Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Let's play: Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Vehrec wrote:Ah for one, recommend full research on mercury, buying prototype EVA suits, full research on EVA suits, and putting funds aside to purchase our next-generation rocket as soon as possible. Once we've successfully orbited a man, and maxed out research on the Mercury, we can start on the Duration mission, but I think more than three days in that capsule will be hellish. So just a duration B mission, for the time being until we can prepare somethin' more comfortable.
We have initiated the EVA Suit program, with 1 team. As son as I know what the budget is come Spring 1961, I'll look at maxing the research on that and also allocating funds to a "Titan reserve."

Unless, of course, you think we should just go the whole hog and start saving for Saturn.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Disadvantage-testing solo can result in a lot of dead -nauts. Do not test EVA suits before you have a 2 man capsule if you value the lives of your men-operate under the buddy system!

Also, we should totally throw two of our less talented 'nauts into EVA training, the poor bastards. The real Buzz Aldrin made his first claim to fame in that pool, so maybe we'll get lucky.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:We have initiated the EVA Suit program, with 1 team. As son as I know what the budget is come Spring 1961, I'll look at maxing the research on that and also allocating funds to a "Titan reserve."

Unless, of course, you think we should just go the whole hog and start saving for Saturn.
Ah, no sir, we've got enough on our plate as is without putting the big mother hubber on there at the moment. Lot of lessons to learn.
Spoiler
We'll want that transfer bonus from Titan and Atlas combined anyways. Every research team saved on Saturn is six MB in the bank.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Good point on the training.

PeZook? PLease detail astronauts Cunter, ModemJr and Flasheart to advanced EVA training.

And vehrec, no I won't be testing EVA until we have Gemini/Titan flying. But doing it now while we can saves us money for later.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

CHAPTER 5: THE (NOT) FINAL SHOWDOWN
Time is: Fall 1960

MURCA
[/size]
THE CAPE
Tests. Tests, tests, tests and more tests. The flight schedule for 1960 was full of unmanned tests of the Mercury capsule. Megabucks were thrown away on flight hardware and post-accident analysis of the Mercury capsules. And this year would be no different.

Except for the part where Zenobian spies penetrated THE CAPE and abducted their defector, right from an astronaut's cot. Several astronauts were visibly shaken, their oiled up chests not quite as glistening as before, and their industrial lubricant consumption way down.

Johnny von Braun was being pressured from all sides. He had to yield - eventually - but he'd make damn sure the first manned flight would be a total success, even if he had to give the Zenobians their milestone.

Fucking Zenobians. Fucking communoids.

Code: Select all

Current funds: 42 megabucks

Current astronaut roster: 
MODEMJR - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2
FLASHHEART - CAP 1, LM 0, EVA 4, DOCK 1, END 1
CUNTSER - CAP 3, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 
MCCAIN - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 1 
KELLY - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 2 
HARDBEEF - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2
OHJESUS - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1

Programs running: Explorer, Atlas, Mercury

Launch pads: 3

Scheduled missions: Launch Pad A, unmanned suborbital, Mercury/Atlas
                            Launch Pad B, unmanned earth orbital, Mercury/Atlas
                            Launch Pad C, unmanned earth orbital, Mercury/Atlas

ZENOBIA
[/size]
BAIKONUREK
The tension was palpable. This season would be the most important one to date, and everybody knew that.

It didn't help that apparently a saboteur was on the loose inside the cosmodrome. As the Vostok capsules arrived from their final fitting, were tested and integrated with their boosters, Baikonurek became a veritable fortress, with guards and vodka bottles everpresent and ill-tempered. Many innocent technicians were arrested, and foul capitalist rodents outright exterminated for attempted sabotage on power and computer cables.

Then, finally, it was time. The first of the two launches loomed. It would still be months before the first Zenobian manned mission, but the data gathered from the Vostok's first flight would be critical.

Current funds: 48 megabucks

KARZANOVSKI - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2 (VOSTOK/V)
IVANOV - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 (VOSTOK/IV)
FAAABIO  - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 3 (VOSTOK/I)
DOSTAROVASKI - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3 (VOSTOK/III)
IVANOVICH - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 2, END 3 (VOSTOK/VI)
NIKOV - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 2 (VOSTOK/VII)
TITOV - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 (VOSTOK/II)

WARNING: Comrades assigned to Vostok II have regained their good moods and composure.

Programs running: Sputnik, A-Series, Vostok, Booster stage

Launch pads: 2

Scheduled missions: Launch pad A, unmanned suborbital, A-Series/Vostok
                            Launch pad B, manned suborbital, A-Series/Vostok

MISSIONS LAUNCH
MERCURY III, SEPTEMBER 1960

Von Braun watched the rocket rise. The tremendous manly labors that went into correcting all (or as many as possible) previous problems with the Mercury capsule better pay off!

