NBC Republican Debate @ the Reagan Dome

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

NBC Republican Debate @ the Reagan Dome

Post by Mr Bean »

Watch it live http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 7#44427027
Will be doing feedback as warranted.

First note Governor Perry is attending.
Second note
95% of all jobs are above minimum wage, next obvious how FAR above minimum wage?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Steel
Jedi Master

Re: NBC Republican Debate @ the Reagan Dome

Post by Steel »

Mr Bean wrote:95% of all jobs are above minimum wage, next obvious how FAR above minimum wage?
Do you mean minimum or average there? Because you cant sell "Only 5% of jobs pay a wage so low as to be illegal!" as a positive thing in a sane world.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Steel wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:95% of all jobs are above minimum wage, next obvious how FAR above minimum wage?
Do you mean minimum or average there? Because you cant sell "Only 5% of jobs pay a wage so low as to be illegal!" as a positive thing in a sane world.
It's not illegal to be exactly at minimum wage.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

This debate has been illuminating as the knives come out while Gingrich pretends to be above the fray so far.
Lots of comments to come once this thing is over.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Mr Bean wrote:This debate has been illuminating as the knives come out while Gingrich pretends to be above the fray so far.
It's hard to watch honestly. Not one of them sounds intelligent, let alone worth voting for. They're repeating "States rights!" and sprinting to the right as fast as they can.
Aniron
Padawan Learner

Post by Aniron »

Block wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:This debate has been illuminating as the knives come out while Gingrich pretends to be above the fray so far.
It's hard to watch honestly. Not one of them sounds intelligent, let alone worth voting for. They're repeating "States rights!" and sprinting to the right as fast as they can.
I stopped watching after 20 minutes because everything is a talking point with these people. Bachmann said Obamacare costs jobs but never elaborated on why: she just mentioned a personal story. Ron Paul continues to show his lunacy about government regulation.

My favorite parts, however, are the information tidbits that pop up on the screen. How is the fact that Bachmann cared for 23 foster children relevant?
So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Oh for the love of... Perry wants the Fed to send troops to secure the border, yet they want funding cuts all over the place. Seriously, you can't make this shit up.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Block wrote:Oh for the love of... Perry wants the Fed to send troops to secure the border, yet they want funding cuts all over the place. Seriously, you can't make this shit up.
National Guard Troops are securing the border already.

Any of them bring up that Perry cut the volunteer firefighter budget in Texas by 75% yet? :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Flagg wrote:
Block wrote:Oh for the love of... Perry wants the Fed to send troops to secure the border, yet they want funding cuts all over the place. Seriously, you can't make this shit up.
National Guard Troops are securing the border already.

Any of them bring up that Perry cut the volunteer firefighter budget in Texas by 75% yet? :lol:
Oh I know they are, but he wants 3000 more to be sent, and the money for when they're on active duty long term comes from the federal government in one way or another. Bachmann's answer to the immigration question was not at all related to the question.
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Block wrote:
There's nothing wrong with "states' rights" inherently-the US is a federal republic after all-and no states rights does not trump the right of the states to deny people basic personal and civil rights.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Gingrich is some what impressive at times
Ron Paul is waaaaaaaaaaay out there as in "They will use the border fence to keep us in!"
Cain is getting shut down, he tried to break in nearly a dozen times by my count and the moderators are not letting him get in.

Romeny and his Utah Governor friend are physically hard to tell apart at times I saw Hunstman speaking and thought it was Romoney for a second.
Aniron wrote: I stopped watching after 20 minutes because everything is a talking point with these people.
The back and forth is the best bits.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

dude you expected anything else from Bachmann? She's more non-sequitor than ME, and I've got aspergers.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

One of the most critical questions for Mr. Perry going into this debate was how he would handle his past comments about Social Security, which he called a "failure" and a "Ponzi scheme."

His decision? Double down on the criticism in the face of questioning.

Mr. Perry tried to argue that he does not want to "go back and change 70 years" of the program. But he repeated his claim that it is a "monstrous lie" to tell young people that the program will be there for them.

But if Mr. Perry thought that he could explain his comments away that way, Mr. Romney was having none of it. In one of the most direct attacks yet, Mr. Romney accused Mr. Perry of telling "tens of millions of Americans" that Social Security is a failure.

"Our nominee has to be someone who isn't committed to abolish Social Security but is committed to saving Social Security," Mr. Romney said. "I will never say by any measure it is a failure."
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

General Mung Beans wrote:
Block wrote:
There's nothing wrong with "states' rights" inherently-the US is a federal republic after all-and no states rights does not trump the right of the states to deny people basic personal and civil rights.
There's a lot wrong with state's rights in the way that they mean them.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

General Mung Beans wrote:
Block wrote:
States rights is a dogwhistle term used to wink at the racists and secessionists.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Jon Huntsman taking a strong stand for science and opposing global warming denialism.

Perry responds with bullshit on risking the economy by accepting global warming, claiming that the science is "not settled".
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Lord Zentei wrote:Jon Huntsman taking a strong stand for science and opposing global warming denialism.

Perry responds with bullshit on risking the economy by accepting global warming, claiming that the science is "not settled".
and more scaremongering from Bachmann.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Further notes
They never mentioned the fact that Texas is on fire and Perry cut all the firefighter funding I'm surprised.

Ron Paul came off as pretty likable in the previous debates but he's in full Conspiracy Theorist mode this debate

Love the last second cut away to Ms Reagan, wow she's not looking well

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Huntsman and Perry were the most charismatic during this debate. No prizes for guessing that I'm rooting for the former of the two to get the nod, though I'm increasingly concerned that we might be seeing candidate Perry for 2012.

Bachmann and Ron Paul came off as crazies, and Cain stumbled.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Just got out of the control room. The bags of candy helped quell my brain from wanting to leap out of my skull and punch Rick Perry in his smug face.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

No donuts Dalton?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

PainRack wrote:No donuts Dalton?
That's for AM specials.
To Absent Friends

The Yosemite Bear

they are letting you play with Anti Matter Rob?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:they are letting you play with Anti Matter Rob?
Michael Steele and Pat Buchanan are MSNBC analysts. We've got experience.
To Absent Friends

The Yosemite Bear

glad to see even after all this you haven't lost your sense of humour. (yes, I'm becoming anglophibed, too much BBC which my fundy, mormon, fox watching roomie hates, almost as much as he hates me watching msnbc.)