Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I'm not sure how we could possibly avoid having Porfirij Yebanov be part of the second cosmonaut class.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If we are somehow forced to use the one-man lunar lander, Comrade Yebanov is going down to the surface on it!

Seriously, PeZook? Throw Comrade Porfiry Yebanov in.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Whoever said you wanted Drago back? It's a personal thing for the Premier.

And sure, he can run. Getting out of the country, though? Not gonna be easy...
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Premier is that pissed off about someone running from his speech?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Premier is pissed off that some assholes openly attacked the Zenobian Onion and stole his people. What do you think'll happen if someone attacks a vessel belonging to a nuclear power?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

FaxModem1 wrote:The Premier is that pissed off about someone running from his speech?
He doesn't care about Drago specifically (though the NKVDVDROM does for obvious reasons), he cares about the torpedoing and "abductions". It's a matter of prestige. The Wowsow Pact looks up to Zenobia to see if it can protect them from Murcan agression (Or to see if they are strong enough to make breaking off unwise), so it has to appear strong.

Plus, of couse, if Zenobians get it into their heads you can just run to a Murcan sub and be home free, they might start running. The Premier cares about his people, it would be horrible if Border Guard troops would have to start shooting them.

On another note...duh, of course there's going to be a Yebanov in your roster :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

THE CAPE, Murca

BIFF MCCAIN put aside his teacup. Ever since his time at the Hamoi Hellton, he had developed a taste for the stuff. He had to be careful though, if the MBI guys knew he was into that kind of stuff, they might question his patriotism. Drago and Fax suddenly walked pass him, and BIFF had to act fast and drink all of the hot tea before they knew what it was. It burned BIFF's throat, but it also tasted so good. He had to hide his filthy secret.

As he choked on the hot tea, another person settled on the couch beside him. It was OHJESUS.

"You lucky mang, you'll be the first one to launch into space, with the rocket between your legs, rocking so hard, I envy you man." OHJESUS gave him a Jeebus Side Hug.

"Yeah, I just hope those eggheads make it safe. As much as I like riding rockets, we gotta use some protection, y'know?" BIFF MCCAIN replied. He was a bit nervous, and even though he exercised and oiled himself all the time, he still couldn't shake off his worries and insecurities. Sometimes he'd still have flashbacks to Hamoi Hellton. He held himself tightly.

OHJESUS was a religulous man and was something of a chaplain, many of the other astronauts came to him and he'd read the Bibel to them and talk about Jeebus.

"I know, BIFF. I know how you feel. Times are tough, with the Zenobians ahead, and all these base break ins and Fax getting his heart broken," OHJESUS said. "And now the Zenobians are raising hell 'cause of that crazy sub captain, all hell might break lose and we'll be in Salvation War Part Tres!"

"I thought the Salvation War Part Tres was canceled because some Youkrainian kid two-rented it!" BIFF exclaimed.

"Well, the publisher just called, and if shit hits the fan, we'll be seeing Part Tres in the shelves pretty soon," OHJESUS replied.

"That sucks. Two Salvation Wars are enough. I don't want any more of that," BIFF sighed. The Salvation Wars were horrible. The entire planet was devastated by them. They dragged on and on, as though they would never end, and even though it resulted in a one-sided curbstomp on part of the victors, the horrers had still scarred all the survivors. He had seen war too, and wanted none of it again.

"Don't worry, BIFF. We're playing our own part in beating the Zenobians to space. When it comes down to it, all that matters will be our balls, and I'm sure we've got bigger pairs than those shriveled communoids! They're all sapped and impurified with their bodily fluids, not like us, well oiled and greased!" OHJESUS said enthusiastically. "Come on, BIFF. Say it with me. Balls!"

"Balls," BIFF said half-heartedly.

"Come on, louder! Faster!" OHJESUS encouraged. "Balls! Balls! Balls!"

"Balls!" BIFF shouted. He was starting to feel it get hard.

"Even louder! Come on! Louder!"

"BALLS!" BIFF screamed as he started to jump on his couch.

"WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THE SATAN MERKATRIGNAMARA OUT TO GET YOU?!" OHJESUS screamed back.

"BALLS SAID LIEUTENANT MIKE WONG!" BIFF shouted with all his might, convulsing as he did so before collapsing on his couch, exhausted.

"Attaboy!" OHJESUS applauded as he slapped BIFF on his swollen balls.

"Thanks, man," BIFF panted.

"No problem, BIFF. Good luck with your flight." OHJESUS said as he went off to hold a Jeebus Bibel study with some of the other astronauts.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

FaxModem1 wrote:Drago and Fax looked at each other. Fax came to Sam.

"We're gonna book. If you want to stop us, now is your chance. But if you have a decent bone in your body, you'll give us a head start."
"You know I didn't hear you say that" Sam said, setting down a mug, and pulling out his wallet "And I certainly didn't give you two hundred bucks" He says, handing over a stack of bills. He shakes Drago's hand, and then Fax's "It's been a pleasure working with the two of you. There's an airport down the road, I'm sure one of you can fly. I hear mexico is pretty beautiful this time of year. Now get going" He says, turning back to his plans, fighting all sorts of emotion.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

It's a characterization thing. Syrgy's a basically serious character; someone has to be the straight man in all this comedy.
This is funny, because I decided to play Sam pretty serious from the start, for much the same reasons. The butt slapping and accountancy errors were just amusing though.
So yeah, both rocket designers are dead serious :P
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fax salutes in respect to Sam, and then takes Drago's hand and runs to his truck. They hop in and exit the base, driving to the airport as quickly as possible.

