Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by PeZook »

No, you have no outstanding milestones, so the lunar pass will have only the normal -1 penalty.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Peyre, on Sourceforge wrote:As far as I'm aware, the only steps rolled against the A- or B-Kicker is TLI, Trans-Lunar Injection.
But I'm not so sure; my copy of Liftoff lists the following steps in a Lunar Pass as "Capsule or Kicker" which is rolled against the kicker if present.
  • Earth Orbital Burn (Orbital Insertion Burn)
  • Earth Mission Burn (Trans-Lunar Injection)
  • Lunar Mission Burn (Trans-Earth Injection)
  • Earth Orbital Burn (Orbital Insertion Burn)
And add the Lunar Orbital Insertion Burn to that list for a Manned Lunar Orbital.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Hi troops,

ChaserGrey here, broadcasting from Hour 19-20 without sleep. Going to hit the rack now, but I'm going to be working on an investor presentation tomorrow and Friday, then doing the presentation Saturday. Soonest I can come up with a plan is Sunday. Sorry for the delay but that's how it is.

If someone else wants to offer a plan for the Director's rubberst- I mean, approval, go for it, or if the Director has the time or inclination to step in, by all means. I have some ideas but too scattered to draw them together.

Failing that- wish me luck, see you Sunday.
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Nods respectfully to Chaser]

Unnamed MASA Engineer, maybe?

Barnes? You still with us?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I can throw something together in my Unnamed MASA Engineer guise if you're not too worried about conflict of interest. I'd try to do my best though.

Will have to wait for the morning, though, I'm seriously tired right now.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Mr. Grey awoke in his quarters to find a man in a squirrel suit staring at him. It was Fax Modem.

"Assignment completed, now what?"
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Teddy Space Center
January 1971
All-Hands Meeting

Unnamed MASA Engineer was up on stage in the main auditorium, and everyone was staring at him. It felt very, very weird. He'd always been one of the starers. He was behind the podium. That was wrong too. Everything about this felt wrong. No matter. He tapped the microphone - just once - and began to speak.

"Gentlemen! Well, some of you are, anyway. As you may have heard, through an increasingly bizarre chain of events, I have been catapulted - however temporarily - into the top spot, despite persistent rumors of ties to known Commienists. And I mean actual members of the Commienist Party of the Zenobian Onion. It is indeed a quite unusual set of circumstances. However, as you well know, MASA is my middle name, and I'm not going to let you down.

"The Zenobians - " Engineer looked around quickly to see if there were any members of the press in the room - "The Zenobians have backed us into an awkward position. Despite the successes with the Hermes spaceplane, of which we can be justifiably proud, the Commienists have the lead in several important areas. Top secret intelligence - this is not from those bunglers and idiots at the CIA - indicate that the Zenobians have major advantages in the following areas:

"1. Orbital docking maneuvers. Our information indicates that their technology and skill in this area is close to being as good as it gets. This is a major issue for us; we have to catch up here or the race is lost. We will need several successful tests before being able to conduct landings.

"2. Heavy-lift rockets. We still have as of yet little information about the Zenobians' new super-heavy rocket, or whether or not it is remotely near operational. However, we're worse off - preliminary design work on the Saturn V has been underway for some time, but no metal has been cut. This will be an expensive one. It is however necessary.

"3. Lunar probes. As we know, the Zenobians have been the first to soil the moon's surface with a probe soft landing. This gives them not only valuable experience in manned soft landings (OOC note: there is not actually a tech transfer for starting a lunar lander with a lunar probe at high safety factor.), but also valuable information on the lunar surface for later landings. This has also given them valuable experience which will help them complete circumlunar flights safely.

"4. Booster modules. The Zenobians are apparently very close to having a rocket stage ready to send one of their craft to the moon. Whether it will be their spaceplane, which is projected to enter service later this year, or their rumored "Zond" moon-ship, is as of yet unknown. I have a bad feeling that we'll find out soon, though.

"We are in a very tough position. The choice of the heavier TLI booster stage for the Hermes requires us to build a Saturn V to make a manned circumlunar flight. This means we have two mutually exclusive priorities - the Saturn V for manned lunar missions, and docking experience. If we prioritize orbital docking this year, the Zenobians may be able to fly both a circumlunar pass and then a manned lunar orbital before we are able to do any of that, and it's hard enough to wring a budget out of Congress without being behind in everything. On the other hand, if we prioritize the Saturn V and circumlunar flights, we may be able to beat the Zenobians to a manned lunar orbital flight; however, this will require us to sacrifice progress in docking. We may end up being all dressed up with nowhere to go.

"Speaking of which, there's a final factor which has to be considered - the lunar module. The same decision which has committed us to the Saturn V has committed us to Grummang's cheaper and more useful LM proposal. We still have problems though - starting development now would get us ahead of the Zenobians in that field - I've seen reports showing that they have yet to start any such program themselves - but that would drain the rest of our budget for this year and leave us not better placed to begin the Saturn V in 1972. We're in between a rock and a hard place, gentlemen - anyone want my job?"

Teddy Space Center
Office of U.M. Engineer

Engineer sighed. Now he knew why the Director drank so much, and why Grey drank so much, and why Houston drank so much. He was currently predicting the loss of the entire MASA engineer corps to cirrhosis of the liver.

Regardless, he'd worked out some plans:

Engineer's MASA Plan #1 - Spring 1971
Priorities: Docking, Saturn V in 1972, some Kicker-B

Budget: 128 MB

Hardware Purchase
3x Titan (36 MB)
1x Ranger (5 MB)
2x Booster (8 MB)
1x Docking Module (3 MB)
Total: 52 MB.

Remaining budget: 76 MB

Research & Development

5x teams on Kicker-B (10 MB)

Remaining budget: 66 MB

Astronaut Management:

Recruit Astronaut Group IV: 15 MB

Assign the following crews to the Hermes program:

Crew II: HAISE/ANDERS/MAY
Crew V: LOOPY/COLLINS/SUITCASE
Crew VI: RAVENSBURG/EISELE/SWIGERT

If they have issues with each other, tell them to take it up with Maximilian von Shapp. We need crews to fly, so I don't think it really matters if they fly once and quit or fly never and quit.

Remaining Budget: 51 MB

Mission Scheduling:
Pad A: Manned Orbital Docking (Orbit) EVA Duration-D (Crew II Primary, Crew VI Backup)
Pad B: Manned Orbital Docking (Orbit) EVA Duration-D (Crew V Primary, Crew III Backup)

Sacrosanct Hardware Budget for Fall 1971: 32 MB
Remaining Unallocated Budget for Fall 1971: 19 MB

Mission Go/No-Go Status:
We are GO for all missions.

Engineer's MASA Plan #2 - Spring 1971
Priorities: Saturn V Soonest

Hardware Purchase
1x Saturn V (90 MB)

Remaining budget: 38 MB

Research & Development

5x teams on Saturn V (30 MB)

Remaining budget: 8 MB

Astronaut Management:

No actions taken.

Mission Scheduling:
No missions for Fall 1971.

Mission Go/No-Go Status:
SCRUB all missions. Saturn V eats the budget.

Remaining Budget for Fall 1971: 8 MB

Engineer's MASA Plan #3 - Spring 1971
Priorities: Docking, Eagle lander, some Kicker-B research

Hardware Purchase
3x Titan (36 MB)
1x Ranger (5 MB)
2x Booster (8 MB)
1x Eagle (30 MB)
1x Docking Module (3 MB)
Total: 82 MB.

Remaining budget: 46 MB

Research & Development

5x teams on Eagle (10 MB)

Remaining budget: 26 MB

Astronaut Management:

Do not recruit astronauts at this time.

If they have issues with each other, tell them to take it up with Maximilian von Shapp. We need crews to fly, so I don't think it really matters if they fly once and quit or fly never and quit.

