Star Wars: Underworld (?)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

generator_g1
Jedi Master

Star Wars: Underworld (?)

Post by generator_g1 »

From io9
Producer and longtime George Lucas collaborator Rick McCallum dropped some key hints about the long-planned live-action Star Wars TV show - the one that supposedly has 50 scripts already written and is just waiting for the costs of visual effects to drop before moving forward. McCallum revealed the show's working title is Star Wars: Underworld, it is indeed set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, that "it's about that period when the Empire is trying to take things [over]", and that the show's primary focus will be on the criminal underbelly of the Star Wars universe. McCallum elaborates:

"It's underneath what's going on. It's the criminals and the gangs. The guys who are running Wall Street, basically. The guys who are running the United States."

You can also check out the original video interview with McCallum at the link(s).
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=85791
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Wars: Underworld (?)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Republicans aren't going to like that last quote. :)

I wish they'd just stop talking about this show and make it. Who cares if the special effects aren't quite top quality? I'd rather have something than nothing.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

So, Noir Wars, basically. (sorry)

I would be fairly interested in watching a story about how the Empire solidifies its control over the galaxy. Despite thunderous applause in the Senate, I imagine that there must have been a substantial number of world whose reaction was "You're doing what? Fuck that shit."

However, I've heard its going to be more Al Swearengen meets Tony Soprano, in space.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thing is, who's going to say no? Who had the kind of military force that a serious insurrection would require? The only ones on the level of the Empire were the CIS, which had their droids shut down. Though the Wookies did fight back at one point, and get swiftly crushed.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Thing is, who's going to say no? Who had the kind of military force that a serious insurrection would require? The only ones on the level of the Empire were the CIS, which had their droids shut down. Though the Wookies did fight back at one point, and get swiftly crushed.
I would assume that's the point. Stoking fear over the Sepertists after they were massively defeated 20 years before ANH is kind of weak. If periodically, a planet here or there rose up against the Repub... er Empire, it would give reason for more and more military build up to the point we see in the OT and EU.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Knife wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Thing is, who's going to say no? Who had the kind of military force that a serious insurrection would require? The only ones on the level of the Empire were the CIS, which had their droids shut down. Though the Wookies did fight back at one point, and get swiftly crushed.
I would assume that's the point. Stoking fear over the Sepertists after they were massively defeated 20 years before ANH is kind of weak. If periodically, a planet here or there rose up against the Repub... er Empire, it would give reason for more and more military build up to the point we see in the OT and EU.
There's a couple of uprisings in BF2.
Some Geonosian restarted the droid factories on Mustarfar (and copped a major orbital bombardment for his trouble). Then the Kaminioans decided they didn't like what was being done with their army, so they started building another one to rebel with.* They were also dealt with swiftly.
So there actually was another CIS threat, as well as the Kaminoan uprising (and however many other single-world rebellions the EU has, I'm sure there's a few).

As for the series, I'd certainly like to see more of the criminal side of the galaxy.
:?: Will they use Tyber Zann as their Tony Soprano?
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Darth Tedious wrote: :?: Will they use Tyber Zann as their Tony Soprano?
Given how little the Clone Wars series cares about the EU, it is doubtful that anything from the rest of the Eu will be featured prominantly. Especially not from a video game that few in Lucasfilm probably care about.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Kingmaker wrote:I would be fairly interested in watching a story about how the Empire solidifies its control over the galaxy. Despite thunderous applause in the Senate, I imagine that there must have been a substantial number of world whose reaction was "You're doing what? Fuck that shit."
I'm hoping to see how they go from the thunderous applause in ROTS to the Imperial military pratically shitting themselves over the likelihood of the Senate throwing in with the rebellion in ANH.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I was hoping for a show with more traditional heroic characters. Not necessarily Jedi (I think the Jedi were ruled out a while ago), but ordinary citizens resisting the Empire, or members of a precursor organization to the Rebel Alliance. But this is an interesting change from the usual.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

It could still easily have those type of characters. I seem to recall the Rebellion, especially in its early years, gaining a lot of support from criminal elements. Even if the main characters aren't necessarily Rebels themselves they could still be rubbing elbows with future Rebel leaders. I could easily see Bail Organa and a young Leia (depending on when the show is set) showing up to seek help from the main characters à la Luke and Obi-Wan contracting out with Han (and Chewie).
Proud member of the no sigs club.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

I can already guess the plot - Set in Coruscant, the main plot would some Jedi survivor stranded deep within the dark bowels of the new Imperial capital trying to escape, along the way picking up a band of allies consisting of gang members/aspiring spaceship pilots he/she picked up along the way, and in the process had to contend with some dedicated/ruthless Imperial pursuit force, the interstellar criminal world (e.g. The Zann Consortium and the Hutts) and a lot of manipulation and fighting in between. Chances are that the plot evolving into a rescue of influential/famous Star Wars characters who would later become core members of the future Rebel Alliance (e.g. Mon Mothma) is inevitable. Oh, and if a Jedi is concerned, he/she will die via sacrifice. Emperor Palpatine / Darth Vader and other major Imperial figures may or may not get involved.