The flight controllers monotonously read out passing mission steps...and to everyone's amazement, the capsule re-entered properly and gently glided into the sea on its parachutes.

Success! There would be much manly rejoicing tonight!
VOSTOK I, OCTOBER 1960
"Comrade director!", dr. von Evilstein said with great dishonesty, "How is the product of your mind doing? No sudden inexplicable problems?

Syrgy Pavyllych didn't answer. von Evilstein had been strangely cooperative for the last few months, and neither the new program director nor the comissar could figure out why. Still, with the outcome of the Kremlin corridor battles still uncertain, it was wiser not to needlessly antagonize the man.

While the altercation was happening, the pad crew was running the countdown. Syrgy was just about ready to sit down in his comfortable chair, when an alarm blared.

"Clear the pad! Clear the pad!", someone shouted over the radio. The high-speed cameras recording the launch started showing thick smoke billowing from the rocket's first stage.

"PIZDETS!", one of the engineers yelled, banging on his console.

Syrgy seemed slightly dismayed, but tried not to show it, reassuring his team instead, "Do not worry, comrades. We will find the problem and correct it!"
MERCURY IV, OCTOBER 1960
Mercury IV was more complicated than III, as it was supposed to have been a full orbital mission.

...yeah. It didn't go that well. Turned out the rocket wasn't quite debugged yet.

MERCURY V, NOVEMBER 1960

...what a fucking year.

Still, progress was being made. Nobody died, but Johnny von Braun felt he would have to schedule a really long and really unpleasant meeting with the Senate Budget Comittee pretty soon.
VOSTOK II, DECEMBER 1960

"Mission approved, comrades. Green light."

The state reporter snapped several photos of the hero of the hour. Comrade Cosmonaut Faaabio Elenin, the first man to leave Earth's atmosphere. And, presumably, return alive.

Syrgy Pavylyvych shook the man's hand and wished him good luck, before the cosmonaut boarded his bus.

"I have to get a smoke", the old rocket engineer said, watching the bus leave towards the rocket looming in the distance. He knew perfectly well the Vostok was as ready as it would be, but it still had many problems that were impossible to resolve with groundside testing.

The risk was great. Extremely great, which made comrade Faaabio's bravery all the more profound, as he knew the risk perfectly.

And it wasn't just technical risks. The control room was packed with generals, Party officials, reporters from "Only Pravda" and a myriad other VIPs, every single one of whom possessed the authority to ruin Syrgy's career.

"Comrades, we are ready for launch.", the pad chief reported, "Countdown is at 15 seconds and holding. We are awaiting the green light."

"Green light. Proceed with countdown."

"Da, comrade. Fifteen. Fourtreen. Thirteen. Twelve. Eleven. Ten. Nine. Eight. Ignition starting...seven...six...five...four...three...two...one..."

The rocket rose with a mighty roar.

"Farewell, good friends! See you upon my return!"

"Copy that, Vostok-II. All reading are nomnal. You are gaining altitude."

"Everything is fine on my end."

"Standby for staging...", an engineer monitoring engine performance was reading out, "Staging complete...capsule on ballistic trajectory..."

"I see many flames...approaching black *krszztstzt*"

Second ticked. Syrgy caught himself biting his nails. Would the heat shield hold?

There was no communications or telemetry. Silence fell inside the control room.

"Comrade! Comrade, recovery troops reporting - they see a parachute! They have a parachute!"

A grainy helicopter-mounted camera focused on a distant figure.

"It is good to be back, comrades!"

Notes: URRA! Comrade Faabio survives the first manned Vostok launch, and thus becomes the first human to ever leave Earth's atmosphere.

Meanwhile, Murcans are still experiencing teething problems on their capsules, and running test flight after test flight, with their first manned mission not scheduled until May.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

PeZook, scrub the initial schedules in Spring 1961.

I want a manned Mercury/Atlas suborbital flight with McCain as primary and Kelly as backup,

Followed by a Manned orbital flight with Hardbeef as prime and OhJesus as backup.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

CHAPTER 5: THE (NOT) FINAL SHOWDOWN
Time is: Spring 1961

MURCA
[/size]
THE CAPE
NEIN! NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!

The screams echoed in the night. The Zenobians left the Earth! They have already tainted space with their communism! NO! THAT WAS NOT PROPER!

Johnny von Braun was in despair. He knew what would happen next.

The Red Phone rang. The Director lifted the headset with a shaking hand.

"Mr. von Braun! Eeet iz good to be able to verk with you, ja! It is Gunther Munhausen. Ve met on ze technological conference in Old Yorkens a few year ago? Jawohl, I have been asked by the President to come out of retirement and aid your program. I vill be arriving presently, ja?"

