The ultimate fate of the Byzantines?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: The ultimate fate of the Byzantines?

Post by Thanas »

He also forgot to mention that the Pope strictly forbade any action against the Byzantines and even excommunicated the crusader army several times for their atrocities. It was only after the sack that he arranged himself with the fait accompli.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Thanas wrote:
Narkis wrote:His own link says the same! How the Roman Empire was neither Latin, nor Greek, but just Roman.
I guess Logicomix better start reading his own links then.
This guy argues against the modern use of "Greeks" and "Hellenes" to describe the nation, and says it should be instead "Ρωμιοι", a corrupted form of "Ρωμαιοι" - "Romans". And that it should encompass all Balkan people, as they were Romans too.
By that standard all of Europe is Roman.
It's... complicated actually. He espouses, among others, a philosophy that had some supporters in the days of old, but I hadn't heard from someone living until now. It started in the days of the Ottoman Empire, and its champions, mainly Rigas Feraios, said that all Balkan people should unite, overthrow the oppressors, and create a panbalcanic Neo-Roman state. Later advocates insisted that the differences and borders in the Balkans were artificial, imposed by the Great Powers for their own benefit, and nationalism only emerged due to their local pawns who sought to secure their own power by inspiring religious fervor, and creating a national identity out of the accomplishments of the ancient Greeks, while treating the Romans as conquerors and nothing more. So, again, all Balkan people should unite, overthrow their oppressors, and create a panbalcanic Neo-Roman state.

He is a nationalist, of the worst kind. Intensely proud of the accomplishments of people long dead, who only happened to live in the same general area as he. All disasters, all problems were caused by filthy foreigners who just couldn't stand the awesomeness contained here. After all, our ancestors could do no wrong. Anything you say that sulies their memory and belittles their accomplishments is a personal insult. Nothing can change their narrow, self-contradictory view. I've tried more than enough. Met too many of these people already.
Logicomix
Redshirt

Post by Logicomix »

Narkis wrote:He is a nationalist, of the worst kind. Intensely proud of the accomplishments of people long dead, who only happened to live in the same general area as he.
Πώπω έχω λιώσει απο τα γέλια - αυτό το μαργαριτάρι σε συνδιασμό με το avatar που έχεις επιλέξει είναι όλα τα λεφτά. Ρε βλάκα το διάβασες καλά αυτό πριν το κάνεις post;
Σοβαρά τώρα, το Κορινθιακό κράνος τι το θέλεις; Έχεις καμία σχέση εσύ προσωπικά με τους Δωριείς (Μακεδόνες ή Σπαρτιάτες);
Μαλάκα εθνικιστή του κώλου. Αυνάν.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Hey, asshole, how about you try not to insult board members based on their avatars alone?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Logicomix wrote:
Narkis wrote:He is a nationalist, of the worst kind. Intensely proud of the accomplishments of people long dead, who only happened to live in the same general area as he.
Πώπω έχω λιώσει απο τα γέλια - αυτό το μαργαριτάρι σε συνδιασμό με το avatar που έχεις επιλέξει είναι όλα τα λεφτά. Ρε βλάκα το διάβασες καλά αυτό πριν το κάνεις post;
Σοβαρά τώρα, το Κορινθιακό κράνος τι το θέλεις; Έχεις καμία σχέση εσύ προσωπικά με τους Δωριείς (Μακεδόνες ή Σπαρτιάτες);
Μαλάκα εθνικιστή του κώλου. Αυνάν.
Translation for those who can't read the language: "Ur avatar and ur post do not fit, what u say is stoopid and u r a stoopid nationalist." Not exactly word-for-word, I hope you'll forgive me. :wink:

Seriously dude, you were the one who came here and started going on and on about the Great Greek Byzantine Empire and conspiracies and stuff. This is an international btw, and not everyone can speak the Great Universal Language. Even though there are more than you'd have imagined. And the same bullshit that makes you and your equally retarded friends proud won't work here. Go back to the Golden Dawn forums that you like and masturbate furiously watching videos of Liakopoulos and dreaming of the marbled king who'll come back and save the motherland from illegal immigrants and blood traitors.
General Havoc
Redshirt

Post by General Havoc »

Forgive me, for I do agree with the majority of what you're saying, but I saw this little example and could not help myself but comment:
Otherwise every Roman who primarily spoke Greek and wrote in Greek would be a greek, which I am sure will be news to Marcus Aurelius.
Marcus Aurelius did not primarily speak Greek. He certainly spoke it, the Meditations are written in it, but it was quite clearly a second language to him. His working language his entire life was Latin. For philosophical discourse he preferred to use Greek (a notion hardly unique to him), but it was not the language of his court or administration, as I understand it.

Forgive me if this seems pedantic (it probably is), but I had to put my two cents in.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No worries, I am quite willing to entertain a discussion on that.

I am in fact quite certain that Marcus Aurelius spoke at least as much Greek as he did Latin over the course of his career. First of all, the working language being Latin only pertains to few things exclusively - the army, the law and the roman religious functions. With everything else, he would have gotten away with speaking greek and when addressing the east of the Empire as well as its philosophers he would almost be required to speak Greek. The importance of Greek can also be ascertained by the fact that Marcus had three tutors in Greek whereas just one in Latin and the importance of the figure of Herodes Atticus.

He really is an example of the bilingual Roman Aristocracy in that regard.

EDIT: Though I do admit that it will be impossible to prove for me that he spoke it primarily, so I'll just settle for "equally".
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Hey Havoc, welcome to the board. I should have known that Roman history being discussed would act as an irresistible lure.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Logicomix
Redshirt

Post by Logicomix »

Narkis wrote: Seriously dude, you were the one who came here and started going on and on about the Great Greek Byzantine Empire and conspiracies and stuff. This is an international btw, and not everyone can speak the Great Universal Language. Even though there are more than you'd have imagined. And the same bullshit that makes you and your equally retarded friends proud won't work here. Go back to the Golden Dawn forums that you like and masturbate furiously watching videos of Liakopoulos and dreaming of the marbled king who'll come back and save the motherland from illegal immigrants and blood traitors.
Γαμώ και τον Λιακόπουλο και τη Χρυσή Αυγή.
Γαμώ και τα γουρούνια τους μπάτσους τους δολοφόνους.
Γαμώ και τον Μπουμπούκο και τον Καρατζαφύρερ και όλους τους μητσοτακο-παρανδρεο-καραμανλήδες που κατέστρεψαν την Ελλάδα.
Γαμώ και την Παπαρήγα και τη αριστερά που το μόνο που ξέρει είναι να γαβγίζει.
Σε Γαμώ και εσένα φλωράκο.
Τόσα ξέρεις - τόσα λες.

Φλωράκο, την ερώτησή μου όμως δεν την απάντησες. Το Κορινθιακό κράνος τι το θέλεις; Έχεις καμία σχέση εσύ προσωπικά με τους Δωριείς (Μακεδόνες ή Σπαρτιάτες); Μαλάκα εθνικιστή του κώλου. Αυνάν. Βάλε ρε μαλάκα το σφυρί του Θόρ για avatar. Βάλε το σφυροδρέπανο του Στάλιν.

Υ.Γ
Δεν σε είπα εθνικιστή ρε αρχιδάκι. Δώσε Προσόχη γιατί είσαι και βλάκας και δεν τα πιάνεις με τη πρώτη...
Άλλο ο μαλάκας ο εθνικιστής του κώλου (καλή ώρα εσύ) και άλλο ο μαλάκας ο κώλο-εθνικιστής (Χρυσή Αυγή & Καρατζαφύρερ).
Άλλο ο μάστορας με αρχίδια (εγώ) και άλλο αρχίδια-μάστορας (εσύ).
Μάθε Ελληνικούλια. Μάθε μπαλίτσα κούκλα μου.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^My my. What a meltdown.

For the record, Narkis can use whatever avatar he wants and you are nothing but a troll. I look forward to your banning.
------------
------------
My LPs
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

Anyone here willing to translate what it (Logicomix) just wrote?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

he basically wrote several "fuck you"s to Narkis, ranted about the left, the people who (according to him) wrecked greece, ridiculed Narkis by a stupid misspelling of his name, ranted some more about a few websites, called Narkis a nationalist ass (oh the irony) and then claimed Narkis has no right to use his avatar becasue he had nothing to do with the people who wore that helmet in antiquity.

In all so many words. I'll not bother with a literal translation because basically every second word would be "fuck" or a variation thereof.
------------
------------
My LPs
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

That is quite sufficient, thank you very much.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Hey Havoc, welcome to the board. I should have known that Roman history being discussed would act as an irresistible lure.
Who do you think cast the bait?
The importance of Greek can also be ascertained by the fact that Marcus had three tutors in Greek whereas just one in Latin and the importance of the figure of Herodes Atticus.
It strikes me that Latin would have been his native language (or maybe second perhaps, seeing as he was born in Iberia, I dont know if he would have grown up speaking the local language as well, so there is a hole there), which naturally, outside of writing it perhaps, would have required fewer tutors. Even so, didnt he have at least two latin tutors, Trosius Aper and Tuticius Proculus?

It seems to me that the every day language of his life would have been Latin, while he was certainly exceptionally fluent in Greek. In much the same way that you Thanas, I assume, speak german for the every day slices of your existence... But I still cannot tell you are not a native english speaker from your writing.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:It strikes me that Latin would have been his native language (or maybe second perhaps, seeing as he was born in Iberia, I dont know if he would have grown up speaking the local language as well, so there is a hole there),
I really doubt he spoke any of the local language considering his family was as Roman as it got.
which naturally, outside of writing it perhaps, would have required fewer tutors. Even so, didnt he have at least two latin tutors, Trosius Aper and Tuticius Proculus?
I was referring to his teachers of oratory, which at least gives us an indication as to where the weight lay. His early teachers were two greek teachers and two latin teachers indeed, but note who had the most influence there - Diognetus and Alexander, both "greeks". The former taught him his lifestyle and habit, the latter his literary styling. Outside of Fronto, I cannot remember any writer in Latin who had a great influence on him.
It seems to me that the every day language of his life would have been Latin, while he was certainly exceptionally fluent in Greek. In much the same way that you Thanas, I assume, speak german for the every day slices of your existence... But I still cannot tell you are not a native english speaker from your writing.
That depends. Greek was very much a court language on at least the same level as latin (Hadrian for example favored greek). There is no doubt he spoke predominantly latin in his later years though because he was constantly on campaign and latin was the language of the army.
------------
------------
My LPs
Logicomix
Redshirt

Post by Logicomix »

Thanas wrote:he basically wrote several "fuck you"s to Narkis, ranted about the left, the people who (according to him) wrecked greece, ridiculed Narkis by a stupid misspelling of his name, ranted some more about a few websites, called Narkis a nationalist ass (oh the irony) and then claimed Narkis has no right to use his avatar becasue he had nothing to do with the people who wore that helmet in antiquity.
In all so many words. I'll not bother with a literal translation because basically every second word would be "fuck" or a variation thereof.
You either need to work on your Greek or you need to learn to use Google translate properly.
I never called Narkis a nationalist, I never misspelled his name, and I never mentioned any websites. If either of you knew Greek you would have understood that the first time around.
Your statement that I claimed Narkis "has no right to use his avatar because he had nothing to do with the people who wore that helmet in antiquity" is also absolutely false and intentionally misleading. I guess it follows the trend of the vast majority of your posts.

The reason you won't bother with a literal translation is either because you can't, or because it will expose you as the fraud you are. Probably both. I've stumbled across some major assholes on the Internet but you sure take the prize.
The way you lie, turn honest questions into factual statements, avoid answering questions, and command people to "POST SOURCES NOW!!!" (especially considering you never post any) and when they do post sources you dismiss them as unacceptable for some shit reason you make up, and finally the way you generally seek to infuriate people, shows that you've got some serious psychological problems. Get that shit fixed ASAP because nothing good can or will come of it IRL.

p.s
Why don't you post the links to the websites I mentioned in my post you little twat?
Also post how I misspelled Narkis' name. What word did I use?
Come on. Make me laugh (again).
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Do we have a (sane) greek speaker who can confirm or deny these allegations? I am curious.

Also, this is an english language board, if you are going to spew profanity, at least do so in that language. It is only polite to use the lingua franca.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

I plugged his drivel into Google Translate just for laughs. Here's what I got;
chuckles wrote:Fuck and Liakopoulos and the Golden Dawn.
Fuck and pigs cops killers.
Fuck and buds and the Karatzafyrer and all-Mitsotakis parandreo-Karamanlis ruined Greece.
Fuck and Papariga and the left who only knows how to bark.
In Fuck you and Florakis.
So you know - so you say.

Florakis, my question but not answered. The Corinthian helmet, what do you want? You got nothing to you personally with the Dorians (Macedonians or Spartans)? Malacca nationalist's ass. Onan. Put hours asshole Thor's hammer for avatar. Put the hammer and sickle of Stalin.

PS
It said a nationalist archidaki hours. Pay attention because you are and idiot and did not grab the first ...
Another asshole that the nationalist's ass (good hours you) and another by the jerk-ass nationalist (Golden Dawn & Karatzafyrer).
Another master of the balls (I) and another balls-master (you).
Learn Ellinikoulia. Learn ball darling.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

*shrug* I spent a whole five minutes on it without vocabulary or grammar books, so there is certainly the possibility of mistakes, but I very much doubt he was not ranting about the Golden Dawn, questioning Narkis choice of avatar etc. In any case, I'll ask Narkis if my impression was mistaken.
------------
------------
My LPs
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

As near as I can tell, using a google translator, he said this:
<SNIP!>
Umm.. Yeah. What Ryan said. Damn you, Ryan :D

Which would seem to lend some support to Thanas, and a lot of support to anyone saying "If it's important, don't use an online translator" :D

Now Logicomix, Thanas hardly needs me to defend him, and I'm not going to do so, but if you're going to write something Greek in an English language forum, then TRANSLATE IT YOUR FUCKING SELF. Leaving it in what to me may as well be sanskrit at then challenging others to translate so you can then claim they did it wrong is the tactic of a bratty schoolchild.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh crap, I thought Florakis was an intentional misspelling of Narkis for some purpose I did not get. Now I get it. So, my apologies to logicomix. He did not misspell Narkis name, he just called him a communist outright.

Edit: Also, Golden Dawn is a website.....
------------
------------
My LPs
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

fixed, with explanation wrote:Fuck Liakopoulos and the Golden Dawn. (Liakopoulos is a well-known far-right conspiracy nut. Golden Dawn is the most famous neonazi party)
Fuck pigs cops killers. (A common swear directed at cops)
Fuck and buds the Karatzafyrer and all-Mitsotakis parandreo-Karamanlis who ruined Greece. (Mpoumpoukos (Buds) is the nickname of a well-known far-right politician. Karatzaferis is his party leader, commonly derided as Karatzafyrer. The rest are major party politicians.)
Fuck Papariga and the left who only knows how to bark. (Papariga is the leader of the Communist Party)
Fuck you too, nerd.
That much you know - that you say.

Nerd, you didn't answer. What do you want the Corinthian helmet? Do you have any personal relationship with the Dorians (Macedonians or Spartans)? Asshole nationalist of the ass. Onan. (aka malakas, aka asshole) Put Thor's hammer for your avatar, you asshole. Put the hammer and sickle of Stalin.

