New Captain America trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

New Captain America trailer

Post by SylasGaunt »

http://movies.yahoo.com/summer-movies/c ... 1810026349

It's looking good.. and that grenade scene..

Also, Tommy Lee Jones needs to play disagreeable old army officers more often. :D
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Captain America trailer

Post by Tsyroc »

That does look excellent.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Yes, it does look excellent, and while the list of things I would normally like Chris Evans to do to me is "yes", Chris Evans with an extra thirty kilos of muscle induces the "just take me now" reaction. I dont expect I will be doing much other than drooling in the theater.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

^ you and me both, Aly.

The more trailers I see, the more hyped I am for this to live up to them. I'm hoping for Marvel to continue the trend to enjoyable superhero movies. But, honestly, I want Cap to exceed IronMan in writing, action, and general levels of Cool
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

LadyTevar wrote:
The more trailers I see, the more hyped I am for this to live up to them. I'm hoping for Marvel to continue the trend to enjoyable superhero movies. But, honestly, I want Cap to exceed IronMan in writing, action, and general levels of Cool
I was a bit ambivalent about Cap because the first preview pictures looked so wonky and the first trailers was okay but did not blow me away.

But the latest trailer swung me even if it does not look like the Scientist is going to be killed in the traditional Nazi way which is something I loved about the old Captain America movie (The other one not staring Reb Brown)

Not to mention yes, the Grenade scene? Kinda wish they had no spoiled it now but it leads me to hope they are a good enough movie that is the kind where all the best moments are NOT in the trailer as opposed to the current Hollywood standard of showing you all of the good parts of the movie in 2 minutes with the other 78 minutes being garbage. Plus I want to see how they tie SHIELD into this movie.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Yeah, this is going to be the biggest action movie of the year. I just wish they were releasing it July 4.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Yeah, this is going to be the biggest action movie of the year. I just wish they were releasing it July 4.
Maybe they were aiming for that date, and something slipped?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kosh
Redshirt

Post by Kosh »

Simon_Jester wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Yeah, this is going to be the biggest action movie of the year. I just wish they were releasing it July 4.
Maybe they were aiming for that date, and something slipped?
Maybe somebody decided it was just tacky to release Captain America on July 4th? Unlikely, I know, but not quite impossible.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I think it would be AWESOME to release Captain America on the 4th of July. Anyone remember what day 'Independence Day' came out on? :-D
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Or they didn't want to compete with Transformers 3, and would have had to split 3D screens.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Or July 4 is a Monday, which is not normally a day when movies are released, like Friday, so it would be either before or after 4th.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

To be fair, Transformers 3 is getting released on a Tuesday.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

The costume looks much better in post production that it did in the still frames. Mind you, everything looks better in motion.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

SylasGaunt wrote:http://movies.yahoo.com/summer-movies/c ... 1810026349

It's looking good.. and that grenade scene..

Also, Tommy Lee Jones needs to play disagreeable old army officers more often. :D
I came and immediately started farting.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

LadyTevar wrote:^ you and me both, Aly.

Make that three.

I was a bit ambivalent about the film before, but this trailer has swayed me; I caught a glimpse of the original non-circular shield there, too, when he was jumping over flames (I bet he'll have it for a scene, then swap it up for the round version).

It's now at the top of my "to-see" list for the summer.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I for one am curious as to how, or if they will try, to fit in Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos, as they have established Fury as black. Not exactly a popular color in WWII to lead a group of white guys. Will they make the SLJ look just a cover?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Havok wrote:I for one am curious as to how, or if they will try, to fit in Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos, as they have established Fury as black. Not exactly a popular color in WWII to lead a group of white guys. Will they make the SLJ look just a cover?
Simple, Nick Fury won't be leading the WWII era Howling Commandos, it will be another Fury or some other guy with our SLJ Fury taking over at some point.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Havok wrote:I for one am curious as to how, or if they will try, to fit in Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos, as they have established Fury as black. Not exactly a popular color in WWII to lead a group of white guys. Will they make the SLJ look just a cover?
Simple; make the Howling Commandoes black. Play it like a ground-based version of the Tuskegee Airmen.
The armed forces were segregated during WWII anyway, I believe.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

SLJ is Ultimate Nick Fury. Ultimate Fury was not alive during WWII. Does anyone really think they're going to confuse movie audience like that?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

My bet is that they won't try.

They're going to have enough trouble, in the movie continuity, with "wait, how did Cap survive from World War II to the present day with no visible aging?" They can handle that, but they'd have a much harder problem doing it with Nick Fury, so they probably just won't try. From the trailers it's clear that there'll be some kind of special commando team backing Cap up (like the guy with the bowler hat and the mustache), but calling them "howling commandos" probably wouldn't go over well these days- kind of corny.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

My bet is that they won't try.

They're going to have enough trouble, in the movie continuity, with "wait, how did Cap survive from World War II to the present day with no visible aging?" They can handle that, but they'd have a much harder problem doing it with Nick Fury, so they probably just won't try. From the trailers it's clear that there'll be some kind of special commando team backing Cap up (like the guy with the bowler hat and the mustache), but calling them "howling commandos" probably wouldn't go over well these days- kind of corny.
Umm, yeah, that guy in the bowler hat? That's Corporal "Dum-Dum" Dugan, one of the Howlers and Fury's 2IC. The movie may never call them howling commandos, but that's what they're going to be.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fine by me.

My point is that I doubt they will use the name "Howling Commandos" because it'll sound silly to the movie audience, and I doubt they will use a character named "Nick Fury" because that will create strange questions.

Clearly, there will be a commando team backing up Cap, and they will probably closely resemble the Howling Commandos of comic book fame, as a nod to the comic book fanbase. But if past precedents in these movies are any guide, the people making the Marvel movies are totally willing to break with details about the names and backstory of characters, reimagining them to avoid some of the stranger and more awkward elements that they'd otherwise be stuck with from the comics.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Fair enough.

A thought occurs WRT SHIELD. In the comics, SHIELD was formed specifically to counter the threat of Hydra, and many of the first officers were Fury's commandos from the war. Fury himself spent several years in the CIA between the war and Tony Stark's recommendation of him as SHIELD's commander.

Assuming all of this takes place during the war, rather than twenty years later, when Cap is thawed out, this could be a priceless opportunity to set up the Super-Soldier program, Cap, and the howlers as the first days of SHIELD before they became large, well-organized, or had the name. Plus, with Cap as a founding member of the group, there comes a rather obvious reason for the name...
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Possible resolutions to the Nick Fury "problem":

- As noted, make the WWII "Howling Commandos" (whether called that or not) black (yes ALL military units were segregated back then, that didn't change until the Korean War and the 1950's. Nonetheless, some black units, such as the Tuskegee Airmen, were well regarded).

- Make WWII Nick Fury the white father of the black Nick Fury of the present.

- Just don't explain it. I mean, hell, you had a black guy playing Heimdall recently and no one blinked, right?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually I seem to recall at least a modicum of discussion about Heimdall being black right here :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'