We try to kill SCP-682...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: We try to kill SCP-682...

Post by Zixinus »

What about space-time anamolies? Is there one that can trap 672 in an infinite loop?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Zixinus wrote:What about space-time anamolies? Is there one that can trap 672 in an infinite loop?
There's coincidentally a forum game on Tvtropes about killing SCP 682. They did considered putting 682 into an infinite time loop, until someone points out the possibility that given its ability to adapt almost to anything, it might eventually develop time-space alteration abilities to which it could escape a time loop. And it would come out far more jaded and bitter after spending potentially many millions of years in the time loop.
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It occurs to me that launching it into space to somewhere far away from Earthly life might actually improve its disposition. If it finds Earthly life disgusting and horrible, sending it somewhere else where things are different could even be doing it a favor.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

It did seem rather happy when 342 was used on it, something that usually evoked terror in humans. Pity that didn't work for more than a few months. Maybe shooting him into space or dumping him on another planet would improve its disposition.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:It did seem rather happy when 342 was used on it, something that usually evoked terror in humans. Pity that didn't work for more than a few months. Maybe shooting him into space or dumping him on another planet would improve its disposition.
Depends if it hates humans in a 'uggh their so ugly I better kill them if I see them' way or a 'there so wrong I have to go out of my way to wipe them all out' way. I'd gess the second as it actively tried to break containment to kill us rather than just killing any humans that come to it.

Doesn't one of the less serious SCPs (a cannon to fire things into the sun), say they shot 682 into the sun and it came back just worse because now it was on fire? :lol:
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What about just dumping the damn thing in lava?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I doubt lava would actually work better than an intense acid bath. It's adapted to become extremely heat-resistant before.

The sun cannon one is a "J for Joke" file. And, hm, from one of the subentries, a thing that got fired into the sun supposedly:
A normal human that, while invulnerable, was not any stronger than a normal man, and could feel pain. (Seriously, why couldn't they just keep him locked up? Leave him alone in a cell? Did it really bother them that much that he couldn't be destroyed? Was it an ego thing? Jesus Christ, they should have just let it go.)
Makes you think...

And personally, I have to wonder- SCP 682 attacks people on sight, yes. It tries to breach containment- but is that because of its revulsion to humans, or because we keep trying to kill it? Maybe if it was in an environment where no one was actively attacking it, where all humanoid life was far, far away, and where it was more inconvenient to return to Earth than to stay where it is, it wouldn't bother to come back?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I can think of an idea, isn't there a super massice singularity at the center of the galazy?, so send it there....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

At this point, I think the only viable thing that can truly contain it is a reverse-time machine. Instead of speeding you either back into the past or present, it would just make a second for you last hundreds of years for your environment.
Essentially, lock the sucker up in statis. He would have no time to adapt and under centuries, surely, a better alternative would present itself or other, sufficiently lethal SCPs might show up.
Credo!
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Zixinus wrote:At this point, I think the only viable thing that can truly contain it is a reverse-time machine. Instead of speeding you either back into the past or present, it would just make a second for you last hundreds of years for your environment.
Essentially, lock the sucker up in statis. He would have no time to adapt and under centuries, surely, a better alternative would present itself or other, sufficiently lethal SCPs might show up.
I got the perfect plan!

Step 1: Wake SCP-239 up, tell her the plight of SCP-507 and manipulate her into wishing SCP-507 have some kind of wristwatch to control where he shifts through dimensions by voice. If it works, put her back to sleep.

Step 2: SCP-507, after gaining said wristwatch [SCP-507C], will shift to the Halo Universe with a group of soldiers and engineers, specifically on a Halo Installation.

Step 3: The Team will find way to remove a Forerunner Stasis Pod [SCP designation pending] and bring it back to SCP home reality.

Step 4: Team will then transport to Star Trek Universe and negotiate for a working Transporter, along with schematics.

Step 5: Modify Transporter, making it that anything going through the transporter as a matter stream will be stuck in the Transporter pattern buffer module ala Montgomery Scott's technique.

Step 6: After getting both devices to work, sedate SCP-682, put it into the Forerunner Stasis Pod and freeze him in temporal-stasis.

Step 7: Put the Pod into the modified Transporter as soon as possible and put the pod and SCP-682 into the Transporter buffer.

Step 8: Given that Transformer Buffers have only 420 seconds storage life before irreversible degradation, SCP-682 should be destroyed quickly enough, with two stasis effects preventing it from developing resistance.

Would this be crazy enough to work?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

If you are going to all that trouble, why not simply transport SCP-682 into one of the infinite other universes where life is impossible due to subtle changes in physical constants?

Or, leave him in the Halo-verse and trigger one of the installations.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:If you are going to all that trouble, why not simply transport SCP-682 into one of the infinite other universes where life is impossible due to subtle changes in physical constants?

Or, leave him in the Halo-verse and trigger one of the installations.
Trying the Halo effect would be greatly simpler. Once again, it could get bad if it developed "destroy all life in the galaxy" powers from the experience.

Once more, they stuck him in a chamber that let them twist the laws of physics into hell-pretzels beyond the nightmares of an 8th-dimensional M. C. Escher, and while they reduced it's mass by 99%, it just seemed to enjoy it.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Even if it does deveop galaxy-killing powers, it would be stuck in the Halo verse and hence no longer our problem.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Well, it found it's way back after being teleported into the Sun, so I wouldn't rule out the strong chance that it would get back to Earth.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Well, it found it's way back after being teleported into the Sun, so I wouldn't rule out the strong chance that it would get back to Earth.
Yes, but it would get back to a different Earth. :D

From the Foundation's point of view, that's a win.

Also, it depends on how SCP-682 thinks. Would it go to extreme lengths to return to a place it hates and was tortured? Or would it just... get on with its life if it found itself in a place where it was inconvenient to come back? So far, we've only seen it sent places where it might plausibly be more motivated to escape than to not escape, and where "SCPverse Earth" is the only place it can escape to.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Actually, the biggest success appears to be the "ticket to hell" SCP (forgot number), where it disappeared for a month (only to appear on a train station elsewhere).

I think the best thing that should be looked at, in-universe-wise, is to look at the origins of the damn thing. Because reading the occasional termination report heavily suggests that this thing is extremely supernatural and only a sufficiently powerful supernatural entity (or item, I keep thinking "excalibur") would be able to truly hurt it.
Credo!
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Zixinus wrote:Actually, the biggest success appears to be the "ticket to hell" SCP (forgot number), where it disappeared for a month (only to appear on a train station elsewhere).

I think the best thing that should be looked at, in-universe-wise, is to look at the origins of the damn thing. Because reading the occasional termination report heavily suggests that this thing is extremely supernatural and only a sufficiently powerful supernatural entity (or item, I keep thinking "excalibur") would be able to truly hurt it.
Result: [Permission Denied]

"No. We are not taking any chances of more of these things finding their way into our dimension. Anyone else who suggest this would be demoted to D-Class personnel status."

- Dr [Redacted]

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Erm, what? What are you talking about?
Credo!
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Simon_Jester wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:Well, it found it's way back after being teleported into the Sun, so I wouldn't rule out the strong chance that it would get back to Earth.
Yes, but it would get back to a different Earth. :D

From the Foundation's point of view, that's a win.

Also, it depends on how SCP-682 thinks. Would it go to extreme lengths to return to a place it hates and was tortured? Or would it just... get on with its life if it found itself in a place where it was inconvenient to come back? So far, we've only seen it sent places where it might plausibly be more motivated to escape than to not escape, and where "SCPverse Earth" is the only place it can escape to.
I think they actually did it before... it just came back.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zixinus wrote:Erm, what? What are you talking about?
SCP-342
Also know as the Ticket to Ride it's a dangerous memetic SCP that changes shape to become what you need to get onto transposition networks. But once you get on you don't get off, you just keep going even when the ride stops. Attempting to leave the method of transportation before you vanish is impossible as things keep happening to get in the way of you getting off.

They tried it on 682 and it worked like a charm for about a month then 682 showed back up none the worse for wear.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:
Zixinus wrote:Actually, the biggest success appears to be the "ticket to hell" SCP (forgot number), where it disappeared for a month (only to appear on a train station elsewhere).

Result: [Permission Denied]

"No. We are not taking any chances of more of these things finding their way into our dimension. Anyone else who suggest this would be demoted to D-Class personnel status."

- Dr [Redacted]
So... it is not permitted to research the origins or nature of SCP-682, in an attempt to figure out a way to kill or banish it...

Dr. [Redacted] is a fucking dimwit.
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

I think I've figured it out ladies and gents.

682 is based on Wolverine's healing ability right, that's why it survives everything. So what we need is the Muramasa sword from the marvel universe.

Use one of the SCP's to create multiple copies of the Muramasa sword. Send in a team of D-class personnel armed with said swords, have them chop 682 into pieces. The effects of the sword should nullify 682's healing ability, allowing it to bleed to death like a normal monster.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

And at that point you will find out that it isn't based on Wolverine's healing ability, and you'll be back to square one.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Soulcutter or Skulltwister from the Book of Swords? Farslayer might work, but I doubt it, and I see it pulling the thing out of it's own chest and hurling it back.

Get a Harry Potter wizard to cast a Killing Curse? A Dnd cleric to cast Implosion, or Disintegrate, or just Harm?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Find the head of a Gorgon? We know that works on the Kraken...