PS
I didn't call you a nationalist, you little shit. Pay attention because you are an idiot too and don't get it with the first try ...
Other is the asshole, the nationalist of the ass((false nationalist)) (like you) and other the jerk-ass nationalist (Golden Dawn & Karatzafyrer).
Other is the master with balls (me) and another master of the balls (you).
Learn little Greek. Learn ball darling. (A phrase used by a well known corrupt football manager)
ghetto edit: Got an idiot's blood pressure to rise. It was a nice day. :D
Last edited by Narkis on 2011-10-14 12:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So....turns out I was basically right. Thanks Narkis.
------------
------------
My LPs
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Yep, you were right, other than a couple details that you'd have to be a local to know.

Hey logicomix, happy with my new avatar? ;)
Logicomix
Redshirt

Post by Logicomix »

Narkis wrote:ghetto edit: Got an idiot's blood pressure to rise. It was a nice day. :D
Narkis wrote:Hey logicomix, happy with my new avatar? ;)
Why do idiots always assume a person posting swear words on the Internet HAS to be physically or emotionally upset or angry in real life? :roll: That would actually mean I have made thanas cry a few times by now.
Are you so fucking stupid you honestly think that while I was writing that post I was sweating and banging away on my keyboard? I bet you are. I'm 100% certain of it. Also, your Greek are atrocious at best. Are you even Greek? :roll: I highly doubt it.
Anyway, here's a tip: More often than not a person who has (truly) lost his temper would make many syntax, grammatical, and spelling errors - much like thanas. Then again, thanas is an idiot who STILL thinks I called you Charilaos Florakis to mock or insult you.

I love your new avatar and I hope that you keep it forever :lol: (thanks for asking).
I even took a screenshot of your avatar because I think it would be a shame to lose such a "gem", if you ever decide to change it back into something less retarded.
Here you go:
I hope you like mine. I would like to dedicate it to thanas because this is what I've been giving him all this time, and he has loved every minute of it like a true lady.
Ryan Thunder wrote:I plugged his drivel into Google Translate just for laughs. Here's what I got

That's what everyone else did - including narkis. I'm pretty sure that if I plug your drivel into Google Translate, hilarity will ensue. This is how GT works basically. FYI narkis' Greek are pathetic, and I'm being extremely lenient with him. The only reason he managed to make a bit more sense than the rest is because he is vaguely familiar with some of the names I mentioned.
Thanas wrote:Oh crap, I thought Florakis was an intentional misspelling of Narkis for some purpose I did not get. Now I get it. So, my apologies to logicomix. He did not misspell Narkis name, he just called him a communist outright.
Edit: Also, Golden Dawn is a website.....
No, you fucking idiot, you STILL don't get it. You are way far from getting "it". I did not call narkis this man you've linked to, and the Golden Dawn is an ultra-nationalist (and IMO a criminal) organization. I don't doubt they have a website - who the fuck doesn't these days? After all, if morons such as yourself have figured out how to use the Internet who's to say the shitheads at Golden Dawn haven't? But Golden Dawn, like the NSM in the US, is far from being just a website.
Oh, I almost forgot. Apology accepted.
Thanas wrote:So....turns out I was basically right. Thanks Narkis.
What an objective and informative post! Thank you for letting us know you were right. That way, if anyone challenges what you have said, you can direct him to this post as proof that you were right. Right? :wink: Which brings us to the fact that you were wrong as I demonstrated above.
You know, you should be a race car driver. That way you can declare your own victories and world records even if you finish last. If you get killed in an accident, narkis can declare your victory in his broken Greek, and I will bring the champagne for the party. You can be the Idi Amin Dada of sports. :wink:
You are truly an amazingly retarded individual thanas, and I would love to meet you in real life and buy you a beer only to watch you repeatedly spill it all over yourself as you desperately try to drink it. :lol:

p.s
Like my emoticons? I wish I had another way of showing you how much I'm enjoying this.
Looking forward to your lame answer thanas. Don't disappoint me. Give me something to laugh at little buddy.