Captain Kirk weighs in on the debate

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Captain Kirk weighs in on the debate

Post by VF5SS »

William Shatner Revives the "Star Trek vs. Star Wars" debate.
The debate of Star Trek versus Star Wars was once the primordial fire that forged the Internet, but it’s long since been doused by years of disappointment with both franchises, its smoldering embers scattered to form burning affections for newer geek devotions. But leave it to William Shatner to come and poke at it with a stick, and start puffing all over it to see if he can get it started again. Readying himself for battle, Shatner donned his very serious Affliction shirt and posted the following video to his YouTube channel, in which he comes out—surprise—firmly on the side of the franchise that’s given him all those designer tees and YouTube channel subscribers in the first place. To wit, to Shat, “Star Trek had relationships and conflict among the relationships, and stories that involved humanity and philosophical questions,” he says, whereas Star Wars was just about the “special effects.” (But what about the trade regulations?!)

Visibly grimacing every time he simply says the words “Star Wars,” he derides its hollowness so deep that he imagines Industrial Light And Magic engineered everything right down to the costumes—and now that J.J. Abrams has been “piling on the special effects” with his take on the franchise, “Star Wars has nothing to stand on.” And while he also says Star Trek has hotter ladies, Shatner does, however, reserve some kind words for Princess Leia, which is to say he gets sort of creepy about the idea of his Captain Kirk and Princess Leia riding off into the sunset and forming “the perfect union,” complete with hand motion, and thereby bringing peace to the imaginary galaxies. So if William Shatner and Carrie Fisher finally do it, we can stop talking about this? Maybe that can be a panel at next year's Comic-Con. [via Vulture]

Nice shirt, Bill.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: Captain Kirk weighs in on the debate

Post by Stofsk »

Admit it- this would have been awesome.
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Destructionator XIII wrote:I love Shatner. The guy knows he's ridiculous, he knows these topics are ridiculous... and he loves it!

I was thinking of my favorite actors the other day. Patrick Stewart, very talented. But my fav... William Shatner. The guy is great, ridiculous, and fantastic.

Similarly, I really like Arnold Schwarzenegger for many of the same reasons. These guys aren't afraid to make fun of themselves and their works.
I 100% agree with you on both actors. They play larger than life characters who are so out there that they can only exist in fantasy, but in real life they are just as awesome.
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

I love the image in the original article:
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Wait. Is there a due in the back cosplaying as neelix?

Why would you do that?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Some sick, sick Trekkie must have a thing for Talaxians. Probably they wanted to be unique, how many Talaxian "captains" can you expect to see at a con?

While the Talaxian is 'odd', what's the deal with "Sulu" blowing the Stormtroopers kisses?
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

FedRebel wrote:While the Talaxian is 'odd', what's the deal with "Sulu" blowing the Stormtroopers kisses?
Could be a George Takei reference...

Just sayin'. :wink:
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
HMS Conqueror
Crybaby

Post by HMS Conqueror »

What I want to know is how William Shatner doesn't seem to become any older as time goes on, just fatter.
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

Like Carrie Fisher?
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Enola Straight wrote:Like Carrie Fisher?
[img]-*SNIP*-[/img]
Holy fucking what the fuck! Is that some sort of parody where she's wearing a fat suit?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

She actually looks more like Jabba than Leia these days...
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Looking at the Youtube footage of the interview, that's got to be photoshopped- she's clearly gained a lot of weight, but not nearly that much along the jawline.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Yeah. Definitely shopped. See her response video.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
mutanthamster
Redshirt

Post by mutanthamster »

When I was at college I thought that Carrie Fisher was so hot. Be fair, she still looks good.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

And here's Shatner's next volley.

"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

George Takei just said (on facebook) that he'd be weighing in on the subject with a video of his own soon. Considering his sense of humor (he's the only celebrity I follow on FB) I can't wait.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

And here it is!
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

Holy cow, Shattner has really pumped himself up! Anyone here want to guesstimate how much kinetic energy an impact from Kirk's fist could impart? :lol:
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Boeing 757 wrote:Holy cow, Shattner has really pumped himself up! Anyone here want to guesstimate how much kinetic energy an impact from Kirk's fist could impart? :lol:
Not enough to penetrate the shields of an ISD that can withstand 200 gigaton turbolaser shots.

Concession accepted :D

Incidentally, you forgot to say "assuming his fist is a spherical mass of iron..."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Interestingly, on his topic of targeting Twilight, there actually has been a debate about that topic(In this case it was specifically Twilight Vampires vs the Jedi) here: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144324
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

...and Shatner replies to Takei...

He NEEDS retribution. :twisted: