Excepts from "The Legend of Korra" Posted

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Excepts from "The Legend of Korra" Posted

Post by JME2 »

From Spinoff Online

Well, this is looking even better than I thought. Animation looks, if anything, more detailed and sophisticated than the first show. I'm still loving the 1930's look of Republic City.

Anyway way you look at it, this is my must see show of 2012.

The first clip is especially interesting as we're getting a spin-off sendoff in the form of...
Spoiler
...an elderly Katara. Unfortunately, her dialogue indicates Sokka's dead -- and most, if not all, of the Gaang and their allies are dead by the time the show opens. Again, it's not surprising; we all were expecting it, but it's still sad in its way.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: Excepts from "The Legend of Korra" Posted

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Excellent clips. It's interesting to see how Korra is different from Aang - she's much more like Katara.
Spoiler
Yeah, it looks like the rest of the Gaang is dead. That's not surprising with Aang, although I'm surprised that all of them are dead (since 100+ year-olds are not unknown, such as King Bumi in the first series).

It looks like electrification has even spread to the Southern Water Tribe. All of those houses - and the fortified compound - were heavily illuminated.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Korra is such a bad-ass. I love her. Was Aang ever this cocky and up-himself? When she dares the three gang members to try her, I was like :mrgreen:

Also, hilarious how the waterbender douche opens his coat as if to take out a gun...but instead takes out water from somewhere (a sealable bag of water? flask of water?).
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

hongi wrote:Korra is such a bad-ass. I love her. Was Aang ever this cocky and up-himself?
No, he wasn't -- which is already helping to differentiate Korra from her predecessor. Personally, it's a refreshing change.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I must say, I am well on my way to liking Korra (the character) already. I just love the cocky/playful delivery of "Why don't you come and find out?"
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Man, I am so excited for this one. Though I have to say
Spoiler
The "Most of my friends are dead" line is open enough to allow some speculation on which one or two of them are still alive. My money's on Toph, she was the youngest and because she's a fan favorite.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Plus we know that...
Spoiler
...Toph's daughter is the chief of the Republic City and that Toph taught them metal-bending.

Toph does seem the most likely to appear (in the present, not via flashback). If she does, it should make her interactions with Korra interesting, given her friendship with Aang (I imagine it's the same with Katara interacting with her reincarnated husband).
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Alas, the leaked videos are gone. This is what I get for playing SWTOR constantly. :(
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

There's some talk going around that the person responsible for the leak is planning to put the entire first episode out there. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I want to see the episode, but even more than that, I want the series to be a smashing success, and this is something that seems like it would affect the ratings quite a bit.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Alas, the leaked videos are gone. This is what I get for playing SWTOR constantly. :(
I thought you'd be playing DC Universe Online like the rest of us. :P
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bright wrote:There's some talk going around that the person responsible for the leak is planning to put the entire first episode out there. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I want to see the episode, but even more than that, I want the series to be a smashing success, and this is something that seems like it would affect the ratings quite a bit.
It depends on how many people succumb to the temptation to watch. And there's already precedent for this (the online episodes of Gargoyles killing the release of the Season 2.5 DVD),

I'm personally willing to wait. These excerpts - and the trailer -r have whetted my appetite and re-ignited my interest in the Airbender-verse.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Well, the thing is, I don't live in the US, or in fact anywhere where Korra is likely to be aired any time soon, so I'll be downloading the episode eventually anyway... I'd just be willing to wait until whenever for that, probably.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

You allegedly live in Scotland. At least you wouldn't have to wait for the localized version (though I have to admit the german translation of AtLA was pretty damn awesome, to the point where I actually liked some of the german voice actors better than the original ones).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

No, I only study in Scotland. I live in Estonia.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

A lot of the fun comes from watching with the community and all that involves. MLP has simply confirmed that for me. I doubt I'd be watching it if bronies didn't exist. So I think I'm going to wait until it comes out in America, and then I'll watch a leaked version (since we tend to get our shows rather late), so that I can join in the fan squeeing.