SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VI

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Mayabird
Storytime!

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VI

Post by Mayabird »

The Emir might know that the Refuge has been courting the Outlander Mechanicals for quite a while without all too much success, but since the Mechanicals have been off doing their own isolationist thing for a while that doesn't really count.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I wouldn't know if the Emir would know about the Refuge and the Mechanicals. Nobody knows much about the Mechanicals in the first place, and it's not like the UAE has access to the necessary resources to get that kind of info.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Any of you wonder, 'why did Siege get tangled up in this', well, there's your answer. I challenge you to make these people less of a pathetic two-dimensional joke and more something you actually might be interested in learning more about.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You're the best, man. And that's from someone who made them into a pathetic two-dimensional joke. :D
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Good work, Siege.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Yay for a small break in my day! First, I need to address this:
Ryan Thunder wrote:Anyway, I wasn't consulted on that post at all, so there's a variety of blatant factual errors, as one would expect.
Welcome to my world, buddy. :D

Anyway jokes aside, if I get a chance I'll OOC up some stuff tonight. But just letting you know I'm alive and, for the moment at least, checking in on the game when I can.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

I'm somewhat relieved to see the MEH getting some characterization as more than derpy fat jokes.
Truth fears no trial.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah. I've been away since last Tuesday to go attend a wedding, so I'd missed some stuff, but I like what's going on and hope to chime in myself at some point when I have time.

EDIT: [Reads Tanasinn's latest]

Copycat.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Not to me-too at you, Siege, but this seems like a good chance to cause some intrigue with my neighbors, and I imagine the Solarians will appreciate not having to handle EVERYONE fleeing from the MEH. :)

Plus, I've wanted to find some way to stick my oar in without breaking character. Particularly after mostly ignoring the Outlands incidents.

Note that the Humanist Union might be a bit different in how it goes about treating asylum-seekers. Your average citizen holds no blame and will be left unmolested, but military officers? Bureaucrats? Situation depending, they may face more scrutiny.
Truth fears no trial.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Oooh. Lots of last-ditch MEH superweapon options. I like this- gives you that 'Downfall' vibe, and hopefully forces the coalition participants (myself included) to pay a reasonable price for fighting the war.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I said I had some OOC stuff to say, so I'm going to say it.
Ryan Thunder wrote:Except you failed to actually do anything interesting with it because there's nothing exciting about a fucking gary stu machine that kills 90 points of stealth ship when it can't possibly be more than 50 points itself with a single attack.
Quite frankly, he has a point. I second this, and I second it officially in whatever capacity I still have as a mod of this game.

The Imperator Titan is 50 points, those MEH stealth corvettes are 90 points. There's no fucking way a Titan one-shots the corvette like that. Even if you treat the Titan as if it were a starship itself, a 50 point unit does not one shot a 90 point unit. Frankly, the 50 point Titan would be dead and, at best, gets to do a little more than half damage in return (a mission kill, to be sure...but the Titan is still dead).

The points don't allow it, and like it or not the MEH was started as a player nation, not some random made up NPC where you can do whatever with them. So consider it officially objected to, and awaiting moderator action.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Modhat on]

Objection seconded. Although if there were Byzantine or other naval assets in the vicinity, they could act to support the psi-titan and keep it from being killed by the MEH stealth-ship.

Even so, a 50 point ground unit cannot one-shot a 90 point spaceship, not without way better setup and justifications than Fin used. Return fire, yes, withstand fire from for a long time, sure, but not one-shot the big thing.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

And before anyone tries to go "but battle damage!" that's no dice. His own writing prevents that:
A MEH stealth ship had appeared out of nowhere and shot up the landing ship containing a single Imperator class Psi-Titan, the Emperor’s Avarice.
As he wrote it, it gives the indication his Titan took out a fully functional, undamage corvette while barely breaking a sweat. Sorry, but no.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Note that it would work better with a squadron of MEH fighter craft or something, which a Byzantine titan would actually be able to handle.

I get that Fin wants his titans to perform the 'Bolo' role of ground-based antistarship defense. It's just his tough luck that the MEH's ships are all individually too powerful for his titans to kill- though their small craft are not.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Eh, could've been a fighter. Or several fighters. Big diff.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

RogueIce wrote:I said I had some OOC stuff to say, so I'm going to say it.
Ryan Thunder wrote:Except you failed to actually do anything interesting with it because there's nothing exciting about a fucking gary stu machine that kills 90 points of stealth ship when it can't possibly be more than 50 points itself with a single attack.
Quite frankly, he has a point. I second this, and I second it officially in whatever capacity I still have as a mod of this game.

The Imperator Titan is 50 points, those MEH stealth corvettes are 90 points. There's no fucking way a Titan one-shots the corvette like that. Even if you treat the Titan as if it were a starship itself, a 50 point unit does not one shot a 90 point unit. Frankly, the 50 point Titan would be dead and, at best, gets to do a little more than half damage in return (a mission kill, to be sure...but the Titan is still dead).

The points don't allow it, and like it or not the MEH was started as a player nation, not some random made up NPC where you can do whatever with them. So consider it officially objected to, and awaiting moderator action.
Man.. .figures people have to be kill joys.

:D

Why don't some of you go start a "hate fin" club. I intended to be a bastard in this game after playing the do-gooder for 3 games, and clearly I am doing too stellar a job. :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Feel free to write your titans murderizing shit.

Just make sure it's shit that, pointwise, they can plausibly murderize first.

That is all.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Simon_Jester wrote:Feel free to write your titans murderizing shit.

Just make sure it's shit that, pointwise, they can plausibly murderize first.

That is all.
You do realise I have more Titans in my stockpile I brought with me right? :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If you'd written a whole bunch of Titans ganging up on a MEH ship and beating it to death using gundamn-style robot jujitsu, or more likely skewering it from below with volcano cannon fire when it comes in for a firing pass, that would be fine by me.

It's when you ignore the rules, neglecting even to use them as broad guidelines for what is and is not possible, that I have a problem.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I intended to be a bastard in this game after playing the do-gooder for 3 games, and clearly I am doing too stellar a job. :D
There's being a magnificent bastard, and then there's being a posturing dickhead with a colossal inferiority complex who flagrantly violates the rules without even the positive contribution of a well-written story post to excuse it. You currently fall under the latter category.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Nice, Tanasinn :). Good to see other nations actually behaving reasonably with respect to the war!
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Reads Mayabirdpost]
[Breaks down laughing]
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

BART BLADE

I dedicate my latest post to Ford Prefect.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Outstanding, Tanasinn. Outstanding. As one of the genociders in question, I applaud you! Stick it up to the man, man! Stick it up to... us! :D

(At least we won't have to write other nations' rallies against our nations no more.)
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

In the vein of good politics, it's also a little hypocritical. :) The Humanist Union might talk about diplomatic solutions, but the New Humanist Progressive Party is essentially founded on "words don't work," though it acknowledges that not all situations need to be resolved through violence (a necessary admission, if it was to endure revolution).

The Union also funds revolutionary movements and groups abroad, albiet not as willy-nilly as the more internationalist elements of the party would like. So there's that.
Truth fears no trial.