OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LadyTevar »

Ah. I see

I myself am in AEthelmearc, herald to the Barony of Blackstone Mountain. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Michael Garrity
Youngling

Post by Michael Garrity »

Lady Tevar:

I am pleased to report that through the replies I received to my original post, and those on the SCA portion of LiveJournal.com, I have reestablished contact with Mr. Marcute after more than 20 years.
Truly, the gods of fate have smiled upon me.....

Mike Garrity
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Fantastic! Does he still have your order?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Michael Garrity
Youngling

Post by Michael Garrity »

Lady Tevar:

Paul still has the original scabbard design which he and I hashed out over 20 years ago. He will be completing it as soon as is convenient.
Paul and I spent more than an hour on the phone yesterday afternoon catching up on the past 20 years. I am supremely grateful to this Thread, as without it, I would never have been able to restablish contact.

Mike Garrity
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

um, what exactly is this SCA stuff?

I used to live with medieval re-enactors who were heavily into the the historical accuracy side of it (and hitting each other with swords). They used to get paid to do performances at castles and similar, with a slight ethos of interactive museun display.
I remember getting into one heated debate about the use of fans to assist in blacksmithing at home.
Certain things modified for health and safety of course - 2mm thick armour, blunted edged weapons ect.

this looks similar, but not quite.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The SCA does not use steel weapons, blunted or otherwise. Otherwise, it is very similar to what you're thinking of.

Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

LadyTevar wrote:The SCA does not use steel weapons, blunted or otherwise. Otherwise, it is very similar to what you're thinking of.
Yeah we do, just it's not in armored combat. Rapier and Cut&Thrust use blunted metal weapons ;)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok, Ok... I wasn't counting Fencing, as he seemed to be talking Heavy Weapons.

But yes, the Fencing is also blunted weapons with padded armor.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The results of last year's census of the Society have been released. Census results.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Don't know who else is following the warpoints, but as of this morning it's 9 to 1 East.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I know that an Aethelmearc warrior won the Champion's Battle, and another won the Non-Belted.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Mobiboros wrote:Don't know who else is following the warpoints, but as of this morning it's 9 to 1 East.
No surprise. The Midrealm king is unbelted, so we lost a lot of allies. No, it's not an old boy's club at all; why do you ask? :roll:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

We outnumbered the Midrealm by a lot, I'd heard. There's no way Aethelmearc and its allies could be that good. :P
Sig.
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Mobiboros wrote:Don't know who else is following the warpoints, but as of this morning it's 9 to 1 East.
No surprise. The Midrealm king is unbelted, so we lost a lot of allies. No, it's not an old boy's club at all; why do you ask? :roll:
Yeah, ended up 19 to 3 in points it seems.

Unbelted? That's rather impressive. I can't recall the last time the East had someone win a crown that wasn't belted already. Balfar maybe.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Mobiboros wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:
Yeah, ended up 19 to 3 in points it seems.

Unbelted? That's rather impressive. I can't recall the last time the East had someone win a crown that wasn't belted already. Balfar maybe.
I'll be honest. I know His Majesty Arch Teryx, and have for some time, well before he was king. He's as well-rounded a Renaissance man as you can get; he's scarily good at heavy combat, rapier, thrown weapons, and many arts and sciences. And he knows it. He's gratingly arrogant, which probably didn't do him any favors in the allies department either, though I maintain it was mainly his unbelted status that did us in. (Lady Tevar was incredulous that they didn't make him a knight before he was crowned, but there are enough people in the Midrealm Order that don't think he's got the chivalry part down; a newly made knight was made King's Champion instead of the tradition of appointing an unbelt so there would be a knight handy with the sword of state when necessary.) That said, I don't mind his rule, since he does right by the fencers, unlike some other monarchs I could name.

His household uses my shire's local event as their annual get-together, and we've seriously considered instituting an "Arch rule" barring him from winning every single competition. (This is, of course, off the table now that he'll be "your excellency.") As it stands, the marshals have just started scheduling tournaments across from each other; I won thrown weapons last year, possibly because he was busy in the heavy list.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote:I'll be honest. I know His Majesty Arch Teryx, and have for some time, well before he was king. He's as well-rounded a Renaissance man as you can get; he's scarily good at heavy combat,
Really? I watched his crown tourney fight. Not that he couldn't beat me (I pratice heavy like 3-5 times a year maybe), but he didn't strike me as particularly amazing. The guys he fought in crown kept him pressed and only seemed to lose because of was like a hair faster at points.
Rogue 9 wrote: And he knows it. He's gratingly arrogant, which probably didn't do him any favors in the allies department either,
Yeah that does hurt some. The years the East lost allies were years when our king was... how to put it... a complete douchetool. :)
Rogue 9 wrote: Lady Tevar was incredulous that they didn't make him a knight before he was crowned
I think the rare times it has happened in the East the person was belted during their princely term. So it says a lot that he didn't get knighted. It'll be even more telling if he doesn't get knighted when he descends from the throne.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

http://www.dianedover.com/Jamila/bookofkells.pdf
A huge, pic-heavy link to an online Book of Kells

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yes but I don't think the SCA would take kindly to anyone claiming ríastrad and proceeding to throw a spear through a score of opponents....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It would seem the Midrealm will have another unbelted king for Pennsic next year.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Aethelmearc also had an Unbelted Fighter win Crown. In fact, not only is he not a Knight, he's a simple Lord. :mrgreen:

Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

For those who don't know there's been something of a changeup for the coming Pennsic.

This year the East and mid have put aside their differences and allied for the entirety of the war. Against Atlantia and Aethelmearc. With the rest of the knowne world and allies choosing sides from there.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I just got the news myself, Mori. :) It was announced at our Kingdom 12th Night, with the Prince & Princess of Atlantia attending. It's going to be interesting to see who winds up allied to whom....

... although I'm calling Drachenwald allied to Aethelmearc. The new Crown Heirs used to live here. :)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, it's that time again... Blackstone Raids, the first AEthelmearc grand melee event of the season, held here in the Barony of Blackstone Mountain.

We're going to have TRM of Midrealm and Atlantia here for a visit, as well as a majority of Atlantian fighters here to get a feel for fighting in formation with AEthelmearc prior to Pennsic. I will be Heralding Court with up to 3 sets of Royals... unless Atlantia decides not to join Court again.

I'm also bouncing an idea to make a bid for Kingdom 12th Night 2013. Some of my Barony are hinting I should try to Autocrat the next Blackstone Raids.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

autocratic 4 the people?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin