Darth Maul to make a return in CW.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Darth Maul to make a return in CW.

Post by Enigma »

Darth Maul Lives!
Darth Maul Lives! And he's coming to 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' this spring-VIDEO EXCLUSIVE
by Christian Blauvelt

He’s alive!

That’s right. As unlikely as it may seem, Darth Maul, the glowering Sith warrior who fell to Obi-Wan Kenobi’s blade at the end of Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace actually survived being cut in half and will return to George Lucas’s still unfolding space saga on Cartoon Network’s Star Wars: The Clone Wars (read our recaps here!) in spring 2012.

With his red-and-black tattooed face, Bronson-esque stoicism, Dervish-like mixed martial-arts moves (courtesy of Ray Park), and legendary double-bladed lightsaber—the coolest birthday present for 10-year-old boys in the summer of 1999—Maul was easily the most striking character in The Phantom Menace. (TPM is due to be released in theaters with a 3-D facelift February 10, 2012). And he only had three lines in the movie! Maul was a blunt instrument, a weapon of pure aggression to carry out the bidding of ūber Sith Lord Darth Sidious (a.k.a the future Emperor Palpatine), when he wasn’t yet ready to emerge from the shadows. Think of Maul like the Star Wars equivalent of Daniel Craig’s Bond. Only, did we mention he had a frickin’ double-bladed lightsaber?

When he was vivisected courtesy of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Maul immediately took his place among pop culture figures who’d also been cut in half: Bishop in Aliens, Quint in Jaws, Tony Goldwyn in Ghost, the Black Dahlia. Needless to say, we never expected to see him again, right?

Wrong! Last January a Clone Wars arc featuring a relative of Maul’s, the duped, sympathetic Nightbrother of Dathomir Savage Opress teased a hazy image of Maul in a crystal ball. Did this mean the former Sith Warrior was still alive? Indeed, and EW’s got an exclusive video first look at Maul’s animated form. Take a walk on the Dark Side and check it out after the break:

“I found it funny in The Phantom Menace when Darth Maul got cut in half,” Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni says. “I thought George was definitively saying to the fans, ‘There’s no way this character is coming back. This is not a Boba Fett/Sarlacc Pit situation where, because of fan love, Boba gets out of that thing any number of ways.’ Fast-forward ten-years, and I’m the one to bring Maul back.”

Well, mostly. Filoni acknowledges that the order to resurrect the Sith Lord came from George Lucas himself, who became more interested in his Phantom Menace creation while developing Savage Opress for the last season of The Clone Wars. Awesome as Maul was in the movie, he barely got to do anything before the old chop-chop. When asked if Maul’s return is motivated by the feeling that he was underutilized in The Phantom Menace, Filoni says, “I think in part.”

Filoni's biggest challenge, though, will come from the legions of fans ready to shout “No way!” at the very idea of a Maul return. But addressing the (un)believability of his survival could make for some interesting drama. “First of all, how does he survive getting cut in half?” says Filoni. “Plus, he fell! And also, don’t forget Obi-Wan Kenobi is still around, so I’m sure Maul wouldn’t be very happy with him.”

Fans will note that there is precedent for this kind of resurrection. “The Dark Side of the Force is the path to many abilities some consider to be…unnatural,” Darth Sidious says in Revenge of the Sith. Sidious and his master found a way to use the Force to cheat death—that’s how he was able to keep Vader alive after that little swan dive into a lava field. Couldn’t Maul have picked up on some of that too? Says Filoni, “He’s suffered through a lot to keep himself alive and implemented the training of his master to do so.”

Once you get beyond the plausibility issues, what’s left is actually an amazing storytelling opportunity. The Clone Wars has featured other characters from the movies, but mostly original trilogy stalwarts like Chewbacca, Tarkin, and Ackbar. Those are all characters whose fates have already been decided. “Here, we’re moving forward with Maul,” Filoni says. “He’s more than ten years older than he was in The Phantom Menace. That’s immensely satisfying, because now nobody knows what’s going to happen to him. I know, but nobody else does.”

Who said all the biggest Star Wars stories have already been told? Fellow fanatics, are you going to hop along for the ride this spring? Until then, keep yourself up to date on all the latest Clone Wars news here. And every Friday night a new Clone Wars episode airs, watch it with us on viEWer!
Personally, I preferred if Maul stayed dead. I guess Maul had a comic book death.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: Darth Maul to make a return in CW.

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I have mixed feelings. He was my favorite prequel character, despite having no characterization, but I also hate it when people are killed off only to be resurrected by ass-pull.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

It's now official, Star Wars continuity is on the same level as a comic book.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Jesus wept.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Does this mean he'll get the Boba Fett treatment and progress from a cool-looking but flat character into a pathetic fanboy-baiting phenomenon?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Awesome. This only reenforces my prediction that they'll bring back Mace Windu in the live-action show. :lol:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Does this mean he'll get the Boba Fett treatment and progress from a cool-looking but flat character into a pathetic fanboy-baiting phenomenon?
Possibly.

My position is that this doesn't single-handidly ruin the show, but that its hard to imagine any way they could pull this off that isn't stupid. The most obvious answer (given this is Star Wars) would be for it to be a clone of the original Maul. There's a load of precedent for that in Star Wars already.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, at least it would be consistent with the existing continuity and hence no more absurd than loads of things that have gone before.
CrateriaA
Youngling

Post by CrateriaA »

Wasn't there some yellow version of Darth Maul? I figure it's a different person, but still... :wtf:
"Who knew the Dark Side of the Force was so anti-free market?"
"He's gonna pull a Will Smith and flip-turn America upside down!!!"-Me on Herman Cain's 999 Tax Plan
I'LL GET OVER IT, I'LL GET OVER IT
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

CrateriaA wrote:Wasn't there some yellow version of Darth Maul? I figure it's a different person, but still... :wtf:
Yeah, there was a Sith-trained warrior from the same background who showed up last season. He was absurdly overpowered and had a really stupid name.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Good Christ, Entertainment Weekly is a terrible fucking magazine. But it's no surprise that this would happen at some point- Maul was popular enough for comics, books, and all that despite being a complete cipher of a character. Boba Fett got brought back too.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

So did Palpatine.

In conclusion, on-screen death is a mild setback in Star Wars.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Does that mean we may now call him Darth Maw?

People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Meh, they already brought him back from the dead in a few Tales comics or something.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Yeah, this isn't his first ressurection. He was brought back by the Prophets of the Dark Side in order to FIGHT VADER because they SAW THE GOOD IN VADER and needed a true BADARSED SITH like Maul to be Palpy's second. Because of PRECOG, they knew about the end of RotJ, OF COURSE.
It was pretty much fanwhore-uber-wankery over Maul, I wouldn't be surprised if his new incarnation will be any less ridiculous.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You are vastly misremembering this. Palpy instructed them to clone Maul in order to find out if such a clone would be a better apprentice. No RotJ involved there.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Galvatron wrote:Awesome. This only reenforces my prediction that they'll bring back Mace Windu in the live-action show. :lol:
I can only fucking hope so! :D

I am all for this. I really enjoyed the way they brought Maul back in that one non-canon comic. No longer caring about the Jedi or the Sith, but existing only to hunt Obi-Wan and seek revenge, taking the Jedi Sith dynamic to a literal Jedi and Sith level, when neither were what they once were.

There is also no reason why he would necessarily have died from either the cutting in half (lightsabers cauterize) or the fall, something Jedi and Sith routinely survive. Also, is getting your waist down chopped off and falling down a hole and living any more ridiculous then getting your legs and an arm chopped off and living after you catch on fire?

IIRC, Maul's infiltrator was never discovered so he may have been able to signal for some droid help from his ship.

I hope they steer clear of the overtly "monster" lower body and just do a cloned/bionic getup though. We don't need more allusions to the man into machine motif as there is already Greivous to fill that gap.

I also hope, and he better get an EPIC AS FUCK second death. I'm talking confronting Obi-Wan, Mace, Anakin, Dooku, Greivous, Palpatine and whoever else all at the same time. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
CrateriaA
Youngling

Post by CrateriaA »

Havok wrote: snip
As awesome as the potential for all that (ok, maybe not all that :) ) could be, it can easily be messed up by the show's writers if they don't use it well.

Though personally I'm not a big fan for bringing people back from the death. We'll just have to see what happens.
"Who knew the Dark Side of the Force was so anti-free market?"
"He's gonna pull a Will Smith and flip-turn America upside down!!!"-Me on Herman Cain's 999 Tax Plan
I'LL GET OVER IT, I'LL GET OVER IT
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Havok wrote:
Galvatron wrote:Awesome. This only reenforces my prediction that they'll bring back Mace Windu in the live-action show. :lol:
I can only fucking hope so! :D

I am all for this. I really enjoyed the way they brought Maul back in that one non-canon comic. No longer caring about the Jedi or the Sith, but existing only to hunt Obi-Wan and seek revenge, taking the Jedi Sith dynamic to a literal Jedi and Sith level, when neither were what they once were.

There is also no reason why he would necessarily have died from either the cutting in half (lightsabers cauterize) or the fall, something Jedi and Sith routinely survive. Also, is getting your waist down chopped off and falling down a hole and living any more ridiculous then getting your legs and an arm chopped off and living after you catch on fire?

IIRC, Maul's infiltrator was never discovered so he may have been able to signal for some droid help from his ship.

I hope they steer clear of the overtly "monster" lower body and just do a cloned/bionic getup though. We don't need more allusions to the man into machine motif as there is already Greivous to fill that gap.

I also hope, and he better get an EPIC AS FUCK second death. I'm talking confronting Obi-Wan, Mace, Anakin, Dooku, Greivous, Palpatine and whoever else all at the same time. :D
I'll be happy if he just gets an epic round two with Kenobi. He shouldn't go down easily, but really... he had trouble with Kenobi as a Padawan. I doubt he can beat Kenobi in his prime. Kenobi and Anakin together? Curb stomp.

Though, it'd be cool to see Windu vs Maul. Windu hasn't had a lightsaber duel yet on the show so far as I can recall, so I think its only fitting he get a chance to show off his skills.

I just hope he doesn't get taken out by Ashoka. Not that I don't like Ashoka, but she is just a Padawan, and I'm a bit irritated by her repeatedly surviving fights with foes who should be way out of her league (ie Ventress, Grievous).
TheSpaceman?
Youngling

Post by TheSpaceman? »

I actually kinda like this. Maul was a Sith but he barely spoke or showed any signs of characterization, so I really don't think his death is sacred and needs to be retained. It was already lame so might as well give him a chance to redeem himself as a character or at least an interesting plot device.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I think that's why he needs to stay dead, because if he gets a halfway decent characterization in the series, it'll only manage to make the PT look worse for wasting him and keeping uninteresting losers like Gunray around.

OK, that's rather abstract, I admit.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Metahive wrote:I think that's why he needs to stay dead, because if he gets a halfway decent characterization in the series, it'll only manage to make the PT look worse for wasting him and keeping uninteresting losers like Gunray around.

OK, that's rather abstract, I admit.
I'm not sure it'll make the Prequels as a whole look worse. It'll make Phantom Menace look worse. But Phantom Menace sucks pretty badly as it is.