Current funds: 69 megabucks

MODEMJR - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 1, END 2 (Mercury/I)
FLASHHEART - CAP 1, LM 0, EVA 4, DOCK 1, END 1 (Mercury/II)
CUNTSER - CAP 3, LM 3, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 (Mercury/III)
MCCAIN - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 1 (Mercury/IV)
KELLY - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 2, END 2 (Mercury/V)
HARDBEEF - CAP 3, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2 (Mercury/VI)
OHJESUS - CAP 4, LM 1, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 (Mercury/VII)

Programs running: Explorer, Atlas, Mercury, EVA Suits

Launch pads: 3

Scheduled missions: Launch Pad A, unmanned suborbital, Mercury/Atlas
                            Launch Pad B, unmanned earth orbital, Mercury/Atlas
                            Launch Pad C, manned suborbital, Mercury/Atlas, McCain/Kelly

ZENOBIA
[/size]
BAIKONUREK

Nubile young cadets paraded on the tarmac. Cosmonaut Faabio was being carried by his comrades. Vodka and champagne bottles were opened and sprayed their ejaculations all over the cosmonauts and the short-skirted air force cadets.

There was a band that tried to play the Zenobian national anthem, but nobody listened to it.

Everybody wanted a piece of Faaabio. From generals and Party bigwigs to the lowliest technical worker from Baikonurek, everyone wanted to shake his hand. There were invitations to the Kremlin, promises of awards and honors.

Even Syrgy was satisfied. Well, until he was handed a technical report from the Krasnyj Oktabr Rocket Factory about the next batch of A-Series rockets. On the other hand, that evening the Premier himself called, and promised a vast pile of additional funding to help the space program along.

All in all, it would be one hell of a New Year's party at Baikonurek.

Current funds: 132 megabucks

KARZANOVSKI - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 2 (VOSTOK/V)
IVANOV - CAP 4, LM 2, EVA 0, DOCK 1, END 1 (VOSTOK/IV)
FAAABIO  - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 3 (VOSTOK/I)
DOSTAROVASKI - CAP 2, LM 0, EVA 1, DOCK 1, END 3 (VOSTOK/III)
IVANOVICH - CAP 2, LM 1, EVA 3, DOCK 2, END 3 (VOSTOK/VI)
NIKOV - CAP 4, LM 0, EVA 2, DOCK 0, END 2 (VOSTOK/VII)
TITOV - CAP 3, LM 1, EVA 1, DOCK 0, END 1 (VOSTOK/II)

Programs running: Sputnik, A-Series, Vostok, Booster stage

Launch pads: 2

Scheduled missions: Launch pad A, unmanned earth orbital, A-Series/Vostok
                            Launch pad B, manned earth orbital, A-Series/Vostok

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:PeZook, scrub the initial schedules in Spring 1961.

I want a manned Mercury/Atlas suborbital flight with McCain as primary and Kelly as backup,

Followed by a Manned orbital flight with Hardbeef as prime and OhJesus as backup.
The manned orbital can be done, but in fall 1961 at the soonest.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Ok, nevermind we've already got a manned orbital scheduled for Spring.

Right.

Schedule two manned orbital flights (Mercury/Atlas) for Fall 61:
Flight 1: McCain as primary and Kelly as backup,
Flight 2: Hardbeef as prime and OhJesus as backup.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Class II Astronauts are now available for both sides for 15 megabucks.

Also, I has graphs! Since we're in the 1960s and all :D

As you can see, comrade Syrgy will now gain significant favor within the Politburo. However, the Zenobian space capsules remain significantly less safer than their Murcan counterparts.

Despite the Murcans lagging in the race, they might still regain their composure if they are careful with their decision-making.

It is also about time to decide on the lunar landing model you will want to use ; You will pretty much have to research the Titan, but further moves are nowhere near as clear-cut.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

...Wow. Good news, tons of money. Bad news, rocket reliability is in the toilet, which screws up our reliability to the point where it is... fatally inadvisable to launch cosmonauts.

SHITS!

I'm going to need to think very hard about what to do next.

In the spirit of good spacemanship, I wish the Murcans luck with their orbital shot.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

My apologies to the Murcan team: I have mistakenly listed a manned earth orbital on pad C. The actual mission is a manned SUBorbital. The error had been rectified.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Ok, nevermind we've already got a manned orbital scheduled for Spring.

Right.

Schedule two manned orbital flights (Mercury/Atlas) for Fall 61:
Flight 1: McCain as primary and Kelly as backup,
Flight 2: Hardbeef as prime and OhJesus as backup.

That should be 12 MB, leaving us with 57.
The Spring launches will be 18 MB, so we'll be at 39 MB.

Max out R&D on the EVA suits and send ModmJR, Cuntser and Flasheart to EVA training.

