My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Sarevok
The Fearless One

My Little Pony

Post by Sarevok »

MLP:FiM is the latest contagious disease spreading through the tubes of the internet.

Have you watched it ? Do you think you would enjoy it on it's own merits without the hype ?

Me ? I will post my thoughts after I finish watching the first few episodes. The urge to know what makes this children cartoon show so popular amongst adults is too great to resist. :shock:
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: My Little Pony

Post by NecronLord »

Forum wrap up, forum wrap uuuup!

*Back-Hoof-kicks this to fantasy*

I watched it without any hype on a reccommendation, and it more than won past my doubts about it.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

My god, miss Faust has some mad skills. Actually managing to make something interesting out of My Little Pony. I also have got to praise their Music People, i got "The Art of the Dress" stuck in my head.

Plus i support Winter Wrap Up for taking up the very rare Pro-Bureaucracy stance. Everything was a mess until Twi began administrating things.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

The Art of the Dress is based more than a little off of 'Putting it together.' from Sunday in the Park with George, but if you're going to crib notes, crib from the best. Actually, the song works as a metaphor for the whole show. "Bit by bit. Putting it together. Piece by piece, only way to make a work of art. Everything depends on execution, having just a vision's no solution, the Art of Making Art. Is putting it together."
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

As a bureaucrat, I both noticed and appreciated that message.

Let’s see, what else do I like about it.

The Art: It’s silly, but for the most part it’s beautiful.

The Characters: They may all exemplify one particular ‘trope’ but they do it well, and all main characters are at least somewhat two dimensional. There's some interesting stories from Lauren Faust about how she aimed to subvert the various semi-sexist elements expected - the brief for Rarity was that she should 'like dressing up', or something similar; this became 'a dressmaker/tailor who owns her own business.'

The Music: It’s really good, except when it’s supposed to be bad, at any rate.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

What is this and where do I find it? I'm not too big to admit that I watched some My Little Pony back in the day.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:What is this and where do I find it? I'm not too big to admit that I watched some My Little Pony back in the day.
I believe it goes something like this.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Derpy Hooves as drawn by Lauren Faust on Ebay. Current bid-$1425. All proceeds to go to Tsunami relief.

For those who don't know, Derpy is the fanname for a pegasus who was seen with here eyes pointed in wildly different directions in the pilot. The show's staff loves this joke apparently and go out of their way to 'derp' her eyes at least once in every episode that she appears in. 4chan and 'Bronies' seem to be in love with it.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Man, I have a feeling a bunch of people on the forum wanted to make this thread, but everyone was afraid to go first in case they were the only one.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

open_sketchbook wrote:Man, I have a feeling a bunch of people on the forum wanted to make this thread, but everyone was afraid to go first in case they were the only one.
Correct!
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I just finished episode 9. I know it wasn't intentional, but I couldn't help but think of erectile dysfunction.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Ah, to hell with it. I've been on the edge of checking it out for a while now, and this thread pushed me over. I think I'll see the pilot - not that I'm skeptical about it, mind you. I think the general reaction speaks for itself.

Also, I really like how involved Faust and the rest of the crew have been with the fandom. It's always nice to see that kind of back-and-forth.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

The pilot is a lot like the first two Discworld books. They're not bad, but the series doesn't really find its footing until episode 3.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I gotta say, if SDNET of all places is recommending this, I must go check this out :)

That being said, I still can hum the tune to the song of the first MLP cartoon back in the day...

So tell me, is there a Wind Whistler type character? That'll sell me in on the series instantly I tells ya...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Setzer wrote:The pilot is a lot like the first two Discworld books. They're not bad, but the series doesn't really find its footing until episode 3.
That's convenient then, because I included episode 3 as well. It was... well, I think "delightful" is just about the perfect word. As soon as I finished the first episodes, I wanted to watch more.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I had to start watching too after seeing stuff around the internet and then finally seeing it endorsed in this thread. So far I'm 19 episodes in it just keeps on being entertaining. Kudos to the team behind it for making a kids show that everybody can enjoy.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

AniThyng wrote:I gotta say, if SDNET of all places is recommending this, I must go check this out :)

That being said, I still can hum the tune to the song of the first MLP cartoon back in the day...

So tell me, is there a Wind Whistler type character? That'll sell me in on the series instantly I tells ya...
Of the six main characters, the closest fit would probably be Twilight Sparkle. She's a Unicorn, very scholastic and slightly cynical. In one episode, she skeptically refuses to believe that one of her friends has ESP in any way shape or form, despite her own talent being Magic. She is similarly skeptical of curses, evil Zebras living in the Everfree forest, and the possibility that nobody else has realized that Spike is crushing on Rarity.

On the other hand, Twilight is a very driven Type A personality who will haul the Posey expy up the mountain to confront a dragon if she thinks it's the best thing to do. Her non-magical skills seem to mainly revolve around Taking Charge and Getting it Done.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

open_sketchbook wrote:Man, I have a feeling a bunch of people on the forum wanted to make this thread, but everyone was afraid to go first in case they were the only one.
Yes, this is the case. :D

Here, I will let Calvin and Hobbes explain.

"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Vehrec wrote:
AniThyng wrote:I gotta say, if SDNET of all places is recommending this, I must go check this out :)

Of the six main characters, the closest fit would probably be Twilight Sparkle. She's a Unicorn, very scholastic and slightly cynical. In one episode, she skeptically refuses to believe that one of her friends has ESP in any way shape or form, despite her own talent being Magic. She is similarly skeptical of curses, evil Zebras living in the Everfree forest, and the possibility that nobody else has realized that Spike is crushing on Rarity.

On the other hand, Twilight is a very driven Type A personality who will haul the Posey expy up the mountain to confront a dragon if she thinks it's the best thing to do. Her non-magical skills seem to mainly revolve around Taking Charge and Getting it Done.
Yep, that sounds like Wind Whistler's personality to me :) ... (mainly I remember an episode where the other ponies shunned her (calling her heartless) after she tried applying logic and rationality to something. I can't remember the specifics but the emotional impact was there. I guess I must have been, 8 or something. It was on VHS and was actually for my kid sister.)
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

The only ponies who ignore this thing called logic all the time in this show would probably be Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, the former because thinking slows you down, and the later because logic gets in the way of PARTIES and she was raised by a bunch of joyless rock farmers. On the other hand, both of them have been bitten by an inability to think things through-Pinkie triggered a war, and Dash...well you don't fight a dragon single-hoofed unless you're armed with THE STARE.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Well I just watched the first few episodes and I will join in the chores of "why the hell is this so damned entertaining" ???
I mean, bit from bit I keep thinking, This is for girls,it's pink and silly...and yet....I can't stop watching it!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Well, I'm at episode 16 now (yaaaaay). I'm kind of dreading catching up - and the end of the season.

But I have to say, Winter Wrap-Up is the catchiest song I've heard in quite a while. It's insane.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I recently started watching this, and I have mixed feelings. About the show? No, the show is great! Good characters, catchy songs, good story, and well told too. It's just the fact that it's an ongoing series. While on the bright side this means new content is coming out, it also means that I have to wait a week to see new things! I've been spoiled by archives, I tell ya.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Ok watched upto Episode 9 now. The series is fairly entertaining but it is no Avatar:TLA in terms quality. After 9 episodes or so it has also become fairly predictable. I hope future episodes introduce an overall story arc.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.