Sci-Fi Label Help

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Sci-Fi Label Help

Post by Rekkon »

In preparation for an Aliens-themed airsoft event I will be co-organizing, I am creating a self-destruct prop the Marine players will have to activate before their escape from a derelict starship. The idea is to provide an involved process, inspired by what Ripley did on the Nostromo. At the center of the prop will be a “core systems control panel” with a bunch of switches that must be configured properly to “arm” the self-destruct. Since I am details obsessive, I would like these switches to be labeled “realistically.” I want the panel to look like something that you might have to use if the ship was badly damaged or suffered a computer failure, etc. After poking around the internet to see what technical information I could find on the Nostromo and Sulaco, these are the label ideas I have so far, divided into three rough categories as the panel size dictates three rows of fives switches:

Power and Propulsion
• Tritium Injection
• Lithium Hydride Feed (Fuel)
• Sublight Engines
• Tachyon Shunt (FTL drive)
• Auxiliary Turbines (Backup power)

Cooling Unit
• Coolant Pumps
• Heat Exchangers
• Coolant Purge
• ECCS (Emergency Core Cooling System)
• Plasma Vent

Safety Override
• Safety Interlocks
• Torus Overpressure
• Coolant Overheat
• Automatic SCRAM
• Auxiliary Containment

Basically I am looking for any suggestions to improve these labels. I want the starting configuration of the switches to represent “normal operation,” with some on and some off. Following instructions, the players will have to turn some systems on, turn some off and leave some as they are. When they are finished a “self destruct armed” light will illuminate, allowing them to perform the final tasks to start the countdown.
VarrusTheEthical
Padawan Learner

Re: Sci-Fi Label Help

Post by VarrusTheEthical »

All those labels seem pretty good, in my opinion. Though perhaps for flavor-text, instead of having the players activate discrete "self-destruct" system, the players instead have to basically sabotage the ship in order to destroy it.

Let's say that the Aliens, being the clever critters they are, disable the ships actual self-destruct system. Therefore, the players would be forced to fight their way through different parts of the "ship", deactivating safeties and cooling systems while also setting the ship's power generation systems to overload.

So say the first area the players enter would be the ships "bridge" where they would have to deactivate the ship's safety systems in order to begin the overload process. Then, they have to proceed somewhat further into the ship to get to the cooling unit, where they disable to cooling systems. Finally, the players would then go to the engine room, where they begin the final process of setting up the ship to destroy itself. There, they would first start by setting all the ship's systems to overload, which will destroy the ship now that there's no cooling system or safeties active. For added fun, the players would have to hold the engine room for a period of time while the ships system builds up to "critical mass". After this is reached, the players press a button and then run like hell for the exit before the ship explodes.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I would also suggest something, anything relating to artificial gravity. There are few things as fun as suddenly having the floor turn wall on you while being hunted by aliens who don't need time to adjust.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

I like that idea Varrus, but the parts for the self-destruct have already been purchased. The Marines will have to fight their way to a hangar bay after they activate it, then hold out until they can be extracted. Before that they will be searching the ship for survivors and uncovering plot clues if they are paying attention.

Good catch Purple. And zero-G airsoft would be awesome.
VarrusTheEthical
Padawan Learner

Post by VarrusTheEthical »

Rekkon wrote:I like that idea Varrus, but the parts for the self-destruct have already been purchased. The Marines will have to fight their way to a hangar bay after they activate it, then hold out until they can be extracted. Before that they will be searching the ship for survivors and uncovering plot clues if they are paying attention.

Good catch Purple. And zero-G airsoft would be awesome.
Understood. The fact that you're doing an alien themed airsoft just kind of sets my imagination to overdrive.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Stark wrote:That'd be a neat trick for an airsoft event, don't you think?
Fuck, sorry. I read aliens and labels and stuff and it was 4AM and I just connected to D&D. Shame on me. :banghead:
Feel free to point and laugh at my idiocy.

This said, zero G aerosoft would be awesome. But it's sadly beyond our abilities.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Actually, if you constructed the course in a giant version of the spinning hallway prop used in Inception you could get damn close, by changing the direction of gravity quite rapidly.

Not that anyone has the money for that.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Oh I understand, Varrus. I have many pages of brainstorming for this from silly string "acid splashes" to plush facehuggers to small programmable speakers to simulate motion trackers. We can always use your idea if we run the event again next year. I would love to mess with the players by letting them find a trashed, non-functional control room ("Now what the fuck are we supposed to do?"). Or perhaps the company rep refuses to give them the self-destruct code ("This starship has a substantial dollar value attached to it.").