New Redletter Media video about Lucas

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Re: New Redletter Media video about Lucas

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Wait a minute... so a single throw-away line by me, back on page three, regarding the possibility of Naboo being self-sufficient as a planet now qualifies as ample evidence that someone's making multiple claims about hunting wildlife for survival? Hey, I have no problem conceding that Naboo would be ruined with a full trade blockade/invasion... if it were actually shown. But it wasn't, thus whether they're hunting wildlife to survive, or breaking out the emergency stores of MRE's, the movie shows that the blockade and invasion did absolutely nothing to Naboo other than make the Gungans a little restless and give us a bunch of comic-relief matchstick-robots to shoot at.

Hey Elfie-poo, when you actually have a valid point to make rather than knee-jerk prequationist-spasms, get back to me. Until then you can sentence-by-sentence my posts all you want, it doesn't make you any more coherent or any less wrong.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

I know Wookiepedia is a bordello of lies but as far as the Trade Dudes being Asian

teh dudes
Much as Imperial officers were given British accents, Silas Carson, who portrayed Nute Gunray in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, was asked to imitate a Thai accent when looping his dialog for the movie.[10]
The link they cite doesn't work anymore (conspiracy) so here's another with another cited reference

My problem with the cartoon rabbits are they don't talk like respectable warriors but babies out of a Disney movie.

Implications of racism in the film are a little problematic to say the least. Hollywood is pretty bad at this so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt there was no malice intended.

But when some of the first words out of Jar Jar's mouth are, "Messa called Jar Jar Binks! Messa your humble servant! (Liam Neeson doesn't care) Oh but it is! It is demanded by the GODS it is!"

Maybe it's time for a rewrite :v
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Why give so many aliens in the PT broken accents though? In the OT they either spoke English with standard accents or their own language, why break what didn't need a'fixin'? If they had spoken in broken English, as in they had actual difficulties to communicate with other characters in Basic, it would have been more acceptable than "Alien race X talks English in a pointlessly irritating way". It makes me even wonder if people like the Gungans or the Neimodians have a native language of their own.

How about this alternative: Gungans have little contact with the outside world making a member of them speaking at least a few broken sentences of Basic something out of the normal and you instantly have something defining for Jar Jar's character. Another obvious route not taken. Another near-miss caused by awful writing and lack of thought.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

That's actually giving me another idea:

Make the Neimodian leadership only talk in their own language, forcing people who wish to negotiate with them to either learn their language or use a protocol droid. Make it also that Neimodian is an incredibly intricate language allowing for all sorts of truth-bending shenanigans. Qui-Gon is said to be a far-travelled man in various sources, why not make his experience with alien cultures and customs the reason why he's chosen to do this particular mission? It would paint Gunray as a more assertive schemer and yet as a petty buffoon easily taken advantage of by stronger-minded people and give a reason for why Qui-Gon is such a peculiar, non-conformist Jedi (although I still think that should have better been Obi-wan's role).
The plot writes itself, guys!
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

I found the actual page with the quote from Silas Carson.

On web archive
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:
Who says they're Asian? Is this what's got your panties in a bunch about the movie? :lol:
Are you deaf? Just curious because if your could hear you'd know the difference between an asian accent and a c. european accent. But please go on, this is helping to explain a lot about your position.
Gunray sounded to me like someone imitating Bela Lugosi and Haako sounded like someone doing a Peter Lorre impression. Last time I checked, neither Lugosi nor Lorre was Asian, though both were from central Europe. Not that it matters one way or the other.
Bakustra wrote:Ah, yes, Peter Lorre, best-known for his role as a patsy of the real villain in Fritz Lang's M., or his role as a patsy Nazi junior officer in Casablanca, or the well-known villainous patsy Conseil in Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, or to bring it back to Asian caricatures, the nefarious and villainous, (but still amazingly a patsy despite being a starring role) Mr. Moto.

