Were the massacres turkey carried out in 1876 genocide

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Were the massacres turkey carried out in 1876 genocide

Post by Darth Yan »

I've heard people saying that the massacres turkey carried out in the 1870s were genocide. How valid is this claim?
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Were the massacres turkey carried out in 1876 genocide

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I assume you are referring to the killing of ethnic Bulgars by Ottoman forces during the April Uprising?

It is a stretch to call this a genocide, at least under the traditional definition of such. The massacres at Batak and other locations were certainly crimes against humanity (and attracted widespread condemnation by other European powers at the time). However, the killings were largely perpetrated by irregulars (the infamously undisciplined bashi-bazouk), many of whom would have been Pomaks or other Slavic Muslims. Not that the Ottomans are absolved of culpability, but what killings did occur were largely a result of local rivalries/disputes/jealousies (Bulgaria has a host of different tribes and ethnic groups, many of whom share mutual hatreds). There doesn't seem to me to be much evidence of a systematic attempt to wipe out the Bulgarians, "only" an excessively brutal suppression of a revolt.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

On the other hand, the annihilation of around a million European Muslims of various ethnicities in the wake of the Russo-Turkish War that followed was definitely ethnic cleansing.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:On the other hand, the annihilation of around a million European Muslims of various ethnicities in the wake of the Russo-Turkish War that followed was definitely ethnic cleansing.
Are you referring to the Circassian War?
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

No the 1877-78 war, though a million killed is an exaggeration. That many people were displaced but many were just forced to flee death into Turkey. This including what may have been an actual majority of the population of Bulgaria; though Bulgaria was larger then then it is now. Everyone was very fond of having the chance to all but shut the Turks back into Asia Minor, by any and all means possible. If the British and French had not intervened its likely that Constantinople would have been put to the torch and sword; which is of course precisely why they decided not to allow that to happen. It would have meant the collapse of the Ottoman and who knows; its possible the Russians and allies wouldn't have stopped at controlling the Bosporus.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956