News for Star Trek 12/2.

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

News for Star Trek 12/2.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.movieweb.com/news/benicio-de ... tar-trek-2
Benicio Del Toro Wanted for Star Trek 2

Benicio del Toro may play the Star Trek 2 villain
Director J.J. Abrams has decided on actor Benicio Del Toro to play the new villain in Star Trek 2. A formal offer has not been made to the actor, although it is believed Paramount will issue the offer as early as this weekend.

Character details for this mysterious villain are being kept under wraps. It is said that Benicio Del Toro has met with J.J. Abrams to discuss the role, but even he wasn't given any details about the character.

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Trek 2 from a screenplay by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindelof. Production is scheduled to start in early 2012.

Star Trek cast members Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, and Anton Yelchin are expected to return in Star Trek 2.

Star Trek 2 comes to theaters in 2012 and stars Zoe Saldana, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, John Cho.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: News for Star Trek 12/2.

Post by Purple »

Now we know what that guy that can't tell us what he is working on is working on.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Khan Noonien Singh, one of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Who says he's going to play Kahn?
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Who says he's going to play Kahn?
He's right in the middle of a fucking Gorn zoo, and somebody was giving booze to those goddamn things. Won't be long now before they tear him to shreds...
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

So 2012 is when the film is expected to come out. That's next year. And shooting hasn't even commenced yet, because they're still finalising the cast details. How long between principal shooting gets wrapped up and release does a film need to spend in post-production? Or is pre-production the lengthy part of filming?

Of course it also depends when in 2012 they want to release the film. For all we know it could be the end of the year, meaning this film is still 12 months away. But I don't really know how this stuff works to be honest.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Stofsk wrote:So 2012 is when the film is expected to come out. That's next year. And shooting hasn't even commenced yet, because they're still finalising the cast details. How long between principal shooting gets wrapped up and release does a film need to spend in post-production? Or is pre-production the lengthy part of filming?

Of course it also depends when in 2012 they want to release the film. For all we know it could be the end of the year, meaning this film is still 12 months away. But I don't really know how this stuff works to be honest.
Depending on how heavy the special effects are, post-production could take a while. Mostly it's a matter of editing things together right, then adding the polished details. Pre-Production might take a long time because lining up money is the main issue, as well as finding a script you like. There's no doubt hundreds of script ideas floating around, but hammering those out take some time. Plus, what if the main actors have other film commitments? That has to be taken into account. In the case of Star Trek, great care must be taken to keep from once more dooming the franchise. If they go about it wrong and the sequel bombs, then Paramount might decide that Star Trek (2009) was a one-hit wonder and shut the franchise down for good.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Basically what I'm getting at is this: does anyone else feel like this is being rushed? Because this is a ST film, it's going to be effects-heavy. They'll want to release the film at a certain date to maximise the profits; which usually means summer doesn't it? Or maybe xmas I guess. And they haven't even started principal photography yet because they haven't got the main villain cast.

Or am I just overreacting or betraying my general ignorance of the film industry here?
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Er, last I heard, they had already decided to slip the 2012 release and were probably going to be releasing in 2013.

EDIT: Here's the article I'd seen that in...
Abrams has just returned from vacation and is hunkering down with writers Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof to work on the Trek script and beginning prep for a Trek sequel that will likely begin production in January and either be dated for release for the fourth quarter of 2012 or summer 2013.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Why do I get the feeling that Del Toro will play a Klingon character?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Enigma wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Del Toro will play a Klingon character?
I'd prefer this to Khan. Re-treading on ground covered by "Wrath of Khan" seems like a bad move at this stage in the game. Frankly, I could only see going back there if a TV series developed around the reboot continuity. Then you could do something unique with Khan, as you have more time than two hours (make him a recurring villain or something).
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I do like the fact that the article lists the actors invovled in ST 2009, saying they are expected to return in 2, and then in the next paragraph say the film comes out next year and will be starring them.

Somebody didn't proof-read that methinks.