The only major role he had that arguably fits the term "patsy" is Joel Cairo in The Maltese Falcon.
Your point?
PS: If the Trade Federation had a tenth of the ability that was put into M. and it's "villain" put towards them, The Phantom Menace would not have the reputation it does. Hell, if the Trade Fed had the ability that Lorre put into his Roger Corman roles, then TPM would also not have the reputation it does.
Now this is truly funny: Stoklasshole's fluffers are upset because I call them retards, then one of them confuses the ability of fictional characters in one movie (the Trade Federation in TPM) with the ability of an actor portraying a character in another movie (Peter Lorre in M). To call someone this stupid a retard is actually a compliment.
Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Hey Elfie-poo, when you actually have a valid point to make rather than knee-jerk prequationist-spasms, get back to me. Until then you can sentence-by-sentence my posts all you want, it doesn't make you any more coherent or any less wrong.
Giving up already? Concession accepted.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Elfdart wrote:
Bakustra wrote:Ah, yes, Peter Lorre, best-known for his role as a patsy of the real villain in Fritz Lang's M., or his role as a patsy Nazi junior officer in Casablanca, or the well-known villainous patsy Conseil in Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, or to bring it back to Asian caricatures, the nefarious and villainous, (but still amazingly a patsy despite being a starring role) Mr. Moto.

The only major role he had that arguably fits the term "patsy" is Joel Cairo in The Maltese Falcon.
Your point?
That you're wrong, and willing to throw anything too insulting down the memory hole. Your entire argument about how the Trade Federation need no depth of any sort is based on this comparison, and it is a faulty one. You undermine yourself without even realizing it, but since you listen to a third-rate Hunter S. Thompson knockoff, that's unsurprising. But on another level, ordinary human beings, who have not succumbed to the siren call of a pipe-collector in Uruguay, seek to correct themselves when they say something that's wrong. Your mentor has taught you well, though.
PS: If the Trade Federation had a tenth of the ability that was put into M. and it's "villain" put towards them, The Phantom Menace would not have the reputation it does. Hell, if the Trade Fed had the ability that Lorre put into his Roger Corman roles, then TPM would also not have the reputation it does.
Now this is truly funny: Stoklasshole's fluffers are upset because I call them retards, then one of them confuses the ability of fictional characters in one movie (the Trade Federation in TPM) with the ability of an actor portraying a character in another movie (Peter Lorre in M). To call someone this stupid a retard is actually a compliment.
Now, I realize that being an aficionado of RPGPundit means that you're a little slow when it comes to understanding things, but the point of that comparison was to contrast the ability that an actor like Lorre put into his roles with the effort that was put into the characters of the Trade Federation, in order to further mock your bleating ignorance. Wait, that was probably far too complicated for your brain. Let me break it down further: Peter Lorre put a lot of effort into his acting. Fritz Lang put a lot of effort into making good movies. The Trade Federation did not have a lot of effort put into making them good antagonists. If they had had a small fraction of the effort that went into the movie M, directed by Fritz Lang and featuring Peter Lorre in a major role as the villain put into them, then TPM would be a better movie. If they had had the same effort put into them that Lorre put into his later roles in low-budget Roger Corman movies, then TPM would still be a better movie, though arguably in a different axis.
Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Hey Elfie-poo, when you actually have a valid point to make rather than knee-jerk prequationist-spasms, get back to me. Until then you can sentence-by-sentence my posts all you want, it doesn't make you any more coherent or any less wrong.
Giving up already? Concession accepted.
I'm curious. Do you have a point, and can you explain it without saying something that is demonstrably wrong?
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Post by emersonlakeandbalmer »

Elfdart wrote:
Who says they're Asian? Is this what's got your panties in a bunch about the movie? :lol:
Are you deaf? Just curious because if your could hear you'd know the difference between an asian accent and a c. european accent. But please go on, this is helping to explain a lot about your position.
Gunray sounded to me like someone imitating Bela Lugosi and Haako sounded like someone doing a Peter Lorre impression. Last time I checked, neither Lugosi nor Lorre was Asian, though both were from central Europe. Not that it matters one way or the other.
Sufficiently explained. You seem to be tone deaf, not just to logic but to they way people speak as well.

I'm disappointed though, do you not have some crazy shit to say to refute Destructionator XIII after he just owned you? How about a concession on the question I keep asking you and Raynor? "How does the blockade get them money? Please provide an answer from the film that explains how they benefit financially from the blockade. If you or Elfdart could simply do this or concede the point we can move on to something else you don't understand about the RLM review."
Now this is truly funny: Stoklasshole's fluffers are upset because I call them retards, then one of them confuses the ability of fictional characters in one movie (the Trade Federation in TPM) with the ability of an actor portraying a character in another movie (Peter Lorre in M). To call someone this stupid a retard is actually a compliment
Wow your reading comprehension is just terrible. Its now gone from being funny to being kind of sad. If you weren't such a dick, I'd feel sorry for you.

I wait with bated breath

edit: words and stuff
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Holy crap.. I left this thread several days ago pointing out how utterly obsessive and lame this whining about taxes is. How, even IF we were to entertain this nonsense and insert a Nute Gunray line about how they won't release the planet until the taxes are repealed, the movie's plot, characters, and action scenes would all remain the same. I came back thinking that I might find something worthwhile to respond to, but I see now that this thread has gone nowhere because the same people are still caught up on the freaking taxes. I have better things to give a crap about. Don't you guys?

You can dislike the movie. That's just your opinion, which I couldn't care less about. You can dislike Jar Jar, or think that the comedy was excessive and detracted from the final battle. Perfectly normal reasons. But of all the things to complain about, you're demanding an irrelevant line of trivia from the mouth of a patsy supporting character. For about 20 pages now. Pretending to be smart and analytical even as you demand that every little thing be spelled out and spoon fed to you.

Almost seems like certain people are trying way too hard too hard to "justify" their emotional dislike for the movie with supposedly "logical" reasons. Someone ask how a blockade works again. :lol:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Wait a minute... so a single throw-away line by me, back on page three, regarding the possibility of Naboo being self-sufficient as a planet now qualifies as ample evidence that someone's making multiple claims about hunting wildlife for survival?
Stop trying to brush this off and even lying about it. I did not say that you made that claim "multiple" times. I'm simply calling you on it multiple times. And no, it's not a "single throw-away line" by you. It was so illogical and ignorant that it shows that your very attitudes and thought processes about the movie are suspect. Or your thought processes in general.
Hey, I have no problem conceding that Naboo would be ruined with a full trade blockade/invasion... if it were actually shown. But it wasn't, thus whether they're hunting wildlife to survive, or breaking out the emergency stores of MRE's, the movie shows that the blockade and invasion did absolutely nothing to Naboo other than make the Gungans a little restless and give us a bunch of comic-relief matchstick-robots to shoot at.
Stop with the excuses already. Forcing the entire population to eat stores of MREs (nonexistent, never mentioned), while probably ruining the entire network of businesses in the economy is not the same as inflicting "absolutely nothing." If you have even an ounce of common sense, you would understand this.
Hey Elfie-poo, when you actually have a valid point to make rather than knee-jerk prequationist-spasms, get back to me.
You are in no position to talk down to anyone in this thread.

EDIT: I love how he actually re-justified his prior arguments about hunting wildlife (or eating MREs, big difference!), proving that he doesn't understand the simple concept of "blockade = bad."
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Post by emersonlakeandbalmer »

Jim Raynor wrote:Holy crap.. I left this thread several days ago pointing out how utterly obsessive and lame this whining about taxes is. How, even IF we were to entertain this nonsense and insert a Nute Gunray line about how they won't release the planet until the taxes are repealed, the movie's plot, characters, and action scenes would all remain the same.
Correct, it would still be an awful movie, but less of in incompetently made one. I'm glad you're starting to understand. Lucas is a terrible writer and TPM makes no sense.
I came back thinking that I might find something worthwhile to respond to, but I see now that this thread has gone nowhere because the same people are still caught up on the freaking taxes. I have better things to give a crap about. Don't you guys?
This coming from the guy who wrote a 108 page rebuttal to an internet video. I really doubt you have anything better to do. But one thing you could try is answering or conceding the question I've directed at you numerous times now. For someone that gets so upset that he will "bring it up again and again, because people don't take them back." You are really good avoiding questions to can't answer. Here I'll put it in quotes for you
Shit Raynor Doesn't Know wrote:"How does the blockade get them money? Please provide an answer from the film that explains how they benefit financially from the blockade. If you or Elfdart could simply do this or concede the point we can move on to something else you don't understand about the RLM review."
I would love for you to try to refute Destructionator XIII assessment of the taxes, since it was so clear to you and Elfdart, but once again you ignore it to talk about wildlife. You continue to be a petty child.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Bakustra wrote:That you're wrong, and willing to throw anything too insulting down the memory hole. Your entire argument about how the Trade Federation need no depth of any sort is based on this comparison,
It isn't, as anyone who is not a dishonest Stoklasshole can see. But do go on...
You undermine yourself without even realizing it, but since you listen to a third-rate Hunter S. Thompson knockoff, that's unsurprising.

Who?
But on another level, ordinary human beings, who have not succumbed to the siren call of a pipe-collector in Uruguay, seek to correct themselves when they say something that's wrong. Your mentor has taught you well, though.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Now, I realize that being an aficionado of RPGPundit
Oh I see: The fact that I've posted on http://www.therpgsite.com means that I'm a groupie for RPGPundit like you and the other fucktards are for Red Letter Moron. I invite anyone who is curious to look at the website and scan through all 175+ of my posts and see if I'm a stooge for RPGPundit.

You really are desperately grasping at straws, aren't you? :lol:
means that you're a little slow when it comes to understanding things, but the point of that comparison was to contrast the ability that an actor like Lorre put into his roles with the effort that was put into the characters of the Trade Federation, in order to further mock your bleating ignorance.
Here's what you wrote:
Hell, if the Trade Fed had the ability that Lorre put into his Roger Corman roles, then TPM would also not have the reputation it does.
The TF didn't put any effort into anything when it came to making the movies because they're fictional characters. Now you say you knew the difference between fictional characters and a real-life actor, but you're still mixing apples and oranges. For a writer, a minor character isn't all that important (which is why they're minor characters). For the actor playing that part, the character is very important because that's his job and his responsibility.

Wait, that was probably far too complicated for your brain. Let me break it down further: Peter Lorre put a lot of effort into his acting. Fritz Lang put a lot of effort into making good movies. The Trade Federation did not have a lot of effort put into making them good antagonists. If they had had a small fraction of the effort that went into the movie M, directed by Fritz Lang and featuring Peter Lorre in a major role as the villain put into them, then TPM would be a better movie. If they had had the same effort put into them that Lorre put into his later roles in low-budget Roger Corman movies, then TPM would still be a better movie, though arguably in a different axis.
The two are not remotely comparable since Hans Beckert was the main character in M, while Gunray and the others are not.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Oh Elfy, I finally got you to respond to my little jibes. And it is glorious. But I see that you haven't figured out that language thing yet. Let me help you.
Now, you cut out the first sentence, in order to make it look like I said a complete non-sequitur. That's lying by omission. Liars are bad people, and bad things happen to them. My cousin once told a real whopper, and a badger came charging out of the woods and bit his hand off. That was a real weird summer.

But anyways, an honest person would have realized that the second sentence continued from the first, and was still referring to the relative level of effort.

Finally, you're still wrong about Lorre mainly playing patsies, which you used to suggest that the Trade Federation having no motivation was an acceptable and common phenomenon. But you're also suggesting that it's not okay to put effort into side characters, because they're "not important". A movie where the primary antagonist (Sidious has too little screentime and Maul says one line) is "not important" is going to be a shitty movie if it's in a genre as dependent on the antagonist as adventure movies like Star Wars are.
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The only major role he had that arguably fits the term "patsy" is Joel Cairo in The Maltese Falcon. Honestly, it's almost as though your entire knowledge of pop culture that isn't Star Wars or Indiana Jones comes from watching Looney Tunes while stoked.
Do you have any idea how much of a fuckwit you really are? Imagine someone mentioning that characters in a movie reminded him of John Wayne because they were swaggering drunks, and some retard starts squealing "But John Wayne played other types of characters too!" and therefore the person is "wrong".

You are one dumb twat.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Elfdart wrote:

The only major role he had that arguably fits the term "patsy" is Joel Cairo in The Maltese Falcon. Honestly, it's almost as though your entire knowledge of pop culture that isn't Star Wars or Indiana Jones comes from watching Looney Tunes while stoked.
Do you have any idea how much of a fuckwit you really are? Imagine someone mentioning that characters in a movie reminded him of John Wayne because they were swaggering drunks, and some retard starts squealing "But John Wayne played other types of characters too!" and therefore the person is "wrong".

You are one dumb twat.
Ooh, yes, Elfy, that's it. That's it. Zero in on what you think is the weak point, and ignore everything else!! Hahahaha, you're an asshole. Here, let me help you with that. It's more like if somebody (this is you) said "the Trade Federation reminds me of John Wayne because they're essentially in yellowface" (btw you ignored people's posts about that very topic, you fucking coward) and somebody else (this is me) said "the only time John Wayne was in yellowface makeup was that Ghenghis Khan disaster that gave half the crew cancer. Are you high?"

"One dumb twat" indeed.

PS: If you're still all sore and boo-hooing about people assuming you share the opinions of someone else, maybe you take the plank out of your own eye and stop calling people "Stoklassholes" or "Heathcliff sycophants" or whatever else your stunningly original brain can come up with.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Destructionator XIII wrote: Really? I had ten lettered points, most of which had pretty direct references back to the film. You will cut up sentences to nitpick them point by point, but the best you can do against the a-j items is snip them and insult me?
I gave your retarded fan fiction the attention it deserved.

Jesus Christ.
Awwww, did someone just rub sand in your pussy?
Bakustra wrote:Oh Elfy, I finally got you to respond to my little jibes. And it is glorious. But I see that you haven't figured out that language thing yet. Let me help you.
The last person in the world I'd seek help from with English is someone who churns out incoherent gibberish like this:
The TF had about as much effort put into them as the typical henchman in a Bond movie: Non-retards can surmise that they do as their evil boss tells them to because of fear of their employer(s), personal gain or some combination of the two. Apparently, you would like to see job interviews where Goldfinger tells Odd Job exactly how he's going to be rewarded for doing his bidding.
Now, you cut out the first sentence, in order to make it look like I said a complete non-sequitur. because Elfdart isn't interested in retyping every fucking word I write and prefers to stick to the relevant part. That's lying by omission being concise. Liars are bad people, and bad things happen to them.

Why are you telling me? It's Heathcliff and his cockgoblins who need to worry about that. See below:
Finally, you're still wrong about Lorre mainly playing patsies, which you used to suggest that the Trade Federation having no motivation was an acceptable and common phenomenon.
I didn't say the TF had no motivation you spunkfelching piece of shit.
But you're also suggesting that it's not okay to put effort into side characters, because they're "not important".

Another lie. Feel free to quote where I wrote such a thing.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Elfy wrote:The TF didn't put any effort into anything when it came to making the movies because they're fictional characters. Now you say you knew the difference between fictional characters and a real-life actor, but you're still mixing apples and oranges. For a writer, a minor character isn't all that important (which is why they're minor characters). For the actor playing that part, the character is very important because that's his job and his responsibility.
Also, the Trade Federation fulfill exactly the same role as Red Grant and Oddjob. Hahahaha. God damn.
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Alright guys, I've been watching various posts and detecting some common trends. Now, we've been putting forward our own ideas on how the movie could have been done better by our standards, but we've been a little unfair. None of us have given real thought as to how it could have been done better by Elfie and Raynor's standards. With that in mind, I've quickly put together a screenplay for Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (special Elfdart edition)

-------------

(Lucasfilm logo pops up on screen, then fades away)

(A running counter appears on screen, showing the number of people who've seen the movie, and thus how good it must be by objective popularity standards)

(The classic Star Wars theme music hits, big blocky letters show up over a starry background, proclaiming this to be Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace)

[Producer's Note: Do we really need the title? I mean, people know what movie they're going to see, and only a complete fucking moron wouldn't know going in that this was a Star Wars movie. Gawd, are we supposed to hold these retards' hands the whole way through this? For that matter, is the music really necessary? Even children can understand the music's not important, just that good is good and bad is bad.]

(As the title recedes into the background, the familiar scrolling text, viewed at a strong angle, crawls both up the screen and from the foreground into the background)
IT IS A TIME OF GREAT TURMOIL IN A PLACE!
THE GOVERNMENT OF SPACE HAS PASSED A LAW WHICH MAKES SOMETHING LEGAL OR ILLEGAL!
THIS EFFECTS SOME PEOPLE
THEY ARE BAD BECAUSE THEY ARE GREEDY, SO THEY DO BAD THINGS TO A PLANET
A MAN IN A HOOD CONTROLS THEM, BECAUSE HE IS BAD AND SO ARE THEY!
[Producer's Note: What's with all the minutae? Look, no one cares about this crap, only a complete moron wouldn't already know these people are bad, no one cares why. Even children can understand they're bad, they have funny accents and we already said they're greedy, let's stop flogging this dead horse and get on with things!]
THE GOVERNMENT OF SPACE TALKED A LOT OFFSCREEN
AND HAVE SENT PEOPLE TO DO SOMETHING WHICH WILL END THE BAD!
THESE PEOPLE ARE SUPERHEROES AND GOOD, BECAUSE THEY ARE
A KID IS FOUND AND HE IS GOOD BECAUSE HE WINS, HE SHOOTS AT THE BAD AND IT BLOWS UP!
THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GOOD SWORDFIGHT THE BAD, WHICH IS BAD, AND THE BAD DIES
BUT THE MAN IN THE HOOD IS STILL IN CONTROL OF THE BAD, HE'S THE 'PHANTOM MENACE'!
(As the text disappears into the background, the POV lowers to see the surface of a planet with some ships hovering over it. The entirety of the scene fades to black, the end credits roll.)

[Producers Note: Alright, I get that the credits are a legal requirement, but do we need the planet and the ships? Look, the movie's called 'Star Wars', we're already insulting the audience's intelligence by showing stars. Even children know what the fuck stars are.]
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

No, no, that's overdoing it. You're going to confuse the children with that much information! It has to be like that:

[opening crawl, the music is played by one guy on a kazoo because children are known to be confused by symphonic compositions]

STAR WARS

-FIGHTING-

BAD GUYS SOMETHING
GOOD GUYS SOMETHING

BOOM, BOOM, KA-PLOW, ZIP-SWISH

THE END

That's also the entirety of the movie. Let the children imagine the rest. Doesn't everybody say it's important to let the kiddies do that? For the next movie...there won't even be one. After purchasing a ticket they'll be punted back on the street and be left off to write and film the movie themselves. Putting something on the screen is something only butt-hurt fanboys would want and that must be counter-acted every which way! Then they'll stop whining about plot holes because there's not plot in the first place. Or characters. Or anything. We don't need those stinking things anyway and if people complain you can be assured some distinguished person will write a 5000 page rebuttal which proves that movies are for children to make since they're the yardstick of all that is great and good in the universe.

BTW I'm off, gotta' peddle these new market strategies to the studios before any of you clowns steal them!

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Bakustra wrote:
Elfy wrote:The TF didn't put any effort into anything when it came to making the movies because they're fictional characters. Now you say you knew the difference between fictional characters and a real-life actor, but you're still mixing apples and oranges. For a writer, a minor character isn't all that important (which is why they're minor characters). For the actor playing that part, the character is very important because that's his job and his responsibility.
Also, the Trade Federation fulfill exactly the same role as Red Grant and Oddjob. Hahahaha. God damn.
So where did I write that "it's not OK to put effort into side characters"?
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Jim Raynor wrote:Holy crap.. I left this thread several days ago pointing out how utterly obsessive and lame this whining about taxes is. How, even IF we were to entertain this nonsense and insert a Nute Gunray line about how they won't release the planet until the taxes are repealed, the movie's plot, characters, and action scenes would all remain the same.
Correct, it would still be an awful movie, but less of in incompetently made one. I'm glad you're starting to understand. Lucas is a terrible writer and TPM makes no sense.
Good God man! :lol: Stop pretending to be smart already. If you have any intelligence, you're not bringing it to this thread. You repeatedly assert how right and analytical you are, by your inability to grasp a movie written for ten year olds.
I came back thinking that I might find something worthwhile to respond to, but I see now that this thread has gone nowhere because the same people are still caught up on the freaking taxes. I have better things to give a crap about. Don't you guys?
This coming from the guy who wrote a 108 page rebuttal to an internet video. I really doubt you have anything better to do.
LOL, the fact that I've deprioritized this thread down to "something I might do once or twice a week, if I even remember or give a crap about it" speaks to that fact.

Yes, I wrote a 108 page rebuttal to Stoklasa's shameless and unintelligent rants against this movie. That's a very geeky thing, as I said so myself, at the beginning of my own essay. That's the difference I see between me, and several of the people here. I'm upfront about my geeky habits, and I channeled into something that dealt with the facts. Some people here, on the other hand, delude themselves into thinking trivia obsessions are not only normal, but the defining element in filmmaking or film watching. They express their geekiness in unintelligent (make that frighteningly dumb), failed attempts to analyze the movie. Not understanding that "blockade = bad," something I got just fine in elementary school.
Shit Raynor Doesn't Know wrote:"How does the blockade get them money? Please provide an answer from the film that explains how they benefit financially from the blockade. If you or Elfdart could simply do this or concede the point we can move on to something else you don't understand about the RLM review."
Opening crawl: "Hoping to resolve this matter [the tax dispute]"

Stop reveling in your lack of grade school reading comprehension.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Alright guys, I've been watching various posts and detecting some common trends. Now, we've been putting forward our own ideas on how the movie could have been done better by our standards, but we've been a little unfair. None of us have given real thought as to how it could have been done better by Elfie and Raynor's standards. With that in mind, I've quickly put together a screenplay for Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (special Elfdart edition)
You try too long, and too hard, in writing your insults. Insults lose their effect when it gets to the point where the other guy can't even be bothered to READ them. :lol:

Didn't you recently reassert the fact that you can't understand that "blockade = bad"? Like I said, I understood that the first time I even learned what a blockade is. Now, either I was a genius child prodigy (which I don't think is the case), or you're intentionally being dense.

Did you guys get the point yet, that this isn't some kind of vigorous debate yet? I'm practically treating it as a source of comedy now. We have a bunch of grown men (that's what you guys are, right?) boasting about their inability to read or pick up on simple inferences. But that doesn't matter, because you guys can whine about a 12 year old movie and idolize some guy who talks like a retard for over an hour. That's something to be proud of.

Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

Still waiting on the answers to some of these obscenely simple questions.

If the problem is with us being stupid, you should have no problem articulating the connection between the Trade Federation's motive (greed) and their actions (blockading then invading Naboo).

You can also let us know what would have become of the Naboo if the Trade Federation had won.

Because it's so simple, obviously. So explain it to us poor, simpering retards. But try not to use too many big words.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Elfdart wrote:
Destructionator XIII wrote: Really? I had ten lettered points, most of which had pretty direct references back to the film. You will cut up sentences to nitpick them point by point, but the best you can do against the a-j items is snip them and insult me?
I gave your retarded fan fiction the attention it deserved.
Ha, were his "ten lettered points" have to do with the taxes, which were the "main plot," "character motivation," and overall point of the movie? It amazes me that certain people try so hard to come up with fan-made theories, when all anyone needs to know to get the movie is that a tax dispute escalated into armed conflict. Man that was tough.

What was it I've been saying, about the lack of self-awareness shown by certain people?

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Cesario wrote:Still waiting on the answers to some of these obscenely simple questions.

If the problem is with us being stupid, you should have no problem articulating the connection between the Trade Federation's motive (greed) and their actions (blockading then invading Naboo).
The opening crawl flat out states that they attacked the planet to resolve the tax issue. Presumably in their favor, I guess. Presumably because Naboo was on the other side of the tax issue, or the interests behind the taxes didn't like Naboo being blockaded ("alarming chain of events" anyone?).

I know, mind blowing stuff. Want to know more? Go to the SW official forum and demand a tie-in comic book, or something.