Remaining Budget: 26 MB

Mission Scheduling:

Pad B: Manned Orbital Docking (Orbit) EVA Duration-D (Crew V Primary, Crew II Backup)

Sacrosanct Hardware Budget for Fall 1971: 16 MB
Remaining Unallocated Budget for Fall 1971: 10 MB

Mission Go/No-Go Status:

Engineer's MASA Plan #4 - Spring 1971
Priorities: Docking, Saturn V in 1972, some Kicker-B
Notes: This plan cuts back one docking flight to make more funds available for Saturn V in 1972.

Hardware Purchase
3x Titan (36 MB)
1x Ranger (5 MB)
2x Booster (8 MB)
1x Docking Module (3 MB)

Research & Development

Astronaut Management:

Recruit Astronaut Group IV: 15 MB

Remaining Budget: 51 MB

Mission Scheduling:
Pad A: Manned Orbital Docking (Orbit) EVA Duration-D (Crew II Primary, Crew V Backup)

Remaining Unallocated Budget for Fall 1971: 35 MB

Mission Go/No-Go Status:

Engineer's MASA Plan #5 - Spring 1971
Priorities: Docking, Saturn V in 1972
Notes: Derived from Plan #4, this plan also cuts back astronaut recruiting to make more funds available for Saturn V in 1972. I don't want to cut the Kicker, not totally, because the Saturn V won't be much use without it.

Hardware Purchase
3x Titan (36 MB)
1x Ranger (5 MB)
2x Booster (8 MB)
1x Docking Module (3 MB)

Research & Development

Astronaut Management:

Remaining Budget: 66 MB

Mission Scheduling:
Pad A: Manned Orbital Docking (Orbit) EVA Duration-D (Crew II Primary, Crew V Backup)

Remaining Unallocated Budget for Fall 1971: 50 MB

Mission Go/No-Go Status:

Addendum: I think docking modules stay up for a year after they are launched; you can launch one, and schedule (orbit) missions the season after they go up, so you can get a bit more mileage out of them.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Heh, yes- although Heaven help you if something goes wrong with the docking module launch you're counting on to supply modules for later flights.

Good to see my plan format being adopted... ;)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fax remembered that his 'package' needed air. He went outside as planes flew by, turning on Von Evilstein's air supply. The man did not look happy. The Agent wondered what Johnny Von Braun would think of this, a former Thanasian, who served with the Communoids, and was now a Murcan prisoner. Less than that, he was a exhibit from the sleeping gas being filtered in the chamber. Something was wrong with the old design, as it used both Thanasian and Zenobian parts, half of which weren't compatible with the other half, so most of the frame's interior was taken up by overly redundant machinery. This meant that the captive or 'passenger' inside could not lay down, only sit, and that was if their legs were laid out straight in front of them. With metal clamps on the arms, legs, and torso, the man could not move if he were to awaken.

The design was obviously Thanasian, but the Zenobians had apparently found use of them, and so had Agent Squirrel.

Spoiler
Grey, Eternal Freedom, meet your new toy.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

U.M. Engineer recommends Plan #4 for adoption at this time if no others are considered.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

All right, since we seem to have a bit of downtime, perhaps it's time for the Zenobians to start planning ahead...

It's time for Mishingun's Five Year Plan!

1972: Our current projected budget is 104 MB. I'm going to use this to take into account the possibility of a failure in one of the manned launches scheduled for the fall, which would roughly balance out the prestige gain of the success of the other manned flight. They might both succeed, but it won't hurt to be conservative now and accelerate later when we know what is possible. However, some risky steps may be taken - which in turn may have to be pushed back. This is a study of what will be possible within the budget.

So at the start of 1972, what will we need to accomplish before landing a man on the moon? If the lunar pass is a success, we will have the following left to do:
  • Fly a Duration D mission
  • Accomplish a manned lunar orbital - which would require no further R&D
  • Test a lunar lander - requiring the development of the lander, as well as completing development of the N1
Therefore, though it breaks Mishingun's heart, N1 development should be further delayed to 1973 to allow funds for developing a lunar lander, since the N1 isn't necessary without it and the LM will take longer to develop.