Added in a salute.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Sam stays looking at his plans as the two men leave, and begins putting together a proposal for the Director upon his return, drawing up initial plans for a shuttle which could be mounted atop a rocket.
"Hmm... I wonder if we could construct a pair of weapons bays strong enough to deal with re-entry... Maybe not a good idea for the proposal. Things have been getting crazy enough without the deployment of orbital nuclear munitions."

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Airport near the Cape

Fax's truck parked at a hangar, where he and Drago exited carrying their bags and American passports. A lone maintenance worker, bored and half asleep, would later wake up to find two twenties on the desk next to him and a small Learjet missing. The plane was fueled, and they took off, heading for greener pastures in a country that didn't want to send them to the Zenobians.

Drago asked Fax. "But what about your dream? Of seeing the stars?"

Fax sighed, knowing that dream was now never going to happen. "I'd rather have this."

The plane flew, destination unknown to anyone but those two inside.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Spoiler
Damn... Why did something meant to be so funny become so damn tragic :(

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

How did Drago get a passport? He's not a citizen, not even a legal resident.

Plus of course good luck finding a Learjet in a random hangar in 1961 :P

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Use a beechcraft light aircraft. And I doubt you'll need a passport if you're breaking into Merritt island airport :P It's tiny, and was smaller in the 60's.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fine, its a beechcraft light aircraft instead.
Spoiler
And to think, Fax and Drago were originally comedic characters, until that whole random event of the Soviets reacquiring a scientist of theirs. Then, I just ran with it.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, by one unlikely conincidence after another :P

Anyways...I guess it's time to strike Fax off the roster? :D

Even if you're arrested in Mohico and extradited, I doubt you'll be getting back on the space program ;)

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[A little pomposity]

Baikonurek Cosmodrome
December 20, 1960
Announcement by the Chief Designer

Glory to the Motherland, we have successfully sent the first mang into space! Congratulations to all our many engineers, technicians, scientists, and of course the comrade cosmonauts, but also to the ordinary men and women on this base, the security staff, the secretaries, the maintenance crews, the sign-dusters. All have done their part, and all have triumphed! Our program is flush with cash and prestige, and we have made fools of the Murcans.

New instructions in light of recent technical discoveries will be made shortly. The upcoming year will be a time of great progress in research and development, and all technical personnel must brace themselves to their duties with redoubled effort! I know I can expect the best from you all, and you know that everything that can be done, will be done!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

That's if they're caught. And then again, we're talking about the Merican space program, whose volunteers have been rather lacking in numbers. Either that, or they somehow resolve the situation with the Premier. I don't see that happening.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Actually, what will this do to the Murcan-Zenobian relations, considering that the Premier REALLY wants Drago back?
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Hey pezook, Am I right in saying we're planning for the Fall of 1961, with 69 megabucks?
Or are we planning for spring 61?
If its fall and we have less cash than that, how much do we (the muricans) have.
I'm afraid I cant find any of eternals plans :P
Spoiler
Fax, they'll probably just invade mehico together :P

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The Premier will be pretty angry. I suppose :)

52nd Baris International Air Show opens soon

The most prestigious and respected events of the sort in the world, this year's Air Show in Baris, Stenchia, will be something spectacular. The organizers have decided to expand the scope of the event towards spaceflight, due to the new and exciting developments in the field.

Both superpowers have pledged to send representatives to the show, mostly to brag about their accomplishments and the length and girth of their rockets. While we here in Stenchia all know it's not about the size but, as the poet said, compétences et l'enthousiasme, we are sure the sights will be nevertheless quite spectacular.

We here at the La Merde wish all the best to the participants and expect a spectacle magnifique! Do not let us down, you lovable nuclear armed devils you!

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

barnest2 wrote:Hey pezook, Am I right in saying we're planning for the Fall of 1961, with 69 megabucks?
Or are we planning for spring 61?
You are at the start of Spring 1961 with 69 megabucks.

Congress has been a bit tight on your purse strings, yeah. Refer to This post.

I might do another thread soon with an index of every turn and their results, but not now.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

PeZook wrote: You are at the start of Spring 1961 with 69 megabucks.

Congress has been a bit tight on your purse strings, yeah. Refer to This post.

I might do another thread soon with an index of every turn and their results, but not now.
That would be cool. Right:
I'm assuming we don't have the cash for those launches. That will cost us 18MB
Also: R&D mercury, 5 teams costs 5MB
R&D EVA, 5 teams costs 5MB
(thats 28MB so far, leaving 41MB. I'm going to aim to save lots of cash this year)
Also, schedule a manned orbital assuming the spring sub-orbital goes ok.
And another manned suborbital (do the sub-orbital before the orbital)
Crew for the sub-orb will be Ohjesus/Hardbeef
Crew for the orb mish will be Cunster/Modemjr

Then, in fall of '61, we shall do:
5 teams research on both EVA suits and mercury (10MB)
Those launches will cost us 12MB in rockets and such
(That leaves us 19MB to carry over to next year)
schedule lots of launches.
Manned orbital will mcCain/Kelly
Manned duration with... can you reuse crews from last year? At which point Ohjesus/hardbeef

Of course these launches all depend on mercury not exploding lots. I'll get back to you if that happens :P

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

barnest2 wrote: Crew for the orb mish will be Cunster/Modemjr
You have a problem.