The rest of the money, leave it, put it aside for Titan and Gemini in a few seasons.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm going away for several hours, and I don't promise to have a plan for next season until tonight- I'll try to get something out before I go to bed, though the situation is complicated enough that I don't really want to make promises.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I am going to sleep now. Take your time and think it through. Maybe roleplay a bit, you have a reason to celebrate :)

EDIT: Also, the Murcans may yet steal the "1 person craft" and "first manned orbital" achievements! This is exciting!

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

The Still in the middle of the swamp was growing. Now there was a gravel road to it, courtesy of the construction crews who were currently pocketing their botttles of Rocket Fuel. The moonshine was shockingly popular on the base, especially with the new flavoring that Billy Bob had picked up from his friends in the Astronaut Food production lab. Apple Pie, Cherry and Green Pea food paste were unpopular, but the moonshine equivelents...

Anyways. Billy Bob held court out here, in the Hobo Jungle that was his still and the gossip that flowed around it. A treeline separated them from the Official Observation area, where on launch days the guests and VIPs were gathered. The Unoffical Observation area-the staff and crew and construction workers place-was right here, the view of Pad 1 slightly obscured, but if you leaned you could see it. Here, the most humble and red-necked rocket scientist in the world watched silently the empty pads, remembering past launches and dreaming of new ones.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Commissar Omegaski's expression finally change from somthing that wasn't grouchy or stern for once, he emote a whole slight smile.

On one corner of his mouth, it was the happiest he had ever been seen.

"Party well Comrades, you have earned it! But once the dawn comes, we must all meet, and discuss our plans for the future, specifically what our options are for our ultimate goal and how to achive them, every designer and cosmonaught is toa ttend the meeting, giving your opinion is mandatory, failure to give your opinion will result in you being shot."

"Giving an unpatroatic opinion will also get you shot"
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Cosmonaut Dostarovaski listens attentively to the commissar. When he finishes, he said "Yes commissar! We will party well as you have commanded!"

He then finds fellow high-endurance cosmonauts Ivanovich and Faabio and challenges them to vodka-chugging.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fax Modem wears the EVA suit in the swimming pool, learning the new maneuvers. The EVA suit started leaking and he had to get out of the pool.

"Gosh darn it, when are we going to get quality suits?"

He stormed out of the room, mostly mad that he was waiting on the plan to go back up the chain of command. Hopefully the president in the White Dwelling would approve, but only time would tell. With a sigh, Fax returned to work.

-------

In Zenobia, Drago worked on his research, but only halfheartedly. It was hard enough to work with two black eyes and several pokes with the butts of rifles in the ribs. He wanted to go home, back to Murca, where he could enjoy Coca-Cola, hot dogs, and Murcan men like Fax.
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

OOC: Am I allowed to defect, sabotage something, then run off to America? :mrgreen:
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Spoiler
I suppose from a purley in character persepctive we could have von Evilstien take credit for sabataging the A series down to the appauling saftey rate it's at now and then having fled, with us finding out only after he's gone that he's the reason why it's so low?

That is assuming the game doesn't throw anything else we can use for that at us, and of course who knows how the Muricans will treat von Evilstien
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

OOC: There's always save scumming until a disaster happens, then blaming that on me. 'Nother explosion on the pad, maybe? :twisted:
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

OOC: You could always use Drago's old connections to get out of the country the way he did.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Comrade Cosmonaut Nikov adds to the general raucous celebration about Faabio's successful suborbital flight, patriotically downing the offered vodka.

As he most probably will end up riding one of those A-series rockets into either orbit or oblivion, Nikov is secretly quite alarmed at the stunning balls-up that caused the engine test failure.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

URRA!

IVAN IVANOVICH IVANOV takes the opportunity to introduce his young son, IVAN IVANOVICH IVANOV, to Zenobia's newest hero, COMRADE FAAABIO. Young IVAN seemed quite taken with the story of being blasted out into space and flying around the Earth. He wants to know when his PAPA will fly into space.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

December 1960

At the celebration, SYRGY PAVYLYVYCH greets IVAN IVANOV JUNIOR.

SYRGY is SOLEMN and DIGNIFIED. He looks VERY TIRED.

He explains that IVAN IVANOV SENIOR's turn is next. IVAN IVANOV SENIOR had been chosen to fly in Spring 1961, as the first man ever to orbit the Earth. However, SYRGY is VERY WORRIED about the ROCKET. The ROCKET FACTORY made some REALLY BIG MISTAKES, and it would not do for the ROCKET to GO BOOM while someone is RIDING IT. Especially not IVAN IVANOV SENIOR.

SYRGY and his COMRADE ENGINEERS must FIX THE ROCKET before IVAN IVANOV SENIOR can fly into space.

At some point, someone introduces IVAN IVANOV JUNIOR to young YOUNG SOVIET HEAT SHIELD ENGINEER. This will possibly be important WAY LATER ON.