If you could have any power from "Heroes"...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

If you could have any power from "Heroes"...

Post by Dr Roberts »

What would you choose?

I'd choose the Space-Time manipulation that Hiro possesses.
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Re: If you could have any power from "Heroes"...

Post by Darth Tedious »

I haven't watched much of Heroes, but yeah, of what I have seen, that time-shifty stuff looked to be the most impressive talent demonstrated.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Depends. If there are other people around with powers, I'd go with Peter's "copy everyone else's" power, then immediately go and find Claire, Hiro and Sylar (or their equivalents) in that order.

If it's just me...hmmm...I'll go with either space/time manipulation a la Hiro or the mega Telekinesis Sylar and Peter displayed. Flipping armoured cars with a small gesture? Sweet.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Interestingly I'm just starting to rewatch the first season of Heroes now.

I'd probably go for Hiro's power as well.

I've always wanted teleportation, the time travel part might lead to a few problems so I'd probably not use that bit much although just stopping (or really slowing time) might be useful.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

The really slowing time could come in handy. I would like to think I would use my powers responsibly and for the Greater Good (TM), but I know I would use it to be a bastard. Politicians would not be safe from having their trousers pulled down in the middle of speeches, or ludicrous moustaches being added. Also getting money. I'd basically become a cosmic jester, laughing at everyone and taking a small amount on the side as compensation for my valuable public service (of causing supreme amusment and embarassing politicians. And giving the Secret Service fits).

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Omeros
Youngling

Post by Omeros »

If I knew I was going to be the only super, it would have to be Hiro's time manipulation/teleport abilities. If there were others, then I'd take Peter's ability to duplicate their powers.
Moby Halcyon
Youngling

Post by Moby Halcyon »

There's a girl who shows up in season two who can instantly learn any skill she sees demonstrated on TV. I'd totally be down for that.
"Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'"
—Fred, Angel
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

THat's a good one. I might also be tempted by the power shown by that diner waitress from season 1. The one who is able to learn things at an absurdly silly rate. That could come in handy while being low-key enough to avoid attracting government attention.

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Moby Halcyon wrote:There's a girl who shows up in season two who can instantly learn any skill she sees demonstrated on TV. I'd totally be down for that.
Taskmaster, totally.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

In my case it would probably have to be regeneration. Disease-free immortality? Sign me up! That being said I wouldn't use it in some flashy, attention-grabbing manner or announce it to the world like Claire did. I'd just try to live a nice, quiet and comfortable (but not excessively wealthy) life as a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen. I'd definitely be interested in witnessing what the future holds for better or worse (particularly any significant cultural and scientific/technological developments in the coming centuries).

One possible use for the ability would be to establish some private clinics that would be stocked with vials of my blood and provide transfusions to those with terminal or untreatable medical conditions. However, I can't see that having any positive long-term consequences (unwanted scrutiny, government experimentation/exploitation), so the low-key life it is.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Other Supers: Peter
No other Supers: Time/Space, but regeneration is a close 2nd.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Post by Twoyboy »

Can't believe no one wanted to be Matt Parkman. Well, not be him since he's a whiny loser, but be a far cooler version of him with his power. Not just able to read minds, but in some circumstances control them. Freakin' Awesome!

Would I misuse it? I hope not too much, but honestly I could see myself living a life of luxury through various deceitful moves.

Off on a tangent, if I could combine powers, the girl who could pick up all kinds of electromagnetic information (radio, wireless, etc) and Micah Sanders' ability to control electronic machines would be great fun. :)
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

I'd love to have the power of Charlie Andrews, i.e. an eidetic memory with rapid understanding of what you've assimilated. That power (Charlie gained a working knowledge of Japanese by reading a phrasebook for a week) would be next to godhood as far as I'm concerned.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

The first dude we see Sylar kill could melt metal. I'd take that ability and get into the metals business. I figure with some practice I could refine ores and make alloys and everything. Also, good luck making a safe I can't break into, if I wanted to consider shadier opportunities.
XXXI
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Phantasee wrote:The first dude we see Sylar kill could melt metal. I'd take that ability and get into the metals business. I figure with some practice I could refine ores and make alloys and everything. Also, good luck making a safe I can't break into, if I wanted to consider shadier opportunities.
The first guy Sylar killed had telekinesis, the guy your thinking of came later and was able to liquefy,if i remember correctly, any material not just metal.

My power would be have to be telepathy, when you unlock all the upgrades you become a illusion master.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The OP should really disallow this, but basically the only choice is Peter's power for basically being a giant sponge. Assuming there are other 'powered' people running about who you can sponge off.

The biggest problem really is the issue of controlling your powers. Stuff like flying sounds great, until you fly into a building or a 747 comes out of nowhere and you go into the jet intake. Being a telepath might have the highest utility, but what if you can't switch it 'off'? I think it would suck if you were CONSTANTLY hearing people's surface thoughts all the damn time.

Claire's invulnerability and Hiro's time-hopping are probably the best from a practical standpoint. You could do all sorts of shit with the latter, and it appeals to me because you could literally just go anywhere and any time by closing your eyes and scrunching your face.

