Game of Thrones Thread for dudes who haven't read the books

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Game of Thrones Thread for dudes who haven't read the books

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

And don't want book spoilers interfering with discussion of the HBO series. Because someone wanted a place for that and it makes sense.

Spoilers for aired episodes are welcome. Spoilers from the books are not.

Interestingly enough, some websites have taken to posting two reviews for every episode; one by and for people who have read the books and get all excited looking at future episode titles like "The Golden Crown", and one by and for people who are going into it cold and aren't already mourning some characters in advance. I just think that's neat, guys.
GeorgeOrr
Youngling

Re: Game of Thrones Thread for dudes who haven't read the bo

Post by GeorgeOrr »

Thanks for creating the thread.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:Interestingly enough, some websites have taken to posting two reviews for every episode; one by and for people who have read the books and get all excited looking at future episode titles like "The Golden Crown", and one by and for people who are going into it cold and aren't already mourning some characters in advance. I just think that's neat, guys.
Yeah. The AVClub just started that. Unfortunately, the writers there are long-winded, so it's not fun to read them. :)

I'll paste what I said about the most recent episode in the other thread while adding more.

Last night's episode is probably the second best, but I wish we got more of Arya's training. Seeing Eddard kick ass was fun, but it sucks that his age shows that he doesn't have what he used to, going by the dialogue from preceding episodes. Robert continues to be a massive asshole and I hope he is killed this season. I do like the scene with him and Cersei the most, though, because it's great character work and I care more about that than anything else. The "holy shit" moment of the episode was being introduced to Catelyn's sister while breast feeding a young boy.

This series started off slow to me and I was planning on abandoning it. As soon as the episode that concluded with Arya training, however, I decided to stay on and I'm glad I did.

Someone told me that HBOGo will have episode 7 up online immediately after episode six airs this coming Sunday. I haven't looked into it, though.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

That was her son. IIRC he's 6 years old at this point. Kind of a late bloomer with the whole weaning thing.
GeorgeOrr
Youngling

Post by GeorgeOrr »

Setzer wrote:That was her son. IIRC he's 6 years old at this point. Kind of a late bloomer with the whole weaning thing.
Yeah, it just came out of no where. It seems to me that she does that because she appears to be ruthless. I also like the prison cell Tyrion (my second favorite character) was put in. It's like "Yeah, you're in prison. There's only one way out."
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

"You want to escape? Go right ahead. Saves us the trouble of feeding you."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

GeorgeOrr wrote:
Setzer wrote:That was her son. IIRC he's 6 years old at this point. Kind of a late bloomer with the whole weaning thing.
Yeah, it just came out of no where. It seems to me that she does that because she appears to be ruthless. I also like the prison cell Tyrion (my second favorite character) was put in. It's like "Yeah, you're in prison. There's only one way out."
That's because the show cut out oh... forty pages of Eyrie intro? As I said in my comments elsewhere the show just kind of drops the fact on you that she's a little crazy while we see from the book we get some buildup before she introduces the eight year old she still breast feeds. Hopefully we get to know show her next episode.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
GeorgeOrr
Youngling

Post by GeorgeOrr »

Mr Bean wrote:
GeorgeOrr wrote:
That's because the show cut out oh... forty pages of Eyrie intro? As I said in my comments elsewhere the show just kind of drops the fact on you that she's a little crazy while we see from the book we get some buildup before she introduces the eight year old she still breast feeds. Hopefully we get to know show her next episode.
To me it works fine, so I'm not complaining.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:lol: Six posts in and someone already made comparisons to the books. :lol: Just can't unfuck yourselves sometimes can you?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

That's why, aside from this post, I'm going to avoid posting in this thread. After you've re-read the books several times, it's probably impossible to really separate your views arising from the books, from your views on the series.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
GeorgeOrr
Youngling

Post by GeorgeOrr »

Guardsman Bass wrote:That's why, aside from this post, I'm going to avoid posting in this thread. After you've re-read the books several times, it's probably impossible to really separate your views arising from the books, from your views on the series.
Bullshit. It's easily done. It's called "not giving a shit about the differences and realizing that these are two different mediums."
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Talking about stuff that was cut from the books etc should be fine, IMHO. Its the casual spoilerage of major plot points that will happen in the future that really sucks about the other thread.

So far I really like the series. They obviously decided to cut down the roles of some minor characters a lot, in order to focus on the more important people.

I won't elaborate further, without input from some others as to how exactly the spoiler policy is meant in this thread:

I would suggest something along the lines of the following:
Episodes aired - ok
Stuff that happened in the book but was cut - ok
Elaborating on what will happen in the future (whether from book or leaked stuff) - not ok

Comparisons with the books are pretty much unavoidable, but don't have to go down the path the other thread has taken with major plot developments being casually spoiled...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The problem with your second 'ok' is that TV likes to throw stuff back in there at different points. What may have been 40 pages of things people thought were cut may pop up in another episode down the line.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Post by Jade Owl »

Havok wrote:The problem with your second 'ok' is that TV likes to throw stuff back in there at different points. What may have been 40 pages of things people thought were cut may pop up in another episode down the line.
Exactly. For example, the story of Thoros of Myr charging thru the breach during the Siege of Pyke with his flaming sword was cut from the tournament scenes, but popped up again during Jaime’s conversation with Jory outside Robert’s room, a completely new scene not in the books. We shouldn’t assume that because something was cut from the place it appeared in the books that it won’t show up at all. Commenting on the omission might become spoilery.

Those of us who have read the books should avoid posting in this thread at all if we can help it.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Dude, I read the books and I started the thread. I just have the amazing superpower of evaluating shit on its own merits.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:Dude, I read the books and I started the thread. I just have the amazing superpower of evaluating shit on its own merits.
:lol: Smartest board on the internet right? :lol:

It's not hard people. I've read Lord of the Rings before the movies came out and can have a whole conversation about the movies without mentioning the books once. :lol:

It just stinks of pompous "I was in the know before the shows came out".
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

In the books, Ned rode a brown horse. Here he's riding a black horse!

WORST EPISODE EVER.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

So lets talk about the show, then! :lol:

For me, the latest episode (e05) felt very 'rushed' - for lack of a better word - the scenes didn't seem to flow naturally, instead we are basicly shown things that have to happen, without much buildup or time to see the effects.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I think it'll probably flow better when we see Episode 6. I haven't read the books yet, so I'm completely in the dark on what happens next (aside from little nuggets stumbled across the dark corners of the internet here and there) but I have a funny feeling the entire first season will flow even better when watched as a seamless whole.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
GeorgeOrr
Youngling

Post by GeorgeOrr »

Via HBO Go, you can watch episode 7 tonight after episode 6. The only problem is the the stream quality is pretty much shit.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Alas, I have Time Warner. :(

Anyways, today's episode was pretty good, what with Ned finally putting two and two together and Viserys finally getting his crown. My favorite part, though, was Littlefinger practically holding Ned's hand and walking him through the reception. Quick tempers, small minds indeed.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, anyone think Syrio Forel might have survived? He's too awesome a character to die.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Well, it was offscreen, and this series has no qualms about showing death when it does happen.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Kingsguard whom he fought was alive in the throne room later in the episode. Its safe to say Syrio was killed.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, darn, he was a cool character.

So, we have zombies coming from north of the wall, and instead they're focusing on a civil war. Will this really hurt the Stark family as all their power is in the North?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, darn, he was a cool character.

So, we have zombies coming from north of the wall, and instead they're focusing on a civil war. Will this really hurt the Stark family as all their power is in the North?
Well they're about to send their armies and bannermen against the power of Casterly Rock. If the Others come over the wall they'll sweep through the north first, so it seems like a foregone conclusion.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/