Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Yeesh, this is getting tragic.
Fox listened to the news, the Zenobians had lost one too. They didn't seem as evil as they had before, they seemed more human somehow. It was weird. He felt depressed. He still wanted to fly, but it seemed like it might not happen, or if it did, he wouldn't live through it. He wished his older brother was here, the man wasn't as good a pilot, but he could be sagely when needed. In the meantime, he had to look over Rex, there was some family here after all.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

BTW, you people should know that while unmanned capsule tests do not bring prestige, satellite launches do (1 point per succesful launch).

Just though you might want to know
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

OOC: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! My crazed leadership may have blown up two unmanned satellites (or was it three?) But I never got anyone killed! Well, except for the launch pad explosion I assume. But Pavylyvych was the one who did the safety checks, not me, so our dear friend von Evilstein can just accuse him of incompetence! And people'll believe him- Pavylyvych just got a cosmonaut killed, after all! :mrgreen:

Still OOC: Also, goo to know we no longer have to keep track of which Ivan is which! My only regret is that it wasn't von Evilstein who got to send them off to die in the depths of space... :evil: And if anyone's going to assume von Evilstein actually says something along these lines: not where anyone hears him.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

OOC: I'd suggest making your move now, after all, there isn't going to be a better time.

Drago and Fax, who had been picking up on their Spanish, listened to the radio broadcasting the news. Drago sat down.

"Did you know him?" Fax asked.

"Not very well, he was just one of the men in the barracks, but it still hits you."

They hugged, both of them wondering how many people they knew would be having families receiving flags.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Sam sat at his desk, a bottle of something strong cradled in his hands. He looked at the service pistol resting on his desk, that he had managed to get from the deceased guard before the feds finally removed the body. He sighed, putting down the bottle and picking up the weapon. He pulled back the slide a little, just enough to reveal the shining brass of a loaded round. He sat for a minute, just looking at it, before tossing it into a drawer in his desk and locking the gun away. "Not today eh Sam? Work to do." He said, before standing and heading for his lab.
He buried himself in his work, trying to take his mind away from the two dead men that had come from this horrible race. New designs flowed, but none of them would work. He went back to his mercury plans, attempting to work out what went wrong in the re-entry phase.
Spoiler
I'm feeling very sad at this point :( this has quickly turned into an absolute tragedy, and is only getting worse :(

Plan for fall '62:
Schedule an explorer launch, orbital
Full research on Mercury and EVA suits

Question for the director:
Should we bring in some new astronauts?
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

KREAMLEAN, MOOSECOW

Stanislav Shroomanski crumpled the report paper in his hands. A cosmonaut lost, burned alive in space. By an error in the plan. A fatal error. In Pavylyvych's plan.

"Nyet, it can't be," Shroomanski swallowed the lump in his throat. He looked around, watchful for any of sinister Bearzhnev's agents. Now they had what they needed. Leverage. He had hedged his stake on Pavylyvych. They, the vile Thanasian hunchback - whose name Shroomanski could not mention. He knew they would move their pawn against his.

Shroomanski knew he had to move fast.

He left the Kreamlin in a hurry, notifying only those who he trusted.

No one knew where he went.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
I know what you mean.
Rex took a drink at the local bar near The Cape. A lot of men there were drinking after hearing the news. Some were toasting to the Zenobian death, but angry eyes stopped their celebrations. It was a sour afternoon.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Moosecow, Zenobia
Nomenclature swimming pool complex

The phone rang. Bearzhnev climbed out of the pool, annoyed at the interruption. He was proud of his excellent physical shape and body that would be the envy of any former Thanasian bodybuilders, but such manly physique required regular maintenance!

He hoped it was important. He picked the handset up.

"Da, Bearzhnev. Da. Da. I understand.", he said, a smile creeping onto his face.

Yes. A cosmonaut was lost, with Pavylyvych in charge of the space program. That Thanasian von Evilstein did not express much interest in supporting Bearznev's faction, but with such a high-profile failure, Bearznev did not need any Thanasians to give a huge bear-hug to the general secretaly.

He cackled. He fucking cackled and slammed the receiver down. Ominously.

"Da, comrades", he said to his colleagues, all happily frolicking in the swimming pool, "It is time to get Shroomanski!"

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Oh god, its a coup.
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

Von Evilstein immediatly begins trying to get a meeting with Bearzhnev's faction to try to ensure he can get rid of Pavylyvych. He'll support that faction, since it means they'll almost certainly support him. Down with Pavylyvych! And Shroomanski, of course.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

doom3607 wrote:Von Evilstein immediatly begins trying to get a meeting with Bearzhnev's faction to try to ensure he can get rid of Pavylyvych. He'll support that faction, since it means they'll almost certainly support him. Down with Pavylyvych! And Shroomanski, of course.

"Comrade Bearznev is busy now, comrade von Evilstein, but I have five minutes.", said Dryzdyn Spetchkov, the People's Comissar for Industry, "So you are saying here you can do better than Syrgy Pavylyvych, da? What is your plan for changes in the space program?

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

OOC - So Shroomanski's done a runner, Bearznhev is finsihing up the current corridor war via coup, etc etc?

Nikov believes he will have another drink, to commemorate Ivanov's sacrifice - after all, it very nearly could have been HIM up in smoke.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

fnord wrote:OOC - So Shroomanski's done a runner, Bearznhev is finsihing up the current corridor war via coup, etc etc?
Yes. And Karzanovski has returned to the space program.

Probably out of survivor's guilt :)

doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

"Well, obviously the first thing to do is delay any further launches until we have capsules that work again. To save money I'd concentrate on the Voshkod capsule- the Vostok is obselete anyway, and I'd be willing to bet that the heat shield failures were caused by the factory making them trying to make them compatible with two different machines at the same time. In the meantime, we might as well keep launching satellites- no reason not to, the rocket works fine. And I'd start working on a larger rocket while I'm at it- that way, when we need it it'll be ready. But we need to get a manned launch, so I'll delay making the Voshkod the primary capsule since the Vostok remains more reliable for the moment. I will not launch until we figure it's at least 90% reliable, since we can't afford another death. I can't promise we'll beat the Murcans but I can promise we won't lose any more cosmonauts in shoddily-built capsules. Pavylyvych didn't do that- he launched at about 80% reliability, which left at best- assuming an utterly perfect cosmonaut and everything working flawlessly on the rocket- only a one in five chance the cosmonaut would die horribly. I promise that I will never launch a rocket with any component less that 90% safe. You won't hear that from Pavylyvych. And it ought to prevent any more deaths. I will never kill another cosmonaut in a poorly designed and incompetently inspected pod, not and sign off on it like Pavylyvych did. Because while beating the Murcans every step of the way would be nice, killing another cosmonaut would put us so far behind we could never catch up."
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

If we recruit a second batch of 'nauts, can I put one forwards? It's just if things get any more sad, Sam isn't going to last much longer...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Sure you can, there's nine spots to fill. Plenty of space.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

doom3607 wrote:"Well, obviously the first thing to do is delay any further launches until we have capsules that work again. To save money I'd concentrate on the Voshkod capsule- the Vostok is obselete anyway, and I'd be willing to bet that the heat shield failures were caused by the factory making them trying to make them compatible with two different machines at the same time. In the meantime, we might as well keep launching satellites- no reason not to, the rocket works fine. And I'd start working on a larger rocket while I'm at it- that way, when we need it it'll be ready. But we need to get a manned launch, so I'll delay making the Voshkod the primary capsule since the Vostok remains more reliable for the moment. I will not launch until we figure it's at least 90% reliable, since we can't afford another death. I can't promise we'll beat the Murcans but I can promise we won't lose any more cosmonauts in shoddily-built capsules. Pavylyvych didn't do that- he launched at about 80% reliability, which left at best- assuming an utterly perfect cosmonaut and everything working flawlessly on the rocket- only a one in five chance the cosmonaut would die horribly. I promise that I will never launch a rocket with any component less that 90% safe. You won't hear that from Pavylyvych. And it ought to prevent any more deaths. I will never kill another cosmonaut in a poorly designed and incompetently inspected pod, not and sign off on it like Pavylyvych did. Because while beating the Murcans every step of the way would be nice, killing another cosmonaut would put us so far behind we could never catch up."
Spetchkov put his hands together and asked a very pointed question, "But comrade, didn't you accuse Pavylyvych of the very same cautious approach you are now proposing, criticizing it as too cautious and prone to costing Zenobia the space race? It is no good to us to get to the Moon second place, and your proposal, as I understand it, will require a great many test flights, will it not?"

Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Vladimir entered the Baikonurek base with a heavy heart. Today, he'd make his first step towards his dream. One small step, granted, but the first of many that would lead him to space one day. It was supposed to be a happy day. He did not feel particularly happy. And he had ran out fine Zenobian vodka during the long journey along the motherland's steppe's. More than anything, he needed a drink right now. Or two. or three.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Young Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov, blinking back tears, swears that one day, he will fulfill his father's dream of pissing on Murca from orbit.

He also tries to sign up for the cosmonaut program immediately, and is rejected on the grounds that he is five. Yet the Party takes note of his dedication. He knows nothing yet of political machinations, but he will learn.

Test pilot PETR PETROVICH PETROV, coming from testing the Suck-15 interceptor, a close friend to the Ivanov family, has put his name in for the next group of cosmonauts selected.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

HAH

It is possible to change astronaut names by hex edit haxxxoring.

Comrade Petrov is ordered to report to administration ; Apparently, there has been a paperwork mishap which needs to be cleared up.

Remember to carry properly filled out forms 52A, 52B/I, 9845/WTF/1, CB8 and the all-important CMHR/LOL/5, and we should have this cleared up within a mere few months.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

OOC - The Zenobian program needs a cynical Armenian, Shnarker, but I doubt I can pull it off.

I guess if Nikov goes up in smoke, the program will have to lift up the moustache and slide Marko DIGADITCH, the Salvation War ace, under it.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Since Shroom has pretty much disappeared, does that mean he can still give out orders or will there be a absence of power that is swiftly taken by the Politburo?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It ain't over 'till it's over, as the man said.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Actually, I'd love to hear Teddy's response on all this once something develops. I'm curious how he'll react now that something bad is happening to someone else.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Ah, which reminds me.

Washingtoff, Murca
The Hill

Honorable representatives of our Nation. I stand before you today to warn you, to warn you that a great battle is now being fought around the world. A battle which has already seen casualties. Just like with any other fight for a good and just cause, it is imperative that we make sure these casualties were not in vain.

If we are to win the battle that is now going on around the world between freedom and tyranny, the dramatic events in spaceflight which occurred in recent weeks should have made clear to us all, as did the Sputnik in 1958, the impact of this adventure on the minds of men everywhere, who are attempting to make a determination of which road they should take. Since the first days of my term, our efforts in space have been under review. With the advice of the Vice President, who is Chairman of the National Space Council, we have examined where we are strong and where we are not, where we may succeed and where we may not. Now it is time to take longer strides–time for a great new Murcan enterprise–time for this nation to take a clearly leading role in space achievement, which in many ways may hold the key to our future on earth.

I believe we possess all the resources and talents necessary. But the facts of the matter are that we have never made the national decisions or marshaled the national resources required for such leadership. We have never specified long-range goals on an urgent time schedule, or managed our resources and our time so as to insure their fulfillment.

Recognizing the head start obtained by the Zenobians with their large rocket engines, which gives them many months of lead-time, and recognizing the likelihood that they will exploit this lead for some time to come in still more impressive successes, we nevertheless are required to make new efforts on our own. For while we cannot guarantee that we shall one day be first, we can guarantee that any failure to make this effort will make us last. We take an additional risk by making it in full view of the world, but as shown by the feat of astronaut [INSERT NAME], this very risk enhances our stature when we are successful. But this is not merely a race. Space is open to us now; and our eagerness to share its meaning is not governed by the efforts of others. We go into space because whatever mankind must undertake, free men must fully share.

I therefore ask the Congress, above and beyond the increases I have earlier requested for space activities, to provide the funds which are needed to meet the following national goals:

First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish. We propose to accelerate the development of the appropriate lunar space craft. We propose to develop alternate liquid and solid fuel boosters, much larger than any now being developed, until certain which is superior. We propose additional funds for other engine development and for unmanned explorations–explorations which are particularly important for one purpose which this nation will never overlook: the survival of the man who first makes this daring flight. But in a very real sense, it will not be one man going to the moon–if we make this judgment affirmatively, it will be an entire nation. For all of us must work to put him there.

Yet the vows of this Nation can only be fulfilled if we in this Nation are first, and, therefore, we intend to be first. In short, our leadership in science and industry, our hopes for peace and security, our obligations to ourselves as well as others, all require us to make this effort, to solve these mysteries, to solve them for the good of all men, and to become the world's leading space-faring nation.

We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For space science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the Murcan people occupy a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theater of war. I do not say that we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of space any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea, but I do say that space can be explored and mastered without feeding the fires of war, without repeating the mistakes that man has made in extending his writ around this globe of ours.

There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why fly across oceans? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon... (interrupted by applause) we choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our menergies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

Many years ago the great Anglian explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."

Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked.