Strange and Interesting Power Sources

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Darmalus
Jedi Master

Strange and Interesting Power Sources

Post by Darmalus »

What interesting, odd or unusual power sources have you seen is Sci fi or fantasy? Any you thought up?

One that sticks out in my memory was from a Stainless Steel Rat book, where the local cops used some sort of peat burning engine in their vehicles. Apparently it was a plentiful local resource and they lacked the infrastructure for anything better on that planet. I always kinda liked the idea of unusual power sources based on what was available, rather than what was most powerful.
Dave
Jedi Knight

Re: Strange and Interesting Power Sources

Post by Dave »

Well, it's a power storage unit rather than a power producer, but I enjoyed the concepts of "niling d-sinks" from Hamilton's Commonwealth series. It would create its own "pocket universe" in which you could stuff theoretically infinite amounts of energy (though I think in practice you could only store "a couple of grams worth" of energy -- remember E=mc2 ?)

Presumably the safety feature was that you would just detach the pocket universe from this one and it would become its own Big Bang in that universe. If it failed catastrophically, well, you got a big bang in this universe. :wink:
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Anti-ice from the book of the same name was interesting. My favorite has to be the cosmic amplifier device from EE Smith's Lensman series. it could give off more energy then perfect energy conversion of the used up fuel.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Darmalus wrote:One that sticks out in my memory was from a Stainless Steel Rat book, where the local cops used some sort of peat burning engine in their vehicles. Apparently it was a plentiful local resource and they lacked the infrastructure for anything better on that planet. I always kinda liked the idea of unusual power sources based on what was available, rather than what was most powerful.
Also in the Stainless Steel Rat novels (the first in fact) was a self-stoking coal powered robot ("Stoke, you idiot! Stoke!!") It was the result of a technological aid policy of dropping off vital "seed" components like robot brains & actuators and letting the locals build the bulk of the machines with local technology.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot this one: Various people have pointed out that the Portals from the Portal games let you create a perpetual motion device/power plant. A simple version is to take a pool; you put a Portal on the roof, another on the floor and you have a perpetual waterfall as water drains out the bottom and appears out of the roof Portal. Stick in a waterwheel and there you have it; perpetual power.

There's also the classic idea of using Wolverine's perpetually regenerating flesh as a power source; on another forum I (not exactly seriously) suggested installing him inside a fusion powered Bolo tank and cracking the hydrogen in his perpetually-regenerating blood for unlimited fuel.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

A psy-generator fed by insecurities and mental trauma.

Just think of the glorious campaigns of Social Engineering it would give us !

Citizens :
Your pains
Our gains
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Rabid wrote:A psy-generator fed by insecurities and mental trauma.

Just think of the glorious campaigns of Social Engineering it would give us !

Citizens :
Your pains
Our gains
40K in a nutshell
I seem to remeber there being a secondary plot line in Hellboy where humans were using a Abomination as a giant battery
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Rabid wrote:A psy-generator fed by insecurities and mental trauma.
I think it was Ian Watson who wrote a short story where they had an FTL drive powered like that; they used rape as the power source.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Lord of the Abyss wrote: There's also the classic idea of using Wolverine's perpetually regenerating flesh as a power source; on another forum I (not exactly seriously) suggested installing him inside a fusion powered Bolo tank and cracking the hydrogen in his perpetually-regenerating blood for unlimited fuel.
There was also making the Flash run on a treadmill in DK2.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

There was this not particularly serious one short story I once read where the vast power needs of FTL were filled by a psionic power generator that operated off of the female orgasm, the most powerful force known to mankind. Pretty amusing really.

I forget if they needed just one or like, banks of girls on racks or something.

Spelljammer, this really old setting for D&D in the bad old days, apparently had ships powered by giant space hampsters on wheels.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

The Dark Eldar from 40K have refined the extraction of soul-stuff through torture to the point of building robot tanks that snatch up people to use as a fuel source.

In mutineer's moon and sequels, the Fourth (and Fifth) Imperium has a trick they call a core tap, where they use the power of dozens of fusion reactors to rip a hole into hyperspace, maintain and siphon energy from it. Containment can get tricky over protracted period though, and fusion is already common and reliable, so they really only use core taps when they need ridiculuos power levels, like for FTL or planetary shields or so on.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

It's less strange than most being mentioned, but I quite like the one from the short story, The Clockwork Atom Bomb: Spoiler
spinning black holes effectively being used as flywheels.
Lord of the Abyss wrote:I think it was Ian Watson who wrote a short story where they had an FTL drive powered like that; they used rape as the power source.
Seriously?
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Grumman wrote:Seriously?
Yes, it was written from the viewpoint of one of the victims and was quite depressing.
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

The Electronic Pump and the Cosmeg Pump.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Could you elaborate ?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Yes, it was written from the viewpoint of one of the victims and was quite depressing.
What's the name of that story?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I've always like the idea of using a gravity well and transporter tech to accelerate something to near the speed of light.

Say - pour lots of water down a long tube towards a large gravity well. AT the end is a Portal (ala Portal Video Games)
The water accelerates to the portal, and then comes out back where it started.
Rinse and repeat.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Rabid wrote:Could you elaborate ?
If Omeganian is talking about what I think he/she/it is, that'd be the Electron/Cosmeg pump from Asimov's 'The Gods Themselves' see here which technically,like the Stargate ZPM, isn't a way to generate power so much as a way to siphon it from another universe.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Here's one I recall from a short story in I think Analog. They'd invented some kind of field that could perfectly reflect radiation. When used to completely encase an object, the fact that almost everything has a little radioactivity caused a chain reaction; the radiated particles can't escape, so they bounce around until they hit something. That causes a nuclear reaction, which releases more particles which can't escape either and bounce around until they react with something, releasing more particles and so on in an escalating cycle until they had enough nuclear reactions going on to produce enough energy for a power source. So they had a nuclear reactor that could use almost any material as fuel (wouldn't work with iron I presume, that can't be fissioned or fused for energy).
Purple wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:
What's the name of that story?
Sorry; I read it a long, long time ago and don't recall the title.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

There was an online card game circulating around the net a while ago, Hidden Dimensions was the name. I don't think they wrote much backstory, but each of the 8 races/factions utilized a different sort of power generating tech. So you had solar power, antimatter, "nebular," fusion, "entropic" from a very much HP Lovecraft inspired race, gravity, dimensional, and "rift" energies. The aliens who used 'nebular' energy, the Xyloxi, were big floating space crystals, and all the power generating cards showed crystal spires in blue clouds. The entropic aliens were just weird. Technomancers use dimensional energy gathered with dimensional gates. The 'rift' energy is for Rift Demons, sort of energy/cloud beings from another place, and is some sort of power from their home.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Asimov also has the story Billiard Ball, where the inventor of an antigravity device is killed during a test... turns out it's useless for transport, but perfect as a first type Perpetuum Mobile.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well, it probably doesn't count as sci-fi, but Monsters, Inc. had a massive city powered by children's screams.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Wasn't it powered by their fear, which was only expressed through their screams?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

No, it was definitly their screams. Volume based power levels. There was even a scene of the little one trying and failing to get a kid to scream for him.

In the end, of course, they convert to a laughter-based power system.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

A strangelet powered reality rewriting Vacuum collapse device from Stephan Baxter's Manifold: Time?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.