No Ordinary Family Cancelled

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

No Ordinary Family Cancelled

Post by Lord Insanity »

From IGN. It never fails, I seem to constantly like the shows that get cancelled. The season (now series) finale really set up a good plot line for (a now hypothetical) season 2 too. :banghead:
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: No Ordinary Family Cancelled

Post by Ahriman238 »

Suprise fills me.

Not.

What puzzles me is how every network is complaing they have no money, so they're killing all the shows that draw viewers and make them money.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

So can you prove that the show was performing well enough to keep or are you just mad that a show you like is being cancelled.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Wow, genre television's taken a hit this year. Cancellations all across the board.
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

Ahriman238 wrote:Suprise fills me.

Not.

What puzzles me is how every network is complaing they have no money, so they're killing all the shows that draw viewers and make them money.
Um ... no, no one does that at all. It got canceled because no one watched it.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Magellan wrote: Um ... no, no one does that at all. It got canceled because no one watched it.

It does happen. One that sticks in my mind is Angel. Low cost relative to other shows that was on the network and second highest rated show on the network, got cancelled due to power play and internal politics.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Marikina
Redshirt

Post by Marikina »

The problem with these myth arc and comic book style shows is that unless your name is JJ Abrams, you don't have the luxury of dragging your feet or worse having no direction with your storylines. A general prerequisite IMO for these type of shows in the future is to have Vampire Diaries-style lightning-fast pacing.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

:( This is a bummer. A big one.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

First couple episodes were good, then it drug on and then fizzled and got quite dumb IMO. Not surprised it got canceled, even the wife and kids who liked it more than I did got tired of it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Look if this show was a good show then BRISCO COUNTY JR was a potential bonanza that would have rivaled MASH if properly supported.

How many of you kids will end up having to Google Brisco County Jr now...
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This was a show that started out with an interesting pilot and the consistently failed to deliver. Frankly, it just had too many episodes. The only TV shows that can sustain more than 12-13 episodes per season are half-hour (20 minutes without commercials) comedies.

Every good live-action show I watch now that runs for an hour only has 12-13 episodes, without exception.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I don't think having too many episodes is the problem. The problem is having too many episodes where nothing fucking happens.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm going to get my superhero fix with Alphas this summer. Hopefully SyFy won't butcher it.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Look if this show was a good show then BRISCO COUNTY JR was a potential bonanza that would have rivaled MASH if properly supported.

How many of you kids will end up having to Google Brisco County Jr now...
:lol: Brisco County Jr was another of the many shows I liked that never seem to get more than one season. Apparently and frustratingly a good metric for whether a show will get bad ratings is: "Do I and several of my friends and family like it?" :banghead:
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Vympel wrote:This was a show that started out with an interesting pilot and the consistently failed to deliver. Frankly, it just had too many episodes. The only TV shows that can sustain more than 12-13 episodes per season are half-hour (20 minutes without commercials) comedies.

Every good live-action show I watch now that runs for an hour only has 12-13 episodes, without exception.
I don't know about currently running shows, but an obvious example of a hit with long seasons is The X-Files. You may disagree that it was good of course, but it was popular and successful for a long time and its seasons were consistently in the 20+ episode range as I recall.

Pretty sure Star Trek had longer seasons too.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Vympel wrote:This was a show that started out with an interesting pilot and the consistently failed to deliver. Frankly, it just had too many episodes. The only TV shows that can sustain more than 12-13 episodes per season are half-hour (20 minutes without commercials) comedies.

The West Wing was considered the top drama on television for a few years running 22 episodes a season. Of course the main writer burned out by the end of season 4 and the quality dropped off from there so it probably isn't a good model to follow in terms of viability.