Star Wars Galaxy: Now?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Star Wars Galaxy: Now?

Post by Gurgeh »

So since SW takes place a Long, long time ago what do you think the galaxy might be now? What do you think might have changed? Does anyone know anything about what happens to SW as of now in the current timeline?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Star Wars Galaxy: Now?

Post by Batman »

I'll assume by 'now' you mean real world now, to which the answer is who knows? Given that the 'long time ago' was never ever actually quantified (yeah, that came as a shock) it's completely impossible to figure out when 'a long time ago' was. In-universe now is amply (if unsatisfactorily) documented by the EU.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

IIRC Artoo is supposed to tell the story of the Skywalkers to the Keeper of the whills in 105 ABY, which is fifteen years before Legacy, so the Galaxy is probably pretty stable under the control of the Galactic Alliance, with a small segment under the remnant's control.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

First of all, it is "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...".

Second, if a "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...". is the time from the current EU back to ANH, which is 100 something plus years, I'll eat my shorts.

I say 50,000 years at LEAST past everything we know about anything Star Wars. Yes it's arbitrary, but it's about as far back as the known history goes and I like things to have symmetry.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

According to some, 1974 lines up with about 10,300 ABY

And R2-D2 made it past Legacy times apparently (shrugs)

This is all from the old 'Time Tales' timeline, so I have no idea how canonical it really is.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Has there been any books\comic\stories\etc.. of the SW galaxy in our modern time? In other words, the far future for them but in our real world time?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

At least the whole thing having happened 50,000 years ago in-universe would explain why the Star Wars universe is inconsistent as hell. :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well, as the SW galaxy is a large (MW-scale or bigger) spiral galaxy, it's going to be at least 3 million light-years away, most probably a lot more. So any signal we recieved (for instance, news footage of the Battle of Yavin) would be three or more million years old.

With that kind of time-lag how their date system alligns with ours is irrelevant anyway.

As a hypothetical scenario, let us suppose that the SW galaxy is fifty million light-years away, one of the galaxies in the Ursa Major Group (give or take a few million ly) and their news report about the Battle of Yavin (0 BBY/ABY) reached Earth in 1975 or so (to inspire George Lucas).

What is the SW galaxy like now? Well, it's fifty million years older, so the even if humans aren't extinct they will have evolved and mutated and look very different to how they do in the films. A an average star will be about 1/4 further around in it's galactic orbit, so the galactic maps will look very different and hyperlanes etc will have changed drastically.

All of galactic history seen in the EU will be truly ancient. The entire time-span of observed history (25,000 years) has happenned 2000 times. I wouldn't be surprised if formerly great worlds like Coruscant, Kuat and Corellia are no longer inhabited or seen as important.

In other words, it would be a totally different galaxy, perhaps with some species that look vaguely like what turns up in the films, and maybe with similar technology (hyperdrives might still be around for instance, but fifty million years leaves a lot of room for development.)

You might ask why couldn't it be Andromeda, but Andromeda contains a trillion stars (according to 2006 data fromt he Spitzer telescope), and we have EU passages saying "400 billion suns." Which means it's MW-sized, and there's nothing else that size in the Local Group. The closest other group is the M81 group, at 11 million light years. If it's a galaxy in that group, the situation I described will be much the same, just with timescales reduced by a factor or 5 or so.

tl;dr version: The SW galaxy is so far away that seeing it "now" would be a totally different galaxy and civilisation.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

YEAY FOR NERDS, MATH AND SCIENCE!! :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

^What he said :D

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I realised this morning that the SW galaxy "now" might be even more different than I speculated.

There is a passge in one of the NJO books, during the search for Zonama Sekot, where Danni Quee explains why hyperspace travel is so difficult in the Unknown Regions, saying that it may be the result of a collision of interaction with a "dark matter galaxy."

If that process was ongoing (and I can't see why it wouldn't be) then after 11-50 million years it's possible the dark matter galaxy completely mergedwith the SW galaxy, rendering hyperspace travel virtually impossible over long distances. Galactic civilisation will be very different if this is the case.

On the matter of where the SW galaxy is, this image shows the nearby galaxy groups. Since the SW galaxy can't be within the Local Group, the closest it can be is the M81 group. If not there, it's the M101 group at 24 MLy, or the M51 group at 31 MLy.

In fact, I can say that it isn't in the M81 group, as the SW galaxy is known to have seven dwarf satellite galaxies, and no MW-sized galaxy in the M81 group has that number of satellites. (I don't think any in the M101 or M52 groups do either, pushing the SW galaxy further and further away.)

Suffice to say, if we saw that galaxy "now" it wouldn't even be the SW galaxy anymore. Stars and worlds will be in different places and all the history we see in the EU and films will be long forgotten.

Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

^ That implies that we should factor in Lucas's creation of the series at all, and that we should assume he did it through simple radio waves etc rather than say, a UFO with a recording on it or something.

Then again I personally feel that "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away" should NEVER be quantified.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

My lengthy post was meant to illustrate that the idea of asking what the Sw galaxy is like "now" is pointless. I know it's based on the assumption thatLucas based it on a signal received, but I think it illustrates the point nicely enough.

Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Enigma wrote:Has there been any books\comic\stories\etc.. of the SW galaxy in our modern time? In other words, the far future for them but in our real world time?
There was a non-cannon Star Wars: Tales story. Which had Han and Chewie leaving the galaxy and the Falcon getting shot to Earth. Presumably Chewbacca lived a while on Earth after the Falcon crashed and Han had died because of it. Chewie then saw Indiana Jones who happened to be searching the Falcon for Mayan gold or what have you
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Tychu wrote:
Enigma wrote:Has there been any books\comic\stories\etc.. of the SW galaxy in our modern time? In other words, the far future for them but in our real world time?
There was a non-cannon Star Wars: Tales story. Which had Han and Chewie leaving the galaxy and the Falcon getting shot to Earth. Presumably Chewbacca lived a while on Earth after the Falcon crashed and Han had died because of it. Chewie then saw Indiana Jones who happened to be searching the Falcon for Mayan gold or what have you

I remember that one... the Falcon crashed in the Pacific Northwest, and a grieving Chewie took to the forests (where he became the basis of the legend of Bigfoot). Indy and Short Round were searching out the native legends and found the Falcon. Indy found Han's skeleton and made a comment about him seeming 'familiar, somehow' before leaving.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

The movie: E.T.
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

The Cooler King wrote:
Tychu wrote:

I remember that one... the Falcon crashed in the Pacific Northwest, and a grieving Chewie took to the forests (where he became the basis of the legend of Bigfoot). Indy and Short Round were searching out the native legends and found the Falcon. Indy found Han's skeleton and made a comment about him seeming 'familiar, somehow' before leaving.
By that calendar, right now on Earth is roughly 250 years or so after the Battle of Yavin. I'm curious as to how the situation at the end of Legacy turned out...
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

General Mung Beans wrote:
The Cooler King wrote: I remember that one... the Falcon crashed in the Pacific Northwest, and a grieving Chewie took to the forests (where he became the basis of the legend of Bigfoot). Indy and Short Round were searching out the native legends and found the Falcon. Indy found Han's skeleton and made a comment about him seeming 'familiar, somehow' before leaving.
By that calendar, right now on Earth is roughly 250 years or so after the Battle of Yavin. I'm curious as to how the situation at the end of Legacy turned out...
Well if you want to get technical, it would be an alternative star wars timeline. Since Chewie died in the prime star wars timeline. The Earth we see in that alternative star wars timeline may or not be our Earth. I could go deeper but then it will get Star Treky which will lead to someone or myself proving that Star Wars is in fact in the same universe as Star Trek and then we'll have a paradox and somehow Back to the Future will also be in that universe and.......
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean