Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by HMS Sophia »

"Brown. Mad Dog Brown, U.S. Navy."

"Oh great" barnest1 says, walking over "The Navy boys are here. I guess now we can all celebrate our victory with volleyball, and long meaningful looks at each other, and quips about wingmen... Names barnest1. Captain, USAF" he says, putting out a hand to shake.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OOC:

After all the shit the Group I astronauts got up to, the Navy boys will fit right in...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
You do realize that Von Braun just got a present on his desk?
Rex Modem took records of everyone's vices. That would come in handy later, especially when people were in quarantine and needed something to take the edge off.

Fox Modem continued running through the Mercury simulation, trying to see what was wrong. That's when he noticed the person standing outside the simulator capsule.

"Hello brother." Fax said, smiling.

Fox sat up and hit his head on a console. "OW. What the hell are you doing here?"

"I heard they were hiring, so I figured I would come and get my old job back."

"But the FBI is looking for you."

"Yes, well, now that you mention it." Fax held up some cuffs. "That's why you're taking me in."

10 minutes later, both Fox and Fax were in Sam Francisco's office, Fax wearing handcuffs.

EDIT:Made it make more sense.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

"Fax... Fox..." Sam says, shocked at the new arrival "What the hell are you doing here? I thought you were in... I thought you were hiding. What are you doing back here? Is Drago okay?"
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

"Drago's fine, in fact..."Fax began searching his pockets, until he pulled out a stuffed package and laid it on the desk. A process which took a while wearing handcuffs. "This is his notes for the past year, plus some stuff he was able to smuggle in from Zenobia. In fact, the way he originally smuggled out has also brought in a few other people. At my hideaway in...somewhere else, we have the remnants of the losers of a civil war."

He let that sink in.

"In case you haven't heard, the General Secretary of Zenobia had a coup against him, he won, somehow, and then there were purges against anyone who backed the other side. So, with nowhere else to go, you now have a few individuals looking to defect. Their names are in the package, the location is being kept secret. They want to live in the land of the free, and I want back in the program."

He leaned back, his piece done.

"If its not possible, then I'll leave in a couple hours and we can pretend this never happened."
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Sam's eyes light up at the prospect of more of Drago's notes, before they widen further still at the idea of Russian scientists.
"Fax... you know I want you back in the program. You're a damn good pilot, and hell, the more modems the merrier, eh? What would that be, three now? Anyway, i'll talk to the director. I'll advise him to see things our way as well... gimme two minutes" He says, picking up the phone
"Director? it's Sam. I've got Fax modem here with his brother... yes sir, he's back... no I haven't rung the authorities... Just listen dammit! He says he knows where a big bunch of defecting Zenobian scientists are hiding, and he'll give them to us if he can get back into the program... yes Sir, the purges... No, I want him in the program. I don't care if he has to use an assumed name, he's a damn good pilot, and we could get Drago back in at the same time... Sir, that man is as good a rocket scientist, if not better, than me, we want him on our side..."

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fox was just confused with what was going on. Fax wasn't the aspiring pilot or simple farmboy anymore. He could still see traces of it in his older brother, but the man had changed, he seemed more seasoned somehow.

Looking between Sam on the phone and Fax, he felt out of his league with all this stuff.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Spoiler
The enema bag was on the flight director's desk, not mine. The flight director happens to be one Wernher von Shapp :D
Johnny looked incredulously at his phone for a few moments before replying.

"Lots of defecting scientists AND a returning astronaut? Oh sweet jeebus that's good news! Maybe this will make that bastard president give us some more money. OK, Sam, run with it!"

---------------------

Ed looked around and frowned.

"Ah great, the squids are here. Finally someone who can show us air force pukes the finer points of flying."

