Sherlock Returns (BBC) (spoilers probable)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Sherlock Returns (BBC) (spoilers probable)

Post by Dartzap »

Anyone catch thislast night?

A Scandal in Belgravia was an excellent intro to the new series, loved all the nods towards the 'minor' cases of the Holmes lore (The Geek Interpreter had me laughing, anyway). At 90 mins it didnt feel overlong, and there was plenty that could have been missed in there if you were not paying attention. Really enjoy this version of Irene Adler, really made Holmes into her whipping boy.

The Hounds of Baskerville next week is the one I'm looking forward to the most.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Sherlock Returns (BBC) (spoilers probable)

Post by Crazedwraith »

I caught it. Was bored through out.

I don't why I just didn't find i engaged. Perhaps because the fact instead of an actual mystery and case. We're treated to the long drawn out hashing out of the relationship between Holmes and Addler and why do I even give a shit? The programme seems to take it for granted I'll find Addler awesome and amusing and sympathetic but I don't and I don't much care whether the dominatrix lady lives or dies or has her phone or not.

Plus last season the 'everyone thinks Holmes and Watson are gay' stuff was vaguely amusing and a least slightly subtle. This episode? Just stupid.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

I liked it a lot, especially how the entirety of Britain seems to be covertly run by four or five people who can't help but constantly text each other :). And frankly I don't see why you'd think the show "seems to take it for granted I'll find Addler awesome": if the character doesn't appeal to you personally that's fair enough, but they went to great lengths to show why Holmes is fascinated by her, extensively contrasting her with the other women in his life to do so.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Saw it and thought it excellent, certainly to the same standard as last series. I particularly liked that all those "cases" at the start that he dismisses are all relevant in their way.

Hounds of the Baskervilles should be very interesting.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Saw it and thought it excellent, certainly to the same standard as last series.
Depends on which part of the last series. Overall I'd call it third best - not as good as A Study in Pink or The Great Game (although certainly in their league), but better than The Blind Banker (which didn't seem to have quite the same zip to it). Hopefully, given the subject matter, there won't be that dip in the middle this time round (and Moffat and Gatiss may have chosen the most famous Holmes story of the lot as the middle episode specifically to prevent that).
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I was going with "same as the average of last series." The Blind Banker definitely didn't have the same zip though.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

Crazedwraith wrote:I don't why I just didn't find i engaged. Perhaps because the fact instead of an actual mystery and case.
Adler is the mystery.

Personally, I found this the best episode so far - A Study in Pink might be pretty close, but none of the others come near the intensity of this one.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I enjoyed it pretty much all the way through - I thought a couple of times that they were playing it a bit too much for laughs, but there were a shitload of good character scenes in there, most involving Mycroft - I'm very much enjoying Mycroft. I think I actually found Mycroft and Holmes more interesting than Holmes and Watson this time around. I did roll my eyes at the 'oh, all those cases at the start were totally related' scene, as I thought that was entirely ridiculous and a distinctly Moffat-in-doctor-who mode event. However, I was very pleased that he didn't DoctorWho his way out of the cliffhanger - I was expecting him to give a 30 second 'oh, I don't want to waste time on telling that story' flashback.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

I liked it more than the last season, actually. Mycroft seems a bit, not Mycroft at the moment though, Moriarty looks to be running rings around him, although he did imply that he is actually going to focus some attention on him now, so things may change. Quick question though. The woman who Adler had pick up Watson and take him to the meeting, was that Mycrofts lacky from the last series? Because Watson seemed to recognise her and he jumped straight to the Mycroft conclusion but I can't see a reason for her to be working for Adler.

Also, this is a link to Watsons hilariously terrible blog if you didn't already know about it. Read Sherlock be snarky, meet Harry, have a stab at who Anonumous is, read all the stories that were skipped!
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I'm really liking this reinterpretation of the character. I delayed in watching it, for the simple reason that I had forgotten the height of last season's cliffhanger. Others have already pointed out some of the fun moments, but Crazedwraith, to quote my favourite line from "To Live and Die in L.A.": your taste is in your ass.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Now this week was a lot better. An actual mystery that I wanted to find the resolution to.

Though there was one bit that slightly annoyed me. When talking with Henry Sherlock decides to send John on his own. Then instantly changes his mind and they both go. I know that was a reference to the original story but it really felt forced to me.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Sherlock said he'd stay in London so that Watson would show him where he'd hidden the cigarettes.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

I've seen the second episode now, and was a little disappointed with the ending. Perhaps it's just a case of being overly familiar with the original stories, but from the moment I saw the Spoiler
minefield
I knew that Spoiler
that was where the guilty party would go to die.
Going back to the first episode of this season, perhaps I missed something but I'm not 100% clear about. In the very beginning of the episode, when Spoiler
Moriarty, Holmes and Watson were having their Mexican standoff by the pool, and Moriarty took the phone call with the rather extreme set of reactions to it,
was it supposed to have been Spoiler
Adler on the phone, suggesting that she had information that would require Sherlock's help in decoding, and that Moriarty ought not kill him right away? I feel that I'm on solid ground in understanding that the whole "Bond Air" plot was Moriarty's handiwork, and that the reason the spooks were going to blow up the plane was to make Moriarty and his confederates believe that they had succeeded, while leaving open whatever avenue for detection allowed the government spies to find out about the plot in the first place. If this is true, then how would Adler have known the significance of the information that she had? Or was it just confirmation of its true significance?
With this not being my thread I don't want to muck it up with excessive spoilers. If my tags are excessive, I'll be glad to remove them.

Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

I liked this episode less, but then I wasn't a fan of the original story it was based on either. It was still a good episode, but not "best of the year" level.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I prefered this week's episode to last week's one:
Spoiler
I loved how the so-called "hound" was really the effects of a upgraded, weaponised batch of LSD, with the undomesticated dog and weird animal experiments at the Baskerville facility being a red herring.
Gatiss' scripting on Sherlock is more sure footed and entertaining than his mostly "meh" output on Doctor Who.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

I'm speechless at this episode. Moriarty was done brilliantly - true to the character, and yet innovative at the same time.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Well shit. That's all I can think of right now.

At the very end, I kept thinking "He's not dead, there's no way they'd kill of this series." But right at the end in the graveyard, I thought just maybe they had. And then you get that final moment, and it's a case of "WTF?"

evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

God, what a pile of shit this latest episode turned out to be. Moriarty was just as annoying and shit as he was the last time round, and had no motivation beyond 'is a dickhead'. The whole thing was a disjointed mess, even more so than the Adler episode. The Diogenes club was the only interesting thing in the entire episode, apart from that it was a massive pile of failure. The worst thing is that it had the potential to be actually good, which they totally squandered.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Well shit. That's all I can think of right now.

At the very end, I kept thinking "He's not dead, there's no way they'd kill of this series." But right at the end in the graveyard, I thought just maybe they had. And then you get that final moment, and it's a case of "WTF?"
Spoiler
You didn't figure out that he was using John to establish himself as being on the ledge and then switched bodies with Moriarty? I thought it was pretty obvious as they were doing it. That was the whole point of getting the Molly the ME in on the plan ahead of time.
Last edited by Coop D'etat on 2012-01-15 09:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Spoiler
I liked how Sherlock pompously belittling the Met's detectives and forensic people on a daily basis bit him on the ass.
I didn't really think much of this show's whiney, annoying Moriarty (John Simm's Master was also nuts, but it masked grim bitterness) however he likely made his money as one of the most dangerous and powerful criminals on the planet, playing Sherlock as a "fun" challange out of sheer boredom (Spoiler
stupidly shooting himself in the process
). I was impressed by Mark Gatiss' Mycroft Holmes, he was more disconcerting than he was last season (and also in comparison to Stephen Fry's more comical Mycroft).
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Coop D'etat wrote:

Spoiler
You didn't figure out that he was using John to establish himself as being on the ledge and then switched bodies with Moriarty? I thought it was pretty obvious as they were doing it. That was the whole point of getting the Molly the ME in on the plan ahead of time.
Well I thought that but didn't we actually see the face of the corpse that went splat and that it was clearly holmes?

Fuck the spoiler tags. We have warnings. Anyway while I'm glad Moriaty's key code was bullshit, how did he delete himself/create the actor idendity without it?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

It would not surprise me at all if Moriarty had several identities he could use for his criminal activities.

As for deleting himself, he used accomplices and bribery to do all the break-ins, I would think he used a similar method for removing himself.

SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Well I thought that but didn't we actually see the face of the corpse that went splat and that it was clearly holmes?
It looked as though Watson had just received a concussion, though, so he might have just been seeing what he expected to see at that moment. I also wouldn't put it past Holmes to have arranged for the man on the bicycle to knock Watson down at that moment, though having that precise effect would be a bit of a leap (pun intended).

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

SCRawl wrote: I also wouldn't put it past Holmes to have arranged for the man on the bicycle to knock Watson down at that moment, though having that precise effect would be a bit of a leap (pun intended).
Or Sherlock could be the cylcist.

What do you think of the successful movie series featuring Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes? I was surprised at how much of a unexpected success the first movie was and though A Game of Shadows was fun, veered a bit too much into Steampunk James Bond territory.

Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Coop D'etat wrote:

Spoiler

Fuck the spoiler tags. We have warnings. Anyway while I'm glad Moriaty's key code was bullshit, how did he delete himself/create the actor idendity without it?
I'd have to rewatch it to be sure but I remembered a dark-haired guy whose face was covered in blood from landing face first. Which could be either one.