What universe would you rather live in??

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Re: What universe would you rather live in??

Post by Darth Hoth »

Destructionator XIII wrote:Are there examples of fairly regular life in the EU to counter the special circumstances seen in the movies? While they are certainly all extraordinary characters in extraordinary situations, if that's all we have, well, that's all we have.
There are, for most stuff. For example, the Empire does have actual procedures for inquiry and court-martial when incompetence becomes a possible issue.

Sometimes, I even believe Vader adheres to them a little. :P

Of course, a lot of the EU naturally portrays the Empire and Republic as unjust and/or corrupt for (out-of-universe) thematic reasons. But the "evil" is still more sluggish and bureacratic than capricious like in the films most of the time. Or such, at least, is my impression.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

I still wanna know what SW has to match my depraved holodeck fantasies, besides "I will become a mighty warlord, unless I have to talk to any girls!"
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

DudeGuyMan wrote:I still wanna know what SW has to match my depraved holodeck fantasies, besides "I will become a mighty warlord, unless I have to talk to any girls!"
I think I might have to concede on that one...
Unless there are any Force-senstives who can get laid with Jedi Mind Tricks, really there's no direct competition for the heights of depravity the holodeck could achieve.

On the seedy side of versus, did Trek have anything by the way of (recreational) drugs? Jabba the Hutt had his giant hookah in RotJ, indicating there was at least a tobacco, if not a weed equivalent in the GFFA. Though, given Jabba's demeanour, it was more likely leaning toward the latter...
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Darth Tedious wrote:
DudeGuyMan wrote:I still wanna know what SW has to match my depraved holodeck fantasies, besides "I will become a mighty warlord, unless I have to talk to any girls!"
Unless there are any Force-senstives who can get laid with Jedi Mind Tricks, really there's no direct competition for the heights of depravity the holodeck could achieve.
Wouldn't using mind tricks to get sex be sexual assault? I would hardly call that consensual sex.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Darth Tedious wrote:
Wouldn't using mind tricks to get sex be sexual assault? I would hardly call that consensual sex.
That's an interesting question...
Technically, you would be getting consent, though through persuasion. Which only works on the weak minded. Isn't it akin to persuading a weak-minded person to sleep with you through more mundane methods? (note: I'm not actually saying I condone said behaviour, be it via the Force or by bullshitting the gullible)
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Being a lawyer in Star Wars would be interesting.:)
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

I'm not laying blame anywhere, just making the comparison. I think the ability to use the Force in very morally questionable ways could be a large part of the reason the Jedi Order have a fairly strict ethical code.

From the legal standpoint, would an offender be charged with sexual assault, or (and probably a more serious charge, with a higher penalty) illegal/unauthorised use of the Force? At least under Imperial law, rape would most likely get you a stint at Kessel, where just being a Jedi was a summary execution (on the spot, without trial).

/wonders what the penalty for illegal use of the Force would be under Republic/New Republic law...

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Is there any indication that using the Force required authorization under the Republic at all? We see lots of non-affiliated Force users and there never seems to be any talk of arresting them.

I don't think use of the Force is something that gets liscenced.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

It had to be authorised under Imperial law, but surely the Republic must have had some recourse against specifically unlawful usage? Otherwise, people could go around getting laid with Jedi Mind Tricks...

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Darth Tedious wrote:It had to be authorised under Imperial law, but surely the Republic must have had some recourse against specifically unlawful usage? Otherwise, people could go around getting laid with Jedi Mind Tricks...
I don't get why unlawful Force use would be a crime. You could just charge someone who used a mind trick in such a way with sexual assault. You wouldn't need to create a charge of "unlawful Force use" to cover it. When I think of liscencing Force use, I think of something more like the mutant registration from X-men.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Darth Tedious wrote:It had to be authorised under Imperial law, but surely the Republic must have had some recourse against specifically unlawful usage? Otherwise, people could go around getting laid with Jedi Mind Tricks...
I don't get why unlawful Force use would be a crime. You could just charge someone who used a mind trick in such a way with sexual assault. You wouldn't need to create a charge of "unlawful Force use" to cover it. When I think of liscencing Force use, I think of something more like the mutant registration from X-men.
I would think it would be neccesary on legal technicality. After all, any sex gained through Jedi Mind Tricks would be consentual, so it's certainly not rape. It's the use of the Force to coerce the victim's consent that constitutes the crime. Though the additional charge of sexual assault could/should be pressed, the depravition of a person's free will should be addressed. I you drug someone (without their knowledge, obviously) and then have consentual sex with them, you can/should be charged with drugging them. Bending someone's mind with the Force shouldn't be any different.

On a side note: This thread has taken an odd turn. Turning back to an earlier point, I must say in SW's favour that while there are monsters in the GFFA (such as rancors, space slugs, the Sarlacc), they are pretty well known, and shouldn't be too hard to avoid if you stay clear of their respective homeworlds. The Sarlacc should be particularly easy to not be eaten by, provided you don't piss Jabba off (how does that thing get a meal on an average day?). In contrast, the risks of the MW are often uncharted, and your chances of getting killed by random monster X on random planet Y are pretty good- if you are interested exploring said worlds, which a number of people have stated as their reason for preferring the ST universe.

Carinthium
BANNED

Post by Carinthium »

For clarification- what are the implicit assumptions here? A specific area of the SW/ST universe? That we're put in a society of people at random? That we're put ANYWHERE at random? (This becomes a completely different scenario if the issue of where you're less likely to be dropped into the middle of outer space becomes an issue).
doomboy536
Redshirt

Post by doomboy536 »

If I get to pick then I'd live in the Star Trek universe on Earth, somewhere where I could live in such decadent comfort as only the Federation can provide. I'd make sure I was as far away from Starfleet HQ as possible to avoid any lolsuperweapons and spend my days either pissing around in the holodeck or just generally living a life of idle luxury and intellectual pursuit.

If it was random, I'd pick the Star Wars universe. It's so mind boggling huge that the chances of me being involved in any war are extremely remote.
Lord Helmet
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lord Helmet »

Darth Tedious wrote:

On the seedy side of versus, did Trek have anything by the way of (recreational) drugs? Jabba the Hutt had his giant hookah in RotJ, indicating there was at least a tobacco, if not a weed equivalent in the GFFA. Though, given Jabba's demeanour, it was more likely leaning toward the latter...
They had a addictive video game, drugs from a pair of planets where one lot were the dealers and the other the users, odd gravity effects from collapsing stars ect they gets you well fucked up (even Data who got laid at the time), Tasha Yar's home world had plenty from what she told Wesley (although he needed some imho).

Even synthahol that can get you shitfaced with no hangover and you can even take a instant sober up pill i think although that maybe from a book.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Nice necro shitstain.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Really, guys? This is considered a necro? Stop dicking around and playing mod. I know he's an asshole, but stop trying to ding him on a technicality when in reality this thread was still near the top of the forum.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I figured that over a month was surely necro territory. It would be in any other section of the site.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Norade wrote:I figured that over a month was surely necro territory. It would be in any other section of the site.
Most other sections, a month old thread wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the first page.
Lord Helmet wrote:...odd gravity effects from collapsing stars ect they gets you well fucked up...
Oh yeah! I forgot all about that (been a long time since I watched season 1).

Just had a great idea for starting a tourism business... :twisted:

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Norade wrote:I figured that over a month was surely necro territory. It would be in any other section of the site.
In theory, yes. In practice, no, not necessarily. Generally if it's still on the first page on a slow forum we relax the rules on necromancy.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mercenario
Redshirt

Post by Mercenario »

It would be rape. If you want to push it, it would be even worse than that.
You are totally breaking the will of the other person.

The force use alone(mind control) would be a crime on the level of sexual assault, due to the break of privacy.

Yeah, I guess thats the reason the jedi do not use their powers unless they are the only option. (self preservation, defending others)
Yeah, some writers do not give a damn about it, because they just care about "wow cool", instead of consistant characters.

But putting Obi Wan on the level of some casual rapist is just plain wrong.

Fantasy(or SiFi) Literature is in general full of similar shit. Like rescue the witch, who has destroyed the harvest of the town by calling on "the evil big enemy of all life", because she should not be put to death for it.
You might arguee about the death penalty, right. But you can't just do it everywhere.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

I know this may be considered necro but I dint want to start a new thread considering it's position on the board.

But I would go for living in the republic around 500 BBY and try to. Work for one of the major corporations. I would keep putting money aside and buy my own starship and maybe do a bit of pirating.
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.