31st Century UFP vs. Galactic Empire (A New Hope Era)

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Re: 31st Century UFP vs. Galactic Empire (A New Hope Era)

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Azron_Stoma wrote:I seem to recall in "Relativity" them not being able to beam through Voyager's shields.

That was also 29th Century Timefleet where if they sent you back in time too much it was fatal. 31st Century Timefleet (the one specified) has far better facility with their space-time manipulation tech. They can even pull off Dr. Who style bigger on the inside spaceships.
But did we actually see the 31st century guys beam through shields? otherwise there's no reason to assume something they haven't been able to do for 500 years suddenly becomes possible.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Azron_Stoma wrote:
Azron_Stoma wrote:I seem to recall in "Relativity" them not being able to beam through Voyager's shields.

That was also 29th Century Timefleet where if they sent you back in time too much it was fatal. 31st Century Timefleet (the one specified) has far better facility with their space-time manipulation tech. They can even pull off Dr. Who style bigger on the inside spaceships.
But did we actually see the 31st century guys beam through shields? otherwise there's no reason to assume something they haven't been able to do for 500 years suddenly becomes possible.
Good thing then that Daniels beams Archer onto the Enterprise-J during its battle with the Sphere Builders where one can safely assume it had shields up. So that's them being onto a 26th Century Starfleet ship that is likely far more powerful than the stuff we've seen fielded in the 24th Century. Honestly, considering they solved the whole "too much time travel is fatal" thing and can do "bigger on the inside" I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on capability.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

In Future's end Henry Starling using 29 th century tech could beam through Voyager's shields "like they weren't there". In Relativity the Feds can't do it from the 29 th century. So we can make a few hypothesis.

1. Its harder to beam through shields and through time (ie time travelling) at the same time. It may not necessary be one of energy output, just some technobabble problem.

2. Henry Starling is so awesome he managed to come up with a technology the 29 th century feds can't do.

Given that by the late 24 th early 25 th century, the UFP had anti borg weapons capable of penetrating Borg shields like they aren't even there I would say option one seems the more likely explanation.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
ChosenOne54
Padawan Learner

Post by ChosenOne54 »

I stumbled upon a trekkie who actually tried to claim that 31st century UFP was about equal to the Time Lords.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

ChosenOne54 wrote:I stumbled upon a trekkie who actually tried to claim that 31st century UFP was about equal to the Time Lords.
Meh. I seem to recall a Trekkie who tried to claim that Worf could beat up a Space Marine (I assume both of them were unarmed and unarmored). It was either on SB or SFJ. But yeah, Trekkie wankery is nothing new.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Panzersharkcat wrote:
ChosenOne54 wrote:I stumbled upon a trekkie who actually tried to claim that 31st century UFP was about equal to the Time Lords.
Meh. I seem to recall a Trekkie who tried to claim that Worf could beat up a Space Marine (I assume both of them were unarmed and unarmored). It was either on SB or SFJ. But yeah, Trekkie wankery is nothing new.
I think that might have been on SB as I think I remember seeing that too. ST wank can get pretty spectacular really.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

mr friendly guy wrote a rather good fanfic (The Time War). IMHO, this was the only fanfic I've read where the Trek wanking was done well enough to make it both readable and enjoyable.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
ChosenOne54
Padawan Learner

Post by ChosenOne54 »

Hm, I'll take a look. Thanks.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Panzersharkcat wrote:
If memory served he actually claimed fully armoured, and worf armed with a broken beer bottle going for the marine's neck.
Whiskey144
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiskey144 »

Azron_Stoma wrote:If memory served he actually claimed fully armoured, and worf armed with a broken beer bottle going for the marine's neck.
Let us hold a facepalm service in.......I dunno, remembrance? of this Trekkie's sad case of stupidity.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Whiskey144 wrote:
Azron_Stoma wrote:If memory served he actually claimed fully armoured, and worf armed with a broken beer bottle going for the marine's neck.
Let us hold a facepalm service in.......I dunno, remembrance? of this Trekkie's sad case of stupidity.
There are insufficient facepalms to express how stupid that is. One will have to do. Otherwise, it would break the board.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Ryag Han
Youngling

Post by Ryag Han »

Panzersharkcat wrote:
Whiskey144 wrote:
There are insufficient facepalms to express how stupid that is. One will have to do. Otherwise, it would break the board.
95% of people laugh at other people because they are different. Copy this into your profile if you are a part of the 5% that laughs at the other 95% because they're all the same

RAT-FLAIR
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That's odd, and here I thought I dimly recall something about Space Marines wearing full body coverage power armour. What's Worf going to with that broken beer bottle? Threaten to kill himself unless the Marine surrenders?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well I certainly don't.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

For a change, it does, and yes, that was moderately amusing. :D
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Yeah, and for all intents and purposes, that Space Marine is Mongo.

Worf: I better go check out this Space Marine character.
[Worf reaches for his phaser]
Imperium Denizen: Oh no, don't do that, don't do that. If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

When did this thread's topic turn into "laugh at random Trektard BS"?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Metahive wrote:When did this thread's topic turn into "laugh at random Trektard BS"?
Right about here:
That statement was actually on-topic, but it kinda wandered from there. Considering the conversation got all the way to Blazing Saddles, I'd say things went swimmingly. :mrgreen:
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Metahive wrote:When did this thread's topic turn into "laugh at random Trektard BS"?
That's generally the point of this site.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

the atom wrote:That's generally the point of this site.
Well, discussing sci-fi and laughing at stupid people in general according to the site's motto. Gratuitous thread-derailing however isn't.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

31st UFP would crush the Star War Empire unwanted bug. One tactic that already been talk about is the 31st century UFP could is just beam Emperor and Vader into nearest Black-hole with a time portal .Across if 31st century UFP wanted to crippled Star War Empire all they would have to do is send bombs though their time portals to all of the Star war Empire military base, starships, outposts, military factories and even the Death star it self. Leaving Emperor with no choice but to surrender to 31st century UFP fleet with fact the Star war Empire would not have single starship left in fleet.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

JasonB wrote:31st UFP would crush the Star War Empire unwanted bug. One tactic that already been talk about is the 31st century UFP could is just beam Emperor and Vader into nearest Black-hole with a time portal .Across if 31st century UFP wanted to crippled Star War Empire all they would have to do is send bombs though their time portals to all of the Star war Empire military base, starships, outposts, military factories and even the Death star it self. Leaving Emperor with no choice but to surrender to 31st century UFP fleet with fact the Star war Empire would not have single starship left in fleet.
Assuming you said what I think you said, doesn't time travel fuckery generally require at least a little understanding of the other side's history? Plus, considering all the trouble Daniels and others went to in order to preserve the flow of history, even cheerfully dying for the cause, why would they simply set aside their principles to utterly anihilate their enemy from the word go?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

They wouldn't need to manipulate the timeline, theirs is time and space displacement technology after all. They'd just have to know where exactly Palpatine is to pick him up and hurl into the void between galaxies. Also, it's questionable that manipulating events in a galaxy far, far away would affect the timeline in their own galaxy anyway.

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Not to mention the fact that time travel fuckery is generally considered "cheating" in SWvST debates. I believe Darth Wong calls it a tacit admission that the time traveler can't win in a straight-up fight. This is not a point in the UFP's favor, JasonB.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

StarSword wrote:Not to mention the fact that time travel fuckery is generally considered "cheating" in SWvST debates. I believe Darth Wong calls it a tacit admission that the time traveler can't win in a straight-up fight. This is not a point in the UFP's favor, JasonB.
What'a a 'straight-up' fight? What does that even mean? What would each side have to divest themselves of to make it 'straight-up'? Would this at least mean that Wars wankers will stop going on about how jedi/palpatine will always win because of super-precog which is never demonstrated ever?