In Memoriam: Setzer

To Absent Friends • Requiescat in Pace

Moderator: Moderators

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Setzer has died

Post by PeZook »

Rogue 11 wrote:I know full well rationally that this isn't my fault. I knew even as I tried to get contact with him when I got the note that I was unlikely at best to succeed, but I had to try even so. That was both rationally and emotionally the right thing to do. They certainly couldn't make things worse.

Emotionally there are parts of me that insist there must have been SOMETHING I could have done. I still can't find anything. Been going over what was said/done in recent history all day. And I honestly can't find anything I could have done differently. I still can't find any signs that it was that bad now. And only perfect knowledge of what he was about to do would have had me focus to talk him out of it.

I don't know if that is worse or better than having screwed up. On one hand it frees me from any culpability. That I could just about do nothing in this case. On the other it means that I was utterly powerless to deal with this. That it was essentially being tied to the tracks in front of a fully loaded express train with no way out.

I have sent an email with condolences to his family. I wonder if I should send to the other parent as well given that IIRC parents were divorced, but I can't just copy/paste what I wrote the first time and writing one took a lot out of me.
You probably shouldn't try to valuate your actions in terms of "better" or "worse". You reacted and tried, which is actually commendable. I actually know how it will go now: you will go over and over the matter for a good long while, before you come to terms with it. Either way, it's rare for people to actually spot the "warning signs" for suicide even if they know the person intimately ; Don't beat yourself up that you couldn't do so.

It's good that you speak your mind about it, even to complete strangers, and I for one ain't gonna judge you for rambling about the matter on a forum. Putting emotions in writing or speech helps immensely, and is way healthier than getting smashed in order to forget.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Janos
Redshirt

Post by Janos »

My condolences to everybody who knew him, I remember him as a nice guy. :(
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

to be honest, I'm not sure you could beat " don't do it, more to follow."

any actual argument he'd have already have crush with an irrational worldview, but curisoity...

you weren't saying to stop it, just to hang on a few more minutes (increasing the chance of someone in an actual position to stop him finding him and grabbing the gun out of his silly hands) - that was the best thing you could have done in the situation. remember that.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I know I should say something, but I am really having a hard time figuring out what, save to say that Setzer was a good guy, and that he will be missed.

If anyone who knew him well needs to talk, I am available.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Dammit. He will be missed, I wish I knew more about him and that he had problems like this.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I am sorry to hear this
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

...fuck.

Him and me used to talk a lot regularly several years ago; back during the DrakaFic days; but we sort of grew apart, though he infrequently talked with me; and I knew a bit of his problems.

I used to see him popping up on my AIM list every so often, and I thought about talking with him, but couldn't really think of anything to say or talk about -- so I didn't AIM him. And now he's dead. :(

Fuck.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

I, too, knew him, haven't talked recently, and now... :(

Goodbye, Setzer.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

Havok wrote:I don't know what cheering up I can offer, but pretty much anything about being alive is better than being dead. I know people with sever depression can't always think that way, but maybe just the thought may help.

Sorry to hear about Setzer. He seemed like a good guy from what I can remember of his posts.
I can only describe what I've gone through.

When I was feeling suicidal, there's a very real sense of a sort of pain that I can't describe to someone who hasn't gone through it. The closest thing I can think of is the sort of feeling you have when a close friend dies, but that still doesn't cross the line. It's like the difference between a momentary fright and the paralyzing, seemingly unending horror of a night terror. Suicide might not be a more logical option than some other solution, but wanting out of the pain is certainly logical. Living under such conditions is not in any way an enjoyable experience, it's a form of torture that few people are going to sympathize with. Which is not going to help.

Illogic is often a part of the cause, and can hamper attempts at finding a real solution. But at the end, it's about ending pain.
Rogue 11 wrote:I know full well rationally that this isn't my fault. I knew even as I tried to get contact with him when I got the note that I was unlikely at best to succeed, but I had to try even so. That was both rationally and emotionally the right thing to do. They certainly couldn't make things worse.
Without knowing what is really - as in, chemically - wrong, it is really hard to know what to do. If Setzer had my issue (which from descriptions, I doubt), a last-minute intervention may have just as much a chance of aggravating the problem as it does of temporarily resolving it. You are often dealing with someone to whom two plus two no longer equals four and unless you know what their answer is at the moment, it's hard to address head-on.

If someone seriously threatened suicide, my first response would be 'Talk to me, please.' and leave my phone number if I wasn't calling them already. Probably slightly more personal.

But I would avoid referencing their planned attempt as much as possible, and try to derail their current train of thought as fast as possible. Then again, there are probably cases where telling them not to is the better solution. It's really hard to say and, as Setzer's friend, you are more qualified by virtue of knowing him, by default.

Any sort of resolution is a tall order over e-mail, however.

In any case, you and everyone Setzer knew have my condolences, as does Setzer himself.
Give fire to a man, and he will be warm for a day.
Set him on fire, and he will be warm for life.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Damnit. I'm never, never going to forget that STGOD where he was a new guy and he intervened in Queen Halite's invasion of the Milky Way with millions of warships powered by FTL "Lumina Drive" of his own devising and I think it was Strowbridge--or someone of that age--who made the crack "Lumina drive is FTL? My Lumina can't even make 65!". Damnit, but he took it well and he played his hand well, and he later on proved not just a nice gamer but a decent person here with evolving and very mature attitudes. Losing him is losing a part of the good in the world.
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

My condolences to his family. :(
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

RIP Setzer and sincere condolences to friends and family. :(
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

My condolences to his friends and family. I barely knew him, but I liked him. I wish I could say more than that.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Damn. I never realized that he was suffering from depression. I always remember his contributions as positive.

He'll be missed. My condolences to his friends and family.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Lisa
Jedi Knight

Post by Lisa »

R.I.P.
May you live in interesting times.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Rogue 11 wrote:And of course I feel a bit guilty how this rant seem to focus on me instead of him.
He is beyond hurt.

You, on the other hand, ARE hurting.

Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. If venting here makes you feel better than do so.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

His occasional "Good News About" threads helped to offset the mostly-grim atmosphere of News and Politics. Those will be missed, definitely...

Rest in peace. :(
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

I can't say that I knew him, but after reading this thread, I can say that I wish I had while I still had the chance.

My condolences to you, Rogue, Norseman.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

:cry:

His last post (from the superman eating pluto thread) made me literally lol. He will be missed by at least one person who never actually knew him.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Tritio
Padawan Learner

Post by Tritio »

My condolences to his friends and family. Rest in peace, Setzer.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Dragon Angel wrote:His occasional "Good News About" threads helped to offset the mostly-grim atmosphere of News and Politics. Those will be missed, definitely...

Rest in peace. :(

would it be inappropriate to continue those in the same format?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

I would be disappointed if somebody didn't. It seems fitting to remember him by talking about good news in the world.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Aw, hell... I liked Setzer. He was a good person to have around in a conversation here, and you knew he wouldn't go off the rails about things. Smart & articulate.

Crap, I wish I'd known him better. What little I did know him, he seemed like an all-round good guy.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Rogue 11
Padawan Learner

Post by Rogue 11 »

Setzer's funeral was today.

I've been in touch with his parents. Talking to them has helped a lot, especially a long phone conversation yesterday. Before that for all the week there was this dark, heavy weight resting on my brain making it even harder than normal to think. That has thankfully lifted now.

I really can't think of anything else to say. He was a good friend, especially in a period where I really needed good friends. I will miss him. I'll keep his memory alive as long as my own mind holds up.

And if there does turn out to be an afterlife against all odds I'll probably kick his ass for doing this when I get there in the distant future.