Man this thread has just reminded me of how lame Heroes was. Hey guys remember how in like the first episode or whatever Hiro's future self was this bad ass who was comfortable manipulating time and spoke english (and wielded a katana for... some reason)? Do you remember how Hiro's character for the next four years received absolutely NO development? Haha I can't believe I watched this show for as long as I did.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Stofsk wrote:I think it would suck if you were CONSTANTLY hearing people's surface thoughts all the damn time.
that would be true except or the fact that Parkman didn't hear peoples thoughts all the time.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Adrian McNair wrote:In my case it would probably have to be regeneration. Disease-free immortality? Sign me up! That being said I wouldn't use it in some flashy, attention-grabbing manner or announce it to the world like Claire did. I'd just try to live a nice, quiet and comfortable (but not excessively wealthy) life as a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen. I'd definitely be interested in witnessing what the future holds for better or worse (particularly any significant cultural and scientific/technological developments in the coming centuries).

One possible use for the ability would be to establish some private clinics that would be stocked with vials of my blood and provide transfusions to those with terminal or untreatable medical conditions. However, I can't see that having any positive long-term consequences (unwanted scrutiny, government experimentation/exploitation), so the low-key life it is.
I quit watching Heroes in the middle of the second season. Did Claire's powers give her immortality like they did for Adam Monroe? Either way, I'd take Adam's powers of being able to live for centuries and recover from any injury. I'd value the lengthy lifespan alone over flight, telekinesis or any of that other cool shit.
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Dread Not wrote: I quit watching Heroes in the middle of the second season. Did Claire's powers give her immortality like they did for Adam Monroe? Either way, I'd take Adam's powers of being able to live for centuries and recover from any injury. I'd value the lengthy lifespan alone over flight, telekinesis or any of that other cool shit.
I abandoned it at the end of the third season. It was obvious at that point that if the show wasn't going to improve after its decline that there was no hope of recovery (though, out of morbid curiosity, I did catch the tail end of the very last episode).

It's never made explicitly clear that Claire has Adam's longevity but it's heavily implied that she will never age. In the season three premiere Sylar, after analysing Claire's brain and acquiring her ability, outright says that she is incapable of dying. Overall, since there are virtually no differences between Adam and Claire in the regeneration department it's not unreasonable to assume that they have the exact same power.

I was referring to regeneration in general when I made that post. And you're absolutely right. It has greater long-term benefits than any of the other powers demonstrated in the show. With the others you can still come down with a debilitating illness, be injured or get killed. Time/space manipulation in particular has the definite downside of the user possibly contracting a brain tumour somewhere down the road.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Immortality is tempting, so is teleportation/time travel. Peter's ability to copy things is useless without more superhumans, or if everyone picks it. It would be pretty bitching to be able to fly, but not terribly subtle.

Realizing I never really watched Heroes, I'd be more likely to pick a subtle power, something like intellectual enhancement, quick learning, the Taskmaster powers, or telepathy. I think the real gem is Sylar's ability to figure out how everything works with just a quick examination. I'm planning on massacring people for power or anything, but you notice he was able to use other people's powers as soon as he figured out how they worked. To say nothing of the possibilities for science and personal growth.

Just to be sure, it isn't Sylar's powers that made him a psychopath, right?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Ahriman238 wrote:I'm planning on massacring people for power or anything, but you notice he was able to use other people's powers as soon as he figured out how they worked. To say nothing of the possibilities for science and personal growth.
You ARE planning to massacre people? Sylar's power wasn't examined enough for me to have it on my shopping list, plus the who madness thing.
Just to be sure, it isn't Sylar's powers that made him a psychopath, right?
That is the reason give with in the show.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

It was explicitly stated when Peter went to the future to acquire Sylar's power. Sylar asys something like "it's not just figuring out how things work, there's a hunger there as well."

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Not. I am NOT planning on massacring anyone. Ho hum, it would have been nice, but not at the cost of my sanity and morality.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Stofsk wrote:The OP should really disallow this, but basically the only choice is Peter's power for basically being a giant sponge. Assuming there are other 'powered' people running about who you can sponge off.

The biggest problem really is the issue of controlling your powers. Stuff like flying sounds great, until you fly into a building or a 747 comes out of nowhere and you go into the jet intake. Being a telepath might have the highest utility, but what if you can't switch it 'off'? I think it would suck if you were CONSTANTLY hearing people's surface thoughts all the damn time.

Claire's invulnerability and Hiro's time-hopping are probably the best from a practical standpoint. You could do all sorts of shit with the latter, and it appeals to me because you could literally just go anywhere and any time by closing your eyes and scrunching your face.

Man this thread has just reminded me of how lame Heroes was. Hey guys remember how in like the first episode or whatever Hiro's future self was this bad ass who was comfortable manipulating time and spoke english (and wielded a katana for... some reason)? Do you remember how Hiro's character for the next four years received absolutely NO development? Haha I can't believe I watched this show for as long as I did.
The first season was great. The characters interacted and slowly grew. The problem is they copied the same character issues and simply recycled them. How many times did Claire go through the same angst with her father? How many times did Hiro start learning to be a real Hero?

They recycled elements of the first season with new stories. And it grew old.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

that and the characters stayed incredibly stupid though out the seasons. No one ever figured out that as soon as the main characters meet up, near the end of the season, that all the problems are solved. But no one ever says "the worlds about to end, i should get in contact with Hero Peter, Nathan, and maybe Claire so that we could band together and fix the apocalypse. Season 3 and 4 would have ended after 3 episodes if people fucking talked to each other!