Goals for 1972:
Fly a Duration D mission
Complete Manned Lunar Orbital - with Zond
Start Duet and research
Increase reliability of Lapot

Starting the Duet in 1972 and doing max research for two seasons will cost 55 MB, which will leave ~50 MB for other tasks in 1972.
A Lunar Orbital should be scheduled for Fall 1972, since the crews for it will not be available until Spring 1972 anyway. This will cost 28 MB.

This leaves only 11 MB for Lapot, though the unallocated budget from 1971 (15 MB) should cover any remaining research necessary. Therefore we should schedule a Lapot Duration D flight for Fall 1972, before the Voskhod flight, since we don't have spare crews to fly the Lapot in Spring 1972. This has its risks, but I hope to avoid having push the lunar orbital flight back into 1973.

Hopefully by now we will have successfully flown a lunar orbital. That leaves us with the following goals:

Improve Lapot reliability
Bring N1 close to Max R&D
Bring Duet close to Max R&D.

Still assuming the same budget of ~105 MB (which should likely be higher by now):

R&D on N1 and Duet will cost a total of 80 MB. They should be quite close to Max R&D by the end of 1973.
That leaves us with money for 3 Lapot flights on R-7s. If we have more money available, Lapot flights should be increased accordingly.
It may be possible to do a Manned Orbital LM test in Fall 1973, on the N1. This will give us one LM point; we need three to earn the failure prevention. A lunar orbital LM test earns two.

1974:

This will be the target date for the lunar landing - in the Fall.
By this time Lapot reliability should be good enough for lunar flights; therefore, a Lapot lunar orbital LM test should be scheduled for Spring 1974. This will give us the 3 LM points to avoid a failure. (We don't strictly need these, but it could help...)

The LM test and the Landing will cost 38 MB each, for a total of 76 MB. This should leave room in the budget for remaining research on N1 and Duet if necessary, as well as further Lapot flights for maximum reliability. We might also consider unmanned Lapot lunar passes to improve Kicker reliability if funds are available - one costs 22 MB.

So that's not exactly five years, but what can I say, we're fulfilling the goals of the Five-Year plan in Three! That's always good, right?
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

The problem with your plan Comrade, is it assumes no major game changing disasters.

Need I remind you we're playing BARIS?
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

True; it is a Five Year Plan after all, so if it has to take five years then so be it. I think this may be the minimum schedule to get to the Moon, based on budgets and research requirements mainly. I thought it would be useful to try and figure out what we can do, how fast we can do it, and what order to do it in. That last point is probably the most important; figuring that out means that we can accelerate or delay the schedule as appropriate to circumstances, but we don't have to substantially deviate from it.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

In Zenobia, everything is bigger, even years!
Only great Zenobia can have a five-year plan that can be accomplished in three!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This is more or less what I'd had in mind- the big point being the need to get the lunar lander started soon, i.e. next year.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Man, you're gonna be seriously delayed :D

You guys do know you only have until 1977 to do the landing, right?

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I do.

A Soviet moon landing in 1974 is still pretty fast relative to how long it took them to do it historically. ;)

I see this as just an inevitable consequence of all the stuff we had to deal with to get this far- novice players, a few years squandered early on in the case of the Zenobians... you get the idea.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

As Director I am seriously considering enacting U.M. Engineer's Plan number 4, unless any of my staff have any major objections.
Spoiler
As of tomorrow morning (1000 GMT) I will be unavailable due to house moving shenanigans. If ChaserGrey has not replied by then with a better/alternate plan, then Plan 4 is to be adopted.

I will be back online (hopefully) by around about 1800 GMT on Friday. ChaserGrey, you're minding the farm again.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Okay, since the deadline is past, I will get on the update.

You should have it tomorrow morning.

ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

I'm going to try to peek in, but work and life make that very difficult right now. Bear with me please.
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

ChaserGrey wrote:Bear with me please.
We will. Oh yes, we will... :twisted:
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

MISSIONS LAUNCH
HERMES V, MARCH 1971

The Director stirred his whiskey in a very distinguished manner. Everybody knew Johny von Braun drank like a fish, but him bringing a drink into the launch control building was something new entirely.

In speech that was just slightly slurred, he greeted the engineers who prepared the unmanned Hermes V flight, and especially the Unnamed MASA Engineer, author of MASA's recent successes.

"Congratulashun...this flight eez...uh, a testament...testament to...something..."

Wehrner von Shapp appeared, as if from nowhere, and gently steered the director out ot he launch room floor. The mission could proceed.

It is a pretty awesome flight, thought the Unnamed MASA Engineer.

RANGER VII, APRIL 1971

"So, how much longer are we going to have to probe the moon? I'm tired of probing the Moon."

"Quit whining"

"Seriously, man. It's such a tease."

"Jeebus, man. We have half the checkout list to get through."

"Don't you just hate it when all you get is a tease? We should just violate it already."

The whining engineer was smacked on the head by the 800 page booster checkout procedure, "Focus!"

There was a pause. The smacking victim didn't move.

"Oh shit oh shit oh shit...get a medic! Somebody get a medic in here!"

There was much commotion and panic and thus, nobody noticed when the rocket ignited.

And because people were busy wheeling out a bleeding booster controller, nobody noticed a small and easily correctable problem in the fuel pumps.

HERMES VI, MAY 1971
"Gentlemangs! Today we accomplish incredible feats of Capitalist labors! With the power of the great robber baron spirit the Murcan people shall accomplish something that was never done before! We shall have a...MANNED RENDEZVOUS WITH AN ORBITING TARGET VEHICLE!"

The journalists listening to the presentation seemed skeptical, "But Mr. Porkins...", one of them asked the MASA press officer, "...didn't the Zenobians do exactly that like five times?"

"No. It was a commienist lie and propaganda. Nothing of the sort ever happened."

"But international tracking stations..."

"LIES AND PROPAGANDA! What is it with you goddamned journos and your lack of patriotism?!"

Porkins' sudden outburst had the opposite effect to what he intended to accomplish: it made the journos satisfied and smug instead of cowing them into submission. One guy snickered. The press officer managed to retain shreds of his dignity by not breaking down into tears before he was out of sight in the male bathroom.

All of that went pretty much unnoticed on the floor of the launch control bunker.

"All right Pete, we're almost there. Any last words?"

"Oh, what a smartass. I still owe a hundred bucks to you, so you better make this launch work."

"Well, you're about to find out. We're at T-15."

"Fourteen. Thirteen. Twelve. Eleven. Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Ignition sequence start. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two One...ignition."

"Liftoff! Pioneer has cleared the tower!"

"Good launch, good launch...engines operating at nominal parameters."

FIDO yawned. With nothing exploding on the way up, his job was quickly becoming boring. He got himself together, though: he wouldn't be replaced by some bulldog or rottweiller. No way, not before the moon landing.

With orbital insertion complete, the crew began their checkouts and other orbital activities. It didn't take long: their vehicle was rapidly catching up to the orbiting Agena docking vessel. Soon it was acquired by the rendezvous radar, tested so thoroughly during the earlier unmanned test.

"Pioneer, we have power up. Agena is ready to take you."

Something crackled in the radio channel. It sounded like a snicker.

"Uh copy that! Come on boys let's give her what she wants!"

More snickers followed, this time from the flight control crew. Their maturity and professionalism were always impeccable, after all.

"Coming up. Good radar lock. Let's get this mother lined up."

Everyone watched the telemetry feeds intently. Even the journos: the ships could collide, after all, delivering them material for the evening press.

"Hundred feet. Approach five per second. Ninety. Eighty...approach three per second. No problems, no problem."

There was a pause. A very long and very nervous pause.

"Uh, Pioneer?"

Still silence.

"Pioneer, come in."

"One moment, let us smoke one. We deserve it."

"Flight, I'm having contact lights."

"Yes! Woo! IN YOUR FACE, AGENA!"

Connoway got several disapproving looks from his crew.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fall 1968 status

Post by PeZook »

CHAPTER 10: THE CHROME AGE
Time is: Fall 1971

Launch windows: Mercury, Venus, Mars

MURCA
TEDDY SPACE CENTER
"Well...", Conrad said, puffing on a cigar, "...it was good, Max. Really good, the height of my career. I'll miss the space program."

"Woof!", Maximillian von Shapp answered solemnly

"Yeah, buddy. Those were great times we had together, great times. Tell you what, the next time you're in my area, give me a call. We'll grab a beer, talk, dream of old times!"

"Woof woof, bark!"

"Sure thing, me too! Well, time for me to go. See you later."

Conrad got up and patted the german shepherd before leaving his office. The dog sighed and shuffled some papers, signed a crew selection plan for the next month...but couldn't get his heart into it.

He pulled out a bottle of scotch from the drawer. He'd work tomorrow.

Code: Select all

Current funds: 51 megabucks

Astronauts in XMS-2 program:

Crew I:
OLDS - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 3 ; MOOD: 36 (Pilot)
GORDON - CAP 0, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 3 ; MOOD: 64 (LM Pilot/EVA specialist)
WILLIAMS - CAP 1, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 74 (Docking specialist)

Crew II:
HAISE - CAP 4, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 2 ; MOOD: 58 (Pilot)
ANDERS - CAP 0, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 1 ; MOOD: 53 (LM Pilot/ EVA Specialist)
MAY - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 4, END 2 ; MOOD: 63 (Docking specialist)

Crew III:
BROWN - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD: 32
CUNNINGHAM - CAP 1, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 86
MCCANDLESS - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 2 ; MOOD: 81

Crew V:
LOOPY - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 48
COLLINS - CAP 0, LM 3, EVA 4, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 86
SUITCASE - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 4, END 3 ; MOOD: 68

Unassigned astronauts:
RAVENSBURG - CAP 3, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 4 ; MOOD: 27
EISELE - CAP 0, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 3 ; MOOD: 50
SWIGERT - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 ; MOOD: 48 - will retire next season
ROCKET - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 2 ; MOOD: 94
CHAFFEE - CAP 0, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 94

Astronauts in training:
BRAND - CAP 1, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 2
BEAN - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1
ENGLE - CAP 2, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1
EVANS - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1
FREEMAN - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1
MUSGRAVE - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 2
WEITZ - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 2
CRIPEN - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 4, END 1
FULLERTON - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1
HARTSFIELD - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1
OVERMEYER - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 3
PETERSON- CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 0
TRULY - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 1
MCKAY - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 3
HENIZE - CAP 1, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 2
CARR - CAP 1, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 4

Other astronauts:
CONRAD - retired fall 1971
BARNESTI - retired spring 1971
REXMODEM - retired fall 1968
BORMAN - retired fall 1968
KNIGHT - retired fall 1967
FLASHHEART - retired fall 1967
MODEMJR - retired spring 1965
CUNTSER - retired fall 1965
KELLY - retired spring 1965
MCCAIN - retired fall 1963
HARDBEEF -  retired spring 1963
OHJESUS - DECEASED, MERCURY IX
JOHNSON - DECEASED, MERCURY XVI

Programs running: Explorer, Ranger, Mighty Strapons, Atlas, Titan, Mercury, XMS-2, EVA Suits, Kicker-B, Docking

Launch pads: 3

Scheduled missions: 
Launch Pad A, Manned orbital docking (ORBIT) Duration-D, XMS-2/B-Titan, Crew II/Crew V
Launch Pad B, None
Launch Pad C, None

ZENOBIA
BAIKONUREK
"Argh! NYET! NYETNYETNYETNYET! NOT AGAIN!"

Vasily Mishingun's yell reverberated through the vehicle production hall. He just finished reading a report from Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski, who delivered a scathing report about the quality of stabilization gyroscopes of the Proton launch vehicle.

"I will have to report to the Chief Designer!", Mishingun said threateningly.

Back in Baikonured, however, a similar scene was playing out, only with less screaming.

"Comrades Smirnoff and Rukavinishnikov? That is very sad, da. Especially this business with Rukavishnikov...liver problems, hmm? That is a surprisingly common problem at the cosmodrome...", Syrgy Pavylyvych mused to himself. Incidentally, this season's forced retirements had also left the suborbital Lapot flight without a primary crew. He decided to analyze that problem later, and got back to his program reports.

Code: Select all

Current funds: 82 megarubloids

Cosmonauts in Lapot program:

Crew II:
KARZANOVSKI - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 3 ; MOOD: 31
ZHOLOBOV - CAP 1, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3  ; MOOD: 51
SMIRNOFF - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 51 - will retire next season

Cosmonauts in Voskhod program:

Crew I:
KLIMUK - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2 ; MOOD:74 (PILOT)
BRZECZYSZCZ - CAP 3, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 3 ; MOOD: 31 (DOCKING SPECIALIST)

Crew II:
BORISOV - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 1  ; MOOD: 26
NEFARTNYI - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 3, END 2  ; MOOD: 47

Cosmonauts not assigned to programs:
LAZAREV - CAP 1, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 2  ; MOOD: 52
RUKAVISHNIKOV - CAP 1, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 3  ; MOOD: 61 - will retire next season
FILLYERESKI - CAP 1, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 3, END 1  ; MOOD: 50
YEBANOVY - CAP 2, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2  ; MOOD: 50
GRECHKO - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 2  ; MOOD: 62
KOVALYANOK - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 1, END 4  ; MOOD: 54
MAKAROV - CAP 0, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 3, END 2 ; MOOD: 44

Cosmonauts in training:
JKERMAN - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 1
SOLOVYEV - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 2
LEBEDEV - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 3
SEREBROV - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 4, END 1
BEREZOVOI - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2
GURRAGCHAA - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 3
SAVINYKH - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2
STREKALOV - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1
ATKOV - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3
IVANOV - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 1
JAEHN - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 3
VOLISHIN - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 1
BELOUSOV - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1
ZYKOV - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 3
ZAIKIN - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2
REMEK - CAP 1, LM 0, EVA 3, DOCK 2, END 2

Other cosmonauts:
IVANCHENKOV - retired fall 1971
LEBEDEV - retired fall 1971
MAMETOV - joined the Red Army in 1969. 
PETROV - imprisoned for re-education in Spring 1969
FAAABIO  - retired spring 1969
BEREGOVOY - retired spring 1969
YEBANOV - retired spring 1968
ALEXANDROV - washed out in training, fall 1967
DIGADITCH - left to join the Red Army, spring 1967
NIKOV - retired Fall 1966
DOSTAROVASKI - Forcibly retired, Fall 1964
TITOV - Retired Spring 1964
IVANOVICH - Grounded due to lung cancer
VLADIMIRENSKY  - Deceased, training accident
IVANOV - Deceased, VOSTOK VII

Programs running: Sputnik, Cosmos satellite, Lunar Probe,A-Series, Proton, Booster stage, Voskhod, EVA Suits, Docking module, Lapot, Kicker-B, N-1

Launch pads: 3

Scheduled missions: 
Launch pad A, Unmanned orbital docking, Voskhod/Proton
Launch pad B, Manned lunar pass, Voskhod/B-Proton, Crew-I/Crew-II
Launch pad C, Manned subrobital, Lapot/B-A Series, Crew-II
GM Notes:

Well, this is the critical moment. From a manned lunar pass it's only a few missions to a landing, but it's also an extremely risky flight. Everything depends on whether or not Zenobians succeed or have a catastrophe ; The final showdown, if you will.

For Murcans, their docking program got a sudden boost with TWO completely succesful flights. They're really racing ahead, though they still have a long way to go.

Also: Take note how astronauts who spent a long time without assignment get a small bonus to their mood ; But don't delude yourselves, their mood will start dropping due to incompatiblity really soon :D

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Did the dog just do paperwork? :wtf:
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Well, if he's qualified, why not?
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca