Bob Anderson has died

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Bob Anderson has died

Post by Captain Seafort »

Beeb

RIP
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Re: Bob Anderson has died

Post by Shannon »

The man was a true Master, and from what I've read he really did put in a hell of a lot of effort into making the OT fights. IMHO, the OT lightsabre fight scenes still hold up very well, particularly the TESB fight. Each fight is a story in itself and each is completely appropriate to the combatants: 'Master vs Master', 'Master vs Apprentice' and 'Master vs Very Quick Learner' all appear (apart from some of the sillier moves like Obi-Wan's spin in ANH) to be just what I'd expect to see (having studied Kendo for 10 years now myself). The PT fights also seek to tell a story, and in some cases they do it well, but I think when it comes to showing the way masters fight, Anderson did it better - there is far more economy of movement, for example.
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age".
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

We've lost one of the unsung heroes of the OT. RIP Mr. Anderson.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

While I don't remember ever hearing that guy's name before now (I'm sure I have run across him before at some point or other, but we're talking 10 years on this forum alone) I do think he did damned good work. The fights in the OT might not have been as flashy or involving the various Force powers or conscious the fact that the only actual weight of a lightsabre is (apparently) in the hilt (hence Anakin effortlessly dual-wielding in II and III), but they still look damned good. Possibly because thanks to not involving much in the way of visible Force useage in the actual swordfighting parts, they actually looked like swordfights.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:While I don't remember ever hearing that guy's name before now (I'm sure I have run across him before at some point or other, but we're talking 10 years on this forum alone) I do think he did damned good work. The fights in the OT might not have been as flashy or involving the various Force powers or conscious the fact that the only actual weight of a lightsabre is (apparently) in the hilt (hence Anakin effortlessly dual-wielding in II and III), but they still look damned good. Possibly because thanks to not involving much in the way of visible Force useage in the actual swordfighting parts, they actually looked like swordfights.
You pretty much summed up why I prefer the fights of the OT over their prequel counterparts

Part of me wishes that Anderson had come back as the fight coordinator for the PT. While Nick Gillard did a good job, having Anderson might have ensured a tighter, visual continuity to the saber duels.
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

Agreed. As he was an Olympic fencer himself, I would have particularly loved to have seen Anderson's interpretation of Dooku, as Makashi is (according to its canon description in the AOTC novelisation) supposed to be tightly controlled single-line fencing with a lightsabre.

And I can't help wondering what he would've done with Yoda, Windu and Sidious.

Ah, well. RIP, Mr Anderson.
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age".
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Interestingly, he also worked on Lord of the Rings, which probably explain why I love the swordfights there too.

I hate to imagine how he might have winced at the Geonosis arena lightsabre fight.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner