In 40K News: Bill King, Writing about the Macharian Crusade

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

In 40K News: Bill King, Writing about the Macharian Crusade

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Black Library Link

Due out summer of next year, and according to William King's blog he's finished the book and its up for revisions, but I must say between that and Cain and more Gaunt next year I'll be excited to see what happens.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: In 40K News: Bill King, Writing about the Macharian Cru

Post by madd0ct0r »

is that a living saint posing there?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

madd0ct0r wrote:is that a living saint posing there?
Your ability to read the linked article does not impress me.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Solar Macharius = the Imperium's Alexander the Great, right?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

...Macharius wasn't a saint, was he?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:is that a living saint posing there?
Your ability to read the linked article does not impress me.
Technically, his thought is correct. Lord Solar Macharius is an imperial saint.

He's also not been depicted with wings before so that may represent some kind of saintlyness.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

My impression is that he was canonized for conquering so much in the name of the Imperium, not for having supernatural abilities during his life...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Considering the wings are somewhat insubstantial, I think it may be symbolic of his awesomeness, not an indication of supernatural ability. Or it's the presence of the Emperor... or something.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

This has the potential to be rather awesome. But what is the consensus on King's writing ability? I found his first Ragnar novel to be enthralling, but as the series progressed, it began to become much like of a replay of the earlier novel preceding it, with the last one falling flat on itself....
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Well, I'm excited. Don't think I've ever read King before, though.

And yeah, Lord Solar (warmaster equivalent) Macharius led the biggest damn Crusade since the Emperor was mobile, conquering or recapturing several hundred worlds and pushing the Imperium's borders farther than they'd ever gone, until he reached the limits of the Astronomicon. It was the great accomplishment that closed out the 40th Millenium and opened the 41st. Immediatly followed by something called the Macharian Heresy, don't know what happened there. Only that by the end, Macharius was still a great hero of the Imperium, and drank himself to death.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Space Wolves books being repetitive is a bit grating, but they're more enjoyably written than the sequels by Lee Lightner; you have to give King that.

For my part... hmm... I wonder if the Macharian Heresy was a bunch of guys figuring that Macharius was the new Emperor or something? That'd be a hell of a place for him to find himself in, considering that the Reign of Blood wasn't particularly long ago (couple thousand?).

The picture is obvious propaganda; the wings aren't as interesting to me as the fact they changed the helmet. Macharius used to have this Alexander-esque lion's head style helmet, but they've converted it into a horned or winged Teutonic-knight style helm. Guess they want to give him more of a 'crusader' look...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Elheru Aran wrote:The picture is obvious propaganda; the wings aren't as interesting to me as the fact they changed the helmet. Macharius used to have this Alexander-esque lion's head style helmet, but they've converted it into a horned or winged Teutonic-knight style helm. Guess they want to give him more of a 'crusader' look...
The model has the winged helmet, though open faced, where here it appears as a closed helm (but then, Cadian helmets serve as both).
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Ahriman238 wrote:Well, I'm excited. Don't think I've ever read King before, though.

And yeah, Lord Solar (warmaster equivalent) Macharius led the biggest damn Crusade since the Emperor was mobile, conquering or recapturing several hundred worlds and pushing the Imperium's borders farther than they'd ever gone, until he reached the limits of the Astronomicon. It was the great accomplishment that closed out the 40th Millenium and opened the 41st. Immediatly followed by something called the Macharian Heresy, don't know what happened there. Only that by the end, Macharius was still a great hero of the Imperium, and drank himself to death.
According to Lexicanum, the Marcharian Heresy happened when Macharius' seven generals started fighting among themselves, to the point where they even seceded from the Imperium and divided up his conquests into their personal empires (think the Diadochi). They were put down later.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I wonder if this dude commanded any Space Marine Chapters. You'd think they'd play a role in vast conquests.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Vympel wrote:I wonder if this dude commanded any Space Marine Chapters. You'd think they'd play a role in vast conquests.
The Astartes were almost certainly involved. Precisely how this worked is harder to say, as Astartes can sometimes have funny attitudes about accepting orders or requests from regular Imperial forces. The White Scars were heavily involved in the original Sabbat crusade, and respected the Saint enough to provide an honour guard at her funeral. By contrast, the Dark Angels have a bad reputation for cutting loose at awkward moments because they happen to get word of a Fallen Angel. The Marines Malevolent are even worse, with a reputation for ruthlessless and egotism.

Considering a Lord Solar is supposed to be equivalent to a Warmaster, there's a better than average chance that Astartes would accept Macharius' orders. Like an Inquisitor, he would do well to be respectful and tactful.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

It depends a lot on the Astartes. The Salamanders, Ultramarines, White Consuls, etc. are generally pretty good at working with existing command structures, the Dark Angels are among those who are kind of shaky there, and others have giant banners on their ships for the exact purposes of flipping other Imperial forces off (see: Marines Malevolent, the).
Juubi Karakuchi wrote:The Marines Malevolent are even worse, with a reputation for ruthlessless and egotism.
This happens to be a reputation that they entirely deserve, given their behaviour (one example of their dickheaded behaviour led to Chapter Master Tu'Shan of the Salamanders beating the fuck out of a Marines Malevolent Captain).
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

WRT Space Marines: in the latest IG codex, it is stated that it took 100 Chapters 100 years to re-conquer the Macharian conquests after Macharius' death (and his generals' rebellions). Now, I haven't looked that hard into it, but I have always got the impression that the actual Macharian crusade was primarily an IG thing.

Of course, I fully expect these books to change that. Gotta shoehorn the SMs into everything.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

evilsoup wrote:WRT Space Marines: in the latest IG codex, it is stated that it took 100 Chapters 100 years to re-conquer the Macharian conquests after Macharius' death (and his generals' rebellions). Now, I haven't looked that hard into it, but I have always got the impression that the actual Macharian crusade was primarily an IG thing.

Of course, I fully expect these books to change that. Gotta shoehorn the SMs into everything.
Any large scale conflict is going to be primarily a guard thing, marines don't have the numbers and logistics (except maybe the Ultramarines) to conquer hundreds or thousands of worlds. But as with any imperial undertaking there will be marines, eclisarchy, mechanus, etc forces involved. Some planets may have been taken with the help of the marines, one or two just by marines but the majority would have been guard alone.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

The Sabbat Worlds Crusade had at least 6 chapters of Space Marines, and at least 2 Titan Legions, and that war was barely a large skirmish by the standards of the Macharian Crusade. At least as of IA X, the Star Phantoms chapter partcipated in the Macharian Crusade, and Lord Macharius himself left directions that the chapter was never to be called on for mission involving 'subtlety' or 'minimal collateral damage.'
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

The Sabbat Worlds Crusade included elements of six Chapters, or at least it did at the start (more probably joined later on) - Raven Guard, Iron Snakes, Silver Guard, White Scars and Imperial Fists are the known ones. The Raven Guard certainly didn't commit their entire strength to it; they don't do that - or, at least, don't outside of very extreme circumstances, such as a critical threat to Deliverance and Kiavahr (or the 13th Black Crusade, which per Cadian Blood most of their strength was committed against). And even then they're not liable to fight as a Chapter; simply doesn't fit with how they work..
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Ahriman238 wrote:Immediatly followed by something called the Macharian Heresy, don't know what happened there. Only that by the end, Macharius was still a great hero of the Imperium, and drank himself to death.
Essentially the Imperium overextended itself during the Macharian Crusade. They could not construct the required infrastructure and provide the necessary garrisons to stop the planets from leaving the Imperial fold later on. After the crusade died out with Macharius, the worlds were kept in line by their governors for a time. Pretty soon after his death, the whole of the worlds conquered collapsed into rivalry and war (think the collapse of Alexander's empire). The unrest lasted for 70 years before it was quelled by the Imperium.

Interesting note: 100 Space Marine chapters (I doubt full ones) were deployed to end the fighting.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Out there, somewhere, there is a fan-made Macharian Crusade codex/rulebook (along the lines of Imperial Armour). It was quite a good read, actually - definitely up there with GW stuff.

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

evilsoup wrote:Out there, somewhere, there is a fan-made Macharian Crusade codex/rulebook (along the lines of Imperial Armour). It was quite a good read, actually - definitely up there with GW stuff.
You can find it here. Sadly it's still based on the old Imperial Guard codex, but then again doctrines were pretty well-suited for this kind of project.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

NecronLord wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:The picture is obvious propaganda; the wings aren't as interesting to me as the fact they changed the helmet. Macharius used to have this Alexander-esque lion's head style helmet, but they've converted it into a horned or winged Teutonic-knight style helm. Guess they want to give him more of a 'crusader' look...
The model has the winged helmet, though open faced, where here it appears as a closed helm (but then, Cadian helmets serve as both).
Those aren't wings on the helmet. They are giant, golden laurels, just like on the model.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

No, they're horns, just like on the model; they're a reference to Alexander the Great, who was often depicted as a sort of demigod, as represented by his having horns.