Side plot would showcase the Empire's systematically take over, portrayed step by step, and how the support slowly crumbles away as the people realizes what being Imperial meant, witnessed from the eyes of either a initially loyal Imperial official with a conscience or some near-human alien average citizen who initially supported the Imperial regime. The side characters eventually become disillusioned and horrified with the Imperials, perhaps later becoming wrecked with guilt for doing something horrible for the Imperials at one point. The sideplot would intertwine with the main plot at one point, with the side characters' actions becoming critical to the main heroes' success, and ends either with the side plot characters getting killed for their involvement or the movie ends with them hopeful that their efforts are not in vain and it would help bring about the fall of the Empire.

See if one could throw in some other often ignored but crucial characters, like Kyle Katarn, Han Solo, Shaak Ti or whatever.

Just a hypothesis. How's that?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:I can already guess the plot - Set in Coruscant, the main plot would some Jedi survivor stranded deep within the dark bowels of the new Imperial capital trying to escape, along the way picking up a band of allies consisting of gang members/aspiring spaceship pilots he/she picked up along the way, and in the process had to contend with some dedicated/ruthless Imperial pursuit force, the interstellar criminal world (e.g. The Zann Consortium and the Hutts) and a lot of manipulation and fighting in between. Chances are that the plot evolving into a rescue of influential/famous Star Wars characters who would later become core members of the future Rebel Alliance (e.g. Mon Mothma) is inevitable. Oh, and if a Jedi is concerned, he/she will die via sacrifice. Emperor Palpatine / Darth Vader and other major Imperial figures may or may not get involved.
No, no more Jedi survivors, please. Coruscant is crowded with them as it is with the Coruscant Nights trilogy and all that. It starts to stretch out the suspension of disbelief if every Jedi John Doe around managed to evade the Purge. Besides, the Prequels were all about the Jedi. Maybe the common man should be the focus this time?
Side plot would showcase the Empire's systematically take over, portrayed step by step, and how the support slowly crumbles away as the people realizes what being Imperial meant, witnessed from the eyes of either a initially loyal Imperial official with a conscience or some near-human alien average citizen who initially supported the Imperial regime. The side characters eventually become disillusioned and horrified with the Imperials, perhaps later becoming wrecked with guilt for doing something horrible for the Imperials at one point. The sideplot would intertwine with the main plot at one point, with the side characters' actions becoming critical to the main heroes' success, and ends either with the side plot characters getting killed for their involvement or the movie ends with them hopeful that their efforts are not in vain and it would help bring about the fall of the Empire.

See if one could throw in some other often ignored but crucial characters, like Kyle Katarn, Han Solo, Shaak Ti or whatever.

Just a hypothesis. How's that?
No Solos, Katarns, Tis or anything like that. They have their own adventures and rather extensibe background already. New characters would be preferrable, whose fates are really hanging by the thread. We already know that Solo is going to survive so it would kill much of the suspense. Same for Katarn etc.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Great, the live-action TV series is probably going to stink from this and the earlier stuff I read.

What makes Star Wars great?
1) Jedi vs Sith and Lightsabers. Darth Vader. And Lucas plans not to focus on Jedi/Sith or even Vader. WTF. Fucking Lucas. We have a golden period between ROTS and ANH to focus on Vader's development and his involvement in the Empire. How he coped with his "disabilities". How he hunted down the remaining Jedi and we get to see some real Vader lightsaber action. How he militarily subdued the rest of the galaxy and emerging pockets of resistance. Will we see this? No...
2) Space Battles. Since Lucas said we will be focusing on the "common dude" in the SW-verse, I'm guessing that rules space battles out.

Lastly, what was the worst part of Star Wars? The small-time (relative to the Empire) criminal underworld. And he wants to focus on that? WTF! How da fuck is this going to be science fiction? I want Star Wars, not the fucking Godfather.

George should just stop whatever he is doing, retire and leave Star Wars alone. Hire JMS (B5 author) to write a decent Star Wars SCIENCE FICTION TV series...
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

What makes star wars great? The inclusion of the common man was one of the defining aspects of any of the early scripts for the original star wars. Quite arguably the complete lack of a common man character in the prequels (cause threepio and R2 don't qualify since they don't get their own scenes) ruined them, alongside thinking that JarJar would fit that roll when he is also comic relief in a Greek tragedy.

And hey it isn't like they aren't going to be showing the rise of the Empire from the eyes of the underworld by what they have said.

Though I kinda agree that with no space battles it isn't really star wars, but looking at the clone wars constant battles ala a TV show weaken the threat of any one battle. So having them sparse might work great. And guess what? Criminals will avoid unnecessary battles, but won't shirk when they have to kill someone.

So no so far the ideas presented are decent at least, though maybe not great. Time will tell and we don't have to rush to conclusions this far before production has begun.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Meh, I would guess 'criminal' would go hand in hand with smugglers, with the possibility of Hutt syndicates... that's very Star Wars to me.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Galvatron wrote:
Kingmaker wrote:I would be fairly interested in watching a story about how the Empire solidifies its control over the galaxy. Despite thunderous applause in the Senate, I imagine that there must have been a substantial number of world whose reaction was "You're doing what? Fuck that shit."
I'm hoping to see how they go from the thunderous applause in ROTS to the Imperial military pratically shitting themselves over the likelihood of the Senate throwing in with the rebellion in ANH.
The thunderous applause wasn't exactly genuine. It's a whole bunch of crooked politicians agreeing with someone they have now power nor the will to stop.

I also wouldn't say that they were shitting themselves. There is only one officer in the room that has concerns.

However, 30 years of oppression, if the series covers it that far, is enough time to show the transformation of a corrupt government into a breeding ground for rebellion as I'm sure even those that went along with Palpatine either willingly or unknowingly would have started feeling the oppression of the rest of the galaxy.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Havok wrote:The thunderous applause wasn't exactly genuine. It's a whole bunch of crooked politicians agreeing with someone they have now power nor the will to stop.

I also wouldn't say that they were shitting themselves. There is only one officer in the room that has concerns.
Vader's aide on the Tantive IV makes two ("holding her is dangerous..."). Vader himself makes three if you count the fact that he recognized the danger and fabricated the cover story about the ship's destruction. Hell, Tarkin himself makes four if you count his statement that the Senate would no longer be of any concern.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I really hope the scripts will be of higher quality than the prequels or the clone wars.

Not having much hope on that account though. I fear Lucas will once more neglect all the things that make a show good in favor of effects.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

For a show about the criminal underworld, it'll be interesting to see just how utterly this show ignores the Black Sun crime syndicate of the EU.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I expect the Hutts will get more attention because they're more iconic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Black Sun shows up at some point. Most likely they'll incorporate the EU the same way The Clone Wars does: include various EU places and characters, but alter them significantly.

In any case, Thanas, I don't think you can blame the quality of The Clone Wars on just Lucas. I mean, I'm sure he approves everything, but he's far from the only writer on the series.

I also expect that an hour long live action series will attract better scripts and writers than a half hour cartoon.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Reportedly Russel T. Davies was approached to write for this, but turned it down. Take that for what you will when it comes to whoever's got chosen to write it.

And in regards to Black Sun...well, lord knows the EU likes to pull shit out of its ass regarding the underworld as it is, like with Forces of Corruption.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Russel T. Davies is a fairly successful and prominent television writer in the sci-fi genre, and whatever one may think of the quality of his work, he's fairly popular. Which suggests they're trying to get some of the best, or at least the most prominent, in the business. That's good. I find hiring him for Star Wars a bit odd because Star Wars and Doctor Who are so different in style, but maybe he's versatile enough he could do it. And while the quality of his writing is mixed, they could do a lot worse.

I wonder why he turned it down, presuming this story is true.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

What they need to do is just get CRIME, ESPIONAGE and GOVERNMENT CORRUPTION writers. People that write about the Mafia, Yakuza, Russian Mob, FBI, industrial espionage etc., and get those types of stories and just apply the Star Wars settings after the fact.

It doesn't sound like they need Sci-Fi writers,but just people that can guide writers with the type of technology and such that is available to Star Wars.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I gotta wonder if they're ambitious enough to make Vader a series regular. They just need a guy to fill out the suit, although I'm skeptical that JEJ would do that much voiceover work.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Why wouldn't he?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)