And yes, Klingons would be preferable to Khan, but only if we can have proper TOS/TUC Klingons, not TNG/DS9 Klingons.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

What about a mix of the two, or something completely different? This is another timeline- it doesn't have to exactly follow a previous depiction of the Klingons as long as it keeps some basic similarities.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

TOS style klingons were merely Soviets in Space. They didn't get much development as anything beyond that. I don't really get why people have this hard on for them over TNG style when all the latter did was flesh them out and give them a unique culture.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think a lot of it stems from their foolish use of blade weapons against guns. That doesn't make one look smart.

Though this tendency may be exaggerated at times. In Way of the Warrior from DS9 for example, a lot of the borders also had guns, and used them effectively against station security.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Well, it'd make a nice contrast to the usual image of Klingons as boisterous brawlers--I liked how they were depicted in that deleted scene from the 2009 movie, in leather Red Army jackets and gravelly voices with not a bat'leth in sight.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Didn't they also wear helmets? Like proper soldiers?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It's not so much a hard-on for TOS Klingons as preferring them to TNG Klingons. If nothing else, in this new timeline the Klingons are essentially a tabula rasa and I woudl like to see them based upon the Klingons from The Undiscovered Country.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Didn't they also wear helmets? Like proper soldiers?
That's right. And they carried around huge freakin' guns. :)
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

They lose some coolness though for letting Nero escape them and wipe out dozens of their ships.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

You don't even know what went down there. For all you know, the screenplay could open with an exposition on Nero's escape, leading to the disgrace of the prison commander(Del Torro), and his quest for vengeance against the man who denied him his quarry; Captain James T. Pants.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yes, we don't know. Still, its a bit odd that the Klingons suffered about six or seven times the number of lost ships as the Federation.

On the plus side, though, as far as we know they didn't lose a planet.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:It's not so much a hard-on for TOS Klingons as preferring them to TNG Klingons. If nothing else, in this new timeline the Klingons are essentially a tabula rasa and I woudl like to see them based upon the Klingons from The Undiscovered Country.
IIRC, the TOS Klingons differed not just in terms of facial appearance, but culture as well. Apparently, at some point between TOS and TNG, the Klingon Empire underwent a sort of cultural revolution. Their emphasis shifted from being cultured warriors to focusing strictly on being warriors. Again, because the TOS Klingons were basically Soviets, they weren't afraid of using underhanded tactics. Somewhere, they decided this didn't sit too well with their self-image of being honorable warriors, and things just spiraled out of hand. Part of it may have been due to the almost religious viewing of Khaless and his achievements or it might simply have been a reaction to how the end of the Cold War with the Federation ended. Worf called the expansion of the Empire into the Cardassian Union a sign they were returning to the "Old Ways", which may have referred to the belief that Klingons were conquerors and should fight. The Klingons of Undiscovered Country acted more like samurai, warriors who believed in honor but didn't make it the focal point of every activity. They were cultured and disciplined, rather than the drunken, barbaric nature some Klingons were seen with in TNG and DS9. Granted, not all are this way, as we see Gowron and Martok behaving as disciplined men rather than the brash younger Klingons, but that might also be simply maturity.

The Klingons are hard to sum up in simple terms. Their culture is rich and diverse, with many facets, which is definitely a good thing. Worf is a good example of how a Klingon is bound by his honor but also has strong emotions and isn't afraid to let them out every now and then. Gowron shows us that while Klingons may prefer war, they are also capable of being diplomats. Martok is a warrior and a general, who knows that wars aren't always honorable but are still necessary. The Klingons such as Chang and the Duras sisters show that Klingons will sometimes sacrifice honor for their goals, which adds an added depth to them. Knowing that a Klingon will act honorably is one thing, knowing they may also act dishonorably and betray you, that makes you even more leery of them. Befriend a Klingon and they'll give their life for you, but some you just can't trust until you know them better. I honestly don't mind what era they are, if you take their entire history into context when you look at them. Are they doing something because they feel it will bring them honor? Or are they fueled by other goals that may be less than honorable? It's hard to tell, which isn't all that bad.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Srelex wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Didn't they also wear helmets? Like proper soldiers?
That's right. And they carried around huge freakin' guns. :)
Here (can't embed).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Interesting glimpse of the Klingons indeed. I kind of hope we see more of them in this reality.