prometheus story and Pandora. But I don't think there's anything in the literature that says the gods gain power by human worship. However, the gods obviously enjoy human worship, and they are constantly appeased/placated by humans who promise to sacrifice X animals or whatever in their honor. There might be some echoes of Mesopotamian mythology with the idea that sacrificing animals to the gods was like "feeding" them - but this idea doesn't seem to be applied too literally, since most of the scenes on Olympus depict the gods feeding on ambrosia.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ted C wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Ted C wrote:Also, the Olympians are, quite literally, powered by worship.
Eh?
At least according to some of the mythology books I've read, the Olympians derived power from the love and worship of humans. That's what made them more powerful than the Titans and allowed them to take over.
I have not seen anything like that. Where?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Thanas wrote:
Ted C wrote:At least according to some of the mythology books I've read, the Olympians derived power from the love and worship of humans. That's what made them more powerful than the Titans and allowed them to take over.
I have not seen anything like that. Where?
Heck, I haven't seen that particular mythology book in years. We can dismiss that point as apocryphal, I suppose, until I can find a new reference.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

From everything I've ever read, the Olympians defeated the Titans because the Cyclops made three kickass weapons for Zeus and his brothers - the thunderbolt for Zeus, the helm of darkness for Hades, and the trident for Poseidon. These, combined with several of the Titans actually siding with the Olympians, lead to them winning.

Not from believers clapping their hands.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

DudeGuyMan wrote:Weren't a couple deities wounded by mortals on the battlefield during the Illiad? Aphrodite and Ares, I think. I'll bust out my old copy of Mythology by Edith Hamilton tomorrow or something.
Diomedes ruined the shit of the Apollo faction on more than one occasion. He was Athena's go-to for ruining Ares' day. But, you know, there are no Diomedes left in the world.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Revy wrote:From everything I've ever read, the Olympians defeated the Titans because the Cyclops made three kickass weapons for Zeus and his brothers - the thunderbolt for Zeus, the helm of darkness for Hades, and the trident for Poseidon. These, combined with several of the Titans actually siding with the Olympians, lead to them winning.

Not from believers clapping their hands.
Might have been an interpretation peculiar to that one book.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

That interpretation comes from Aristophanes' The Birds, which dates from the Socratic period of religious thought, quite distant from what we think about as "Greek Mythology".

In addition, Demeter, as the grain goddess of a Mediterranean climate, would produce a scorching eternal summer to kill off grains and cereals, rather than an eternal winter, which is the product of interpretations through the lens of a more northerly climate.

That said, the interpretations of the Olympian deities tended to be in flux, and our conception of, for example, the Moirae is very dependent on what period we look at. In later conceptions they are above even Zeus as the personification of Fate, or as part of the greater conception of Ananke. However, apparently in the Gigantomachy they were vulnerable enough to be defeated by the Giants without the help of Heracles.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

I wish they'd make a Greek mythology movie that wasn't total twaddle. I guess there was some Theseus movie recently that had fuck all to do with the myths of Theseus, which seems like a waste.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

That would be 'Immortals', featuring a modern recurve bow spray painted black to serve as plot device of the movie (which didn't even have any basis in actual mythology, and it's not like Greek myths have a shortage of magic weapons). Oh, and the Greek gods mysteriously having to follow a Federation Prime Directive of non interference because ... well, just because, okay? Don't forget that the gods had the ability to effortlessly slaughter Titans (now in mini grey zombie flavour!) and yet choose to imprison them instead of just executing them all, again, just ... just because! Stop asking questions! Look at the pretty SFX instead! Ooooh, fancy!

It was made by the same people who did 300, and is to Greek mythology as 300 was to the Spartans and Persians. I think someone pointed out that you could remove Theseus from the movie entirely and it would make next to no difference. But hell, it has Ares waltzing about in slow mo making headspolde, so it's all cool. Right? Right?
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

At least Immortals was somewhat more entertaining than Crap Clash of the Titans, which gave us the awesome Muslim Djinn suicide bombing Medusa.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lolwut?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

The remake of "Clash of the Titans" was even more of a mythology trainwreck than the original.

And they had also picked up on the "gods powered by prayer" schtick, which I can now attribute to Aristophanes.

DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Bit of a tangent, but I'll post it here instead of in a new thread.

A what-if scenario I've thought of in the past is what if, instead of facing off against Achilles and Odessyeus and friends, Troy were facing off against the previous generation of Greek heroes? I have to imagine Troy loses rather easily, but still comes out far better than it did in the Illiad.

You know, Theseus asks politely for Helen back while Orpheus rocks a tune on his lute about how they should totally agree and Hercules stands in the background flexing and breaking rocks over his own head. Odds are they get Helen back with a contrite apology from Paris and hardly any bloodshed. Unless of course the gods conspire to fuck this up.

But even if it comes to a fight, it would probably be HERC SMASH followed by a civilized offering of terms from Theseus the next day, not a decade of back-and-forth slugfest.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Thanas wrote:Lolwut?
See for Yourself. It starts occurring around 4:30. Apologies for the quality. Alternatively you could watch this one if can stand the Mortal Kombat music someone dubbed over it. Apparently they thought it makes it more cooler or something.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

DudeGuyMan wrote:Bit of a tangent, but I'll post it here instead of in a new thread.

A what-if scenario I've thought of in the past is what if, instead of facing off against Achilles and Odessyeus and friends, Troy were facing off against the previous generation of Greek heroes? I have to imagine Troy loses rather easily, but still comes out far better than it did in the Illiad.

You know, Theseus asks politely for Helen back while Orpheus rocks a tune on his lute about how they should totally agree and Hercules stands in the background flexing and breaking rocks over his own head. Odds are they get Helen back with a contrite apology from Paris and hardly any bloodshed. Unless of course the gods conspire to fuck this up.

But even if it comes to a fight, it would probably be HERC SMASH followed by a civilized offering of terms from Theseus the next day, not a decade of back-and-forth slugfest.
If my memory serves me right, Heracles actually did sack Troy once. It took him way less than ten years, too.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

DudeGuyMan wrote:Bit of a tangent, but I'll post it here instead of in a new thread.

Well, if Heracles is involved, the Trojans would definitely not want trouble on account of him sacking Troy by his lonesome once before, although Hera would probably work twice as hard to trigger violence. Most likely by inciting the Achaeans to break their word or something.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

IIRC, it was Herakles sacking the city in Priam's boyhood that inspired the King of Troy to build huge freaking walls and considerable stores for siege.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Having read just a little online, it seems Herc sacked Troy with a company of 12 men and that it had at least some walls. He almost Herc Smashed some buddy of his for being the first to rush through the breach.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Just for giggles, how about the modern military versus Apollo from TOS "Who Mourns for Adonais". He says he's prayer-dependent, but that seems to be more of an emotional need than a power source; his temple seemed to be powering his abilities.

I suppose you could even throw in the rest of the pantheon for more fun. Suppose that in the 21st Century, the Olympians haven't yet committed mass suicide from the loneliness of not being worshipped. Instead, they try to force humanity to worship them the way Apollo did. Have they got what it takes to compel the modern world to worship them?

Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

We've got William Shatner. We're sorted.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

For the time being. The Olympians live forever (or at least long enough for it to make no practical difference), William Shatner...does not.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Couldn't the Trek Olympians just use their force field projection abilities to literally CRUSH all resistance?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Solauren wrote:Couldn't the Trek Olympians just use their force field projection abilities to literally CRUSH all resistance?
That's the question, isn't it?

Remember, the Olympians have a strategic objective: Convince modern humanity to start worshipping them again.

Human militaries have their own objective: Either kill off the Olympians, or convince them to go away so we can pursue our own religious desires.

Which side is likely to achieve its objective?

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

mr friendly guy wrote:Ares can withstand machine gun fire, but he however gets routinely trounced by Hercules whose blows at best knock him back a few metres. I am sure we can calculate the work done by estimating the mass of actor Kevin Smith,
Don't you mean Kevin Sorbo?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Don't you mean Kevin Sorbo?
In the Hercules and Xena shows, Ares was played by actor Kevin Smith.