Ed's sarcasm was utterly lost on the Navy pilots. He frowned, this could be worse than he thought....
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fax and Fox waited for the phone conversation to end, Fax patiently, Fox not so much.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

So how the hell can a couple of runaway shmucks in Mohico know anything about the inner political battles of the Zenobian politicoes? Did a surprise submarine also land in Mohico and deliver Fax and Drago a secret message, after that submarine did a barrel roll on an Eiffel Tower carrying prisoners bound for Zyberia? :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Maybe they summoned the spirits of the Romanovs. :lol: Really though, Drago got out through a network the first time, the network and Drago must have stayed in touch.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Did a surprise submarine also land in Mohico and deliver Fax and Drago a secret message, after that submarine did a barrel roll on an Eiffel Tower carrying prisoners bound for Zyberia? :lol:
This is exactly what happenned. In MURCA!!!! the LAND of the FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! literally anything is possible.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Spoiler
I just have to warn peoples, I'm going away tomorrow morning, really early. I'm not going to have internet while I'm away, so I wont be able to post. I'll keep posting till this evening, but then I'm outa here till the 22nd.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
When do you get back? Guess we have to make sure Von Braun takes over budget duties for a while.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Spoiler
back on the evening of the 21st. probably resume posting on the 22nd. sorry

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

FaxModem1 wrote:Maybe they summoned the spirits of the Romanovs. :lol: Really though, Drago got out through a network the first time, the network and Drago must have stayed in touch.
A network that stayed in touch with the people it smuggled would not last long against the KGB. Why on Earth would they bother with keeping Drago up to date on the inner politics of Zenobia? Much less involve a wanted man with next to no resources in their operations :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Might as well give the old college try at answering that.
Drago woke up inside the ranch, unlike a few months ago, it was now full of ex-Zenobian officials. He quickly used the bathroom and got his basic hygiene done before anyone else woke up. He hated losing an hour's worth of sleep just to have hot water, but it was the price he paid for his idea. Especially since the other bathroom, small as it was, had been turned into a still.

FLASHBACK

"Fax, I've been thinking." He said as he stopped writing down on paper.

Fax nodded as he was working on fixing up a hole in the wall. "Uh huh, what about?"

Drago spoke in English, which still wasn't that good."I got out, but only because I lucky. If no submarine, I be in mine. If no Sam, no money. No sleeping guard, no plane to borrow."

Fax stopped working and nodded as he turned towards Drago. The man was going to be rambling. He presented a piece of paper.

"When I originally left Zenobia, I had help. Friends and comrades who disliked way things were. We could shelter them."

End FLASHBACK

After that, they had contacted the man who went by the odd codename, Big Mustache, through a proxy. Drago now had an infamous reputation, which was bad for any black market business, but they also had a place in non-commie waters, so it was usable. After that, the occasional movie or book was shipped. And their ranch became a warehouse for Zenobian organized crime. Then, Big Mustache said something big happened in Moosecow, and people were scrambling to get out of the country. Expecting mostly bureaucrats and criminals, Fax wanted to refuse, but when Drago found out they were colleagues, he accepted.

A few weeks later, they were swarming with Zenobians and even a few Thanasians that were able to slip through cracks. But now, the house was full, and their quiet life was no more.

Drago got dressed and made himself breakfast. He hoped the Murcans accepted their offer, he couldn't live like this for much longer.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Ed looked around and frowned.

"Ah great, the squids are here. Finally someone who can show us air force pukes the finer points of flying."

Ed's sarcasm was utterly lost on the Navy pilots. He frowned, this could be worse than he thought....
Bob wasn't there when the statement was made, since he was busy sweet-talking the rockets the way he used to sweet-talk his test planes, but word eventually got back to him. He too missed the sarcasm, because he was caught up in a memory.

Squids. Mmm, calamari.

He'd only ever had calamari once. A friend of a friend was from an old Italian family and he got invited over for dinner once. They had calamari. He wasn't even sure at the time what squid were (thought they were some sort of fish) so he endeared himself to their family by eating it and loving it so much when the other guys didn't even want to try it.

That meant he got invited over again later, and then he met the friend of a friend's older sister. She was drop dead gorgeous and older than him, which he found to be even more tantalizing.

Anyway, one thing lead to another, and that was why he had to go to college out of state.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Rex noticed that Bob Johnson had wandered off, and decided to go look for the man. After all, anyone who didn't follow the rules was a potential friend in Rex's book.

He eventually found the man in the hangar. Bob's head tilted back, lost in thought.

"Penny for your thoughts?"
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

[quote=Eternal_Freedom]Ed looked around and frowned.

"Ah great, the squids are here. Finally someone who can show us air force pukes the finer points of flying."[/quote]

Brown grinned. "Well, yeah. Didn't you hear? They're going to test this thing on monkeys first. Then if that works they move up to Air Force guys, then they'll let us fly it. Animal testing, you know?"
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Huh. It appears your psychologists have all been shot/sent to Zyberia/retired in disgust (ie. I set the game's "astronaut level" high instead of low), so you won't be gettig compatibility reports on your astronauts.

This is strange and it sucks, but I'd have to restart the game to fix it. Figures.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
So, if an astronaut quits, we won't know until it actually happens? Or we could be having a cosmonaut going postal in orbit?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

No, despite what it might look like, astronauts and cosmonauts are professionals, and won't let their personal feelings affect the mission.

I guess you will just have to watch mood levels of people assigned to crews and react when they dip. I know it's ridiculous, especially since the opening menu suggests the "astronaut level" is related to the number of people you have available, but that's the situation.

I can skip a round ahead and try to knock off the most terrible matches, though.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Ed looked around and frowned.

Now, what should happen is that one of the squids invites Ed to go try a carrier landing...
PeZook wrote:Huh. It appears your psychologists have all been shot/sent to Zyberia/retired in disgust (ie. I set the game's "astronaut level" high instead of low), so you won't be gettig compatibility reports on your astronauts.

This is strange and it sucks, but I'd have to restart the game to fix it. Figures.
PeZook wrote:No, despite what it might look like, astronauts and cosmonauts are professionals, and won't let their personal feelings affect the mission.

I guess you will just have to watch mood levels of people assigned to crews and react when they dip. I know it's ridiculous, especially since the opening menu suggests the "astronaut level" is related to the number of people you have available, but that's the situation.

I can skip a round ahead and try to knock off the most terrible matches, though.
PLEASE do. This game is fucking impossible enough even when you CAN see what you're doing... [facepalm]

So anyway, we've got numbers for cosmonaut mood, just not for compatibility- for who's mood will erode by being stuck on a team with people they dislike. Gah.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

MISSIONS LAUNCH
SPUTNIK IX, OCTOBER 1962

MERCURY XII, OCTOBER 1962

MERCURY XIII, DECEMBER 1962

SPUTNIK X, DECEMBER 1962

CHAPTER 6: THE FIRST CASUALTIES
Time is: Spring 1963

MURCA
[/size]
THE CAPE
The Animal Preparation and Evaluation lab smelled horrible. The noise was also horrible: the twenty or so chimpanzees that were permanent residents of THE CAPE seemed to welcome their companion, Hammer, back after he was checked out. The damn Chimp was just flown back from the MSS "Loogaboo", which recovered the last Mercury capsule after its unmanned orbital flight. The Director tried not to breathe throug the nose.

"So...the monkeys survived?", he asked Wehrner von Shapp, who, having not much to do with actual human crews last season, formed a strange and possibly disturbing bond with the chimps.

"Apes, actually, but ja, zey survived. You would be interested to know zat these two were the exact same pair used for unmanned testing of the capsules before the unfortunate, ah, OhJesus Disaster."

Von Braun shuddered. The final words of OhJesus still randomly appeared on the base's PA system. Mostly at night. He was starting to seriously disbelieve the reassurances of the science team that they were nothing more than radio waves bouncing off the electrosphere.

"You are kidding, right? We send up these chimps on three flights each and they're just fine, yet the second time we send an astronaut up..."

"Jawohl, mein herr. It appears Gott has a thing for chimps, eh? Zey are certainly a hit with ze ladies of their species now, ja? Two missions each, ho ho!"

"Right...", von Braun petted Hammer on the head, hoping the chimp wouldn't bite his finger off, "I have to go. The paperwork, as always, is piling on my desk."

Fall 1962 kind of...came and went, but the cosmodrome's affairs still needed management. It was a silence before the storm, really: both sides sending up unmanned missions, practicing their procedures, trying out new things, smoothing over any wrinkles....in preparation for this shot, this punsh in the gut, that would catapult one side into clear lead in the race to space.

"DIRECTOR!", Sam Francisco broke von Braun's chain of thought. The senior rocket designer was telling while running towards his boss, "Director! Holy shit, I'm glad I caught you, you just HAVE to read this!", Sam shoved a piece of paper in the Director's face.

"Uh, Sam? I'm headed for a budget meeting, give me a run down. It looks like a checkout schematic for the Mercury, what about it?"

"We found it! We found it!"

von Braun rolled his eyes, "Would you please GET TO THE POINT?!"

Annoyed, Sam huffed and unfolded a giant cardboard cut out, which for some reason had Carter Walkrite on it, reading something off a piece of paper.

"Sir! We've found a failure mode in the heat shield! We discovered that retaining the retropack for reentry, and its securing straps, will hold the shield in place, you see...provide additional security against it misaligning!"

"I thought you were working on an alternative method of fastening the shield to the spacecraft?"

"Yes, but that fix can be used immediately and with no technical modifications!"

"Does this mean..."

"Yes! We could launch tomorrow, and expect no problems with the shield whatsoever!"

von Braun was silent for a moment, considering the implications...and the fact they only stumbled upon it just now. Discovered earlier, it might've saved OhJesus...

"Schedule a meeting with the flight planners. We'll see what we can do."

Code: Select all

Current funds: 106 megabucks

Current astronaut roster: 
MODEMJR - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2 (Mercury/I) ; MOOD: 46
FLASHHEART - CAP 1, LM 0, EVA 4, DOCK 1, END 1 (Mercury/II) ; MOOD: 55
CUNTSER - CAP 3, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 (Mercury/III) ; MOOD: 55
MCCAIN - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 1 (Mercury/IV) ; MOOD: 78 - will retire fall 1963
KELLY - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 2 (Mercury/V) ; MOOD: 53

Astronauts in basic training:
REXMODEM - CAP 2, LM 3, EVA 3, DOCK 1, END 0
BARNESTI - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 4 
RAVENSBURG - CAP 3, LM 3, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 1 
JOHNSON - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 3 
BROWN - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 
CONRAD - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 3 
BORMAN - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 
KNIGHT - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 
GIVENS - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 2 

Other astronauts:
HARDBEEF -  retired spring 1963
OHJESUS - DECEASED, MERCURY IX

Programs running: Explorer, Atlas, Mercury, EVA Suits

Launch pads: 3

Scheduled missions: Launch Pad A, orbital satellite, Mercury/Atlas
                            Launch Pad B,  none
                            Launch Pad C, none
ZENOBIA
[/size]
BAIKONUREK
Syrgy Pavylyvych was seriously shocked. Both Sputnik IX and Sputnik X went off without the slightest technical problem. As if some evil force went away, or perhaps a kindly spirit lent a helping hand. While the Chief Designer was not one to easily fall to superstition, he had to admit the good luck was remarkable. Who knows - perhaps these two first casualties, the noble sacrifices for the cause of human exploration of space would be the last ones?

Da, would be good, Pavylyvych thought as he made his way to Launch Pad B. That was less good: he just received notice that the pad would be closed for repairs. The head of the Department of Maintenance was called, but he wouldn't budge and invited Pavylyvych to come and see the facility's state by himself.

The GAZIK-69 came to a stop right next to the pad, which was covered by scaffolding and lliterally crawling with technicians. Syrgy was aware the spaceport's infrastructure was dilapidated and neglected, but he had no idea it was so bad.

"Da, comrade. We found, many, many problems. Look, here is X-Ray photography of the main structural truss? Completely corroded. Cheaper steel than regulations say, da? And look here, at the blast funnel? Completely worn, we'll have to pour out an entirely new one. Even communications gear is problematic...everything, everything has to be fixed!"

Syrgy was mortified. Had a rocket, or, Lennon forbid, a manned rocket, been launch off this facility, the entire tower would've probably collapsed. It was good they caught it in time.

"I have received your budget report. Ten megarubloids is quite steep."

"Comrade, this entire pad was built for the cheap!", the maintenance chief was waving his arms around in excitation, "There's traces everywhere, cheap steel, cheap cement, cheap water pumps! Everything cheaper than what it was supposed to be! And the difference probably went to some bureaucrat's pocket!"

"Yes, yes, calm down, comrade. Assuming you get the funds, how fast can this be fixed?"

"Six months, no less. It has to be done properly this time, da? Will have to oversee everything myself!"

Syrgy sighed. At least the problem didn't kill anyone this time, but he could already see the Comissar interrogating everyone...AGAIN.

He decided to take solace in paperwork and reports. While he usually hated the sheer drudgery of that work, the reports were rather positive, and it was a sure change from last year's constant problems.

Code: Select all

Current funds: 112 megabucks

Current astronaut roster:
NIKOV - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 2 (VOSHKHOD/I/PILOT) ; MOOD: 40
FAAABIO  - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 3 (VOSHKHOD/I/SPECIALIST) ; MOOD: 73

TITOV - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 (VOSHKHOD/II/PILOT) ; MOOD: 25
DOSTAROVASKI - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3 (VOSHKHOD/II/SPECIALIST) ; MOOD: 37

Cosmonauts in training:
VLADIMIRENSKY  - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 2, DOCK 2, END 3
BRZECZYSZCZ - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 3
YEBANOV - CAP 2, LM 2, EVA 4, DOCK 0, END 1
KARZANOVSKI - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 0, END 3
DIGADITCH - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 3
MAMETOV - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 2, END 2
PETROV - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 1
BELYAYEV - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 1
BEREGOVOY - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 3, END 0

Other cosmonauts:
IVANOVICH - GROUNDED BY MEDICAL PROBLEMS, WILL NEVER FLY AGAIN
IVANOV - DECEASED, VOSTOK VII

Programs running: Sputnik, A-Series, Vostok, Booster stage, Cosmos satellite, Voshkhod

Launch pads: 2

Scheduled missions: Launch pad A, None
                            Launch pad B, Closed for repairs, will need 10 megarubloids
GM Notes:

Done it in one post, since all missions went just fine. From now on I will skip routine flights (unless they explode) and summarize them with a single screencap.

Of course, that last season was remarkable in how unremarkable it was!

The only problems are technical and logistical: Zenobian infrastructure is suffering from neglect and corruption, and it may show up later as well (hint: I skipped ahead and it will, but I won't tell you just how :D )

The two currently serving Voshkhod crews seem decently compatible: the drop in moods isn't higher than expected for a year of no flying. Of course, unless the thing flies soon, the Zenobians WILL lose a crew, and become unable to do manned flights.

On the other front, the Murcans got a SERIOUS break. What does Sam's report mean? Well, basically, the next Mercury flight will get a vastly higher chance of success, since one step failure will be cancelled out. Maybe it was Drago's notes? (Hint: no, since the guy hasn't seen the Mercury for years now and has no access to the piles of documents relating to it :P ), but still: one flight, nearly guaranteed success.

Thing is, it is used up the same both for manned and unmanned missions

Zenobians are clearly in the lead when it comes to their research, though. Murcans better catch up soon, or they'll see commienism seeping to other planets and the Moon via unmanned probes!

EDIT:

Also, a massive paperwork screwup has been corrected. Several comrade cosmonauts had their papers misplaced, but after a mere five month procedure, their names now show correctly in cosmodrome files.

Note that cosmonauts in Zenobian basic training have all gained a point in some of their skills. They still have on year's training left, unless Syrgy Pavylyvych decides to yank some of them out.